View Full Version : Did you guys see Clinton on Letterman?

Mark LeDrew
09-12-2002, 12:13 AM
He is still the man. I say we find a way to give the guy another four years in the Oval Office.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/shiggy.jpg

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:18 AM
CHANGEDEH CONSTITUTION?

bonsor
09-12-2002, 12:18 AM
he can still be elected, you know

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:19 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ******:
he can still be elected, you know</font>

NUP

bonsor
09-12-2002, 12:19 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
NUP</font>

uh

yes he can

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Amendment XXII
(thing) by CentrX (7 hr) (print) ? Wed Apr 26 2000 at 21:25:55

Amendment XXII to the Constitution of the United States of America was ratified February 27, 1951.
Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.
Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States within seven years from the date of its submission to the States by the Congress.

eh considering the apathetic american public this amendment really is a godsend

sawdust restaurants
09-12-2002, 12:20 AM
uh

yes he can</font>

He can?

bonsor
09-12-2002, 12:23 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
He can?

</font>

dude

i swear to god, i remember that anyone can serve as many terms as they could as long as there weren't more than 2 consectuaive terms.

i swear.

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:24 AM
dude

i swear to god, i remember that anyone can serve as many terms as they could as long as there weren't more than 2 consectuaive terms.

i swear.

</font>

<font color=black>self-righteous

[This message has been edited by Samsa (edited 09-12-2002).]

sawdust restaurants
09-12-2002, 12:26 AM
dude

i swear.

</font>

Nope. That's governorships, not presidencies.

Edit: And not even all governorships. Depends on the state's constitution.

[This message has been edited by sawdust restaurants (edited 09-12-2002).]

Krafty
09-12-2002, 12:26 AM
dude

i swear.

</font>
I really really don't think so.

sawdust restaurants
09-12-2002, 12:28 AM
"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice ... "

That's pretty cut and dry.

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:31 AM
eh i shouldn't bother being subtle. i closed-captionly called ****** self-righteous but no one likes to play games like that except c-mac. i give up.

Best Looking Boy
09-12-2002, 12:37 AM
He's such a freaking player. He always knows what to say. I envy him.

Mark LeDrew
09-12-2002, 12:39 AM
<self-righteous>

</font>

haha

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:41 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mark LeDrew:
haha</font>

<NEVERMIND. HI MARK LEDREW. HOW ARE YOUR SOCKS?>

bonsor
09-12-2002, 12:44 AM
eh i shouldn't bother being subtle. i closed-captionly called ****** self-righteous but no one likes to play games like that except c-mac. i give up.</font>
Shut up. You don't know me, cunt.

Samsa
09-12-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Samsa:
eh i shouldn't bother being subtle. i closed-captionly called ****** self-righteous but no one likes to play games like that except c-mac. i give up.</font>
Shut up. You don't know me, cunt.

self-righteous

Best Looking Boy
09-12-2002, 12:49 AM
About what? You haven't seen his picture about a 1000 times?

bittertrance
09-12-2002, 01:24 AM
Shut up. You don't know me, cunt.[/B]</font>

sadly after all of your self loathing,narcissistic, and spitefull posts towards others, we do

sleeper
09-12-2002, 08:51 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mark LeDrew:
He is still the man.
</font>

i was so impressed watching him on letterman. man, i wouldnt mind him being president again. maybe its after seeing bush stumble his way around his speeches over the past year, but clinton was fluent, relaxed and new what the fuck he was talking about. i loved when he went off about greenhouse gases. he basically, indirectly, completely bashed most of bush's policies. it was great, i shouldve taped it

BlueStar
09-12-2002, 09:05 AM
<font color=#ADD8E6>I <3 Clinton!

And I still believe that if the Gore campaign had utilized Clinton more and not spent so much time trying to distance themselves from Clinton that the election would not have been as close as it was.

------------------
~*~Samantha~*~

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

BlueStar
09-12-2002, 09:08 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
i loved when he went off about greenhouse gases. he basically, indirectly, completely bashed most of bush's policies.</font>

<font color=#ADD8E6>That was great. I was an intern at the Executive Office of the President's Council on Environmental Quality towards the end of the Clinton administration and Clinton passed so many Executive Orders on environmental issues...then Buch came in and overturned them all.

------------------
~*~Samantha~*~

sleeper
09-12-2002, 09:10 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by BlueStar:

And I still believe that if the Gore campaign had utilized Clinton more and not spent so much time trying to distance themselves from Clinton that the election would not have been as close as it was.

</font>

that, and the fact that bush stole the election

[This message has been edited by sleeper (edited 09-12-2002).]

BlueStar
09-12-2002, 09:27 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
that, and the fact that bush stole the election
</font>

<font color=#ADD8E6>It ain't over until your brother counts the votes.

------------------
~*~Samantha~*~

sleeper
09-12-2002, 09:35 AM
<font color=#ADD8E6>It ain't over until your brother counts the votes.

</font>

lol

strange_one
09-12-2002, 09:37 AM
<font color=33FFFF> cool, I'm gonna watch it here tonight now

Random Female
09-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Suze, I think ******'s right on this one. I remember learning the same thing. they changed it for Roosevelt so that you could'nt serve consecutive terms, but if you get re-elected later i think you can come back.

Mayfuck
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Shut the fuck up, Elisa.

Samsa
09-12-2002, 10:23 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Random Female:
Suze, I think ******'s right on this one. I remember learning the same thing. they changed it for Roosevelt so that you could'nt serve consecutive terms, but if you get re-elected later i think you can come back.</font>

elisa, i posted the fucking amendment. what else do you want?

Samsa
09-12-2002, 10:28 AM
here's a grolier encyclopedia article that basicaly says the same thing the amendment says but you people for some reason have an inability to trust primary documents

22ND AMENDMENT

The Twenty-Second Amendment (1951) to the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES limits the presidential tenure to two terms of office. It further states that if a VICE-PRESIDENT succeeds to the PRESIDENCY with two years or less of the former president's term remaining, then the new president may be elected for two more terms; otherwise, the new president may be elected for only one more term.

This amendment was proposed by a Republican CONGRESS in reaction to the four-term presidency of Franklin D. ROOSEVELT, who broke the two-term tradition begun by George WASHINGTON. It also reflected national concern with the prolonged domination of any one president in that office and the growth of executive power. Critics have felt that it weakens a second-term president and could present a hazard in a time of crisis.

Samsa
09-12-2002, 10:31 AM
'Because There's a 22nd Amendment'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Webcast
Political Points
Video: Clinton's Political Ads
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By LISA TOZZI
resident Bill Clinton brought down the house Thursday night at the White House Radio & Television Correspondents annual dinner, where he aired a series of Gore for President "commercials." The mock ads were replayed on Friday's Political Points.

The mock campaign spots featured video clips from the president's "A Place Called Hope" ad along with narration by Mr. Clinton that poked fun at his desire to remain in the spotlight. Two of the final slogans were "Al Gore: Because there's a 22nd Amendment," and "Too much like Clinton? Good for him. Good for us."

If that kind of endorsement isn't ringing enough for Mr. Gore, he can take satisfaction in the fact that he has picked up the coveted hairband/heavy-****l vote. Members of Twisted Sister, the 1980's heavy ****l band that fell under attack during Tipper Gore's controversial crusade to clean up pop music, are letting bygones be bygones.

"I'm sort of supporting Al Gore, which is bizarre," says lead singer Dee Snider, who testified at the infamous 1985 Senate hearings on whether record albums and CDs should carry warning labels. "I don't trust the guy as far as I can throw him. He's a conservative liberal, but I think he's going to chew up George W. (Bush) and spit him out. He's an old-school, dirty-fighting politician."

Political Points also continued its coverage of tight U.S. House and Senate races Friday, focusing on Michigan's 8th District. Guest Dianne Byrum, the Democratic candidate running against Republican Mike Rogers (a guest on the March 31st Webcast), talked about her campaign to succeed incumbent Congresswoman Debbie Stabenow.

The race is considered key in the Democrats' effort to regain control of the U.S. House of Representatives.

Political Points is a live Webcast from ABCNews.com and The New York Times on the Web.

melombar
09-12-2002, 01:21 PM
....can't.....let......this.......go...

</font></font>

<font color=#ADD8E6>I was an intern... towards the end of the Clinton administration
</font></font>

who came first? joey or bill?

------------------
Acoustic Wonderland is the greatest.

Salena Child
09-12-2002, 01:37 PM
ick. i'm glad i missed it.

The Omega Concern
09-12-2002, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't expect Letterman to be like Bill O'Reilly in that format, nor should he have been, but his gushing over Clinton is symptomatic of being enthralled by a great poet. He doesnt have to make sense, as long as it feels good going down.

The man is brilliant. This is what makes him dangerous and an outright demagogue. I'll just assume y'all Clinton Coolade drinkers will disagree with me on that, the two-term limit is there largely so that a populace doesnt get too enthralled with a charismatic leader.

Being masterful at rhetoric doesnt make a man a great (or even good) president, despite how the media frames Clinton as such. He was better for them (and comedians) then the country and his own party for that matter.

That's what makes me laugh about it all. He left his own party in shambles, but hey, he's still trying to work on his legacy and this Letterman appearance is proof of that.

Elvis The Fat Years
09-12-2002, 03:01 PM
http://tynan-pc.ucsd.edu/images/fullsize_images/Yun_with_Peace_Sign.jpg

Homerpalooza
09-13-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm not a fan of all of Clinton's policies, but he is such an intelligent guy. I mean can you even imagine seeing our current president discussing foreign policy the way Clinton did on Letterman? Or any other policy, for that matter.

Samsa
09-13-2002, 04:24 PM
apparently clinton has one of the highest presidential iqs ever. i forget where i heard that. maybe i'm making it up. if i'm not making it up i should be able to remember oh. jimmy carter is the winnar i think but maybe i'm making that up too.

Stearnsie
09-13-2002, 04:27 PM
Clinton is the man!

Damn that two term limit policy!

Samsa
09-13-2002, 04:30 PM
if not for that two limit term policy we'd have a 90-something-year-old ex-movie star with alzheimers as our president right now.

come to think about it what we have isn't much worse.

sleeper
09-13-2002, 04:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Homerpalooza:
I mean can you even imagine seeing our current president discussing foreign policy the way Clinton did on Letterman? Or any other policy, for that matter.</font>

god thatd be good. id pay to see that. clinton handled himself so well, i cant imagine bush tackling one of those questions. hed throw around big words and hope noone notices

[This message has been edited by sleeper (edited 09-13-2002).]

Undone
09-13-2002, 05:13 PM
if not for that two limit term policy we'd have a 90-something-year-old ex-movie star with alzheimers as our president right now.

come to think about it what we have isn't much worse.</font>

<font color="CC33CC">That made me laugh my ass off.

twice
09-14-2002, 08:06 PM
http://www.bmstahoe.com/J/Libertarian/duh.jpg

Random Female
09-14-2002, 08:44 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Shut the fuck up, Elisa.</font>now that was uncalled for. all i know is that there was a president pre-1900 that was elected, was off for a term, and was then re-elected. I guess that was amended with the Roosevelt amendment but christ it's an honest mistake.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Shut the fuck up, Elisa.</font>now that was uncalled for. all i know is that there was a president pre-1900 that was elected, was off for a term, and was then re-elected. I guess that was amended with the Roosevelt amendment but christ it's an honest mistake.

well i know teddy roosevelt RAN after he left office...i'll try to find out if there was someone else who actually was elected . but there haven't been any presidents who have served more than 2 terms besides fdr. george washington started that tradition and it was held for 250 years.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 08:59 PM
yeah. teddy roosevelt served twice, took a break, ran again, and wasn't elected.

Random Female
09-14-2002, 09:00 PM

well i know teddy roosevelt RAN after he left office...i'll try to find out if there was someone else who actually was elected . but there haven't been any presidents who have served more than 2 terms besides fdr. george washington started that tradition and it was held for 250 years.</font>shit that's what i'm thinking of. he was total a two term president, but i think it was like 2.5 because he was vp, that guy died, and he served another. then he went away and came back. but i can't remember and i don't have my notes form that class anymore

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:01 PM
grover cleveland!

4 Mar 1885 - 4 Mar 1889 Grover Cleveland (1st time) Dem (b. 1837 - d. 1908)
4 Mar 1889 - 4 Mar 1893 Benjamin Harrison Rep (b. 1833 - d. 1901)
4 Mar 1893 - 4 Mar 1897 Grover Cleveland (2nd time) Dem (s.a.)

Random Female
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
ding ding ding jackpot. still he wasn't a 2+ term.

bonsor
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
I believe it was Garfield who served two non consecutive terms.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:03 PM
I believe it was Garfield who served two non consecutive terms.</font>

4 Mar 1881 - 19 Sep 1881 James A. Garfield Rep (b. 1831 - d. 1881)

ASSSASSINATION4U?

bonsor
09-14-2002, 09:05 PM

ASSSASSINATION4U?</font> Actually, he died of some sort of illness, now that I remember.

What about taft?

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:06 PM
ding ding ding jackpot. still he wasn't a 2+ term.</font>

ding ding ding jackpot for what? if you were referring to your post above cleveland isn't your guy. he was elected both times (to my knowledge).

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:06 PM
Grover Cleveland
(person) by Mike626 (4 d) (print) ? 1 C! Wed Aug 15 2001 at 00:28:44

Introduction
Grover Cleveland (March 18, 1837-June 24, 1908) was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States, and the only president to be elected to two non-consecutive terms from 1885-1889 and again in 1893-1897. During his time in office he was known for attempting to take a bipartisan view, and not waiver to the political pressures of his party. As a result, he offended nearly every political group, as well as several influential private interests. In sharp contrast to most politicos, he is remembered for the steadfast nature of his integrity, as opposed to any specific achievement during his tenure as President.

bonsor
09-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Oh yes, other replies before mine.

I'm a smart'un.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:10 PM

well i know teddy roosevelt RAN after he left office...i'll try to find out if there was someone else who actually was elected . but there haven't been any presidents who have served more than 2 terms besides fdr. george washington started that tradition and it was held for 250 years.</font>shit that's what i'm thinking of. he was total a two term president, but i think it was like 2.5 because he was vp, that guy died, and he served another. then he went away and came back. but i can't remember and i don't have my notes form that class anymore

well teddy roosevelt became president when mckinley died, then served another term, then ran like a term later and as mentioned before lost. so no he wasn't a 2.5 term president..and...calvin coolidge was a 1.5 term president (harding died and..

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?lastnode_id=386709&node_id=40196

well here. you look for yourself.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 09:13 PM

ASSSASSINATION4U?</font> Actually, he died of some sort of illness, now that I remember.

What about taft?

garfield was assassinated. it is a funny story but i forget exactly oh. some mentally ill bureaucrat i think.

william henry harrison died of pneumonia he contracted from a rainy day at inauguration or something..

harding also died of pneumonia or something.

taft served a single term and didn't get a cold or get shot or anything.

sawdust restaurants
09-14-2002, 10:13 PM
The story of Garfield's assassination:

Garfield was assassinated by a man named Charles Guiteau. Both were Republicans, but Guiteau was a member of what was then known as the Stalwart faction of Republicans: the most conservative part of the party, opposing civil service reform, favoring patronage and protective tariffs.

Garfield was a Republican, but a more moderate Half-Breed in favor of some civil service reform, more leniency towards the South, etc.

Guiteau is supposed to have killed him for that reason, and for the fact that Garfield's vice president, Chester Arthur, was a Stalwart. Guiteau thought under the system of patronage the government had at the time that he would be considered a hero for putting a Stalwart in office and thus would receive a lucrative governmental position.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 10:42 PM
well aren't you just a little human textbook.

sawdust restaurants
09-14-2002, 11:12 PM
Nah, I piece-mealed it from a bunch of websites. I haven't studied history since junior year of high school ... the story rings a bell now, but I didn't remember it off the top of my head.

Or the short version: no, iz yuo.

Samsa
09-14-2002, 11:22 PM
so you did all that research just so you could one-up me?

bonsor
09-14-2002, 11:28 PM
so you did all that research just so you could one-up me?</font>

how dare he!

Samsa
09-14-2002, 11:36 PM
how dare he!</font>

no. exactly. he likes to go into threads and try to prove how he's the most knowledgeable ass in the world. even when it's in reply to someone who obviously and vocally HATES him and never wants him to post anywhere near her again.

sawdust restaurants
09-15-2002, 12:39 AM
Oh, come on, Suze. I didn't even quote you. And it has nothing to do with me trying to prove I'm "knowledgeable" or to one-up you; if I were really trying to show off, would I have admitted that I had to look up the story? I think the discussion in this thread (at least on page 2) is interesting, and I think the story is interesting, so I posted it. No more, no less. And trust me--your feelings towards me are mutual, i.e., I have no inclination to have anything more to do with you so long as I am on Netphoria.

Samsa
09-15-2002, 01:02 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
Oh, come on, Suze. I didn't even quote you. And it has nothing to do with me trying to prove I'm "knowledgeable" or to one-up you; if I were really trying to show off, would I have admitted that I had to look up the story? I think the discussion in this thread (at least on page 2) is interesting, and I think the story is interesting, so I posted it. No more, no less. And trust me--your feelings towards me are mutual, i.e., I have no inclination to have anything more to do with you so long as I am on Netphoria.</font>

then go the fuck away you weirdo

sppunk
09-15-2002, 01:07 AM
here we go again.

Back to topic, that was one of the better late night interviews I've seen in a while. I always enjoy when Dan Rather is on Letterman, even though I hate Rather.

------------------
The stars are projectors, yeah
Projectiní our lives down to this planet Earth (http://www.chrisanderson.cjb.net)

JoaoMiguel
09-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Clintoris > Bush

bittertrance
09-15-2002, 01:37 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by JoaoMiguel:
Clintoris > Bush</font>

two totally different eras here though...would clinton have done anything different that bush has done so far?

sawdust restaurants
09-15-2002, 10:07 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
two totally different eras here though...would clinton have done anything different that bush has done so far?</font>

Stuff that's different in the Democratic ideology, sure. Environmental issues, for example ... Kyoto and ANWR and Superfund, for example, probably wouldn't have taken the hits that they've taken under the Bush administration. And Social Security, abortion rights ... you know, things that presidents do when they get in office.

As far as the war goes? I doubt it. Bubba can talk the talk all he wants but it's mostly bullshit, and it always has been. I don't know if he'd have handled anything 9/11-related differently. In fact, while I liked him, I think Clinton was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to the left. Well, besides politik-as-usual, which essentially negates the left and the right anyway.

DeviousJ
09-15-2002, 12:48 PM
then go the fuck away you weirdo</font>

Stop fighting

Samsa
09-15-2002, 12:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
Stop fighting</font>

shut up

The Omega Concern
09-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Demagogue

[Noun:] A leader who obtains power by means of appeals to the emotions and prejudices of the populace.

hence..."I feel your pain."

Clinton also was recruited by the Communist party in both Russia and China. Over the cold-war years the Communist party routinely would invite the best and brightest college students to tour Moscow. Clinton was part of a 60 person contingnent that traveled to the Russian capital to learn about the culture.

The up-shot is, the Communist party wanted to instill as much centralized government ideals into American academia as possible. Their dragnet of american college students was an effort to hopefully have one of them become president and further the communist agenda.

Ironically, Clinton comes of age in '92 and the Russian communist party is all but completely destroyed...but not the Chinese wing (i'll stop there because the assertion that Clinton was indeed a "Manchurian Candidate" is fascinating and rather detailed).

I dont think Clinton was a communist or even socialist or much of anything beyond an out of control oppurtunist who only cared about liberal/conservative/democrat/republican so long as it all served his ego and legacy.

Hillary is the ideal Communist of the family...and her attempt at nationalized health care for all citizens is exhibit A of the proof.