View Full Version : the billy's daughter hoax - why and how i did it

quidditch champ
08-12-2002, 09:02 PM
alright, let me just say a few things to start with. these are the true things:
-my name really is skye
-i really do live in astoria, oregon
-i really was born on july 16th... just not in 1991
-before posting those messages, i really had not been to the official smashing pumpkins board (or ANY smashing pumpkins board) before in my life, and i have no other screen names there.

these are the false things:
-my last name is not delango... like i'd be stupid enough to post my real last name on the internet?!?!?!
-i know exactly who my dad is, lol, i can hear the show he's watching on tv in another room as i type this.

okay, now i'll tell you the story of how i did this and why. it all starts about.... eh i dunno, roughly 2 1/2 months ago? anyway, it started a few days after school let out. oh, and i'm 15, by the way. me and a bunch of my friends were flipping through our old middle school yearbook and laughing at how dorky we all were when my smashing pumpkins-obsessed friend (who will be called hannah to protect her identity), who didn't buy a copy of that yearbook, saw this picture of 4 girls. she pointed to the girl all the way on the right and said something like, "wow, doesn't that girl look a helluva lot like billy corgan?"

of course we teased her a little for that, because she's so obsessed that to her EVERYONE looks like billy corgan. but then she showed us some pics of him from a website and we were like "day-um. she looks like she could be his daughter!" so the pic i showed all of you wasn't photoshopped in the least. but if that girl turned out to really be billy corgan's daughter, i'd laugh myself silly.

fast-forward a few weeks. everyone's on vacation or at camp or working and i'm bored out of my mind. my writing group at my local library, which i've gone to every saturday since i was nine, is closed this summer because the leader of the group just got married and is on her honeymoon. yes, i like to write. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif remembering the girl from my old school that looked like billy corgan, i thought how cool it would be if he really HAD a daughter somewhere out there - he is a rockstar, isn't he!

so i call up my friend hannah and tell her "i'm going to write a story about a girl who finds out she's billy corgan's daughter. could you give me some info about the pumpkins so i can make it realistic?"

after i assure her several times that i'm not going to even try to get the story published anywhere (i'd get my ass sued off in a snap) she gives me the url of a website, www.spfc.org, (http://www.spfc.org,) and the information that it's possible because the whole band did a lot of drugs during the really early periods.

i decide to make the girl eleven years old - just old enough to care who her father is, but just young enough so she doesn't know quite how to go about finding him, which would make for a more interesting plot. keep in mind that in the beginning i had no intention of actually fooling anybody with this, and the girl's name was going to be adelaide delango. (which it still is - i just made her nickname "skye" last on so i wouldn't have to create all these new e-mail addresses and stuff). so she was born in 1991. let's say, on my birthday. why not. i subtracted nine months, give or take a few days, and decided to use the pumpkin's performance at marquette university as the conception date. why marquette u? it's a college. drugs and co-eds and promiscuous sex. totally believeble.

i tell hannah all of this and she's very excited about the story. she says "i'll have to post it on some pumpkins boards when it's done - they'll probably enjoy it."
so we're planning on posting it on message boards and on fanfiction.net (who knew there was a smashing pumpkins section!) when suddenly hannah goes "wait a minute... all the facts check out, right?"
i go "yea, why?"
she does this devious grin and goes "why dont you pretend to be this girl and post it NOW?"

that's when it stopped being a story, and adelaide stopped being a character. we got more engrossed in the idea immediately, trying to tie up every loose end in the story. (of course we didn't know billy kept a tour diary!) we wrote character bios for everyone involved - adelaide (or skye), her mother judith, her grandparents... everybody. we even did some research on marquette university. hannah was excited because she'd seen a few "trolls" trying to convince people of stuff like this - but they didn't go in-depth. they didn't really honestly TRY to convince anyone. we wanted to see how far we could go with this.

if i'd done a little more research and found out that the band played in the cafeteria, i'd been able to take it farther, and the other characters would have gotten some more action in the story. a real pity.

so anyway, the fact that i wasn't a real smashing pumpkins fan and didn't know all that much about the band gave me the chance to add realism to it. i put myself in an eleven-year-old's mind and went through the processes i felt she would have gone through after finding out that her father was a rock star.

first: do a search online for "smashing pumpkins." of course, the first site to pop up would be the official one. look through the official site... hmm, no contact information. well, maybe the fans know how to contact him? maybe they can tell me something about him? register at the board. ask if anyone has any info about him, or how to contact him.

the most important thing was to type like a child - but type like one who was familiar with the internet. maybe she hung out at aol "kids only" boards.

i found out all over again from some people i exchanged ims with that billy was now in a band called zwan, and apparently he read posts on that board. so i registered there and posted a letter. good grammar, but simply sentences - the result of elementary school english classes and word processor spellcheck. i guess it was a bit too good, but at least my other posts and ims had enough misspellings to convince people.

some people knew exactly what was going on, and pretended to believe me in order to convince others. melancholia, for example, was in on it the whole time.

i think this was a lot of fun. i think i'll still write that story, only i'll make it much more interesting (naturally). maybe you'll see it on fanfiction.net. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

let this be a lesson to all of you not to be so gullible.

sp_aced
08-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Terror Tag rules over Quidditch.

------------------
Remember how you strung the colored lights from christmas tree to me?

Affect
08-12-2002, 09:05 PM
Fuck reading that shit. You're dumb.

undivinemartyr
08-12-2002, 09:06 PM
Uh-huh, that's great.
*Yawn*.
Post it in the SP board.

happy peter pan
08-12-2002, 09:09 PM
I only have one thing to say: click (http://www.audioflux.com/lowprices/)

Orchestra
08-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Jenn YOU BITCH!!!!<3

Orchestra
08-12-2002, 09:12 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affect:
Fuck reading that shit. You're dumb.</font>

armos
08-12-2002, 09:14 PM
Wow.

melancholia
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
"some people knew exactly what was going on, and pretended to believe me in order to convince others. melancholia, for example, was in on it the whole time."

sorry...i IM'd Skye last night, and he was very honest about it... he had me going for a few hours though. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Magic the Gathering
08-12-2002, 09:23 PM
THIS JUST IN: NOBODY CARES.

Ammy
08-12-2002, 09:24 PM
wow. that is the dumbest thing i have read in a long time.

Orchestra
08-12-2002, 09:26 PM
you have just wasted your time

Irrelevant
08-12-2002, 09:28 PM
hoax? woax.

melancholia
08-12-2002, 09:29 PM
am i the only one who thought this was a brilliant idea? i mean... that girl still fucking looks like b0lly...regardless.

sp_aced
08-12-2002, 09:30 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by melancholia:
am i the only one who thought this was a brilliant idea? i mean... that girl still fucking looks like b0lly...regardless.</font>

I think done several years ago people would have cared...

Magic the Gathering
am i the only one who thought this was a brilliant idea? </font>

YES.

Affect
am i the only one who thought this was a brilliant idea? i mean... that girl still fucking looks like b0lly...regardless.</font>
Go play with some shiny objects, and get the fuck off Netphoria.

Ihaman
08-12-2002, 09:39 PM
i still don't understand the following:

-why she posted it here

-why any of us would care

the sluttiness must cloud her percetption.

melancholia
08-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by melancholia:
Go play with some shiny objects, and get the fuck off Netphoria.

You know, and I mean this in the worst possible way...if it came down to who was hated more here, you or me. The answer would be you. Take your own fucking advice.

melancholia
08-12-2002, 09:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ihaman:
i still don't understand the following:

-why she posted it here

-why any of us would care

the sluttiness must cloud her percetption.</font>

She didn't post it here. She posted it on the Oboard, and someone else posted it here. Then I created this thread before I knew it was a hoax.

DeviousJ
08-12-2002, 09:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by quidditch champ:
the most important thing was to type like a child - but type like one who was familiar with the internet. maybe she hung out at aol "kids only" boards. </font>

I like the way the original post was much more well-written than this one

Elvis The Fat Years
08-12-2002, 10:07 PM
WHO GIVES A FUCK

Thoughtless
08-12-2002, 10:10 PM
alright, let me just say a few things to start with. these are the true things:
-my name really is skye
-i really do live in astoria, oregon
-i really was born on july 16th... just not in 1991
-before posting those messages, i really had not been to the official smashing pumpkins board (or ANY smashing pumpkins board) before in my life, and i have no other screen names there.

these are the false things:
-my last name is not delango... like i'd be stupid enough to post my real last name on the internet?!?!?!
-i know exactly who my dad is, lol, i can hear the show he's watching on tv in another room as i type this.

okay, now i'll tell you the story of how i did this and why. it all starts about.... eh i dunno, roughly 2 1/2 months ago? anyway, it started a few days after school let out. oh, and i'm 15, by the way. me and a bunch of my friends were flipping through our old middle school yearbook and laughing at how dorky we all were when my smashing pumpkins-obsessed friend (who will be called hannah to protect her identity), who didn't buy a copy of that yearbook, saw this picture of 4 girls. she pointed to the girl all the way on the right and said something like, "wow, doesn't that girl look a helluva lot like billy corgan?"

of course we teased her a little for that, because she's so obsessed that to her EVERYONE looks like billy corgan. but then she showed us some pics of him from a website and we were like "day-um. she looks like she could be his daughter!" so the pic i showed all of you wasn't photoshopped in the least. but if that girl turned out to really be billy corgan's daughter, i'd laugh myself silly.

fast-forward a few weeks. everyone's on vacation or at camp or working and i'm bored out of my mind. my writing group at my local library, which i've gone to every saturday since i was nine, is closed this summer because the leader of the group just got married and is on her honeymoon. yes, i like to write. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif remembering the girl from my old school that looked like billy corgan, i thought how cool it would be if he really HAD a daughter somewhere out there - he is a rockstar, isn't he!

so i call up my friend hannah and tell her "i'm going to write a story about a girl who finds out she's billy corgan's daughter. could you give me some info about the pumpkins so i can make it realistic?"

after i assure her several times that i'm not going to even try to get the story published anywhere (i'd get my ass sued off in a snap) she gives me the url of a website, www.spfc.org, (http://www.spfc.org,) and the information that it's possible because the whole band did a lot of drugs during the really early periods.

i decide to make the girl eleven years old - just old enough to care who her father is, but just young enough so she doesn't know quite how to go about finding him, which would make for a more interesting plot. keep in mind that in the beginning i had no intention of actually fooling anybody with this, and the girl's name was going to be adelaide delango. (which it still is - i just made her nickname "skye" last on so i wouldn't have to create all these new e-mail addresses and stuff). so she was born in 1991. let's say, on my birthday. why not. i subtracted nine months, give or take a few days, and decided to use the pumpkin's performance at marquette university as the conception date. why marquette u? it's a college. drugs and co-eds and promiscuous sex. totally believeble.

i tell hannah all of this and she's very excited about the story. she says "i'll have to post it on some pumpkins boards when it's done - they'll probably enjoy it."
so we're planning on posting it on message boards and on fanfiction.net (who knew there was a smashing pumpkins section!) when suddenly hannah goes "wait a minute... all the facts check out, right?"
i go "yea, why?"
she does this devious grin and goes "why dont you pretend to be this girl and post it NOW?"

that's when it stopped being a story, and adelaide stopped being a character. we got more engrossed in the idea immediately, trying to tie up every loose end in the story. (of course we didn't know billy kept a tour diary!) we wrote character bios for everyone involved - adelaide (or skye), her mother judith, her grandparents... everybody. we even did some research on marquette university. hannah was excited because she'd seen a few "trolls" trying to convince people of stuff like this - but they didn't go in-depth. they didn't really honestly TRY to convince anyone. we wanted to see how far we could go with this.

if i'd done a little more research and found out that the band played in the cafeteria, i'd been able to take it farther, and the other characters would have gotten some more action in the story. a real pity.

so anyway, the fact that i wasn't a real smashing pumpkins fan and didn't know all that much about the band gave me the chance to add realism to it. i put myself in an eleven-year-old's mind and went through the processes i felt she would have gone through after finding out that her father was a rock star.

first: do a search online for "smashing pumpkins." of course, the first site to pop up would be the official one. look through the official site... hmm, no contact information. well, maybe the fans know how to contact him? maybe they can tell me something about him? register at the board. ask if anyone has any info about him, or how to contact him.

the most important thing was to type like a child - but type like one who was familiar with the internet. maybe she hung out at aol "kids only" boards.

i found out all over again from some people i exchanged ims with that billy was now in a band called zwan, and apparently he read posts on that board. so i registered there and posted a letter. good grammar, but simply sentences - the result of elementary school english classes and word processor spellcheck. i guess it was a bit too good, but at least my other posts and ims had enough misspellings to convince people.

some people knew exactly what was going on, and pretended to believe me in order to convince others. melancholia, for example, was in on it the whole time.

i think this was a lot of fun. i think i'll still write that story, only i'll make it much more interesting (naturally). maybe you'll see it on fanfiction.net. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

let this be a lesson to all of you not to be so gullible.</font>

Kick ass, now I can go back to playing www.livejournal.com/~billy_jr_jr (http://www.livejournal.com/~billy_jr_jr) without feeling strange.

------------------
I am so funky.

BlueStar
08-12-2002, 10:20 PM
Go play with some shiny objects, and get the fuck off Netphoria.</font>

<font color=#ADD8E6>

------------------
~*~Samantha~*~

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

rawkstar
08-12-2002, 10:25 PM
...and we were like day-um...</font>

sawdust restaurants
08-13-2002, 12:09 AM
-my last name is not delango... like i'd be stupid enough to post my real last name on the internet?!?!?!</font>

This was my favorite part.

bonsor
08-13-2002, 12:15 AM
</font>Are you calling me dumb?

Smiley33
08-13-2002, 12:40 AM
lol, the things i miss when i'm at work pulling senile people out of chocolate.

rating: gay

starla of the vast skies
08-13-2002, 12:50 AM
Can someone post that pic? I want to see this hah.

------------------
blah blah blah

AIM: XxElegantChaosxX

sppunk
08-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Wait: bOlly has a d1ck??!!!?@@!

Ammy
08-13-2002, 12:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sppunk:
Wait: bOlly has a d1ck??!!!?@@! </font>

eeeewwww.... no thinking of bolly as human, what's wrong with you?!

Ganymede33
08-13-2002, 01:01 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Harry Potter Chink, um chick:
IM A MORON, I THINK PEPOLE WILL CARE ABOUT ME WASTING MY LIFE AWAY</font>

Johnnyg0at
08-13-2002, 01:20 AM
Of course it wasn't true. Billy has had sex with only 3 people his entire life: Courtney Love, Yelena Yemchuk, and Jimmy C.

MADpeace
08-13-2002, 01:38 AM
my writing group at my local library, which i've gone to every saturday since i was nine, is closed this summer because the leader of the group just got married and is on her honeymoon. </font>

oh. uhm. dang.

------------------
look at me........
http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/gallery5/20026241025832515.jpg
.....now look at you.....