View Full Version : Bill O'Reilly is scum:

Tessellation
07-22-2002, 12:29 AM
He's an ultraconservative jerk who refuses to let his guests put in rebuttals to his oft-unsubstantiated claims. And don't you just hate it how the only letters he puts on the air praise him?

On "Inside Edition": "We won Peabodys!"[that show has never won a Peabody]

Warsaw
07-22-2002, 12:31 AM
I liked him when he hosted "SIGHTINGS". A show about UFOs and bigfoot.

Travis_Wright
07-22-2002, 12:33 AM
i like him

melancholia
07-22-2002, 12:33 AM
i want to smash bill's face almost as bad as i want to smash jerry.

melancholia
07-22-2002, 12:34 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Travis_Wright:
i like him</font>

republican?

Travis_Wright
07-22-2002, 12:35 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by melancholia:
republican?</font>

i don't vote

bittertrance
07-22-2002, 12:38 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Tessellation:
He's an ultraconservative jerk who refuses to let his guests put in rebuttals to his oft-unsubstantiated claims. And don't you just hate it how the only letters he puts on the air praise him?

</font>

you must not watch his show that much....half of the letters and emails are from people who dont like him (yet still watch his show)

also, he is always non partisan...he argues for points and ideas because of how he thinks not because of what party he aligns himself with ...if he even does that; i have never heard him say "i am republican"

Ihaman
07-22-2002, 12:42 AM
did anyone see the one about the circuit parties? he brought in two gay guys (FLAMING!) with opposing views, and they almost had a fist fight. it roxored.

Andrew_Pakula
07-22-2002, 01:38 AM
I've only really seen him once doing an interview and I think he is a horrible interviewer.

It doesn't matter what his views are on the subject at hand, he has to give at the very least give the respect to the guest to let them "talk". He doesn't do that, he won't even let his guests talk. The guests just end up sitting there being lectured.

Normally I wouldn't care if he was ultra-conservative or ultra-liberal. What I don't like about him is that he treats his guests with no respect and won't let them tell their side of the story.

blackfaerie
07-22-2002, 01:51 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew_Pakula:
</font>

*waves to andrewpakula*

------------------
AIM: suzahbee33
http://www.execpc.com/engine/jthm_gal/voodo.gif
www.villainsupply.com

Fattening Ass
07-22-2002, 01:54 AM
<font color=font colors fucking suck>The Factor is awesome.

Amazing Disgrace
07-22-2002, 05:25 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by melancholia:
republican?</font>

So what if he is Republican? Is that a sin or something?

------------------
i don't want to think and i don't want to feel (http://www.geocities.com/lucasmcd)- the posies

pastor
07-22-2002, 06:17 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
you must not watch his show that much....half of the letters and emails are from people who dont like him (yet still watch his show)

also, he is always non partisan...he argues for points and ideas because of how he thinks not because of what party he aligns himself with ...if he even does that; i have never heard him say "i am republican"</font>

there are things i admire about o'reilly and others that i dislike. his claims that he does not adhere to a political ideology fall into the latter category. while he doesn't proclaim to be a conservative or republican, he is an old-fashioned guy. and there's nothing wrong with that. i just wish he wouldn't bill his show as the "no-spin zone," when he's human and thus prone to spinning. there's no way around it. if you're human, if you take a stance on something, you're only expressing one truth -- yours. and while i think it's a good thing that o'reilly doesn't blindly adhere to ideology, his own independent thoughts mostly fall under the "conservative" umbrella. and again, there's nothing wrong with that. but o'reilly prides himself on being a government watchdog. and he's good at it. i applaud him when he exposes governmental impropriety or the hypocrisy of celebrities.

the thing is, he tends to only highlight Democrats' improprieties and liberals hypocrisy. this leaves two possibilities: Republicans/conservatives never make mistakes and are never corrupt; OR Republicans/conservatives make mistakes and are sometimes corrupt but O'Reilly often (not always) simply overlooks them. I find the former possibility highly improbable. O'Reilly may refuse to see political matters in a dichotomous conservative/liberal matrix and claims to base his coverage on pragmatic, non-ideological premises, but the fact is that his targets tend to be on one side. he is implicitly advocating conservatism, whether he realizes it or not. and while i have no problem with that, i do have a problem with his claims to an objectivity that is simply unattainable.

mpp
07-22-2002, 10:13 AM
i listen to at least half of the radio factor each day

i enjoy the show and i voted for gore

Random Female
07-22-2002, 10:36 AM
In a way his show is enjoyable if he has a decent topic. however, i tend to agree with Andrew in that he just won't let his guests fuckin defend themselves and automatically assumes he knows what they're gonna say. and then sometiems they'll totally stick it to him and make him look like a jackass but he always just finds some way to weasel out of it even though he knows he's been beaten.

tootsie
07-22-2002, 11:36 AM
What I don't like about him is that he treats his guests with no respect and won't let them tell their side of the story.</font>

exactly.

Guen
07-22-2002, 01:21 PM
hmm...i like him alright. my dad thinks he does no wrong, and i've watched his show and read his book as a tribute to that enthusiasm. but as for whether the guests get to present their view sufficiently or not--i don't think it's all too black and white. he prides himself on giving each guest the last word, on letting people present their position uninterrupted, and i do think that he sincerely tries to let his guests do that. after all, he does want people to keep coming on the show. HOWEVER--he is human, and he obviously does prepare his questions and criticisms of the person's view before they come on the show, and often i think he gets more caught up in what he would see as "exposing" them than in letting them have time to highlight all their most logical points.

but that's human. anybody would do it. and while a lot of his positions turn my face blue, i think he is, at least, sincere. a lot of his ideology is cookie-cut for tv entertainment, like "the no-spin zone"--other posts have torn that wall down. what i like about him, though, is that he SAYS that. i've seen him remind people that his show is primarily an entertainment forum, even though it's caught up in the political. and he reads letters that are positive and negative, and usually doesn't comment on them. you can disagree with him, or dislike him, but i don't think you can accuse him of any more bias than most. the commentary shows that came before him were a lot more blatently biased than he is. i think he's trying.

sawdust restaurants
07-22-2002, 01:37 PM
What pastor said, pretty much. I respect O'Reilly; his show has a tilt to it that he often says isn't there, but that's pretty much its only major flaw, and not even the tilt--it's news analysis, it's allowed--but the "no-spin zone," et al.

I do remember one time my dad was watching his show, and he read a letter from somebody who was protesting the immorality of, I think, homosexual cohabitation based on what he'd read in the Old Testament. Billy lit into him. It was great.

Mr. Restroom TP Refiller
07-22-2002, 01:39 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Amazing Disgrace:
So what if he is Republican? Is that a sin or something?</font>

It's not a sin, but it does mean that you support a policy that oppresses and suppresses minorities, allows the wealthy to become wealthy at the expense of the middle and lower classes, puts the economy into an economic tailspin once every 10 years or so, cuts back on foreign aid to 3rd world countries so that millions can starve and freeze to death, puts a price tag on every life so that when the elderly's benefits run out the hospitals can refuse them medical treatment, forcing them into a slow death, screws over future generations by putting the country trillions of dollars in debt that goes mostly into the military so that the white trash soldiers can provide for their 3 wives and 10 kids, and then tries to tell women what to do with their bodies while telling teens what kinds of drugs they can or cannot use in the privacy of their home.

Perhaps if you were able to more clearly use your head you would be able to see that being a Republican gives you a very disrespectful reputation not just in this country, but in the eyes of much of the world.

And O'Reilly is a Republican anyway. I watched that new Pulse show for the first time last week and it's just more of the same bitching that you see on his regular show.

Tessellation
07-22-2002, 01:55 PM
I've only really seen him once doing an interview and I think he is a horrible interviewer.

It doesn't matter what his views are on the subject at hand, he has to give at the very least give the respect to the guest to let them "talk". He doesn't do that, he won't even let his guests talk. The guests just end up sitting there being lectured.

</font>

I second that...

Tessellation
07-22-2002, 01:56 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Restroom TP Refiller:
It's not a sin, but it does mean that you support a policy that oppresses and suppresses minorities, allows the wealthy to become wealthy at the expense of the middle and lower classes, puts the economy into an economic tailspin once every 10 years or so, cuts back on foreign aid to 3rd world countries so that millions can starve and freeze to death, puts a price tag on every life so that when the elderly's benefits run out the hospitals can refuse them medical treatment, forcing them into a slow death, screws over future generations by putting the country trillions of dollars in debt that goes mostly into the military so that the white trash soldiers can provide for their 3 wives and 10 kids, and then tries to tell women what to do with their bodies while telling teens what kinds of drugs they can or cannot use in the privacy of their home.

Perhaps if you were able to more clearly use your head you would be able to see that being a Republican gives you a very disrespectful reputation not just in this country, but in the eyes of much of the world.

And O'Reilly is a Republican anyway. I watched that new Pulse show for the first time last week and it's just more of the same bitching that you see on his regular show.</font>

I think I'm in love with you....

melancholia
07-22-2002, 01:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Amazing Disgrace:
So what if he is Republican? Is that a sin or something?

</font>

Um, no... but O'Reilly's audience is for the majority Republican.

melancholia
07-22-2002, 02:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Restroom TP Refiller:

And O'Reilly is a Republican anyway. I watched that new Pulse show for the first time last week and it's just more of the same bitching that you see on his regular show.</font>

That too, thank you.

Mr. Restroom TP Refiller
07-22-2002, 02:34 PM

I think I'm in love with you....</font>

Same here. I always make an extra effort to read your posts each day. Funny AND clever. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

ratinacage
07-22-2002, 02:39 PM

Typical self-righteous liberal ranting. Get off your high horse and get your head out of the sand.

Mr. Restroom TP Refiller
07-22-2002, 02:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ratinacage:
Typical self-righteous liberal ranting. Get off your high horse and get your head out of the sand.</font>

Wow, that post was really necessary. I'll be sure to do everything you say. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif At least you were intelligent enough to not dismiss my post as fabricated or untrue. I may rant, but I only do so with truth and facts.

Tessellation
07-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Funny; None of you that defended O'Reilly said anything about his false "Inside Edition" Peabody awards claim...

DeviousJ
07-22-2002, 03:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Guen:
i've seen him remind people that his show is primarily an entertainment forum, even though it's caught up in the political. </font>

Hmm, sounds like a cop out

ratinacage
07-22-2002, 03:11 PM

Affirmative action and welfare oppress and suppress minorities; Republican policies do not.

High taxes and minimum wage laws allow the wealthy to become wealthy at the expense of the middle class; Republican policies do not.

Government over-regulation puts the economy into a tailspin; Republican policies do not.

Haphazardly giving free foreign aid to oppressive regimes allows those dictators to continue to starve and oppress their people; Republican policies do not.

Expanded Medicare programs dilute the health industry while raising overall cost and lowering overall quality; Republican policies do not.

Unwillingness to cut back on inefficient government programs while cutting taxes causes debt; Republican policies do not.

Self-serving doctors and feminazis take advantage of young women in trouble while turning a large profit; Republican policies do not.

Both Democrats and Republicans support the war on drugs.

You're right; if I cared about my reputation, I'd be a liberal. But I care more about doing the right thing and promoting the truth.

By the way, I don't watch TV and I don't know who Bill O'Reilly is, but since most of you hate him, I'd probably like him.

Guen
07-22-2002, 03:18 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
Hmm, sounds like a cop out</font>

hell, of course. i'm not a fan, or a republican. i don't expect any better. i'm just glad he's not putting himself out there as a serious political figure. he can cop out all he wants; it'll only show people that they can't take him too seriously.

Mayfuck
07-22-2002, 05:48 PM
You idiots bashing O'Reilly/republicans really make me ashamed to be a leftist/liberal/demorcrat/etc. And you're busting O'Reilly's ass for being intolerant? Fuck you.

Debaser
07-22-2002, 06:00 PM
its funny how people still think there's actually a difference between democrats and republicans.

DeviousJ
07-22-2002, 06:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Guen:
hell, of course. i'm not a fan, or a republican. i don't expect any better. i'm just glad he's not putting himself out there as a serious political figure. he can cop out all he wants; it'll only show people that they can't take him too seriously.</font>

Well, that's not exactly what I meant - I was saying it sounds like an easy way to deflect any political criticism that's on target ('hey man, it's just entertainment') whenever he's being beaten in a debate, rather than diminishing his political value in the eyes of the viewers (it's generally the former that tends to happen unfortunately). I mean this is all hypothetical - I've never seen the show, so I'm just talking about what other people are saying here

tweedyburd
07-22-2002, 07:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
And you're busting O'Reilly's ass for being intolerant? Fuck you.</font>

That's been the long running irony of most voices from the left, especially over the past 10 years--preaching tolerance but for the life of them not being able to tolerate other points of view.

Oh, and O'Reilly gets singled out specifically in talk show debates simply because he's the most popular. Here:

The O'Rudeness Factor: Study Ranks Cable Blowhards
Matt Kempner
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

You can look at it two ways:
(A) Half the nightly hosts on cable news aggressively question their guests and are upfront with their opinions.
(B)
(C) Cable news is rife with rude blowhards.
(D)
A new study of cable news ranks the most interrupting and opinion-spewing anchors and hosts on CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC at night.

It found that half the news personalities frequently stated their own opinions before giving guests a chance to answer questions. And about half the hosts interrupted guests with at least a third of their questions.

Tucker Carlson of CNN's "Crossfire" landed at the top --- or would that be the bottom? --- of the interrupting/opinion-spouting pile, according to the study.

The study was done for PBS' "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." Andrew Tyndall, whose business is monitoring what's on TV news, conducted the study by analyzing a week's worth of cable news in January.

Tyndall's stats show the least opinion-sharing anchors were Brit Hume on Fox News and Aaron Brown on CNN.

MSNBC's Brian Williams was close behind.

Ranking near the top of the interruption/opinion scale was Fox News' talkmaster Bill O'Reilly. He cut off his guests with almost half his questions and stated his own opinion in 56 percent of his questions.

Viewers don't seem to mind that O'Reilly often drowns out his guests: He has the most-watched show on cable news.

CNN's Larry King landed at the other end of the scale, which makes him . . . a good listener? A wimp?

He stated his opinion 2 percent of the time and interrupted guests with 13 percent of his questions.

Neither network made King or O'Reilly available for comment. But opinion leader Carlson didn't have a problem speaking up.

"I hope I never pretend that I'm objective, because I'm not," said Carlson, who represents the conservative viewpoint on "Crossfire." But he said he doesn't intend to be impolite.

"I really don't care for rudeness," Carlson said. "If I am, I will apologize."

Mayfuck
07-22-2002, 07:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Debaser:
its funny how people still think there's actually a difference between democrats and republicans.</font>

And thats what makes this thread so silly when you look at the polarization of the posts.

bittertrance
07-22-2002, 11:38 PM

. I may rant, but I only do so with truth and facts. </font>

"
allows the wealthy to become wealthy at the expense of the middle and lower classes, puts the economy into an economic tailspin once every 10 years or so, cuts back on foreign aid to 3rd world countries so that millions can starve and freeze to death, puts a price tag on every life so that when the elderly's benefits run out the hospitals can refuse them medical treatment, forcing them into a slow death, screws over future generations by putting the country trillions of dollars in debt that goes mostly into the military so that the white trash soldiers can provide for their 3 wives and 10 kids, and then tries to tell women what to do with their bodies while telling teens what kinds of drugs they can or cannot use in the privacy of their home. "

you = funny

hey retard....democratic politicians are just as rich if not more rich than republican politicians. they may SAY they are all for the poor people, but what the fuck are they doing about it?

sawdust restaurants
07-22-2002, 11:46 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
hey retard....democratic politicians are just as rich if not more rich than republican politicians. they may SAY they are all for the poor people, but what the fuck are they doing about it?
</font>

The official Happy Dumb Liberal answer: More than the Republicans, way less than they ought to be.

Still, as Julio has said, this O'Reilly/Republican bashing is fucking stupid. There's a difference between disagreement and stupidity and lots of Netphorians can't understand that.

tweedyburd
07-23-2002, 12:51 AM
I don't think Dems do any more, by way of policy, to help poor people more than Republicans. They're against vouchers, for one, which is a direct hindrance to many poor people by way of gaining votes through teachers unions and being stubborn about an educational ideal that isn't possible right now. They are all about across the board taxing so they can throw more money at riciculous programs that do not work. The Democrats aren't the party they were in the 60s, people. They're just as much about power as Republicans are--they just happen to play different social cards--like race, rich vs. poor--to polarize people into voting for them. And seeing that they haven't come up with any worthwhile, earnest policy for years, can you blame them for going to the least common denominator?

Politics is politics, and the only earnest reprentative of the poor working class right now, whether or not he dabbles in socialist ideals, is Nader.

07-23-2002, 12:53 AM
Is this the only Earth I can live in?

------------------
http://downwardsign.homestead.com/files/greenstarssig.jpg

tweedyburd
07-23-2002, 12:57 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by 13:
Is this the only Earth I can live in?

</font>

'fraid so.

MisterSquishyHalo
07-23-2002, 01:28 AM

On "Inside Edition": "We won Peabodys!"[that show has never won a Peabody]

</font>

He's not ultra conservative, Did you see his latest interview, with Ann Coulter, who wrote the book slander? She is a conservative as well, and he ripped into her.

It was great.