View Full Version : Sesame Street to introduce HIV positive muppet


BeautifulLoser
07-12-2002, 07:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/12/sesame.street.reut/index.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Sesame Street will soon introduce its first HIV-positive Muppet character to children of South Africa, where one in nine people have the virus that can lead to AIDS.

The upbeat female Muppet will join "Takalani Sesame" on September 30 for its third season on the South African Broadcasting Corp.

The character -- which has yet to have a name or final color or form -- will travel to many if not all of the eight other nations that air versions of the educational children's show that began in the United States in 1969, said Joel Schneider, vice president and senior adviser to the Sesame Street Workshop.

Schneider said talks are under way to introduce an HIV-positive character to U.S. viewers.



MORE STORIES

Company offers AIDS vaccine hope

AIDS cases in the U.S. end downward trend

Researchers call for new AIDS strategies

Court orders end to HIV drug block

Bush's Thompson booed at AIDS conference

EXTRA INFORMATION

In depth: AIDS at 20

Gallery: AIDS in Asia

Flash: How HIV infects cells

Timeline: 20 years of an epidemic

Explainer: What is a retrovirus?

Map: AIDS: A global perspective

Treatments and vaccines

CNN Presents: The AIDS epidemic in Africa

RESOURCES

AIDS 2002 Conference

TIME.com: Map of AIDS in Africa





Schneider announced the new character this week at the 14th International AIDS Conference in Barcelona, Spain, where he spoke by telephone on Thursday.

"This character will be fully a part of the community," Schneider said. "She will have high self-esteem. Women are often stigmatized about HIV and we are providing a good role model as to how to deal with one's situation and how to interact with the community."

The program is aimed at children from 3 to 7 and the messages delivered by the new character will be "appropriate," said Schneider, meaning that there will be no explicit mention of sex.

"Not every show will deal explicitly with HIV/AIDS," Schneider said. "We want to show that here is an HIV-positive member of our community who you can touch and interact with.

"We will be very careful to fashion our messages so they are appropriate to the age group. What do I do when I cut my finger? What do I do when you cut your finger? That sort of thing."

"Takalani Sesame" will be the second children's show in South Africa to have an HIV-positive character. But it is believed to be the first among shows designed for preschoolers, said Beatrice Chow, spokeswoman for the Sesame Street Workshop in New York.

In some parts of South Africa, 40 percent of women of child-bearing age are infected with HIV, and in 2000, about 40 percent of adult deaths in South Africa were attributed to AIDS, according to the U.S. State Department.



------------------
Originally posted by Irrelevant:
EAT A BAG OF FUCK (http://beautifulloser.livejournal.com), HOMOLOVER.
http://www.livejournal.com/userpic/2070689

melancholia
07-12-2002, 08:02 AM
I know it sounds really obsurd when you first start to read it... but it's actually a pretty good idea. Let the children educate the adults. That's the only real way tolerance happens.

strange_one
07-12-2002, 09:07 AM
<font color=33FFFF> weird

Green Plastic
07-12-2002, 11:05 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by melancholia:
I know it sounds really obsurd when you first start to read it... but it's actually a pretty good idea. Let the children educate the adults. That's the only real way tolerance happens.</font>

bittertrance
07-12-2002, 12:04 PM
wheres the leper muppet?

bonsor
07-12-2002, 12:10 PM
<font color="0084ff">Sesame Street is still the best kids show ever.

Guen
07-12-2002, 02:17 PM
it has good intent, as always. no matter that it's terribly fucking sad.

mpp
07-12-2002, 02:44 PM
can kids be kids for once? holy jesus

3 year olds asking mom questions about HIV? no way man

The Mayor of Town
07-12-2002, 02:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:
can kids be kids for once? holy jesus

3 year olds asking mom questions about HIV? no way man</font>

This is Africa we are talking about. These kids, well girls anyway, will be lucky is they make it past 12 without being infected.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 02:48 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:
can kids be kids for once? holy jesus

3 year olds asking mom questions about HIV? no way man</font>

They show kids of all races playing together....if you ask me, its kinda the same thing.


And who exactly gets to infect the muppet???

World's Greatest Escapist
07-12-2002, 02:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
They show kids of all races playing together....if you ask me, its kinda the same thing.


</font>

I wouldn't agree with that. Seeing kids of different races playing together preaches acceptance. A muppet with HIV won't really preach acceptance because these kids will be too young to understand the stigma that comes with being infected with HIV. It's education. I don't know if an HIV muppet in America is quite necessary, but Africa is just so fucked maybe they do need it.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 02:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by World's Greatest Escapist:
I wouldn't agree with that. Seeing kids of different races playing together preaches acceptance. A muppet with HIV won't really preach acceptance because these kids will be too young to understand the stigma that comes with being infected with HIV. It's education. I don't know if an HIV muppet in America is quite necessary, but Africa is just so fucked maybe they do need it.

</font>


Fine then, how about handicapped kids?? Kids with diseases that cause them to be in wheelchairs, etc ?

World's Greatest Escapist
07-12-2002, 02:57 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:

Fine then, how about handicapped kids?? Kids with diseases that cause them to be in wheelchairs, etc ?

</font>


maybe when, like, 40% of Africa is handicapped...

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 03:03 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by World's Greatest Escapist:

maybe when, like, 40% of Africa is handicapped... </font>

I don't see a real difference between education and tolerance. as it says in the post above, all they're teaching is that its ok to interact w/ HIV positive people....


3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?

3 yr olds are too young to understand what cystic fibrosis is....should there not be handicapped people on??

It's all the same thing.

World's Greatest Escapist
07-12-2002, 03:06 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
I don't see a real difference between education and tolerance. as it says in the post above, all they're teaching is that its ok to interact w/ HIV positive people....


3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?

3 yr olds are too young to understand what cystic fibrosis is....should there not be handicapped people on??

It's all the same thing.

</font>

OK... these kids need to be educated about HIV cuz it is one hundred times more part of their lives than it is a part of ours.

bittertrance
07-12-2002, 03:10 PM
how the hell does race = aids?

in kindergarten do they announce in fornt of the class all the kids who have HIV?

World's Greatest Escapist
07-12-2002, 03:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
how the hell does race = aids?

in kindergarten do they announce in fornt of the class all the kids who have HIV?</font>

where does it say race = AIDS?

bittertrance
07-12-2002, 03:36 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by World's Greatest Escapist:
where does it say race = AIDS?</font>

read SVSAm's posts

"3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?"


[This message has been edited by bittertrance (edited 07-12-2002).]

mpp
07-12-2002, 03:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
They show kids of all races playing together....if you ask me, its kinda the same thing.


And who exactly gets to infect the muppet???

</font>

no it's really not

race has nothing to do with fucking or drugs

mpp
07-12-2002, 04:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by The Mayor of Town:
This is Africa we are talking about. These kids, well girls anyway, will be lucky is they make it past 12 without being infected. </font>

the muppet will be in the US soon; read the article

it's a better idea for south africa; not the best idea, but it's such an AIDS firestorm over there

mpp
07-12-2002, 04:12 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:


3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?

</font>


bad argument. muppets don't have races. is kermit white?

AndySlash
07-12-2002, 04:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?

3 yr olds are too young to understand what cystic fibrosis is....should there not be handicapped people on??
</font>

No, they aren't necessarily able to comprehend those topics and their complexity, but I sure do believe that they can comprehend the fact that Elmo can hang out with, laugh with, cry with, and hug untitled HIV-infected-muppet, and so that makes it OK for them to hang out with, laugh with, cry with, and hug untitled HIV-infected person.

That is until uneducated Mommy and Daddy come along and tell them to stay away from that untitled HIV-infected person because they're a fag and that they might make them sick.

[This message has been edited by AndySlash (edited 07-12-2002).]

bonsor
07-12-2002, 05:07 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:

bad argument. muppets don't have races. is kermit white?</font>All the muppets are all kinds of different colors and ethnicities, and they interact regardless of what color their skin (read: fabric) is.

I'll say it again. Sesame Street is the best kids' show ever.

Mayfuck
07-12-2002, 05:34 PM
This is just like the Nick News feature on gay parents thread. The show didn't discuss homosexuality and the homosexual lifestyle, rather they promoted tolerance for "different" families. Likewise, I think Sesame Street will teach kids to not be afraid of other children/people who have HIV. I doubt they will ever go into discussion about how HIV is contracted or any such thing.

Undone
07-12-2002, 05:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by AndySlash:
No, they aren't necessarily able to comprehend those topics and their complexity, but I sure do believe that they can comprehend the fact that Elmo can hang out with, laugh with, cry with, and hug untitled HIV-infected-muppet, and so that makes it OK for them to hang out with, laugh with, cry with, and hug untitled HIV-infected person.

That is until uneducated Mommy and Daddy come along and tell them to stay away from that untitled HIV-infected person because they're a fag and that they might make them sick.

[This message has been edited by AndySlash (edited 07-12-2002).]</font>

<font color="CC33CC">Best post in this thread, period.

Eulogy
07-12-2002, 05:39 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Likewise, I think Sesame Street will teach kids to not be afraid of other children/people who have HIV. I doubt they will ever go into discussion about how HIV is contracted or any such thing.</font>

This is a bad thing?

Kids shouldn't learn how HIV is contracted from Sesame Street...but I think it's ok for them to learn tolerance form the show.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 05:56 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:
no it's really not

race has nothing to do with fucking or drugs
</font>


And the 5 yr old children infected with HIV have gotten it from fucking and drugs.

You're the reason they need education!

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 05:57 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:

bad argument. muppets don't have races. is kermit white?</font>

Muppets are from a different show.

On sesame street they have real kids and adults.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 06:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
read SVSAm's posts

"3 yr olds are also too young to understand the stigmas about why certain groups are discriminated against.... does that mean that only one race should be on the show?"


[This message has been edited by bittertrance (edited 07-12-2002).]</font>

I never said its the same thing.

All i was implying was that race, handicapp, and HIV (or other diseases) are things that could cause kids to see other kids as different or weird. And hence the program, showing people interacting with different types of people teaches kids not to be afraid of others who are different.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 06:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
This is just like the Nick News feature on gay parents thread. The show didn't discuss homosexuality and the homosexual lifestyle, rather they promoted tolerance for "different" families. Likewise, I think Sesame Street will teach kids to not be afraid of other children/people who have HIV. I doubt they will ever go into discussion about how HIV is contracted or any such thing.</font>

"so then snuffalumpagus stuck his fat trunk in big birds bottom"

Mayfuck
07-12-2002, 06:03 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Eulogy:
This is a bad thing?

Kids shouldn't learn how HIV is contracted from Sesame Street...but I think it's ok for them to learn tolerance form the show.</font>

Huh? That's what I just said.

MayonaiseOfTheGraySkies
07-12-2002, 06:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
Muppets are from a different show.

On sesame street they have real kids and adults.

</font>


no, all the jim henson puppet charecters are muppets. the fraggle rock muppets, seasame street muppets, and then the muppet show muppets.

Guen
07-12-2002, 06:21 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
This is just like the Nick News feature on gay parents thread. The show didn't discuss homosexuality and the homosexual lifestyle, rather they promoted tolerance for "different" families. Likewise, I think Sesame Street will teach kids to not be afraid of other children/people who have HIV. I doubt they will ever go into discussion about how HIV is contracted or any such thing.</font>

Random Female
07-12-2002, 06:27 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:


And who exactly gets to infect the muppet???

</font>You can be born with aids or hiv if your mother has it.

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 06:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Random Female:
You can be born with aids or hiv if your mother has it.

</font>


That was supposed to be a joke http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

mpp
07-12-2002, 06:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Likewise, I think Sesame Street will teach kids to not be afraid of other children/people who have HIV</font>


bad argument. kids needn't be "taught" to "not be afraid of other" kids; kids naturally love; it's the parents who need to be re-educated

bittertrance
07-12-2002, 07:14 PM
but know that 99% of kids are going to ask why? and how?

"johnny, that muppet's dad used a dirty heroin needle"

"susie, that girls mom had unprotected sex"

Eulogy
07-12-2002, 07:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Huh? That's what I just said.</font>

I misunderstood the icon.

mpp
07-12-2002, 08:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:
Muppets are from a different show.

On sesame street they have real kids and adults.

</font>


two tips:

1. actually read the story posted (if it's faulty, then it's faulty)---kermit WAS a bad example b/c he ain't on there sorry

2. actually watch an episode of sesame street; they have all kinds of "muppets"


like i said initially, tolerance is natural for children; let kids have a childhood apart from questions about oral sex and intravenous drug use!!

what a revolutionary idea!

mpp
07-12-2002, 08:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:

And the 5 yr old children infected with HIV have gotten it from fucking and drugs.

You're the reason they need education! </font>


kids without aids don't naturally have prejudice against kids who are HIV positive; like i said, re-educate the parents; let the kids have a childhood

So very sad about me
07-12-2002, 09:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:

two tips:

1. actually read the story posted (if it's faulty, then it's faulty)---kermit WAS a bad example b/c he ain't on there sorry

2. actually watch an episode of sesame street; they have all kinds of "muppets"


like i said initially, tolerance is natural for children; let kids have a childhood apart from questions about oral sex and intravenous drug use!!

what a revolutionary idea!</font>


However, they DO have real people too....

And like a child would actually ask "how do people get aids" and have a parent answer "by assfucking and taking heroin!"

I would imagine the proper response would be something like "their disease makes them always sick, and unable to get well"

DeviousJ
07-12-2002, 09:22 PM
How about kids who are actually born with HIV? Shouldn't be felt to feel that they're ok, that they can hang around with other people and that their disease shouldn't make them feel different and isolated?

Graveflower
07-12-2002, 10:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:

bad argument. kids needn't be "taught" to "not be afraid of other" kids; kids naturally love; it's the parents who need to be re-educated</font>

Uh, the shit kids learn as kids are what they take to adult hood. You raise your kid to believe that faggots are bad, and only faggots get AIDs, they will hold that belief.

mpp
07-12-2002, 11:36 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
Uh, the shit kids learn as kids are what they take to adult hood. You raise your kid to believe that faggots are bad, and only faggots get AIDs, they will hold that belief.

</font>

so you're proving my point? please articulate.

your argument: the shit kids learn from their parents is what they take into adult hood

my argument: the shit kids learn from their parents is what they take into adult hood


therefore, re-educate parents, not kids; 3 to 7 year olds (the target audience for sesame street) shouldn't have to be confronted with issues like AIDS until they're older; let them be kids


so, mpp, you're offering alot of criticism but no alternative solutions, eh? you got it. that's because there aren't any that work. people form opinions as they're brought up and those opinions tend to hold, more or less, well thru adulthood; it's a vicious cycle and it's something sesame street can't fucking touch

nevertheless, putting an HIV positive character on sesame street, while pointless in the long run (as the previous paragraph explained), is necessarily a bad idea b/c it leads to kids questioning things like homosexuality, communicable diseases, intravenous drug use, prostitution, and sex way before they need to

bonsor
07-12-2002, 11:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:

That was supposed to be a joke http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif</font>

yeah, well, you're not funny.

sweet sweet
07-13-2002, 03:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:

However, they DO have real people too....

And like a child would actually ask "how do people get aids" and have a parent answer "by assfucking and taking heroin!"

I would imagine the proper response would be something like "their disease makes them always sick, and unable to get well"

</font>


"How do people get HIV?"
"Their disease makes them always sick..."

That answers the question in what way?

If they have this muppet on the show, dont you think they would explain about its disease? Therefore, the children probably won't have to ask about it.

Edit: Also, this is from the article -


"We will be very careful to fashion our messages so they are appropriate to the age group. What do I do when I cut my finger? What do I do when you cut your finger? That sort of thing."




[This message has been edited by sweet sweet (edited 07-13-2002).]

frail_and_bedazzled
07-13-2002, 08:56 AM
you can't really re-educate parents..much..there's this window of opportunity when you can reach people and when you can't....the older you get, the more stuck in your ways you become. starting early is the best decision, i think

bittertrance
07-13-2002, 10:13 AM
another thought....

they cant let this muppet live forever can they? how are they going to kill it? or does it simply leave with no explaination?

mpp
07-13-2002, 11:05 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
you can't really re-educate parents..much..there's this window of opportunity when you can reach people and when you can't....the older you get, the more stuck in your ways you become. starting early is the best decision, i think</font>


precisely correct.

basic problem: children are not only raised by tv shows but also their parents; they can't ask tv shows questions so they ask their parents (or other people); parents are already close-minded to the AIDS crisis in south africa, therefore parents give kids bad answers; hate starts all over again

whew.

DeviousJ
07-13-2002, 05:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
another thought....

they cant let this muppet live forever can they? how are they going to kill it? or does it simply leave with no explaination?</font>

Well, HIV isn't AIDS...