View Full Version : Do you have any weird Obessive/Complusive Disorder habits?

Dead Frequency
07-04-2002, 10:43 PM
.........?

strange_one
07-04-2002, 10:45 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I used to have trouble with it when I was about 11 or 12, I used to have to touch different things in my room three times before I went to bed, it used to take me about 15mins every night, I'm serious. I gradually grew out of it though, and nowadays the only thing I do is touch three different cupboards in my room with my right foot before I hop into bed.
the anti-depressants I'm taking pretty much stop any repetitive desires I have anyway

Nadia
07-04-2002, 10:51 PM
i check to make sure the door is locked like 2-5 times a night.....heh sometimes ill wake up and start thinking that i didnt lock the door so ill have to get up and check.

i take showers a lot too. and wash my hands a lot.

SPFreak37
07-04-2002, 10:53 PM
have an obsessive compulsive fucking problem. i need to fuck a lot.

------------------
dying of boredom...i'll try it all

strange_one
07-04-2002, 10:56 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I have an aunt whose cleaning disorder is so bad she vacuums cereal boxes three times a day. now that's fucked up

Mirror_Untrue
07-04-2002, 11:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nadia:
i check to make sure the door is locked like 2-5 times a night.....heh sometimes ill wake up and start thinking that i didnt lock the door so ill have to get up and check.
</font>
me too

------------------
Love, peace and harmony?
Love, peace and harmony?
Oh, very nice
very nice
very nice
very nice
... but maybe in the next world
http://www.uniquehardware.co.uk/server-smilies/otn/angry/nono.gif

Orchestra
07-04-2002, 11:37 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by strange_one:
<font color=33FFFF> I used to have trouble with it when I was about 11 or 12, I used to have to touch different things in my room three times before I went to bed, it used to take me about 15mins every night, I'm serious. I gradually grew out of it though, and nowadays the only thing I do is touch three different cupboards in my room with my right foot before I hop into bed.
the anti-depressants I'm taking pretty much stop any repetitive desires I have anyway</font>
I seriously do this... everyday
I need to see a doctor

BeautifulLoser
07-04-2002, 11:41 PM
I check to make sure my alarm clock is on everytime I wake up in the middle of the night, which is about 7-10 times a night.

Dead Frequency
07-04-2002, 11:52 PM
I can't be in a room without the door being shut, and locked. If I am in any one room long enough, I have to occasionally check the door to see if it is opened/unlocked.

Open spaces freak me out. But on the other hand, so do enclosed spaces.

I always have hand sanitizer with me, and I constantly use it. I can't drink after anyone else, I begin to feel extremely uncomfortable when people I don't know are too close to me.

One thing that really freaks me out, are those places in pet shops where all the aquariums are at. *shudder*

[This message has been edited by Dead Frequency (edited 07-04-2002).]

sleeper
07-05-2002, 12:29 AM
when i take off my socks before i go to bed i have to throw the right one first, then the left one to the left of it, and parrallel to it.

i talk to myself very very much

Random Female
07-05-2002, 12:30 AM
i can't stop eating butter. i eat like two sticks a day... just a big lump of butter on whatever i'm eating. even fruit. butter on fruit.. oh man.

but seriously?
Umm no but i hate soggy cereal, so i put milk in first and add a little bit of cereal at a time til i'm full.

relaxor!
07-05-2002, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure if this qualifies, but I basically have to have some white noise in the back_ground when I sleep. Be it a heater, or a fan, or the washer, it doesn't matter. But I really, really, have trouble sleeping in absolute silence.
<font color="black">

[This message has been edited by relaxor! (edited 07-04-2002).]

MyInnerSelf
07-05-2002, 12:35 AM
If I can't find something, even if it is not important, i will look for it for hours and drive myself insane. i used to be obssesive about knowing what time it was, but I got over that after my watch broke.

BlueStar
07-05-2002, 12:41 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by BeautifulLoser:
I check to make sure my alarm clock is on everytime I wake up in the middle of the night, which is about 7-10 times a night.</font>

<font color=#ADD8E6>I do that too.

And I have to have the tv on when I sleep...and it has to be on MSNBC, CNN, or ABC World News Tonight.

------------------
~*~Samantha~*~

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

-Tragedy-
07-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Ever since my father passed away, I always check to make sure the doors are locked.. also I have to make sure that the shower curtain is closed.. whether I'm in it or not.. *shrugs*

------------------
&lt;3

pale_princess
07-05-2002, 12:55 AM
pulling out strands of hair. very selectively. like if it has a split end, i'll bite it off or pull out the hair. or if it's a really coarse hair, i'll pull it out right away. but never more than one strand at a time. it was pretty bad when i was 14, it's not so bad now but i can still do it. :-/

Raskolnikov
07-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Coming to this web-page is by far the biggest compulsive problem I've got.

I swear, as soon as I crank up internet explorer, I idly sit for a second and turn on AIM or whatever, then this page is always surfed first. It's like I can't take care of other business unless I go here. It's odd, but I don't dislike it. =P

relaxor!
07-05-2002, 02:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Raskolnikov:

I swear, as soon as I crank up internet explorer, I idly sit for a second and turn on AIM or whatever, then this page is always surfed first. It's like I can't take care of other business unless I go here. It's odd, but I don't dislike it. =P</font>
It didn't materialize into my mind until just now...but I'm the exact same way!

tear stained glass
07-05-2002, 02:10 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nadia:
i take showers a lot too. and wash my hands a lot.</font>ditto

MonteLDS
07-05-2002, 02:13 AM
try to connect with people online the second i get in front of a computer. Even if i am around people http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

Oblivious
07-05-2002, 02:29 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
pulling out strands of hair. very selectively. like if it has a split end, i'll bite it off or pull out the hair. or if it's a really coarse hair, i'll pull it out right away. but never more than one strand at a time. it was pretty bad when i was 14, it's not so bad now but i can still do it. :-/</font>

i used to do that in grade school. it got so bad that after finding a pile of hair next to my desk my teacher called my mother and i had to go see a shrink for the first time. and eh. i shower 4-5 times a day. and i wash my hands about every 30 minutes. and i have a hard time eating food that was not prepared by me. when i was a kid i thought that my parents were poisoning me. i hate crowds and am prone to uncontrollable violent or obscene outbursts when forced into those types of situations.

funnygeezus
07-05-2002, 03:03 AM
<font color=slate>i'm glad i'm not the only one.

i have a 15+ point checklist that i go over each night before bed. mostly stupid shit. some of them are: making sure "my computer" is the highlighted icon on my desktop, making sure there are the right ammount of processes running on my computer (3 spaces left on the bottom of the ctrl-alt-del menu), making sure my monitor is still set to go off after 10 minutes (as if it would somehow change itself), making sure each tv downstairs is set to channel 11 with the "last" channel set to 33 (actually, tonight i'm taping a movie and it going to drive me nuts going to bed with it set to another channel), looking in the bathroom, looking in my closet, looking in my wardrobe and looking under my desk. i go back and forth from my computer room to my bedroom like 6 times each night before bed to confirm all this, even though i know i did everything already. i pull my covers back before i turn off my light and if the tv in my room is off, i turn it on before i get in bed, then turn it off from bed from my remote. neither of these is a darkness issue btw, as i go to sleep between the hours of 5 and 7 am, when my room is almost completely lit with sunlight. i then lay the remote between my phone and a stack of text books on my desk.

i also check locked doors (house and car) 3 or 4 times before i go anywhere and after i come back. whenever i leave my house i end up going back to the door and checking it at least once. and i ALWAYS make sure my car doors are locked, even if i just run into a store for a minute i have to make sure each car door (and the trunk) is locked. i check visually before i get out of the car, then walk around the car and check each manually.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritu sancti.
http://www.avalon.nf.ca/~rosemd/we3.jpg <font color=black size=1>

[This message has been edited by funnygeezus (edited 07-05-2002).]

funnygeezus
07-05-2002, 03:08 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by -Tragedy-:
also I have to make sure that the shower curtain is closed.. whether I'm in it or not.. *shrugs*

</font>

<font color=slate>i forgot about that. i'm the complete opposite, i will not use a washroom with a closed shower curtain. i think i have some irrational fear of not checking any place large enough to hold a person.

Dead Frequency
07-05-2002, 04:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by funnygeezus:
<font color=slate>i think i have some irrational fear of not checking any place large enough to hold a person.</font></font>
I have my dresser in my closet, and my mattress rests on my floor because of this.

DeviousJ
07-05-2002, 07:37 AM
Uhh... I think I only fall asleep on my right side, but I have to lie on my left side for a bit before I can fall asleep. At least, that just seems to be how it works out. That's pretty much it. Unless you count imagining how a beam of light would reflect around a room, if every surface were mirrored - I seem to do that a lot.

Silverstream
07-05-2002, 09:49 AM
i dont really do anything like that, although i have to look at my phone every time i walk in or out of my room.
oh and i have to have my cupboard doors shut before i can sleep.

DeviousJ
07-05-2002, 09:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Silverstream:
i dont really do anything like that, although i have to look at my phone every time i walk in or out of my room.</font>

Make sure the Hotline light isn't flashing, huh?

-Tragedy-
07-05-2002, 10:09 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
Uhh... I think I only fall asleep on my right side, but I have to lie on my left side for a bit before I can fall asleep. At least, that just seems to be how it works out. That's pretty much it. Unless you count imagining how a beam of light would reflect around a room, if every surface were mirrored - I seem to do that a lot.</font>

I have to lay on my stomach.. then my right side.. and then I finally fall asleep on my left.. I can't fall asleep if I don't.

Dead Frequency
07-05-2002, 10:42 AM
I have to sleep on my back, and only on my back. If I am in any other position I tend to think that there is someone directly where I can't see.

Lie
07-05-2002, 11:10 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
Unless you count imagining how a beam of light would reflect around a room, if every surface were mirrored - I seem to do that a lot.</font>

I don't do that but when I'm in a fast-moving car, I imagine holding a huge chainsaw and hacking down everything at arm's-level (trees, telephone poles, sings, houses) as I pass it.

melancholia
07-05-2002, 11:42 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Raskolnikov:

I swear, as soon as I crank up internet explorer, I idly sit for a second and turn on AIM or whatever, then this page is always surfed first. It's like I can't take care of other business unless I go here. It's odd, but I don't dislike it. =P</font>

me too.

Orchestra
07-05-2002, 11:59 AM
When I pick a glass to drink from I have to touch them all to see which gives the better feeling, When I go to bed I have to do everything in order and touch the wall in certain places,

and when I put away stock I often put it in the wrong place becasue it doesn't feel right in the right place

ect ect

------------------
Silly child, boys don't cry

melancholia
07-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I also brush my teeth 6 or so times a day. I hate the feeling of "dirty" teeth.

sleeper
07-05-2002, 12:11 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Orchestra:
When I pick a glass to drink from I have to touch them all to see which gives the better feeling, When I go to bed I have to do everything in order and touch the wall in certain places,

and when I put away stock I often put it in the wrong place becasue it doesn't feel right in the right place

ect ect

</font>

same. there a million cups all the same. but ill pick one up and put it back because it feels "wrong". till i find one. i find alot of you have systematic kind of things. its all about feel for me. id do something without a care one day, then id spend 15 mins on the next day to get it to feel "right".

Affectation
07-05-2002, 12:21 PM
<font color=00ff33>God, we seem to have more than our fair share of fuckups here.

This behavior is completely ridiculous.

sleeper
07-05-2002, 12:32 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
<font color=00ff33>God, we seem to have more than our fair share of fuckups here.

This behavior is completely ridiculous.</font></font>

maybe your just fishing for somekind of reaction here, but thats a pretty ignorant comment. its all about the "stupid shit", sure, but it has deep pyschological meanings. noones a perfect human archeotype with no subconscious needs or deficiencies, just like you arent. if mine or theirs happen to take the form of washing hands, or aligning socks thats as completely valid as you getting some kind of freaky malaligned ego-high from your "awsome", dehumanizing job you brag so much about. i mean, there is a time where it pases the point of being something natural and required, to something just illogical that should be permanetly fixed, rather than temporarily appeased, but i dont think your in the/a position to make that call.

Affectation
07-05-2002, 12:48 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
maybe your just fishing for somekind of reaction here, but thats a pretty ignorant comment. its all about the "stupid shit", sure, but it has deep pyschological meanings. noones a perfect human archeotype with no subconscious needs or deficiencies, just like you arent. if mine or theirs happen to take the form of washing hands, or aligning socks thats as completely valid as you getting some kind of freaky malaligned ego-high from your "awsome", dehumanizing job you brag so much about. i mean, there is a time where it pases the point of being something natural and required, to something just illogical that should be permanetly fixed, rather than temporarily appeased, but i dont think your in the/a position to make that call.</font><font color=00ff33>There is a huge difference between extremely compulsive behavior, and, as you call it, "ego-high."

When it comes down to it, it is a matter of willpower. The next time that you are sitting in your bed, and feel the "need" to get up to check the locks a tenth time, don't. Seriously, try a little bit harder.

sleeper
07-05-2002, 12:54 PM
hey, i agree with that. like i said before, there is a point where it passes being healthy and fair, to something that simply takes away from your quality of life, instead of adding to it. the point was, that everybody has something like this. to different degrees and in different ways, sure, but we're all in the same boat here. i agree, whoever said they have 5 showers a day, that just isnt a healthy tendency and should be changed. it all depends on how far someone takes it

[This message has been edited by sleeper (edited 07-05-2002).]

Affectation
07-05-2002, 12:58 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
hey, i agree with that. like i said before, there is a point where it passes being healthy and fair, to something that simply takes away from your quality of life, instead of adding to it. the point was, that everybody has something like this. to different degrees and in different ways, sure, but we're all in the same boat here. i agree, whoever said they have 5 showers a day, that just isnt a healthy tendency and should be changed. it all depends on how far someone takes it

</font><font color=00ff33>ALL compulsive behavior is not healthy. Honestly, what good can come from "needing" to touch certain spots on your wall/floor/mom, or needing to have everything at right angles in your room? It's completely ridiculous.

bonsor
07-05-2002, 01:04 PM
The only thing that could be considered an obsession is this. My alarm clock has to be set to a time where a) the time must end with a 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 and b) the sum of the numbers is divisable by 9. I can't set my clock for 6.15. That drives me nuts. It has to be set to 6.12, an even number divisable by 9.

I also get an awesome satisfaction out of the time being 7.38.

I used to have other compulsions where I had to turn everything on and off in 3's. If the light was on and I wanted it off, i would turn it off, on and off again, but I grew out of that.

Elvis The Naked Years
07-05-2002, 01:17 PM
i have a compulsion to play with my bathing suit area.

DeviousJ
07-05-2002, 02:35 PM
Oh, and I usually have all my clocks set about 10 minutes fast. But that's just me trying to trick myself into thinking it's later than it really is when I wake up, so I'll get out of bed and stop being late. It never works though

rubber
07-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Ya, for the first time ever I have to absolutely agreee with Affection. C'mon people, some of the stuff here is pretty fucked up. It is very interesting though and I think that if you are aware you are doing it you should be able to change your behavior if you really want to. I mean, if you absolutely know the door is locked force yourself not to check it again. If you do this a few times it will become easier over time.

c

Dead Frequency
07-05-2002, 07:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
<font color=00ff33>ALL compulsive behavior is not healthy. Honestly, what good can come from "needing" to touch certain spots on your wall/floor/mom, or needing to have everything at right angles in your room? It's completely ridiculous.

</font></font>

You probably should have thrown the word obsessive somewhere in that response.

Also, I think that it is easy to say that it is ridiculous if you don't suffer from some sort of obsessive/compulsive behavior. It is a disorder, and I do agree that it isn't healthy. I'm almost definite that everyone here knows that it is completely irrational to have any sort of behavior along these lines, but it is there because some sort of psychological damage has taken place. Of course it is wrong, of course everyone knows that, but they are habits that are exceedingly difficult to break.

[This message has been edited by Dead Frequency (edited 07-05-2002).]

Dead Frequency
07-05-2002, 07:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:
I don't do that but when I'm in a fast-moving car, I imagine holding a huge chainsaw and hacking down everything at arm's-level (trees, telephone poles, sings, houses) as I pass it.</font>

I do that too. I'll also hum a song in my head and I'll only hum the notes of the song when the car that I am in is passing in front of another street/driveway.

[This message has been edited by Dead Frequency (edited 07-05-2002).]

DeviousJ
07-05-2002, 07:25 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by rubber:
Ya, for the first time ever I have to absolutely agreee with Affection. C'mon people, some of the stuff here is pretty fucked up. It is very interesting though and I think that if you are aware you are doing it you should be able to change your behavior if you really want to. I mean, if you absolutely know the door is locked force yourself not to check it again. If you do this a few times it will become easier over time.

c</font>

I'm guessing its like a mental itch - you try to ignore it but it doesn't go away, and in the end you give into it just so you can get on with your life. Don't assume these things are so easy to deal with just because you can't imagine feeling the need to do them in the first place.

ZeroBullet
07-05-2002, 07:37 PM
<font color="cadetblue">The only wierd thing I do...on the bottom of 2 flights of stairs in my house, I always jump over the third step from the bottom. I never step on it. With our old light at the bottom, the shadow from the railing ended on that step, so I skipped it. Still do. Dunno why.

------------------
http://members.accesscable.net/~aylard/ZeroBulletsig.jpg

Affectation
07-06-2002, 11:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Dead Frequency:

You probably should have thrown the word obsessive somewhere in that response.

Also, I think that it is easy to say that it is ridiculous if you don't suffer from some sort of obsessive/compulsive behavior. It is a disorder, and I do agree that it isn't healthy. I'm almost definite that everyone here knows that it is completely irrational to have any sort of behavior along these lines, but it is there because some sort of psychological damage has taken place. Of course it is wrong, of course everyone knows that, but they are habits that are exceedingly difficult to break.

</font><font color=00ff33>I disagree. When I was younger, I used to "need" to have everything in my room positioned at a right angle, as well as the "need" to constantly be 100% clean at all times. It took less than a year to break both of these habits. I know this firsthand.