View Full Version : if you could design your own video game, what would it be like?


wangcomputers
06-18-2002, 08:38 AM
It probably isn't that easy to develop your own games. It apparently takes time and a basic knowledge of C+ programming.

i started a thread about the playstation yaroze (http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f53a0ff16314ac2298079ddbffb1d2eb&threadid=20585) recently. A development kit for the home user.
it'd be great if game programming was easily accessibile.

So, do you have any cool game ideas?
Are there reasons why you are unhappy with the current genres?
How would you evolve them?

Try to be descriptive, so that I can steal the ideas and then sell them.

<font size=1>
(I'll post mine in the unlikely eventuality that this thread doesn't bomb.)</font>

sleeper
06-18-2002, 10:06 AM
you can makes games easy in flash. i used to know a bit of C, and it is a powerful tool, but unless you want to get serious into it, dont bother. you can make whatever you want in flash. its all really simple flash code shit too, so read a few tutorials and you'll be set. as for making a game, just think about something completely new. if you were to make an standard RPG or something, you would have to make it be fucking incredible just to be good, because its been done so much. create your own "genre" or brand new idea and then even if the games programmed like shit it'll still be fun and interesting because its new. ive been thinkin that sooner or later i would make a game in flash. I personally would avoid anything thats been done before and go for whatever you feel strongly about. i would love to make some really strange interactive world. not even a "game" but something just really surreal and raw. it would have the best soundtrack to any game ever too.

Ghetto_Squirrel
06-18-2002, 11:04 AM
Something where some primary colored animal character runs around and collects coins or fruit or other items while being pursued and/or attacked by spiky monsters. I don't think anything like that has ever been done before.

------------------
http://www.toolcity.net/~burt/images/pimp3a.jpg
My anti-drug is non-consensual sex with minors.
AIM: Mista Saki

DeviousJ
06-18-2002, 11:20 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
you can makes games easy in flash. i used to know a bit of C, and it is a powerful tool, but unless you want to get serious into it, dont bother. you can make whatever you want in flash. its all really simple flash code shit too, so read a few tutorials and you'll be set. </font>

Hahaha

sleeper
06-18-2002, 12:48 PM
whats so funny?

Guen
06-18-2002, 12:56 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel:
Something where some primary colored animal character runs around and collects coins or fruit or other items while being pursued and/or attacked by spiky monsters. I don't think anything like that has ever been done before.

</font>

i love you.

Ghetto_Squirrel
06-18-2002, 01:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Guen:
i love you.</font>

Prove it.

------------------
http://www.toolcity.net/~burt/images/pimp3a.jpg
My anti-drug is non-consensual sex with minors.
AIM: Mista Saki

Nate the Grate
06-18-2002, 01:07 PM
I used to make little games in Basic when I was younger. that was kind of fun.

Irrelevant
06-18-2002, 05:09 PM
i'd probably make some gay ass ad&d style RPG mixed with FF6 style. and i'd set it on an ice planet! or in a desolate, post-apocalyptic future!

useful idiot
06-18-2002, 07:16 PM
one of my friends is making a game using rpgmaker2000. it fucking ownz.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/saferkefka/newsig.txt

hours of fun for the whole fucking family.

Graveflower
06-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Leisure Suit Larry sequel.

THRILLHO
06-18-2002, 08:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by useful idiot:
one of my friends is making a game using rpgmaker2000. it fucking ownz.

</font>

RPGMAKER2000??

i used to make video games really often as a kid. like, design every single part of them. the problem was, i could never find computer software that was good for making games, unless you count hacking or stuff like wolfenstein map editor. so i have piles of papers with maps and cartoons and video game designs, even music. now i'm kind of out of video games but i'd still totally do a project like that. i've always wanted to make a FF/zelda-style RPG about a silly adventure set in a totally ordinary suburb or town, kinda like earthbound, only really hard.

anyways, i have searched very high and low for any kind of video game creation software, and i mean thoroughly. i even posted about it on netphoria once. and i've never heard of something called rpgmaker2000. damn it all to hell!

Irrelevant
06-18-2002, 08:01 PM
i tried rpgmaker2000 once and couldn't figure it out.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

wangcomputers
06-19-2002, 07:17 AM
what? no game suggestions? how surprising..

ok I'll post mine, and be subject to critique.

first person shooting games
there have been many interesting attempts to add depth to these games.
The most poignant examples that come to mind are Deus Ex for adding rpg progression elements, and Halo for adding expansive freedom, and maybe max payne for it's interesting albeit not very well implemented, slow motion.

I think what would be a great addition in these games would be a stamina bar. Your regular movement around the arena wouldn't deplete this bar. But you have a 'dash' button that you tap where, in certain circumstances you could rush an opponent. Or utilise it in a way to allow you to leap or roll out of the way of fire.
i think this would add depth whereby hiding and conserving your energy before launching an attack could be cool, just like in real life, man.
Plus when i see these games run, the characters move around the arena a little too unrealistically.

rpg
people normally criticise on the linearity of the games.
I think what would be great is an idea similar to Resident Evil 2, whereby the paths of two different games (and characters) can interlink and effect one another.
Depending on what choices you make
Programming a vast set of possibilities. Or perhaps an engine which could auto-generate sequences, to some extent, could be beneficial.
deciding not to go to a certain town for example may prevent a party member from being killed. Therefore changing the storyline - and adding more replay value.

Total freedom of character progression would be great too. FFX does attempt to do this using the grid, but it doesn't have a substantial enough effect.
In these games, it shouldn't be possible to get "everything". It's important for the choices that you make in these games to have some meaning to your game, whether they be good or bad decisions.
I think rpg games need to add elements like this to prevent otherwise inevitable monotony.

football/soccer
what i don't like about these games, is the lack of skill required.
Everything is automated, whereby you just press the 'pass' button, and then eventually the 'shoot' button to score.
A greater degree of control would be great.
I suggest the use of both analogue sticks, one for movement and the other to precisely target exactly where you want to kick the ball within a 360 degree axis.
i think that'd be great.

so what do you think?
these are just a few suggestions for current genres, i have a few ideas for original games involving sheep but i'll post about them later. (when i'm feeling horny)<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-19-2002).]

Lie
06-19-2002, 09:04 AM
This kid who I had a crush on in seventh grade (my first serious crush on someone my age) used to "design" video games in his notebook during math class. I forgot all about that...

And yes, I thought it was sexy.<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by Lie (edited 06-19-2002).]

sleeper
06-19-2002, 10:01 AM
those are pretty good ideas. the rpg idea is nice. post the original ideas

DeviousJ
06-19-2002, 11:47 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
I think what would be a great addition in these games would be a stamina bar. Your regular movement around the arena wouldn't deplete this bar. But you have a 'dash' button that you tap where, in certain circumstances you could rush an opponent. Or utilise it in a way to allow you to leap or roll out of the way of fire.
i think this would add depth whereby hiding and conserving your energy before launching an attack could be cool, just like in real life, man.</font>

There have been dash buttons in a few games... no retail ones spring to mind at the moment, but Firearms for Halflife and Day of Defeat both incorporate the dash/stamina idea, and games like Action HL and The Opera let you use a stunt button to pull off cool dives and rolls

Not exactly a game idea... but I think one of the next big developments in gaming will come through AI - to the point where companies start selling AI cards, in the same way they sell graphics cards to boost the visual quality of games. Imagine a game where a location isn't sparsely populated, but instead is full of hundreds of people, all behaving realistically - interacting with each other, and with the environment. So much so, that two people coded with an aggressive personality would start a fight between themselves if they happened to collide in the street. People would become suspicious of you if they see you behaving strangely, possibly informing others of your activities, or if you were unlucky enough to be pursued, it would be possible to lose youself in a crowd - provided you didn't stand out visually, of course. This isn't any game in particular - I just think games will move this way soon, toward building a totally believable environment. And the better your AI card, the better and more involved your game experience.

(Dan, did you play System Shock 2 yet?)

undivinemartyr
06-19-2002, 12:19 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel:
Something where some primary colored animal character runs around and collects coins or fruit or other items while being pursued and/or attacked by spiky monsters. I don't think anything like that has ever been done before.

</font>

You're talking about Mario/Super Mario?

He rocks my ass. Hard.

Affectation
06-19-2002, 12:44 PM
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051310.jpg

<font color=00ff33>Something such as this.

darcy_is_sexy
06-19-2002, 12:45 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
It probably isn't that easy to develop your own games. It apparently takes time and a basic knowledge of C+ programming.

i started a thread about the playstation yaroze (http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f53a0ff16314ac2298079ddbffb1d2eb&threadid=20585) recently. A development kit for the home user.
it'd be great if game programming was easily accessibile.

So, do you have any cool game ideas?
Are there reasons why you are unhappy with the current genres?
How would you evolve them?

Try to be descriptive, so that I can steal the ideas and then sell them.

<font size=1>
(I'll post mine in the unlikely eventuality that this thread doesn't bomb.)</font></font>

You can already develop Dreamcast games without an expensive-ass devkit. http://www.dcemulation.com

In fact, it should be easier than you think, because you don't need a modchip, the Dreamcast is well-documented, and it runs WinCE for easy porting of shit you made for computers. The downside is that if you don't know C++ you're out of luck, but luckily I do http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

People have made cool things for Dreamcast like emulators for other systems, remakes of Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, even BSD and Linux. There's also several MP3 players, video players (including DivX), and even a homebrew hard drive interface.

Affectation
06-19-2002, 12:46 PM
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051307.jpg

darcy_is_sexy
06-19-2002, 12:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
and maybe max payne for it's interesting albeit not very well implemented, slow motion.

I think what would be a great addition in these games would be a stamina bar. Your regular movement around the arena wouldn't deplete this bar. But you have a 'dash' button that you tap where, in certain circumstances you could rush an opponent. Or utilise it in a way to allow you to leap or roll out of the way of fire.
i think this would add depth whereby hiding and conserving your energy before launching an attack could be cool, just like in real life, man.</font>

About the slow motion in Max Payne: What are you, joking? I had a feeling that when the game was in development that the whole slow motion thing would be a stupid gimmick to get you to buy the game. However, that was not the case. The slow motion was an integral part of the game, in fact, it was damn near impossible to win without it.

And the "stamina bar" was already done. Since you talked about the implementation of slow motion in Max Payne, maybe you overlooked that the slow motion in Max Payne was a status bar that recharged. In fact, some of the things you could do with the slow motion was dodge bullets, dive and roll out of the way. And your regular movement never depleted it.

DeviousJ
06-19-2002, 01:29 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051310.jpg

<font color=00ff33>Something such as this.</font>

Good though that game looks, I bet they're pissed that GTA3 got a PC port before they managed to roll it out

Mayfuck
06-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Someone should make a Netphoria video game.

wangcomputers
06-19-2002, 04:24 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
(Dan, did you play System Shock 2 yet?)</font>

not yet, did you get my e-mail?
I have to stay here at Uni until Friday.
the games are waiting for me at home, danke. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon7.gif

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by darcy_is_sexy:
About the slow motion in Max Payne: What are you, joking? I had a feeling that when the game was in development that the whole slow motion thing would be a stupid gimmick to get you to buy the game. However, that was not the case. The slow motion was an integral part of the game, in fact, it was damn near impossible to win without it.

And the "stamina bar" was already done. Since you talked about the implementation of slow motion in Max Payne, maybe you overlooked that the slow motion in Max Payne was a status bar that recharged. In fact, some of the things you could do with the slow motion was dodge bullets, dive and roll out of the way. And your regular movement never depleted it.</font>

to be honest, I haven't played the game. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif
But from what I read about it. (mainly from edge), the slow motion made the game too easy.
I didn't know FPS had stamina bars though, maybe i should check them out.

I'll post about my great original ideas, later. I'm hungry.

darcy_is_sexy
06-19-2002, 04:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
to be honest, I haven't played the game. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif
But from what I read about it. (mainly from edge), the slow motion made the game too easy.
</font>

Too easy? I had to save and reload at least a hundred times before I beat that game. It was actually one of the hardest games I've ever played. And I got the PC version where I had good controls.

relaxor!
06-19-2002, 06:44 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051310.jpg

<font color=00ff33>Something such as this.</font>

that's Mafia right? man, that game looks great. I'm a pretty big GTA3 fan, so I'm happy. plus it's coming to all three systems (I think). that means my Gamecube will be happy.

I think that my ideal game would be something like the new XBox RPG Morrowind. Huge, non-linear, and in the D+D style.


------------------
http://sfstory.free.fr/images/BladeRunner/13.jpg
It's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?

THRILLHO
06-19-2002, 07:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Someone should make a Netphoria video game.</font>

that's not a bad idea!
i'm picturing something kind of like "where in the world is carmen sandiego" where you are Andrew Pakula and you have to find a hacker by travelling around the world and tracking down IP addresses. but the leads and info you collect might be false, due to things being hacked. and you'd travel to hundreds of netphorian houses around the globe, and each netphorian house would be like a side-scrolling mario level with a netphorian as a boss or something.

i'd also like to make a cartoonish fighting game with only two characters, but they can do absolutley anything. they'd have, like, 500 moves each, and 500 finishing moves each, and there'd be rules and techinicalities like in sports, so there'd be multiple approaches to defeating the other guy. it would be both silly and hilarious like smash bros and strategic. the moves would be completley insane, like you could grab your energy bar and beat the other guy with it, or a move where a whole bunch of screaming fans come and cheer you on so loud that the other guy can't hear himself talk and therefore his moves are disabled, or you pull out a bottle of wine, drink it and smash it across your head and are drunk and try to kill the other guy with a broken bottle. i have dozens of moves like this documented. and there would be a stage on a trampoline in the sky.

i'd also want to make a game about a deadbeat zamboni driver who gets accidentally teleported (along with his zamboni) to an ice planet and is the only one who can save planet earth from killer ice goats by navigating his pimped-out zamboni (equipped with mounted weapons, of course) across violent and disturbing landscapes, tidying up ice trails along the way. it would be kind of like mario 64 and old-school shooter games combined.

i did actually make an 2-player-vs old school-arcade-type game called Bob Wars. i should find it. it was done with klik 'n' play and was pretty simple, but fun and cute.

i'd also want to make a mario/megaman type 2d scroller games with complex puzzles and vast levels, because i used to design crazy levels and mazes like that.

so i'm downloading rpgmaker2000. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif does anyone know a good 2-D action game creator?

THRILLHO
06-19-2002, 08:05 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:

people normally criticise on the linearity of the games.
I think what would be great is an idea similar to Resident Evil 2, whereby the paths of two different games (and characters) can interlink and effect one another.
Depending on what choices you make
Programming a vast set of possibilities. Or perhaps an engine which could auto-generate sequences, to some extent, could be beneficial.
deciding not to go to a certain town for example may prevent a party member from being killed. Therefore changing the storyline - and adding more replay value.

Total freedom of character progression would be great too. FFX does attempt to do this using the grid, but it doesn't have a substantial enough effect.
In these games, it shouldn't be possible to get "everything". It's important for the choices that you make in these games to have some meaning to your game, whether they be good or bad decisions.
I think rpg games need to add elements like this to prevent otherwise inevitable monotony.

</font>

i've often thought about that too, but you really hit it on the head. especially the part about not being able to "get everything."

i'd be great if games were more adventurous and let your actions have actually large consequences, such as a main character getting killed or getting sent to another land, so that not only the endings are different, but the entire last half of the story could be completley different.

i think the trick is to make the game itself a little less complex. if an rpg was less driven by video sequences and intricate fight and level systems and character development plots that depend on too many factors so they can fall into place, it would be easier to fuck around with the plot and be non-linear but still be balanced.

i bet if they spent more time testing a FF game rather than rushing a new one out every year, they could totally pull it off.

tear stained glass
06-20-2002, 01:42 AM
It would be rpg-ish except for the battle sequence. Because those generally bore me because of their simplicity and real lack of skill (at least the ones I've played), I'd make something so that when you encountered an enemy it would take on aspects of a first person shooter. But I'm sure that's been done before.

wangcomputers
06-20-2002, 08:52 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
that's not a bad idea!
i'm picturing something kind of like "where in the world is carmen sandiego" where you are Andrew Pakula and you have to find a hacker by travelling around the world and tracking down IP addresses. but the leads and info you collect might be false, due to things being hacked. and you'd travel to hundreds of netphorian houses around the globe, and each netphorian house would be like a side-scrolling mario level with a netphorian as a boss or something.
</font>

haha that's awesome.
I'd have it as a game where you have to climb your way to moderator status, while avoiding the menacing Pakula from banning your IP. (IP=HP).
It'd be similar to GTA3 but instead, of having the police you just have pakula (a Judge Dread type character) -Pakula is the law. Instead of the rival gangs, you just have rival trolls competing.

You get points for teasing people, and making lame topics.
And if you suck up to Judge Dread (pakula) you get an extra bonus, making your climb to mod-status that much faster.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
i'd also like to make a cartoonish fighting game with only two characters, but they can do absolutely anything. they'd have, like, 500 moves each, and 500 finishing moves each, and there'd be rules and techinicalities like in sports, so there'd be multiple approaches to defeating the other guy. it would be both silly and hilarious like smash bros and strategic. the moves would be completely insane, like you could grab your energy bar and beat the other guy with it, or a move where a whole bunch of screaming fans come and cheer you on so loud that the other guy can't hear himself talk and therefore his moves are disabled, or you pull out a bottle of wine, drink it and smash it across your head and are drunk and try to kill the other guy with a broken bottle. i have dozens of moves like this documented. and there would be a stage on a trampoline in the sky.</font>


that's cool. I've had similar thoughts.
Playing games like Power Stone 2 and Ergheiz is cool, but they need to make battles more complex and strategic.
Same thing with side scrolling fighting games. The best ones I've played are Ghost Chaser (get it at www.oneminuteleft.com) (http://www.oneminuteleft.com)) and Gekido, because you have loads of moves at your disposal, and the juggle factor too.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:

i bet if they spent more time testing a FF game rather than rushing a new one out every year, they could totally pull it off.</font>

Absolutely. But I think FFXI by going online is a bit of a risk, and early reports suggest that it's paid off.
You rule markus. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-20-2002).]

sleeper
06-20-2002, 08:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">like you could grab your energy bar and beat the other guy with it,</font>

HAAHA that is a awsome idea.

in terms of non-linear games, i think GTA3 is on the right track. where there is a game for you to play, but it also has the exploration and freedom element. games like FF force you into the plot and make you fight, and force you on a linear path. I think one of the biggest reasons videogames are so fun because they allow temporary escape, so games like FF or GTA3 are great because they even allow you to even be someone else in a different world. tamagochi and the sims allow kinda the same thing. almost like a new start. so it takes ten times the effort but in terms of rpg's, screw the superpowers and hp shit and make it just a simulation of life. so you can go to town and find a job, or just sit on your ass in your backyard throwing rocks at the local kids all day. all with tamagochi/the sims style effects on you and your life. so in the end there is no real story progressing, but your character is. just like life. so for all the millions of nerds out there, and people sick with there lives, they get a safe, fully-functional retry at life. add an online element and there would be no need for reality anymore.

wangcomputers
06-20-2002, 09:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
HAAHA that is a awsome idea.

in terms of non-linear games, i think GTA3 is on the right track. where there is a game for you to play, but it also has the exploration and freedom element. games like FF force you into the plot and make you fight, and force you on a linear path. I think one of the biggest reasons videogames are so fun because they allow temporary escape, so games like FF or GTA3 are great because they even allow you to even be someone else in a different world. tamagochi and the sims allow kinda the same thing. almost like a new start. so it takes ten times the effort but in terms of rpg's, screw the superpowers and hp shit and make it just a simulation of life. so you can go to town and find a job, or just sit on your ass in your backyard throwing rocks at the local kids all day. all with tamagochi/the sims style effects on you and your life. so in the end there is no real story progressing, but your character is. just like life. so for all the millions of nerds out there, and people sick with there lives, they get a safe, fully-functional retry at life. add an online element and there would be no need for reality anymore. </font>

sounds like shenmue<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-20-2002).]

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-20-2002, 09:07 AM
<font color=#007AAA>It would be the most complete baseball simulation known to man. From realistic games to a complete financial model. It would be so awesome, I would get erections playing it.


------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

sleeper
06-20-2002, 10:19 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
sounds like shenmue<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-20-2002).]</font>


yeah but still in shenmue there is a mission you have to complete. i mean like no responsibilities. i mean like if you wanted a car in the game youd have to work for it to buy one. or take another path and steal one. its all up to you and it all effect your life. gta3's got it down almost, its just they focus to much on using this freedom to go nuts and kill people, whcih im down with, but they couldve done so much more with the world and engine they built up/

DeviousJ
06-20-2002, 10:44 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
HAAHA that is a awsome idea.

in terms of non-linear games, i think GTA3 is on the right track. where there is a game for you to play, but it also has the exploration and freedom element. games like FF force you into the plot and make you fight, and force you on a linear path. I think one of the biggest reasons videogames are so fun because they allow temporary escape, so games like FF or GTA3 are great because they even allow you to even be someone else in a different world. tamagochi and the sims allow kinda the same thing. almost like a new start. so it takes ten times the effort but in terms of rpg's, screw the superpowers and hp shit and make it just a simulation of life. so you can go to town and find a job, or just sit on your ass in your backyard throwing rocks at the local kids all day. all with tamagochi/the sims style effects on you and your life. so in the end there is no real story progressing, but your character is. just like life. so for all the millions of nerds out there, and people sick with there lives, they get a safe, fully-functional retry at life. add an online element and there would be no need for reality anymore. </font>

The more I play GTA, the more I realize how restricted the world is. I mean it's great, it's fun what you can do but you start to notice things you can't do... like the way cars disappear if you look away from them, the way the police always know exactly where you are... if the missions weren't in there, it would be to the game's detriment. Games like Shenmue, where you can just hang out and do lots of different things, seem much freer, even with the fixed storyline. I can see games becoming much freer and more complex (hence my AI-card post) in this way, just because it makes the game (whatever it may be) much more immersive

Tamagochi? :/

sleeper
06-20-2002, 11:19 AM
i was illustrating that video games are so popular because they are an escape. the success of tamagochi was an example. people like being someone other than themselves. haah sooner or later everyone realizes life isnt that carebare fantasy world they wanted it to be and they need a substitute. i think the new direction of games, without a doubt, is increases freedom. even games like halo, which you have an expansive enviroment to fuck around with. linear games can only offer so much. if a game TRULY incorporates life-life freedoms and openess the game can never get boring, you can only get boring. games like mario or streetfighter are all fun as fuck, but they all are finite and will get boring after a while. so if a game has no limitation, you can turn it into any game you want. GTA3 is a violent kill frenzy if you want it to be. thats why i hate all those moron power-moms that want to like ban games like GTA3. vice said it best "parents canít complain about kids blowing peopleís heads off. Thatís not part of the game. You get rewarded for killing bad guys but as far as innocent civilians go, thatís your business. If the game is violent your kid is violent."

thats the kind of freedom in discussing. where the game is just an open ended realistic enviroment. its not an action game, or a puzzle game, or a fighting game or anything, its whatever you want it to be.

THRILLHO
06-20-2002, 07:34 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wangcomputers:
[B] Absolutely. But I think FFXI by going online is a bit of a risk, and early reports suggest that it's paid off.
You rule markus. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif</font>

no YOU rule, dan! YOU RULE! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

i have no idea what FF online would even be like at all. i have almost no experience with online RPGs. i'm imagining a fundamentally different type of system than all other FFs.

and yeah, making video games is, in a word, hard. the concept is one thing, but fleshing it out and making the game playable is totally different and takes all of your time for months, really. and that's after you know the code.

i also remembered another idea i had a while ago: Bionic Death Curling. remember those mutant league sports games? it'd be like that, only with curling. totally over the top, with giant lazers and guns and robots and fire.

yup, it's just too damn bad i'll never be a video game designer! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif maybe i'll know one. i might actually get the opportunity to do sound/music for video games one day, and would totally love to. so we'll see.

i just downloaded ghost chaser and gekido. and rpgmaker is amazing. you tried this, dan? i think netphoria: the rpg just got closer to reality.

wangcomputers
06-21-2002, 05:01 AM
Yeah, FF XI seems quite different gameplay-wise. People can join other people in mid-fight, and so too can monsters so fights can apparently escalate out of control.
Here are some screenshots, they look pretty cool.

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7357d609abf7c3c00e6a7055ec739100&thre adid=15021 (http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7357d609abf7c3c00e6a7055ec739100&threadid=15021)

I haven't tried rpg-maker-2000 yet, but I'll look into it, thanks.

you have ghost chaser?

have a look of at my ghost chaser FAQ:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/game/14426.html

it's the only FAQ I've written, and probably the only one you'll find on the internet.
<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-21-2002).]

darcy_is_sexy
06-21-2002, 12:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
<font color=#007AAA>It would be the most complete baseball simulation known to man. From realistic games to a complete financial model. It would be so awesome, I would get erections playing it.
</font>

if you're the managerial type, Out Of The Park is for you. http://www.ootp.net

wangcomputers
06-27-2002, 12:57 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
http://www.mafia-game.com/scrshots/01051307.jpg </font>

this would be a good one to photoshop.
<font size=1>(preferably not with me though)<font color=black>

[This message has been edited by wangcomputers (edited 06-27-2002).]