View Full Version : MIT puts all their courses online free of charge

undersco_red
08-26-2007, 10:23 PM
http://ocw.mit.edu

of course you can't get a degree from MIT for free, but i bet you can CLEP your way to a degree somewhere decent.

RopeyLopey
08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
nice.

RopeyLopey
08-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Well I must say assignments for Satellite Engineering course look pretty sweet.

sleeper
08-26-2007, 10:42 PM
it been free like this for years though. or was it expanded recently or something?

in any case, yeah, its awesome. i have a lot of courses bookmarked and intend to go through them one day. i think its a really enlightened decision on their part to do this

undersco_red
08-26-2007, 10:54 PM
not sure. i only recently stumbled upon it.

it is a great idea and don't have any reason to not take advantage of it. i need to become more of an autodidact.

wounded
08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
huh, this is intersting, too bad i have too much law school stuff to do to listen to them

sleeper
08-26-2007, 11:09 PM
not sure. i only recently stumbled upon it.

it is a great idea and don't have any reason to not take advantage of it. i need to become more of an autodidact.

yeah absolutely. feed your curiosity. you cant lose.

hate to be cheesy and bust out some solemn quote and everything but i always think of this when i think of this topic (its stanely kubrick, who never went to college or anything and was incredibly well educated)
I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.

RopeyLopey
08-26-2007, 11:24 PM
(its stanley kubrick, who never went to college or anything and was incredibly well educated)well yeah, but interest is not an universal feature shared by all humans; fear is.

Trotskilicious
08-27-2007, 01:59 AM
i was never afraid of flunking courses

aurel
08-27-2007, 08:28 AM
This is class. Thanks.

smurfing
08-27-2007, 11:11 AM
the thought of sleeper instructing himself with MIT's free courseware makes me want to get hyphy