View Full Version : Do you spare change for the homeless?

spava
06-17-2002, 01:00 PM
<font color=crimson>Why or why not?

Vacancy
06-17-2002, 01:02 PM
sometimes.

well, there's this one crack headed individual who is always outside this liquor store we go to. the first time i saw him he came up to my car and told some big long crackhead story about needing gas money so i gave him whatever change i had in the car. then i started seeing him every fucking time i was at the liquor store. later on we found out once he gets enough money that he gets from people he buys a 40 or something. no whenever he asks me for money i tell him to fuck off

Shandi
06-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Well, once in downtown Indianapolis, my friend I were walking out of a Steak'n'Shake (a diner for those that have not heard of them) and there was a homeless person outside asking for change. We threw him a little bit, and a freakin cop got all pissed and yelled at us for it. He said that begging on the streets is not allowed and he would arrest us next time he saw us doing it. Weird.

lucky_13
06-17-2002, 01:12 PM
i'm a sucker for anyone playing an instrument. there's this old man who plays the violin in the 34th street subway station in nyc that i'm in love with. its just amazing hearing such beautiful music when you want to kill commuters with your bare hands. i always throw him a few dollars.

pale_princess
06-17-2002, 01:15 PM
about once a month... i just hate it when i give them some quarters and they're all "aww, don't you have a loonie/twoonie??" (canadian one-dollar and two-dollar coins). fuck off. i gave you *something*

AndySlash
06-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Only if they're doing something constructive, i.e. playing an instrument, juggling, etc. I damn sure ain't giving someone money if they're just going to sit there.

------------------
Fuck You.
Tradelist (http://home.talkcity.com/TwentiesCir/andyslash/Tradelist.html)

bittertrance
06-17-2002, 02:56 PM
a guy eating taco bell outside of the supermarket yesterday yelled at me because i couldnt give him any change

"well maybe ON YOUR WAY OUT!!!! I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!!!"

hey if he took ATM i could have

Oblivious
06-17-2002, 03:22 PM
i won't give money to a homeless person cause i'm sure they'll use it to but booze or smack. so i will buy food or offer clothes or something instead. it all depends on the situation. when i lived in downtown chicago i would carry apples and other fruits in my back pack and whenever anyone asked for change i offered them an apple or whatever. around here where i live now the homeles population is nowhere near as big as right in the city and they all congregate in one specific area here. i have brought them leftover's from meals and coats and sweaters during the winter.

------------------
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-17-2002, 03:44 PM
No I dont

it goes like this

spare change>>>>>homeless guy>>>>>>booze

spare change>>>>>charity, soup kitchen>>>>beds, food etc

this is why.

FearFactory
06-17-2002, 04:55 PM
<font color="orange">I rarely give money to homeless individuals or charities. I don't trust people's intentions. Now, if someone asks "hey, can you buy me a sandwich?", I am much more likely to do it.
</font>

KingJeremy
06-17-2002, 05:15 PM
I used to give change to homeless people but now I don't.

I just don't understand why they can't get a job at McDonalds. There is always some fast food restaurant hiring.

------------------
sear those thoughts of me
alone and unhappy
i never liked me anyway
if by chance
or circumstance
we should fail
don't be so sad

Skye
06-17-2002, 05:28 PM
I feel really embarassed giving people money. Unless they are playing instruments or there is this one guy who is all *silver* and he wizzes like a robot when you drop a coin in his hat.

so:
buskers: YES
junkies: NO

DeviousJ
06-17-2002, 05:37 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Oblivious:
i won't give money to a homeless person cause i'm sure they'll use it to but booze or smack. so i will buy food or offer clothes or something instead. it all depends on the situation. when i lived in downtown chicago i would carry apples and other fruits in my back pack and whenever anyone asked for change i offered them an apple or whatever. around here where i live now the homeles population is nowhere near as big as right in the city and they all congregate in one specific area here. i have brought them leftover's from meals and coats and sweaters during the winter.

</font>

You kick ass

Dead Frequency
06-17-2002, 05:59 PM
I will give them some if it is late at night and I am afraid that they will kick my ass if I don't.

"Oh you don't have any change huh? GIVE ME YOUR CD PLAYER THEN, BUCKO! *HOMELESS ATTACK*"

Lucy Sky Diamonds
06-17-2002, 10:26 PM
I never give them change. I am willing to bet they have more change in their pockets then I do on a good day.

Sometimes the restaurant across from my store gives me a huge bag of sandwiches at closing (like, 10 sandwiches) and I'll give them out to a couple of homeless people on the subway on my way home. But never cash.

Last week this guy asked me for money while I was walking home in the rain. It was pouring rain out, and really cold. I was carrying 2 gallons of paint, a mop, and loads of other cleaning supplies. I didn't have a jacket. This guy had a nice, warm looking windbreaker. I offered him $5 for the windbreaker. He told me to fuck off.

Why would you ask a girl in a t-shirt for cash when it's 10C outside, if you're in a jacket? Grrr.

------------------
I'm a member of the thought police and the Junior Anti Sex League. Double think that, BITCH!

AIM: ZeppieLed

Mirror_Untrue
06-17-2002, 10:56 PM
If I happen to have a free coffee card or am near somewhere where I can get them food then I do that first, but if I'm in a hurry and they ask yes, I always give them change. The ones I know and talk to usually get a few dollars.

------------------
Love, peace and harmony?
Love, peace and harmony?
Oh, very nice
very nice
very nice
very nice
... but maybe in the next world

darcytheihawhore
06-17-2002, 11:18 PM
no money occaisionly I'll buy someone a meal or give them a few cigarettes or something (sometimes that can make someone's day).

------------------
did I mention lube...

So very sad about me
06-17-2002, 11:55 PM
I've bought food for homeless people before, but i would never give them money

Mark LeDrew
06-18-2002, 12:01 AM
We don't allow riff raff like that in our town.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

I hope you know a strong man who can lend you a hand lowering my casket.

Andrew_Pakula
06-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Only very rarely, usually to the odd street kids in downtown Toronto.

The majority of the time I don't give them anything. A lot of them where I live I think are scam artists, they sell these stupid Homeless newspapers every day and too be honest they don't even look homeless to me. I never see these guys sleeping on the streets or benches anywhere here at night, they are only there during the day to collect your money and at night they go to their homes.

The only real bumb in my area I see pushes around a shopping kart and sleeps in the park and he never asks for any money.

All these other "fake" homeless guys just hassle people on the street. For over 3 years a couple of these guys bug me every day to buy their Outreach newspaper, you would think after a couple dozen times of asking me they would remember and stop asking me.

tear stained glass
06-18-2002, 01:49 AM
No, but only because I never encounter any homeless and rarely have any change.

spava
06-18-2002, 01:50 AM
<font color=crimson>Living downtown Toronto, I get asked to spare some change at least 10 to 15 times a day. After walking past this old guy for the past two months everyday without stopping, today I gave him a buck. He was very appreciative and polite. As I continued down the street on my way to work, I passed by a group of homeless men in a park. They were bragging to eachother in the middle of the afternoon about how drunk they were. I felt kinda.. meh. It wrecked the way I felt about giving the dollar to the other guy. I never know if I should spare or not. I guess I prefer to buy them food. Good call Oblivious.

bittertrance
06-18-2002, 03:58 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by FearFactory:
<font color="orange">I rarely give money to homeless individuals or charities. I don't trust people's intentions. Now, if someone asks "hey, can you buy me a sandwich?", I am much more likely to do it.
</font></font>

will you buy me a pickle?

not just any pickle...one of those big ole deli sour pickles yummmm

Red Wine Cage
06-18-2002, 04:17 AM
this past saturday i was down in Westport [the "place to be" here in Missouri] and 2 religious guys give me and my friends some pamphlets, which I deemed "Jesus flyers". They said "it's nice to see some Jesus fans" and I was thinking, "Okay, I'm religious and all, but I'm not God's fan. I don't have posters and mp3's of Jesus."
Anyway, in Westport you will no doubt be asked atleast once for change, guaranteed. So, in passing, this bum stepped out in front of us and asked for some change. I told him I had none, but I had "a nice Jesus Flyer" and gave it to him, even though he didn't want it.
Later on down the road, another guy concocted some story about how he needed to get to some state to see his kids for Father's Day and I gave him the option of a smoke or a Jesus Flyer, holding out both. Needless to say, he picked the smoke.

Well it was funnier in person. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif

------------------
This jello shot (http://www.livejournal.com/users/pumpkinsfan) I think went straight (http://www.picturetrail.com/pumpkinsfan) to my head (http://pumpkins.iwarp.com).

http://www.bugeyeproductions.com/eye.jpg

Mr MacPhisto
06-18-2002, 04:38 AM
chicago is pretty bad with homeless people. they usually bother you until you give them something. i was eating at a resturant with some friends in the middle of the night, and a homeless man came in and asked for money. no concideration at all.

scouse_dave
06-18-2002, 04:47 AM
i never give money...ever

there's NO NEED to beg in england, the social welfare system is so good

i have no sympathy for them

Lie
06-18-2002, 09:26 AM
I give money to street musicians. I also give money to people if they come up with a particularly good story as to why they need it, or if I feel they're asking me sincerely and directly. I don't give money to people who are obviously making a career of it, standing on street corners holding a cup mumbling "spare some change?" to every person who walks by.

KingJeremy
06-18-2002, 09:29 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr MacPhisto:
chicago is pretty bad with homeless people. they usually bother you until you give them something. i was eating at a resturant with some friends in the middle of the night, and a homeless man came in and asked for money. no concideration at all.</font>I would have went to get the manager to kick them out.

------------------
sear those thoughts of me
alone and unhappy
i never liked me anyway
if by chance
or circumstance
we should fail
don't be so sad

sleeper
06-18-2002, 02:38 PM
andrews got it right. i live in toronto and i swear to god 9/10 "homeless" people are just a bunch of phony, stupid fuck punk kids who come downtown to get money and then go home to their rich neighborhoods. its like anyone who would go downtown to hang out, the only difference is that they sit on the sidewalk instead of a bench. all of a sudden their worth for people's kindness. those little shits get me so so so mad. they have like the latest greatest "AnARChy" shirt on and like freshly dyed, gelled, and washed green hair and try so much to fit into the whole anti-society bullshit that they become "homeless". homeless people who are like the guy in Groundhog Day id give food to or a book or something, but snotty goth kids can go fuck themselves.

Ammy
06-18-2002, 03:25 PM
if I have it. but i usually only have my debit card anyway.

there was once this lady in SF going to all of the ashtrays for cigarette butts that were still smokable.. so I gave her my pack.. sure I'm helping her die, but at least she's smoking fresh cigs, right? *shrug*

TheHappiestBoyInTheWorld
06-18-2002, 04:14 PM
Here's a story that I like to remember when I need to reaffirm my faith in myself:

My friend Jared and I used to go to a sandwich shop called Jordan's all the time when we were in our early teens. It was owned and operated by a kindly older gentleman named Jordan Teller, who was a wizard at making delicious sandwiches. Despite this, his sandwich shop didn't do a great deal of business and closed when we were sixteen.

In January of 2001, Jared and I were cutting through an alley behind the local movie theater when we saw a man sleeping beneath a cardboard box. He had no jacket and was obviously freezing. We looked closer and saw that it was Mr. Teller, the man who used to serve me a chicken salad sandwich with mustard almost every day for three years.

Shocked, Jared and I woke him up to ask him what he was doing outside. He told us that after his shop closed, he moved in with his brother in town since he could no longer afford his own place. His brother was killed in a car accident a few months ago, though, and he was soon without residence. Due to his age, lack of transportation--there are no buses here--and the fact that he never completed high school, he couldn't find a job.

At first we thought there was nothing we could do but give our sympathy and a little cash, but I didn't think that was enough. I went back the next day and took Mr. Teller to buy a nice winter coat, boots, gloves, and a hat to wear, as well as some nice clothes. Since at that time I had an apartment with a strict landlord, I couldn't let him live with me, but I arranged for him to move in with my friend Tim, whose father found him a job in his office. Soon Mr. Teller could afford a small apartment downtown, and was supporting himself again. It's not a glamorous existance, but in me mind he's no less noble than royalty.

I don't mistake myself for a good person, but sometimes when I feel like the most worthless parasite of society, I try to use this anecdote to remind myself that there's good in me, too.

Sorry for bringing this so off-topic. I guess I should respond: although I rarely have any spare change, I try to give as much as I can.

sawdust restaurants
06-18-2002, 05:17 PM
I know that when we had a Netphorian meetup in Raleigh, before I got there, this extraordinarily scraggy-looking man came up to our contingent, which was simply walking down the street, and asked its members if they could spare some change.

When they asked him what he needed it for, the obviously drunk man told them he needed it to buy heroin, because he hadn't received his fix in a few days and was desperate.

I felt really fucking bad when I heard that story, but then, what do you do in that situation?

Chicken Lover
06-18-2002, 10:42 PM
I don't give and I don't buy the big issue either.

Lie
06-18-2002, 11:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ammy:
if I have it. but i usually only have my debit card anyway.

there was once this lady in SF going to all of the ashtrays for cigarette butts that were still smokable.. so I gave her my pack.. sure I'm helping her die, but at least she's smoking fresh cigs, right? *shrug*</font>

No, that's cool. You saved her some self-respect.