View Full Version : Silverchair - Young Modern

theFoulLasagna
08-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Has anyone else bought this? I heard it was good so I got it a couple of weeks ago. it's fantastic! i was expecting big guitar rock anthems.....well, that is not what this album is about. It's much more beatlsey that I expected. Good stuff.

Also....the first song is a little weak....but other than that, every song is great.

jenga66
08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I gave up on Silverchair a long time ago. I didn't like "Diorama" too much so I wasn't expecting a lot from them now. I heard "Straight Lines" and I began to wonder what happened to the Silverchair I knew all those years ago. Sure, it's valid for a band to expand their sound, but now Daniel sings like his wife (Natalie Imburglia).

redbull
08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Diorama had such promise. what the fuck happened to this band?

trev
08-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Diorama had such promise. what the fuck happened to this band?
paul mac :(

Rockin' Cherub
08-23-2007, 04:29 AM
when were they ever good

the sellout
08-23-2007, 01:37 PM
the new album is very Air Supplyish.

I hate it when musicians get happy

jenga66
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Well after being anorexic and catching a rare type of arthiritis at such a young age will change your outlook on life (then again, look at Trent Reznor). I don't think the happy sound fits them at all. The first three albums were fantastic-Frogstomp, Freakshow, and even Neon Ballroom was decent. For the most part as I've said before, I don't like that Justin Timberlake tone Daniel took up after he recovered. I miss the Helmet inspired Silverchair.

Even the Dissosociatives (sp?) sucked.

Skradgee
08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I dig Silverchair's song on the Spawn soundtrack. It's rockin'.

sincere
08-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I saw them a few weeks back in London. 7th time Ive seen them live and the best.

They have really changed a lot in the last few years, the last record Diorama was amazing, a cinematic masterpiece. This new record is quite different - very reminiscent of Daniels other band "The Dissociatives".

Worth checking out.

Fattening Ass
08-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Diorama was amazing, a cinematic masterpiece.

WORD BEST MOVIE EVER

slunken
08-24-2007, 05:55 AM
WORD BEST MOVIE EVER
:rofl:

Sonic Johnny
08-24-2007, 06:12 AM
i read an interview with Daniel 'fagjacket' Johns and Bernard 'bigtits' Fanning the other day where they said that the first time their two bands (Silverchair and Powderfinger, FYI) met was in 94 when they both opened for <b><i>Pantera</i></b>.

whut?!

Caine Walker
08-24-2007, 12:07 PM
who wants to up it? i know someone does!

yelims
08-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I saw them a few weeks ago too, and i wish now that a hadn't

redbull
08-24-2007, 01:09 PM
yeah they sucked live

Caine Walker
08-24-2007, 01:13 PM
they didn't suck! i thought they were actually pretty decent. daniel johns was a tad full of himself, but they did a pretty good job of rockin' lolla.

Trotskilicious
08-24-2007, 01:19 PM
hahahaha is this band really still around? No way. Let the 90s die.

PUUUURE MASSACRE

redbull
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
trotsky seriously shut the fuck up if you haven't heard Diorama. thats a sweet album

redbull
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
they didn't suck! i thought they were actually pretty decent. daniel johns was a tad full of himself, but they did a pretty good job of rockin' lolla.
i was bored at lollapalooza
maybe it was because they played way too much stuff off the new album. Where was "Tuna in the Brine"?

Caine Walker
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
:: shrug:: i have no idea. i never bought anything after frogstomp. i didn't recognize one single song from that show, but i had a good time nonetheless. i was also two beers and no food deep at that point, so that may have had something to do with it.

Trotskilicious
08-24-2007, 02:38 PM
trotsky seriously shut the fuck up if you haven't heard Diorama. thats a sweet album

o rly

redbull
08-24-2007, 02:43 PM
o rly
ya rly

seriously there are some good songs on that album (Tuna in the Brine, Without You, Across The Night)

Trotskilicious
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
yeah but you're like 16, right?

wHATcOLOR
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
i like diorama and young modern. i don't really like the stuff before diorama very much, though i do like some of neon ballroom.

we've had this discussion a few times. the band itself said that they'd like to forget about the first two cds, since at the time they didn't really know fully what they were doing and hadn't really gone in their own direction at that point. that seems fair enough to me, it's a little frustrating when people automatically figure they're still the same as they were in the 90s. it's funny, their fans seem to be divided, some seem genuinely angry that they went away from the heavier sound

i dont find myself listening to young modern all that often, but when i do i like it

trev
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
they speak the truth. i'm 25 and agree with everything said so far. tuna is almost the best song daniel's ever written, or will ever write.

redbull
08-24-2007, 04:29 PM
yeah but I liked them alot more when I was 12, which makes me musicially equivalent to a 27 year old

jenga66
08-24-2007, 07:07 PM
it's funny, their fans seem to be divided, some seem genuinely angry that they went away from the heavier sound

Count me in with those fans.

wHATcOLOR
08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
do you think you'd enjoy it if they were making themselves play angsty, aggressive, loud music still, knowing it was disingenuous?

i dunno, to me, it'd be like seeing bill corgan singing bullet with butterfly wings when he's 40. not the most genuine of sights to see

smashingjj
08-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Has anyone else bought this? I heard it was good so I got it a couple of weeks ago. it's fantastic! i was expecting big guitar rock anthems.....well, that is not what this album is about. It's much more beatlsey that I expected. Good stuff.

Also....the first song is a little weak....but other than that, every song is great.
too much foul lasagna for you

jenga66
08-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I think the issue at hand here is that they began making music at such a young age. They had ample time to get all of the angst and aggression out within three albums. At least for me, Neon Ballroom was the end of the Silverchair I knew. It seems that post NB, Daniel got a little too ballsy for his own good. Everything about his approach changed. The way he sings, his guitar playing, and most importantly, the songs. The nature and melody of the songs digress from the impression their fans initially had of them.

If this is the way Silverchair was originally supposed to be, then I never would've liked them to begin with.

sweetanthony
08-25-2007, 02:02 AM
A unique story for a band, a unique singer/songwriter, and since they really grew into true musicians (Neon Ballroom), they've written unique albums.

To write off Diorama or Young Modern because they don't "rock" or are "heavy" is plain dumb and you'll be missing out on great music. Silverchair will be around for a long time doing all kinds of music whether it rocks, its happy, sad, whimsy, or danceable.... its just really really good.

Gossamer
08-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Young Modern is pretty darn good.

trev
08-26-2007, 12:00 AM
To write off Diorama or Young Modern because they don't "rock" or are "heavy" is plain dumb and you'll be missing out on great music. Silverchair will be around for a long time doing all kinds of music whether it rocks, its happy, sad, whimsy, or danceable.... its just really really good.
the main point in this thread was about young modern, not diorama. a lot of people here like diorama but don't like young modern.

and if you look at how it came about....after diorama the band took an indefinite "break". during this break paul and dan did the disociatives, the album and a tour. after that, dan began writing a new album, to be a solo or the next disociatives album.

then the tsunami happened. silverchair came out of hibernation for wave-aid, had a ball, played one of the best gigs they've ever done, and decided afterwards that they wanted to keep silverchair moving this time.

so daniel took the album he'd already written for the disociatives and silverchair recorded it -> result was young modern. it's not a silverchair album.