View Full Version : friends who kill themselves

Matt--
06-02-2002, 10:15 PM
so my friend rachel didnt call me today, cause we were supposed to go get a root beer float today.
so i called her boyfriends house(where she usually is) only to realize that he just found that she took 20 pills of xanax (strong pain medication).
and she's convulsing on the bed.

this fucking sucks, its always the people that you don't suspect that try to kill themselves.

well, he took her to the hospital, and hopefully everything turns out ok.
but it still sucks.

Elvis The Fat Years
06-02-2002, 10:17 PM
my friend blew his head off. the hospital was not an option.

[This message has been edited by Elvis The Fat Years (edited 06-02-2002).]

Oblivious
06-02-2002, 10:23 PM
when i was a sophmore in high school one of my friends was supposed to come to the opening night of a play that i was in. he didn't show up. cause he had blown his stupid head off. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif
and then a couple years ago a girl that i had known most of my life and at one time was close friends with parked her car and ran a hose in from the exhaust. she choked to death on her vomit. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

people can be so selfish. whenever i find myself close to doing something stupid i always have to stop and think about those two experiences and how they affected me. and then i have to remember that as much as i FEEL alone there are a few people that would probably care if something happened to me.

sorry matt. i hope that you're friend is okay. and you're right - it's always the people that you would never expect.

Elvis The Fat Years
06-02-2002, 10:26 PM
my friends suicide wasn't selfish. i dont feel like going into the whole story but...

im drunk n' happy and this post is bringin' me down

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 10:41 PM
<font color="silver">Suicide solves nothing.

Plain and simple.

sickbadthing
06-02-2002, 10:57 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Cerberus:
<font color="silver">Suicide solves nothing.</font>

Plain and simple.</font>

I'm not advocating suicide but it does end your life and that's the thing you're trying to escape so how is it not solving the problem?

funnygeezus
06-02-2002, 11:00 PM
<font color="silver">Suicide solves nothing.

Plain and simple.</font>

<font color=slate>so i cave and change MY color and you fucking give it up? you no good s.o.b..

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine patri, et fili, et spiritu sancti.
http://www.avalon.nf.ca/~rosemd/we3.jpg

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sickbadthing:
I'm not advocating suicide but it does end your life and that's the thing you're trying to escape so how is it not solving the problem?</font>

<font color="silver">I guess, in some sordid way, it does solve the problem...at the expense of anyone who cares about the person. In essense, it creates more problems that it solves.

------------------
Carpe diem, fortes fortuna juvat. Este fortes!

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:02 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by funnygeezus:
<font color=slate>so i cave and change MY color and you fucking give it up? you no good s.o.b..

</font>

<font color="silver">You're like a bad cold. I simply cannot shake you!

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif

funnygeezus
06-02-2002, 11:04 PM
<font color="silver">You're like a bad cold. I simply cannot shake you!

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif</font>

<font color=slate>so I'M the disease in this situation? fuck that.

bittertrance
06-02-2002, 11:04 PM
<font color="silver">I guess, in some sordid way, it does solve the problem...at the expense of anyone who cares about the person. In essense, it creates more problems that it solves.

</font>

what about nevermind? i think that one case it would solve the problem

Oblivious
06-02-2002, 11:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:

what about nevermind? i think that one case it would solve the problem</font>

Irrelevant
06-02-2002, 11:10 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Oblivious:
people can be so selfish.</font>

oh please. they were obviously in pain. let them die if they choose. you're selfish for wanting them to live and be there for YOU even though they're tearing themselves up internally on a daily basis.

slunky_munky
06-02-2002, 11:11 PM
I find the whole "but it's so selfish" argument rediculous.

It basically amounts to "don't kill yourself because I'll be unhappy" or "Put up with your pain for me".

Suicide is a perfectly valid option. It hurts a lot of people but you can't call it selfishness without being selfish yourself.
You can call it a cop out, cowardice, whatever you like, but not without pushing your morals onto another person who at the very worst was only acting out their own freedom.

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:12 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Irrelevant:
oh please. they were obviously in pain. let them die if they choose. you're selfish for wanting them to live and be there for YOU even though they're tearing themselves up internally on a daily basis.</font>

<font color="silver">The good of many outweighs the good of one.

------------------

AIM - RejektedFetus

Matt--
06-02-2002, 11:16 PM
but when you know a person well enough to realize they arent as horrible of a person they're telling themselves they are.
sure you can kill yourself if you're basically ruined for the rest of your life, but because "i have no friends and im a fat ugly bitch" is fucking bullshit.

deal with it, everyone else does.

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Matt--:
...but because "i have no friends and im a fat ugly bitch" is fucking bullshit.

deal with it, everyone else does.</font>

<font color="silver">Well said.

Unless the person is dying from a debilitating disease and has little or no chance of survival, suicide is simply a senseless act of self-indulgence.

------------------

AIM - RejektedFetus

Oblivious
06-02-2002, 11:21 PM
oh please. they were obviously in pain. let them die if they choose. you're selfish for wanting them to live and be there for YOU even though they're tearing themselves up internally on a daily basis.</font>

"oh please" my motherfucking ass. how the fuck could a 16 year old kid know what they want for all of eternity? i'm not saying that the idea is wrong for someone that is in that much pain. i think that we all should be allowed that option as an adult. but not a fucking child okay? both of the people that i metioned were under the age of 18. in my opinion what they did was an act of selfish, childish pride. i understand the hurt and the pain that bring someone to that fucking point - i'm there right now. but offing yourself is something that you can never take back. so if you're going to do it you need to make sure that you have exhausted all other means of existence perhaps.

Irrelevant
06-02-2002, 11:22 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Oblivious:
but offing yourself is something that you can never take back. so if you're going to do it you need to make sure that you have exhausted all other means of existence perhaps.</font>

what's the difference? it's not like they were important. they're only human beings.

slunky_munky
06-02-2002, 11:22 PM
<font color="silver">The good of many outweighs the good of one.
</font>

yum, utilitarianism.

<font color="silver">Well said.
Unless the person is dying from a debilitating disease and has little or no chance of survival, suicide is simply a senseless act of self-indulgence.
</font>

And a personal right. Or do you think your life is owned by the masses except when it is diseased ?

[This message has been edited by slunky_munky (edited 06-02-2002).]

Mark LeDrew
06-02-2002, 11:26 PM
she took 20 pills of xanax (strong pain medication).
</font>

Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication, not a painkiller.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

I hope you know a strong man who can lend you a hand lowering my casket.

Matt--
06-02-2002, 11:27 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mark LeDrew:
Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication, not a painkiller.

</font>

oh

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:29 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by slunky_munky:
And a personal right. Or do you think your life is owned by the masses except when it is diseased ?</font>

<font color="silver">Way to blow the issue out of context. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif

You don't know just how powerful a life is. People who commit suicide can destroy others emotionally, and may drive them to do the same. And that is something no one should support.

It's funny...the message board seems to be overwhelmingly liberal, and one of the core beliefs of liberalism seems to be the good of the many outweighs the good of the one. Yet, most liberals support suicide.

Pretty hypocritical, if you ask me.

------------------

AIM - RejektedFetus

Oblivious
06-02-2002, 11:29 PM
what's the difference? it's not like they were important. they're only human beings.</font>

you're right. you'll never find me defending mankind.

Irrelevant
06-02-2002, 11:38 PM
<font color="silver">It's funny...the message board seems to be overwhelmingly liberal, and one of the core beliefs of liberalism seems to be the good of the many outweighs the good of the one. Yet, most liberals support suicide.

Pretty hypocritical, if you ask me.</font>

suicide eliminates those who place unneccessary weight on society in a lot of cases. or something? idunno.

i'm not a "liberal."

slunky_munky
06-02-2002, 11:38 PM
<font color="silver">Way to blow the issue out of context. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif

You don't know just how powerful a life is. People who commit suicide can destroy others emotionally, and may drive them to do the same. And that is something no one should support.

It's funny...the message board seems to be overwhelmingly liberal, and one of the core beliefs of liberalism seems to be the good of the many outweighs the good of the one. Yet, most liberals support suicide.

Pretty hypocritical, if you ask me.

</font>

Not really. You subscribe to the idea that everybody has their own little pidgeon hole that they climb into every night.

People like you would hold the beleif that I'm a "hypocrit" because on one hand I disagree with the "war" on terrorism (aka being a liberal PC crusader) and on the other I don't believe in decriminalising canabis or I support harsher crimes for criminals.

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:39 PM
<font color="silver">Suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And you can take or leave it
If you choose...

If It Feels Good, Do Me
06-02-2002, 11:41 PM
one of the core beliefs of liberalism seems to be the good of the many outweighs the good of the one.</font>

Uh no...that is not one of the core beliefs of liberalism. But civil liberties is a core belief, and civil liberties means having the right to do with your body as you wish, instead of some authority telling you what you can do with your body.

------------------
http://www.sanfords.net/George_Bush/images/Bush54.gif
Let's Roll!

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:43 PM

Not really. You subscribe to the idea that everybody has their own little pidgeon hole that they climb into every night.

People like you would hold the beleif that I'm a "hypocrit" because on one hand I disagree with the "war" on terrorism (aka being a liberal PC crusader) and on the other I don't believe in decriminalising canabis or I support harsher crimes for criminals.

</font>

<font color="silver">I'm not trying to pidegeonhole anyones beliefs. But there are some issues that you can't straddle, and this is one of them.

------------------

AIM - RejektedFetus

slunky_munky
06-02-2002, 11:43 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by If It Feels Good, Do Me:
having the right to do with your body as you wish.
</font>

Bingo

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:45 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by If It Feels Good, Do Me:
Uh no...that is not one of the core beliefs of liberalism. But civil liberties is a core belief, and civil liberties means having the right to do with your body as you wish, instead of some authority telling you what you can do with your body.

</font>

<font color="silver">Yay...Libertarianism. Let's see how far THAT gets the country.

Irrelevant
06-02-2002, 11:50 PM
<font color="silver">Yay...Libertarianism. Let's see how far THAT gets the country.</font>

that's a good idea.

slunky_munky
06-02-2002, 11:53 PM
<font color="silver">I'm not trying to pidegeonhole </font>

<font color="silver">the message board seems to be overwhelmingly liberal</font>

The pidgeon is well and truely in that hole.

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:55 PM
that's a good idea.</font>

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif Libertarianism is so shortsighted, it's ridiculous. Basically, if it doesn't affect "anyone else", it should be all right. The problem is, people's actions (read: suicide) affect others whether they like it or not. Subscribing to this narrow-minded belief assuming it's right is very foolhardy.

------------------

AIM - RejektedFetus

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:56 PM
The pidgeon is well and truely in that hole.

</font>

<font color="silver">I said the board is "overwhelmingly liberal." I did not say "everyone on this board believes the same way.

Get over it.

Elvis The Fat Years
06-02-2002, 11:57 PM
page el two-o

Cerberus
06-02-2002, 11:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by funnygeezus:
<font color=slate>so I'M the disease in this situation? fuck that.</font>

<font color="silver">You're the one who follows me around bugging me about my damned font color!

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif

MonteLDS
06-03-2002, 12:01 AM
being that i have been depressed to the point of thinkin about suicide, i kind of understand where these people who do try to kill them self or do kill them self are comming from but over all i think...
..they really just do not exist for a while and come back out and play when the evil monster has gone away.
Most wished that they felt loved in a certain way or other previous to them getting to the point of sucide
Phrases i have heard of why people want to kill themself
-I rather be dead then friendless
-When ever i try to change people just keep pushing me down or i fail. i am tired of trying
-their no God their no point in life their no one that loves me
-Have you ever felt that no one loves you

[This message has been edited by MonteLDS (edited 06-03-2002).]

Irrelevant
06-03-2002, 12:06 AM
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif Libertarianism is so shortsighted, it's ridiculous. Basically, if it doesn't affect "anyone else", it should be all right. The problem is, people's actions (read: suicide) affect others whether they like it or not. Subscribing to this narrow-minded belief assuming it's right is very foolhardy.</font>

it is right. logically. it's just that humans don't act logically, for the most part.

slunky_munky
06-03-2002, 12:07 AM
[B] <font color="silver">I said the board is "overwhelmingly liberal." I did not say "everyone on this board believes the same way.
[B]</font>

"Overwhelmingly liberal" means what ? That the majority of people aren't thinking in a similar fashion ? We're talking about a political viewpoint here.

It's like you just said most people here were black and then denied that by saying that everyone's a different shade of black.

frail_and_bedazzled
06-03-2002, 12:12 AM
hmmm. i don't know. i've wanted to kill myself a lot of times, but i have such a guilt complex..i know it would destroy my parents, and i don't want to be responsible for that. maybe once they're dead. who knows. it's kind of a romantic notion, isn't it?

If It Feels Good, Do Me
06-03-2002, 12:20 AM
It's like you just said most people here were black and then denied that by saying that everyone's a different shade of black.</font>

Right on. I think Cerberus knows he just fucked up and he's trying to cover up as best he can.

Cerberus
06-03-2002, 12:22 AM
"Overwhelmingly liberal" means what ? That the majority of people aren't thinking in a similar fashion ? We're talking about a political viewpoint here.

It's like you just said most people here were black and then denied that by saying that everyone's a different shade of black.

</font>

<font color="silver">That's like saying that nobody's beliefs are similar to each other.

What you said makes no sense.

slunky_munky
06-03-2002, 12:31 AM
<font color="silver">What you said makes no sense.</font>

Exactly, I was highlighting the stupidity in your backpeddling.

Cerberus
06-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Exactly, I was highlighting the stupidity in your backpeddling. </font>

<font color="silver">I haven't been backpeddling. You just misinterpreted (deliberately, perhaps) what I was trying to convey.

This argument sucks. I'm done. You win, I guess.

slunky_munky
06-03-2002, 12:47 AM
<font color="silver">I haven't been backpeddling. You just misinterpreted (deliberately, perhaps) what I was trying to convey.

This argument sucks. I'm done. You win, I guess.</font>

submission.

I've only been back here a week and I'm as strong as ever http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Homerpalooza
06-03-2002, 02:44 AM
Anyone who's taken even a basic psychology course knows that suicide is utterly selfish. It's a way to solve all of your problems at the expense of the people who care the most about you. How's that not selfish?

Irrelevant
06-03-2002, 02:49 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Homerpalooza:
Anyone who's taken even a basic psychology course knows that suicide is utterly selfish. It's a way to solve all of your problems at the expense of the people who care the most about you. How's that not selfish?</font>

if they really cared about you, they'd let you end your pain. they're the selfish ones, for demanding that you be alive and be around. i already said that, dipshit.

nevermind
06-03-2002, 03:18 AM
Anyone who's taken even a basic psychology course knows that suicide is utterly selfish. It's a way to solve all of your problems at the expense of the people who care the most about you. How's that not selfish?</font>

and what if nobody cares about them? eh dumbfuck? lol. gee, didnt think of THAT did we!? ignorant fucking morons...hah.

Affectation
06-03-2002, 03:36 AM
so my friend rachel didnt call me today, cause we were supposed to go get a root beer float today.
so i called her boyfriends house(where she usually is) only to realize that he just found that she took 20 pills of xanax (strong pain medication).
and she's convulsing on the bed.

this fucking sucks, its always the people that you don't suspect that try to kill themselves.

well, he took her to the hospital, and hopefully everything turns out ok.
but it still sucks.</font><font color=00ff33>Fuck that bitch. 20 xanax is a pussy way to off yourself. It's very hard to kill yourself with xanax.

NinjaTurtle
06-03-2002, 03:44 AM
i had a friend try to kill himself once. wasnt a pleasant expierience, although he took down like three cops. im proud of him.

Homerpalooza
06-03-2002, 04:24 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by nevermind:

and what if nobody cares about them? eh dumbfuck? lol. gee, didnt think of THAT did we!? ignorant fucking morons...hah.</font>

I'm assuming you're considering suicide yourself?

But you got me, I hadn't counted on the bum who has managed to sever all ties with society. I apologize for the oversight.

Homerpalooza
06-03-2002, 04:34 AM
if they really cared about you, they'd let you end your pain. they're the selfish ones, for demanding that you be alive and be around. i already said that, dipshit.</font>

Letting someone "end their pain" when they're in a delusional, self-loathing, mentally unstable state isn't being a good friend. Nor is it being unselfish. It's just plain being stupid, and it makes you feel EXTREMELY guilty afterwards.

I have a friend who let his best friend kill himself. He ignored all warning signs and just didn't care. Now he's become a complete wreck. Believe me, when you experience something like that firsthand, you'll see it differently.

And yeah, I read what you said before, I was replying to it. Didn't need you to repeat it, dipshit.

Osaka
06-03-2002, 04:42 AM
suicide is stupid.

BlueStar
06-03-2002, 05:19 AM
There is nothing selfish about suicide. The person trying to end his/her life fully believes that no one around him/her cares and that the people who do care are better without him/her.

------------------
~~Samantha~~
AIM: MercuryAdore

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

My Igloo
06-03-2002, 05:42 AM
suicide is caused by:
a) disassociation with society
b) over-reliance on individuality
c) seeking to avoid social responsibility

Nothing more or less!
*NARF*

------------------
awesome mixtape journal (http://www.fabbityfab.net/boyband/mixtape) ...has a javascript & linux usergroup!
brad boyband (http://www.fabbityfab.net/boyband) kix yo azz

17 years of compassion
06-03-2002, 09:00 AM
It basically amounts to "don't kill yourself because I'll be unhappy" or "Put up with your pain for me".
</font>
and what about all the people who do it for selfish reasons?
i know this person who tried to kill themself coz they had pissed every1 off around them and felt it would get people to pay attention to them again!! some of my friends fell for it, and when they got back from the hospital said they were loving the attention!! they could of died just to get back in favour with others!!!
i didnt want them to die but im not going to feel bad for THIER selfish reasons for trying to kill themselves!!

mpp
06-03-2002, 09:02 AM
it is right. logically. it's just that humans don't act logically, for the most part.</font>

the fundamental disparity b/w political theory and practice

Undone
06-03-2002, 10:31 AM
<font color="CC33CC">Somehow, every single one of you who have posted have failed to bring up that suicide is often the result of people that have the "disease" (sometimes I don't agree with it being a disease, but anyway) of depression. Whether it is selfish or not has nothing to do with shit. It's like a cancer rotting your brain out. When I was suicidal (and I know I cannot speak for everyone), I wasn't thinking about myself or anyone else. I was so out of it that death simply seemed like the most reasonable step from where I was at mentally. People who are suicidal often do not have the ability to reason the same way that you people are in this thread.

Undone
06-03-2002, 10:31 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by BlueStar:
There is nothing selfish about suicide. The person trying to end his/her life fully believes that no one around him/her cares and that the people who do care are better without him/her.</font>

<font color="CC33CC">Oh yeah, this too.

Undone
06-03-2002, 10:35 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by 17 years of compassion:
and what about all the people who do it for selfish reasons?</font>

<font color="CC33CC">In these situations, maybe the people seeking attention honestly do need some attention in their lives. They definitely need to start being truthful to themselves and therefore find a way to mature. Some people act macho for attention, some people swallow pills, other become rock stars. *shrug*

NinjaTurtle
06-03-2002, 12:24 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Osaka:
suicide is stupid.</font>

so profound... so deep...
ur incredible

Lunadisarm
06-03-2002, 01:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by BlueStar:
There is nothing selfish about suicide. The person trying to end his/her life fully believes that no one around him/her cares and that the people who do care are better without him/her.

</font>

Yeah, but that's not necessarily correct, logical thinking on the part of the depressed person. Just because I think the sky is orange, doesn't mean it actually is.

slunky_munky
06-03-2002, 09:41 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by 17 years of compassion:
Originally posted by slunky_munky:
</font>
and what about all the people who do it for selfish reasons?
i know this person who tried to kill themself coz they had pissed every1 off around them and felt it would get people to pay attention to them again!! some of my friends fell for it, and when they got back from the hospital said they were loving the attention!! they could of died just to get back in favour with others!!!
i didnt want them to die but im not going to feel bad for THIER selfish reasons for trying to kill themselves!!

Good one. You find ONE example of someone using suicide for selfish ends and expect that to be an argument for "suicide is selfish". Of course there will be some people who do it out of purely selfish means but you can't tar everyone with that brush.

Any argument that says "what about the people you leave behind" is no less selfish than any suicidal motive. Simple as that.

Anti-Moan Gestapo
06-03-2002, 09:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
<font color=00ff33>Fuck that bitch. 20 xanax is a pussy way to off yourself. It's very hard to kill yourself with xanax.

</font>
<font color = "Anti-Moan Gestapo">
But an easy way to cry for help, perhaps?

This, of course, is the root of the problem.

------------------
http://www.phatjoe.com/lameass/icons/panda.gif Darnce, Panda!

melancholia
06-03-2002, 09:55 PM
my dad killed himself when i was 14...

blackdiamond
06-03-2002, 10:40 PM
one of my friends is worrying the shit out of me. they are just not taking care of themself. i dont know what i would do without her though http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

THRILLHO
06-03-2002, 11:59 PM
if they really cared about you, they'd let you end your pain. they're the selfish ones, for demanding that you be alive and be around. i already said that, dipshit.</font>

weak. you have obviously never had a suicidal friend, or a friend that committed suicide.

you can argue your little ideologies and theories, but you wouldn't let a friend or loved one die, so shut up.

Lie
06-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Yeah, it sucks when friends kill themselves. I mean, jeez, especially if they were cool and you were getting cool points by hanging out with them. And, my god, when you actually have a thing for them and are hoping to get laid, that blows, man. Let's all let out a loud BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for friends who kill themselves. Definite thumbs-down, that.

17 years of compassion
06-04-2002, 05:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Undone:
<font color="CC33CC">In these situations, maybe the people seeking attention honestly do need some attention in their lives. They definitely need to start being truthful to themselves and therefore find a way to mature. Some people act macho for attention, some people swallow pills, other become rock stars. *shrug*

</font>

so why is my 'friend' still being so nasty to every1? not all of them are 'ill' with depresion, infact i say that the majority werent 'ill' at all! my 'friend' had a loving family, nice friends and not a care in the world then THEY fucked it all up for themselves by being evil and then want people to talk to them again! so insted of healing old wounds they decide that if they try to comit suicide it will make every1 feel sorry for them. and that my friend is bull shit on a stick about all of them being ill!! yes some people do comit suicide because they are depressed but most dont. all my so called friend managed to do was fuck things up even more for themselves.
this is why i say most people that take their own life do it for selfish reasons. if they ask for help im sure in most cases help would be there for them and you know thats the truth.

beever
06-04-2002, 05:21 PM
page 3

slunky_munky
06-04-2002, 05:24 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
weak. you have obviously never had a suicidal friend, or a friend that committed suicide.

you can argue your little ideologies and theories, but you wouldn't let a friend or loved one die, so shut up.</font>

Friendship clouds moral judgement. The fact is that you would go to more trouble to save a friend than you would a stranger which in itself shows the selfishness of it.

We understand suicide through our own pain. How can anyone appreciate what another person feels ?

17 years of compassion
06-04-2002, 05:25 PM
Good one. You find ONE example of someone using suicide for selfish ends and expect that to be an argument for "suicide is selfish". Of course there will be some people who do it out of purely selfish means but you can't tar everyone with that brush.

Any argument that says "what about the people you leave behind" is no less selfish than any suicidal motive. Simple as that.

</font>
i know a lot of other people who do it, or try to do it coz they think its how to gain support/friends!! 'every1 around me will say how kool i am for trying to kill myself then every1 will love me forever! and all the boies/girls i like will be so much more caring around me!! itll be like a dream come true!!'
tell me you dont know any people who think like that? granted it is the majority of 10 to 25 yr olds but it still is a lot of people?! and what worse out siders then blame it on the music the person lisens to. most of the people i know blame it on the music they listen to! as if all rock fans kill themselves!! but because they have been told thats what happens thats what they do!!

Mirror_Untrue
06-04-2002, 05:46 PM
I work with suicidal people at the place where I volunteer, and as far as I can tell it's an incredibly difficult thing to understand that no one can really judge, because everyones situation and reasons are completely different.

Junebug
06-04-2002, 06:27 PM

I have a friend who let his best friend kill himself. He ignored all warning signs and just didn't care. Now he's become a complete wreck. Believe me, when you experience something like that firsthand, you'll see it differently.

</font>

So this guys best friend basically ignored him when he needed him the most? That was probably one of the reasons why the kid killed himself...not his friend's direct influence, but the feeling of "noone cares about me, I don't care about me...so what's the point?"

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but it seems that those who consider suicide *probably* know (and I mean the word "know", not think or believe, in that they have assured themselves) that noone cares about them, that life is meaningless, and that death is a much better alternative to the hell hole they live in every day of their lives. I'm not saying that you should let someone kill themself without doing everything you can to help, but saying "it's selfish" is not the way to think of it. People (in my opinion) who kill themselves "know" that nobody does care, that their death won't affect anyone in a tremendously negative way, and that everyone/thing will be better off if they were dead. So why should they go through Hell for no reason?

nevermind
06-04-2002, 06:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Junebug:
So this guys best friend basically ignored him when he needed him the most? That was probably one of the reasons why the kid killed himself...not his friend's direct influence, but the feeling of "noone cares about me, I don't care about me...so what's the point?"

I can't speak for everyone obviously, but it seems that those who consider suicide *probably* know (and I mean the word "know", not think or believe, in that they have assured themselves) that noone cares about them, that life is meaningless, and that death is a much better alternative to the hell hole they live in every day of their lives. I'm not saying that you should let someone kill themself without doing everything you can to help, but saying "it's selfish" is not the way to think of it. People (in my opinion) who kill themselves "know" that nobody does care, that their death won't affect anyone in a tremendously negative way, and that everyone/thing will be better off if they were dead. So why should they go through Hell for no reason?

</font>

fucking exactly.

this SHOULD be obvious as hell to anyone thats not a complete fucking imbecile. but as you can tell not only here, but in reality, people are purely selfish and full of shit. oh well though. those are the ones that get brought down by the tiniest petty bullshit in life, and its fucking hilarious when it happenes. stupid motherfuckers. heh.

slunky_munky
06-04-2002, 08:20 PM
I guess we've established that there are two types of suicide: successful and unsuccessful.

I'm sure that many of those that failed actually planned to fail so they could enjoy the results.

As for those that succeded in death we can't assume anything about their motives other than that they got what they wanted.

Mayfuck
06-04-2002, 08:26 PM

</font>

Kudos.

what was it anyway?
06-04-2002, 08:29 PM
all the people that consider all suicide to be selfish seriously need to get down from their moral high horses and go fuck themselves.

Undone
06-04-2002, 10:08 PM

</font>

<font color="CC33CC">Just joining the club of people giving this post a thumbs up.

Homerpalooza
06-05-2002, 05:44 AM
So this guys best friend basically ignored him when he needed him the most? That was probably one of the reasons why the kid killed himself...not his friend's direct influence, but the feeling of "noone cares about me, I don't care about me...so what's the point?" </font>

I'd hold off on speculating why he killed himself. You don't know him, neither do I really, so neither of us know his real cause. So, I wouldn't be so presumptuous.

</font>

I agree with most of what you say, it was well stated. I guess what we disagree with is whether the person is so delusional that he thinks no one will miss him, or whether he knows that others will miss him and goes through with it anyway. We've both made sweeping assumptions regarding those considering suicide. I guess it makes more sense to see it as a case-by-case basis.

But honestly, I think those who consider suicide at least have an inkling that he'll be missed by others, yet considers his living Hell so bad that it doesn't matter. And that's what pisses me off. People who think that because times are tough at the moment, the rest of their life is completely not worth living. Short-sightedness is such bullshit.