View Full Version : Does everyone here like Smashing Pumpkins?

mpp
05-24-2002, 06:38 PM
just wanting to know

i like them

Vacancy
05-24-2002, 06:38 PM
not like i used to.

Mayfuck
05-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Hm.

They're STILL my favorite band.

I go on phases where I listen to nothing but SP for a few weeks...then I go months without listening to SP at all.

That being said...time to bust out Gish.

twilightfadez
05-24-2002, 06:39 PM
i still adore them (they are and most likely will be my favorite band ever)
but the whole machina mystery thing threw me off a bit
now gatmog, im doubtful of that, cos i know its gonna get so much crap from the public, i guess i'll wait and see for myself

------------------
Vintage Bleed (http://www.mp3.com/vintage_bleed)

[This message has been edited by twilightfadez (edited 05-24-2002).]

Graveflower
05-24-2002, 06:41 PM
Favorite band of all time.

Disarmed
05-24-2002, 06:48 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Hm.

I go on phases where I listen to nothing but SP for a few weeks...then I go months without listening to SP at all.
</font>

that's exactly how i am too...and every time i pop in a pumpkin cd after ignoring them forever, i always-without-fail remember why it is that i love them so much. *bliss*

Ammy
05-24-2002, 07:00 PM
not as much as i used to.
i don't listen to music much at all anymore really.. i rmeember when it used to be my life and i used to think "how can anyone live without music!?"

Graveflower
05-24-2002, 07:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Disarmed:
time i pop in a pumpkin cd after ignoring them forever, i always-without-fail remember why it is that i love them so much. *bliss*

</font>

Me too. Except for Machina.

And I even like Machina. :\

Actually, I still listen to Siamese Dream pretty regularly.

twilightfadez
05-24-2002, 07:08 PM
i seriuosly wish i couldve been around for the gish era and seen them live (or i wouldve settled being in d'arcy's place! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif )
i was far too young to realize what wonderful events were going on.... http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif
well i was about 11 but i was oblivious to sp at the time

------------------
Vintage Bleed (http://www.mp3.com/vintage_bleed)

GlassDreams
05-24-2002, 07:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
Actually, I still listen to Siamese Dream pretty regularly.</font>

But isn't this record too not-indie for you?

ZERO
05-24-2002, 07:13 PM
not at all.

Graveflower
05-24-2002, 07:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by GlassDreams:
But isn't this record too not-indie for you?</font>

What the fuck are you talking about?

Mayfuck
05-24-2002, 07:34 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by twilightfadez:
i seriuosly wish i couldve been around for the gish era and seen them live (or i wouldve settled being in d'arcy's place! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif )
i was far too young to realize what wonderful events were going on.... http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif
well i was about 11 but i was oblivious to sp at the time

</font>

Gish banter rules.

GlassDreams
05-24-2002, 07:39 PM
What the fuck are you talking about?</font>

Just giving you shit.

melancholia
05-24-2002, 08:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
Hm.

That being said...time to bust out Gish.</font>

I've been on a PI kick. They've been my favorite band for such a long time that whenever someone asks what I'm into, "Smashing Pumpkins" is the first thing out of my mouth...and I always keep at least one album in my car. It's just wrong not to. They're always going to be my favorite band...at least I think they will.

THRILLHO
05-24-2002, 08:50 PM
i like them a lot. i've listened them out though. their music is almost purely nostalgic to me now... it's all in the past.

kypper
05-24-2002, 09:43 PM
I only got into them a few years ago... so I'm happily enjoying the newness.

Lie
05-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Last year I thought their music was starting to become purely nostalgic for me, but Siamese Dream is just sounding too good again.

mpp
05-24-2002, 10:30 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:
Last year I thought their music was starting to become purely nostalgic for me, but Siamese Dream is just sounding too good again. </font>

adore for me

kypper
05-24-2002, 10:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:
adore for me</font>

The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete is such an awesome song

lucky_13
05-24-2002, 10:49 PM
i've grown out of them. the last time i actually listened to one of their songs was when i saw them at storytellers.

Mark LeDrew
05-24-2002, 11:05 PM
TSP FOREVA!!!

I'm not even kidding.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

I hope you know a strong man who can lend you a hand lowering my casket.

Massive Attack
05-24-2002, 11:11 PM
don't like them
never have
;-D
love you

Salena Child
05-24-2002, 11:38 PM
i still am in love with them even though i don't listen to them as often as i use to. i am trying to become more open minded to other artists and make my music collection more vast with lots of different types of music.

------------------
"i've heard of unisex, but i've never had it."-monty python.

FearFactory
05-25-2002, 12:07 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Salena Child:
i still am in love with them even though i don't listen to them as often as i use to. i am trying to become more open minded to other artists and make my music collection more vast with lots of different types of music.

</font>

<font color="orange">No offense to you, but I hate when people get on my balls about "expanding my musical horizons", when "expanding" to me includes different types of met@l, and not getting into some pop crap.

Lie
05-25-2002, 03:25 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by mpp:
adore for me</font>

Adore is actually my nostalgic album. It makes me think of a specific time period. I still love it, though.

The Sacred and Profane
05-25-2002, 04:07 AM
<font color=00ccff>I go in and out of phases. But when I do listen to them, it's that nostalgic feeling that everyone is talking about.

One thing is though, listening to them introduced to this limitless scape of new bands.

bittertrance
05-25-2002, 04:18 AM
zwan isnt helping much

i like them still but i am more excited about newer things at the moment

im not gonna turn into one of those 40-50 years olds who still think music that came out in their youth is better than naything else ever

mpp
05-25-2002, 11:15 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by kypper:
The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete is such an awesome song</font>

adore as a whole is a great album to have sex to

the guitar in "for martha" is great climax material

but i'm sure you already know that; if you don't, ask my ex-girlfriend

john

Red Wine Cage
05-25-2002, 02:43 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by lucky_13:
i've grown out of them. the last time i actually listened to one of their songs was when i saw them at storytellers. </font>
i'm not so sure that not listening to them anymore means you've "grown out of" anything...I believe one can have appreciation for the music that SP made and listen to them regularly without having "not grown" up...i dunno, i'm not attacking you, but whenever anyone says they've grown out of something, it seems condescending, that one who still listens to them hasn't grown up.

SP will always be my favorite band, they set the standard, to me, of great rock bands.

BlueStar
05-25-2002, 03:08 PM
Favorite band of all time.</font>

------------------
~~Samantha~~
AIM: MercuryAdore

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

lucky_13
05-25-2002, 03:48 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Red Wine Cage:

i'm not so sure that not listening to them anymore means you've "grown out of" anything...I believe one can have appreciation for the music that SP made and listen to them regularly without having "not grown" up...i dunno, i'm not attacking you, but whenever anyone says they've grown out of something, it seems condescending, that one who still listens to them hasn't grown up.</font>
i'm just not full of angst anymore.

billy's lyrics seem silly and melodramatic to me now.

KrazeePumpkin
05-25-2002, 05:27 PM
What's a Smashing Pumpkins?

relaxor!
05-25-2002, 05:46 PM
they're still my favorite band, but I listen to them very little. I don't know, they're still great, but it has dawned on me recently, when listening to MCIS that Billy is ridiculously self-involved and melodramatic. pretty pathetic that I've liked them for seven years and I can only admit it now
oh well, like many of you said, when I put one of their CD's on now I realize why I liked them so much. especially PI, when I put it on, and Soothe comes on, I just feel really, humbled I guess. like my worries matter less than I realize and I just sit back and get taken away. I think PI is my favorite CD. by them; by any band

------------------
http://www.studentxpress.ie/features/lusitania.jpg
Lusitania

Nick K
05-25-2002, 06:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
i like them a lot. i've listened them out though. their music is almost purely nostalgic to me now... it's all in the past.</font>

exactly

leaf
05-25-2002, 07:27 PM
Best band in the world.

beever
05-25-2002, 07:59 PM
I like The Smashing Pumpkins. The front figure Billy Corgan is my favorite musical artist. I really like the music that he has created during his time with The Smashing Pumpkins, therefor my answer to your question is: YES I LIKE IT A LOT!

dishpan
05-25-2002, 08:45 PM

SP will always be my favorite band, they set the standard, to me, of great rock bands.

</font>

------------------
-----
YOU ARE NOT YOUR FUCKING POST COUNT
http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/

ecate
05-25-2002, 09:56 PM
pumpkins still are my favourite band but i admit that years ago i liked them a bit more.. maybe this is what people call *growing up*.. =/

------------------
** I Don't need
no Heaven or Hell
but it's alright
as long as you're
in my Heart **

Eulogy
05-25-2002, 10:01 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by lucky_13:

i'm just not full of angst anymore.

billy's lyrics seem silly and melodramatic to me now. </font>

Since when did you have to be full of angst to like the Pumpkins? Was that all you ever got out of the music?

And sure, some of Billy's lyrics suck, but I just look past that. Pretty much every band I listen to has more than their share of awful lyrics.

The Gaddrow
05-25-2002, 10:09 PM
SP will always be my favorite band, they set the standard, to me, of great rock bands.</font> Well said, sir.

Shandi
05-26-2002, 10:54 PM
Yes.

Kilgore Trout
05-26-2002, 11:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by melancholia:
They've been my favorite band for such a long time that whenever someone asks what I'm into, "Smashing Pumpkins" is the first thing out of my mouth...and I always keep at least one album in my car. It's just wrong not to. They're always going to be my favorite band</font>

<3, that's how I feel. I mean I don't listen to them religiously like I use too but like most people as soon as I hear a song a flood of memories and emotions come rushing back. *sigh*

------------------
http://www.followmearound.com/images/artwork/oxygen.gif
Wait, if what you are saying is true...then I still don't care. - Dave Nelson

AIM: pugbugg

Krafty
05-26-2002, 11:55 PM
yes.

Mr. Rhinoceros
05-27-2002, 05:18 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Thanks to Machina and Zwan, I've come to the horrible conclusion that Billy Corgan isn't actually that talented at all. I've really grown away from the Pumpkins.

The fact that Thom Yorke kicks Bolly's fucking ass is just the clincher.

------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

scouse_dave
05-27-2002, 09:16 AM
i like them....much in the same way that i 'like' about 100 other bands

i even bought one of their cds the other day!!!!

bonsor
05-27-2002, 10:02 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
<font color=#007AAA>Thanks to Machina and Zwan, I've come to the horrible conclusion that Billy Corgan isn't actually that talented at all. I've really grown away from the Pumpkins.

The fact that Thom Yorke kicks Bolly's fucking ass is just the clincher.

</font>
<font color="cf3f3f">hahahaha

I habitually say "Smashing Pumpkins" whenever someone asks what kind of music I like. I don't listen to them as much as I used to anymore and I've kinda lost my interest, but they'll never be forgotten.

I've moved on, as I think I should have.

pink_ribbon_scars
05-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Yes.

I still love the Smashing Pumpkins when I put their music on, but I am in no way obsessed like I was for years. I guess I was sincerely fixated on them from age 14 to 20, but for the past 2 years I haven't really cared much. But I still love the music even if i don't listen to it all the time.

NinjaTurtle
05-27-2002, 02:38 PM
i would go as far as to say i LOATHE the smashing pumkins.

------------------
'~..~CloSe this wOrld ~ tXen eht nEpO~..~'

TheHappiestBoyInTheWorld
05-27-2002, 02:56 PM
Yes, I still like the Pumpkins, but not like I used to. They were the first band I ever really liked, and in that sense there's a lot of nostalgia and wistful rememberances associated with listening to them. It's like a first true love, you know? I still hold a lot of affection for them, but I've moved on. I still keep all my Smashing Pumpkins discs in my CD books, and now and then I'll dust one off and throw it in for a spin. And, man--that's when I really remember why I'm into music at all.

Aeroplane
05-27-2002, 06:04 PM
yes and still listen

undivinemartyr
05-29-2002, 03:50 AM
My best friend used to be obsessed with SP. The only reason I listen to them is because I think of her.

nevermind
05-29-2002, 03:59 AM
apparently netphorias definition of "growing up" is rather "becoming even MORE of an ignorant fucking moron with no taste whatsoever in trully genious music all while maintaining the 'moving on' image. damn i rule"

pussies...all of you..

Fathoms (unadored)
05-29-2002, 04:02 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by nevermind:
apparently netphorias definition of "growing up" is rather "becoming even MORE of an ignorant fucking moron with no taste whatsoever in trully genious music all while maintaining the 'moving on' image. damn i rule"

pussies...all of you..</font>

Growing up is just another term for becoming jaded. It's like there is a limit to how much your allowed to enjoy things over the course of your lifetime and you pretty much empty the tank playing Nintendo and listening to Ace of Base as a youngster.

------------------
http://www.astralsociety.org/asforum/YaBBImages/avatars/mononoke-1.gif

nevermind
05-29-2002, 04:04 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored):
Growing up is just another term for becoming jaded. It's like there is a limit to how much your allowed to enjoy things over the course of your lifetime and you pretty much empty the tank playing Nintendo and listening to Ace of Base as a youngster.

</font>

exactly. people are fucking idiots. look at em, trying to look older and better. lol. pure fucking stupidity.

Smiley33
05-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Yes. And I go through Pumpkins' phases where I fall in love with an album all over again. I admit, though, that much of it is nostalgia. Siamese Dream and Gish will always be my hallowed albums. Mellon Collie is pure, beautiful kick in the ass nostalgia. Adore is nostalgia and a bit more, and Machina is currently in limbo.

The Pumpkins are still my band.

what was it anyway?
05-29-2002, 04:33 AM
i still love most pre-Adore stuff, and I still listen to the post-MCIS stuff. Although I listen to Adore much more than the Machina stuff.

obscured01
05-29-2002, 09:56 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley33:
The Pumpkins are still my band.</font>

<font color="FB7BF6">

------------------
~*Sarah Kimberly*~

...and the tragic and
romantic (http://members.door.net/skylab) ascent...

AIM: Gazing Iscariot

WiIl
05-29-2002, 12:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Shandi:
Yes.</font>

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Krafty:
yes.</font>

I think netphoria must attract a certain type of female..

"yes. i am replying to this post. I contribute the bare minimum possible because i'm sure people must care.."

I salute you. thank you for bothering.

june33
05-29-2002, 01:06 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley33:
Yes. And I go through Pumpkins' phases where I fall in love with an album all over again. I admit, though, that much of it is nostalgia. Siamese Dream and Gish will always be my hallowed albums. Mellon Collie is pure, beautiful kick in the ass nostalgia. Adore is nostalgia and a bit more, and Machina is currently in limbo.

The Pumpkins are still my band.</font>

Yes! This is exactly what happens to me. Sometimes I just have to remind myself to listen to an album I haven't picked up in a long time and I will fall in love with it all over again.

Undone
05-29-2002, 02:03 PM
i'm not so sure that not listening to them anymore means you've "grown out of" anything...I believe one can have appreciation for the music that SP made and listen to them regularly without having "not grown" up...i dunno, i'm not attacking you, but whenever anyone says they've grown out of something, it seems condescending, that one who still listens to them hasn't grown up.
</font>

<font color="CC33CC">Exactly. The only thing I've "grown out of" is the teenage obsessive type thing, which is fun enough to relive once in a while with other SP fans. It's difficult to find others who haven't "grown up" and stopped listening to them altogether. I don't see what's so immature about them at all. Like someone else said, all bands have their share of retarded lyrics-- SP was never about perfection. I listen to much more music now b/c SP kindled the love of music in me. I don't think I could abandon them as they've certainly shaped the way I *have* grown up.

~Rhonda

------------------
Booty callin--
AIM: Sickly Heroic Me

Undone
05-29-2002, 02:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored):
</font>

<font color="CC33CC">I just wanted to let everyone know that Ace of Base is fuckin groovy.

Ria
05-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Yes I still like then and still listen to them, but I do miss them very much. Their the one band I really got into. of course i've liked other bands but, not like the smashing pumpkins.

Red Wine Cage
05-29-2002, 05:31 PM
to extend on what i said earlier, there will never be a band that helped me through my teen years, that i read every article about and downloaded every picture, that i memorized every lyric [on accident], that i mercilessly ranted about, that i bought everything i could by...and for that, the smashing pumpkins are priceless.

Krafty
05-30-2002, 12:28 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by WiIl:
I think netphoria must attract a certain type of female..

"yes. i am replying to this post. I contribute the bare minimum possible because i'm sure people must care.."

I salute you. thank you for bothering.</font>
I win. I contributed less cuz I didn't capitalize my yes. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

Mr. Rhinoceros
05-30-2002, 02:00 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by nevermind:
trully genious </font>

<font color=#007AAA>Apparently "growing up" also means learning how to spell.

------------------
Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.