View Full Version : the mac vs. pc argument

Ihaman
04-30-2002, 11:38 PM
why must the programmers always have this huge "i <3 open source, so macos is sooo much better"

but i swear, this argument goes nowhere fast

Delta
04-30-2002, 11:52 PM
thats not a mac vs. pc argument, thats an open vs. closed source argument. pc's can be open source too

Mark LeDrew
05-01-2002, 12:04 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Delta:
thats not a mac vs. pc argument, thats an open vs. closed source argument. pc's can be open source too

</font>

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

This is just a modern rock song,
This is just a sorry lament,
We're four boys in our corduroys,
We're not terrific but we're competent.

PhantomFM
05-01-2002, 12:54 AM
hello, linux?

frail_and_bedazzled
05-01-2002, 12:57 AM
macs are so cute and easy to understand

but i'd settle for a commodore over what i have now, which is, you know, nothing.

Smack Me In My Mouth
05-01-2002, 04:26 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
macs are so cute and easy to understand</font>

Do you drive a Jetta, by any chance?

Best Looking Boy
05-01-2002, 04:33 AM
I'm sure she'd like one.

Fattening Ass
05-01-2002, 04:38 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smack Me In My Mouth:
Do you drive a Jetta, by any chance?</font>

I <3 U.

Mayonaise
05-01-2002, 06:01 AM
I'm a Mac girl! But if i was into gaming i'd go with a PC but generally i just love my apples mmmMMMMMMMMmmmm http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif and that's not just cos of their good looks

obscured01
05-01-2002, 08:41 AM
I was about to say... I don't know any programmers, (minus a web designer at work, and my boyfriend who is awesome with macs, but doesn't prefer them) who will even touch apple computers.

Like someone said earlier, most programmers I know seem to prefer Linux.

------------------
~*Sarah Kimberly*~

...and the tragic and
romantic (http://members.door.net/skylab) ascent...

AIM: Gazing Iscariot

PkPhuoko
05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
open source has nothing to do with pc mac (as already said)

but macs are far more powerfull. Anyone doing professional audio or video uses a g4 as it dwarfs the PC

meow
05-01-2002, 11:37 AM
I prefer Big Macs Over Process Chicken

NegaBenji
05-01-2002, 11:56 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by PkPhuoko:
open source has nothing to do with pc mac (as already said)

but macs are far more powerfull. Anyone doing professional audio or video uses a g4 as it dwarfs the PC</font>

That's crap. By definition PCs are kit machines, and no two are alike. Obviously this is what causes compatibility problems, but if you know what you're doing you can create a monster machine, without having to wait for Apple to get around to it for you. The only reason they are used so much professionally is because of the software which has become standard. And I think it's the print industry which uses them the most

PkPhuoko
05-01-2002, 01:11 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by NegaBenji:
That's crap. By definition PCs are kit machines, and no two are alike. Obviously this is what causes compatibility problems, but if you know what you're doing you can create a monster machine, without having to wait for Apple to get around to it for you. The only reason they are used so much professionally is because of the software which has become standard. And I think it's the print industry which uses them the most</font>

PC's and Mac's process information wayyyyyy differently.... monster machine or not no PC will run Cubase, Reason, Reaktor, Pro-tools, Wave Lab, Rebirth, or Logic as smooth as a G4. a 600mhz mac can out perform a 1.5 Ghz PC plain and simple..... and the newer G4's getting up and over the 1ghz level dwarf the performance of a pc.

If you wanna compare souped up computers I got to play on a g4 with dual 1ghz processors, 1 gig of ram, and a 100gig hardrive..... it dwarfed anything any PC could possibly think about doing short of having 2 complete towers.

in the end production, audio, video mac > PC

PhantomFM
05-01-2002, 01:18 PM
it dwarfed anything any PC could possibly think about doing short of having 2 complete towers.</font>

i can't even imagine what 2 complete souped up macs could do. but as far as advanced but general use goes, i'll always take a pc, but that's really more of a windows thing than a pc thing. multitasking on a mac is annoying, and though they crash less, its more abnoxious when a mac locks up

kypper
05-01-2002, 01:26 PM
PC's and Mac's process information wayyyyyy differently.... monster machine or not no PC will run Cubase, Reason, Reaktor, Pro-tools, Wave Lab, Rebirth, or Logic as smooth as a G4. a 600mhz mac can out perform a 1.5 Ghz PC plain and simple..... and the newer G4's getting up and over the 1ghz level dwarf the performance of a pc.

If you wanna compare souped up computers I got to play on a g4 with dual 1ghz processors, 1 gig of ram, and a 100gig hardrive..... it dwarfed anything any PC could possibly think about doing short of having 2 complete towers.

in the end production, audio, video mac > PC</font>

Yeah, but nobody programs for them, and they're flashy little pieces of crap that appeal to tree huggers and Sierra members. I hate companies that rely upon a cutesy exterior to sell a product; it makes me think the product is shit. Look at windows XP.

The only good thing about Macs, imho, is Darwin and the BSD kernel. I love Berkley Systems Distribution. Go daemon.

sickbadthing
05-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Once again, everyone's stupidity is astounding.

It's not about Mac VS. PC, and it's not about Open VS. Closed source, it's about...

ABACUS VS. CALCULATOR.

Abacus wins you shit eating retards. Now shut the fuck up and whine about homework or whatever the fuck you people do.

Smiley33
05-01-2002, 02:15 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by kypper:
imho</font>

klfjaklsdjfsjdf alsdk;fj

PkPhuoko
05-01-2002, 02:37 PM
yeah i'll give you the general use thing. The PC is designed to do normal crap... checking email, playing games, watching pron, etc.

But in the sense of doing a general use ie audio, video, etc its the poopy. The new G4's with dual processors are designed to be more "pc" but few people using the power of a mac care about whacking off to goatse.

frail_and_bedazzled
05-01-2002, 03:29 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smack Me In My Mouth:
Do you drive a Jetta, by any chance?</font>

man, i wish!

NegaBenji
05-01-2002, 04:03 PM
yeah i'll give you the general use thing. The PC is designed to do normal crap... checking email, playing games, watching pron, etc.

But in the sense of doing a general use ie audio, video, etc its the poopy. The new G4's with dual processors are designed to be more "pc" but few people using the power of a mac care about whacking off to goatse.</font>

Do you work for them or something? Some recording studios still use Atari STs running Cubase, and some graphics studios still use Amiga towers with Video Toaster setups - go 8MHz machines!

Ihaman
05-01-2002, 04:47 PM
*sigh* this is exactly what i dont like doing.

when messing with high res imaging (yes, i do it on both platforms VERY often) i honestly dont see the speed difference in a newer imac than i do my computer at home(512megs of RAM + 1.4ghz AMD processor)

i *do* admit, however...when it comes to the g4s, nothing will defeat those...photoshop is a dream come true on those machines.

BUT DAMMIT! I HATE THIS ARGUMENT!

sickbadthing
05-01-2002, 04:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ihaman:

BUT DAMMIT! I HATE THIS ARGUMENT!</font>

Then why did you start this thread you filthy pigfucker? You knew it was going to turn in to this.

[This message has been edited by sickbadthing (edited 05-01-2002).]

Ihaman
05-01-2002, 04:58 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sickbadthing:
Then why did you start this thread you filthy pigfucker? You knew it was going to turn in to this.

[This message has been edited by sickbadthing (edited 05-01-2002).]</font>

well in case you have no sense of perception, you would have noticed i had a http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif thing next to "the mac vs. pc argument" topic title.
you would have also noticed that my final sentence in the topic was "THIS ARGUMENT GOES NOWHERE FAST" THUS! implying that i hate this argument.

you kids could all make your arguments, i wont read it, i certainly wont take interest in it, but oh well..y'know.

NegaBenji
05-01-2002, 05:10 PM
*sigh* this is exactly what i dont like doing.

when messing with high res imaging (yes, i do it on both platforms VERY often) i honestly dont see the speed difference in a newer imac than i do my computer at home(512megs of RAM + 1.4ghz AMD processor)

i *do* admit, however...when it comes to the g4s, nothing will defeat those...photoshop is a dream come true on those machines.

BUT DAMMIT! I HATE THIS ARGUMENT!</font>

You should have bought a P4 if it's for photoshop

sickbadthing
05-01-2002, 05:12 PM
well in case you have no sense of perception, you would have noticed i had a http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon13.gif thing next to "the mac vs. pc argument" topic title.
you would have also noticed that my final sentence in the topic was "THIS ARGUMENT GOES NOWHERE FAST" THUS! implying that i hate this argument.

you kids could all make your arguments, i wont read it, i certainly wont take interest in it, but oh well..y'know.

</font>

You're just mad because I called you a filthy pigfucker.

Ihaman
05-01-2002, 05:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sickbadthing:
You're just mad because I called you a filthy pigfucker.

</font>

its true

sawdust restaurants
05-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Somebody mentioned something about how Macs are used in print media, and that's completely true. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single major publication in America that still uses PC's for more than 5% of what they have to do.

Just my two cents.

Fonzie
05-01-2002, 07:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
Somebody mentioned something about how Macs are used in print media, and that's completely true. I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single major publication in America that still uses PC's for more than 5% of what they have to do.

Just my two cents.</font>

Possimly tr00, but how many people use a mac who aren't working for media places?

One thig I noticed - Macs turn up heaps more in telly show than pc's because they're "cute".

Mac's are pc's for people who don't use PC's.

Hyperbole
05-01-2002, 07:50 PM
PCs are currently getting up there with Macs in audio/video/image editing, but Macs had the technology first, which leads me to believe as soon as PCs are fully caught up, Macs will do something bigger and better.

but maybe i'm just biased.

Crippler
05-02-2002, 08:29 AM
<font color="aquamarine">Apple shouldn't have patented all of what makes them tick. That's why they'll never truly be better than PCs.

The key word: COMPATIBILITY.

It's true, it's true.