View Full Version : post a few of your favorite quotes

ravenguy2000
04-21-2002, 10:09 PM
I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year, after the show I went to a Waffle House, I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me, "Tch tch tch tch. Hey, what you readin' for?" Is that like the weirdest fucking question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading for. Well, godammit, you stumped me. Why do I read? Well... hmmm... I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one, is so I don't end up, being a fucking waffle waitress. - Bill Hicks

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield it. - Oscar Wilde

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink. - WC Fields

Graveflower
04-21-2002, 10:11 PM
"I hate the fuckin Eagles, man" - The Dude

pale_princess
04-21-2002, 10:11 PM
your dirty pillows are showing!

breasts, momma. they're called breasts. and every woman has them.

Nick K
04-21-2002, 10:12 PM
"Oh, isn't life a terrible thing, thank God?" - Dylan Thomas

"Progress is a comfortable disease." - ee cummings

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror." - Oscar Wilde

those are just the ones i have on my wall behind the computer. my apartment is full of a bunch of them, all over the place, all over the walls. an odd way of decorating, i know.

Graveflower
04-21-2002, 10:14 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
your dirty pillows are showing!

breasts, momma. they're called breasts. and every woman has them.</font>

They're all gonna laugh at you!

Smiley33
04-21-2002, 10:17 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nick K:

"Progress is a comfortable disease." - ee cummings

</font>

you bitch, you took one of mine!

killtheyouth
04-21-2002, 10:20 PM
"I'm a monopolar depressive from a family of monopolar depressives. That's how come I write so damn good." - Kurt Vonnegut

Nick K
04-21-2002, 10:21 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley33:

you bitch, you took one of mine!</font>

i took it from the "Generation Terrorists" liner notes actually *blush*

killtheyouth
04-21-2002, 10:25 PM
more Vonnegut quotes

"If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts."

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country."

"A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

"What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured."

killtheyouth
04-21-2002, 10:26 PM
and one more. good ol' Kurt

"Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone."

killtheyouth
04-21-2002, 10:31 PM
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry..." - Albert Einstein

"Cynic: a blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be." - Ambrose Bierce

jenniferkate
04-21-2002, 10:31 PM
your face, my thane, is as a book where men
may read strange matters. to beguile the time,
look like the time; bear welcome in your eye,
your hand, your tongue: look like the innocent flower,*****************
but be the serpent under't.

from macbeth

tick
04-21-2002, 10:34 PM
------------------
I wrote the script and directed it... My name is Orson Welles. This is a Mercury Production.

ravenguy2000
04-21-2002, 10:36 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by killtheyouth:

"If you really want to hurt your parents and you don't have nerve enough to be homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts."

</font>

One of my all time favorites. Especially for me considering I did both.

killtheyouth
04-21-2002, 10:41 PM
Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes. a wise man.
"Art is dead."

"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the
slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway."

"It must be awful to be a girl. I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that men
are bigger, stronger and better at abstract thought than women.
Really, if you are a girl, what would make you go on living?"

"The dame was hysterical. Dames Usually are."
- Calvin as Tracer Bullet

"If you care, you just get disappointed all the time. If you don't care
nothing matters so you are never upset."

"Life is full of surprises but never when you need one."

"I'm killing time while I wait for life to shower me with meaning and
happiness."

jenniferkate
04-21-2002, 10:42 PM
"In your opinion," he asked, "what is it about?"
"Love," she said, promptly, for she had given it some thought. "People loving people who love somebody else."
He explained she was mistaken. Mostly it had to do with Time. "Think of it this way," he urged, "we are all mourners following a funeral procession and some of us, those of us more directly concerned with the departed, have dropped behind to tie a shoelace. Contact with the beloved has only been temporarily interrupted. The dead are still there,as are those we think we love, just round the corner... waiting to be caught up with."

Beryl Bainbridge

04-21-2002, 10:42 PM
"News is what someone wants to suppress.
Everything else is advertising." -former NBC news prez Rubin Frank

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry,
the philosophy which does not laugh,
and the greatness which does not bow before children." -Kahlil Gibran

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have a right and a desire to know; but besides this, they have a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible, divine right to know that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge, I mean of the characters and conduct of their rulers." -John Adams

these are just priceless:
"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

"We'll let our friends be the peacekeepers and the great country called America will be the pacemakers."

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it."

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

jenniferkate
04-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Fiction does not teach, it is not didactic. Fiction dramatizes you from within, the visual culture pacifies you from without. The principle of reading is the closest to the principle of having one's imagination revitalized. And that is life.

Jerzy Kozinski

Lie
04-21-2002, 10:53 PM
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

-JTHM

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

Gumby
04-21-2002, 10:59 PM
GO GRAPE FRUIT!!!!!

jenniferkate
04-21-2002, 11:15 PM
I sensed in myself a potentiality for corruption that took my breath away.

Angela Carter

failure
04-21-2002, 11:16 PM
"all art is quite useless"
-mr. oscar wilde

jenniferkate
04-21-2002, 11:32 PM
You're all flops. I am the Earth Mother, and you are all flops. I disgust me. You know, there's only been one man in my whole life who's ever made me happy. Do you know that?...George, my husband...George, who is out somewhere there in the dark, who is good to me - whom I revile, who can keep learning the games we play as quickly as I can change them. Who can make me happy and I do not wish to be happy. Yes, I do wish to be happy. George and Martha: Sad, sad, sad...Whom I will not forgive for having come to rest; for having seen me and having said: yes, this will do; who has made the hideous, the hurting, the insulting mistake of loving me and must be punished for it. George and Martha: Sad, sad, sad...Some day, hah! Some night, some stupid, liquor-ridden night, I will go too far and I'll either break the man's back or I'll push him off for good which is what I deserve.

Edward Albee

04-21-2002, 11:51 PM
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
--Thomas Pynchon

more from pynchon
You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.

The innocence of the creatures is in inverse proportion to the immorality of the Master.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

You hide, they seek.

Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.

There was no difference between the behavior of a god and the operations of pure chance.

"Personal density," Kurt Mondaugen in his Peenemünde office not too many steps away from here, enunciating the Law which will one day bear his name, "is directly proportional to temporal bandwidth."
"Temporal bandwidth," is the width of your present, your now. It is the familiar "[delta-] t" considered as a dependent variable. The more you dwell in the past and in the future, the thicker your bandwidth, the more solid your persona. But the narrower your sense of Now, the more tenuous you are.

------------------
http://downwardsign.homestead.com/files/13sig.gif

scouse_dave
04-22-2002, 12:22 AM
"the more i see of man, the more i prefer my dog" - Blaise Pascal

"life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - john lennon

"to lose one parent is unfortunate, to lose two seems like carelessness" - oscar wilde

"there's only one crime worse than robbing a bank and that's opening one" - mark twain

"if i wanted to listen to a machine, i'd put my clothes in one" - prince (with reference to electronic music)

relaxor!
04-22-2002, 12:38 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by killtheyouth:
Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes. a wise man.
"Art is dead."

"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the
slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway."

"It must be awful to be a girl. I'm sure it's frustrating knowing that men
are bigger, stronger and better at abstract thought than women.
Really, if you are a girl, what would make you go on living?"

"The dame was hysterical. Dames Usually are."
- Calvin as Tracer Bullet

"If you care, you just get disappointed all the time. If you don't care
nothing matters so you are never upset."

"Life is full of surprises but never when you need one."

"I'm killing time while I wait for life to shower me with meaning and
happiness."

</font>

yay!
good call!

anyways;

But when I tell him he hates flatterers, he says he does, being then most flattered
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

This morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas
Groucho Marx

Maybe our world is just another planet's hell
I forget

And there never a world except the one she sang, and singing made
Unknown

Stupid&Contagious
04-22-2002, 12:50 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Gumby:
GO GRAPE FRUIT!!!!!</font>

GO BANANNA!!!!!

Liquid-J
04-22-2002, 12:53 AM
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever"
-----Anonymous

meow
04-22-2002, 12:56 AM
"I am so smart! S M R T"

"look away jerry, I'm hideous!"

"You're through, soup nazi.... no more soup for you! NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!"

Jerry: Hello?
Phone Guy: Hello, would you be interested in saving $$ on long distance?
Jerry: Oh, I'm right in the middle of something, can you give me your home phone number and I can call you back later?
Phone Guy: Uhm, I dont think we are alllowed to do that.
Jerry: Oh, so you don't want people calling you at home?
Phone Guy: No...
Jerry: Now you know how I feel *click*

*music* "Believe it or not George isn't at home, so please leave a message at the beep... I must be out or I'd pick up the phone... Where could I be? Believe it or not, I'm not home!" BEEEEEP

meow
04-22-2002, 12:57 AM
"Everybody wants to rule the world"

"I fear that I am ordinary, just like everyone one"

"out spot out"

jivewhiteboy
04-22-2002, 01:58 AM
"And then i realized, not only did I not want to answer that question, but I didn't want to answer another water sports question or see any of these people ever again."

------------------
"I've gotta car full of girls and it's going real swell, next stop is the east side motel."

Salena Child
04-22-2002, 02:53 AM
"if it doesn't matter in five years it doesn't matter."-cher.