View Full Version : Drama kids are fucking primadonnas.

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 12:51 AM
My girlfriend is the president of Drama Club at our high school. Drama is producing a musical (Pippin) this semester, which she didn't particularly want to be in, so she got a part in A Midsummer Night's Dream for community theatre instead.

However, they asked her to make the program. So she agreed.

Then the bullshit began.

First of all, they asked her to make a program on the Macintosh computers that the yearbook and newspaper use. She hadn't used them for two years, but they insisted that she use Pagemaker. Well, I'm on newspaper and I helped her out when she needed, and she managed to struggle through it.

Halfway through the work, she lost it. So she did the entire thing over again.

Meanwhile, through this, she organized a drive for NHS kids to collect the most random things for the play: stressballs, mints, safety pins, makeup sponges, etc. Nobody asked her to do this. She took responsibility and did it.

Finally, when it came to crunch time for the programs, a couple people didn't hand in their cast bios. (This after two weeks of being reminded every day.) So my girlfriend made them up. Of course, the programs weren't DONE after this--the head of the drama booster (I swear to God, I want to fucking shoot this woman) called my friend Jessica and me out of class to fix mistakes with the program since we hold the two highest positions on the newspaper staff (editor/business manager). "Mistakes" being that she thought people's names should be in order of importance on the program. Mind you, this isn't my job, and I had to make up the class work that I missed, as did Jessica, because she didn't know what she was doing and never asked my girlfriend if SHE knew what she was doing. (And then she had the nerve to ask me why the newspaper didn't cover the play BEFORE it happened. Never mind the fact that it's front page next issue, because "that doesn't help us." As if it were the newspaper's job to help drama, rather than the apparently novel concept of covering news AFTER it happens.)

At any rate, they asked my girlfriend to make up the bios for the people who didn't hand them in. So for one of them, she put "soandso is a malicious junior," completely facetiously. She took offense. And apparently now, the entire drama department is up in arms about the word "malicious" being in there, as well as misspellings in the program. Except the girl NEVER handed in a bio despite ample time, it's a JOKE (my girlfriend got a 1370 on her SAT; she's not stupid, and she wouldn't put that in somebody's bio seriously), and the program wasn't edited because I was in there making sure the damn thing got finished with this woman's ridiculous changes.

In summary, my girlfriend works her ass off for this play that she's not even in, WHILE BEING IN ANOTHER PLAY, and gets treated like shit because everything didn't go perfectly. And don't even get me started on how she and I have to sell backstage messages to the folks in the play tomorrow on about two days' notice.

Can you tell I'm just a bit aggravated with these idiots?

killtheyouth
04-20-2002, 01:03 AM
i agree. the stereotype really does fit in the case of drama people....ugh, its really annoying. and if they have anything wrong in their life, damn right you're gonna know about it.

i repeat: ugh.

[This message has been edited by killtheyouth (edited 04-20-2002).]

Krafty
04-20-2002, 01:06 AM
Hmm, as much as I do community theatre, I've managed to stay out of high school drama. And now I'm reminded of why.

starla dear
04-20-2002, 01:12 AM
that sounds an awful lot like what i go through with our newspaper. but. i won't get started with that. i'll just say that i understand the frustration.

------------------
fondle, fuck, and forgive eventually.
this is how we taint our hearts.

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 01:13 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Krafty:
Hmm, as much as I do community theatre, I've managed to stay out of high school drama. And now I'm reminded of why.</font>

The ironic thing is that one of the reasons she's not in the musical this semester is because she hated being in The Crucible during first semester so much.

But being Drama Club president, you can't really escape it, I suppose. Thank God it's her; I can only imagine if somebody else had the job.

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 01:14 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by starla dear:
that sounds an awful lot like what i go through with our newspaper.
</font>

Hey, now: newspaper kids kick the shit out of drama kids. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif

starla dear
04-20-2002, 01:18 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sawdust restaurants:
Hey, now: newspaper kids kick the shit out of drama kids. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/mad.gif</font>

well our drama kids are on the newspaper staff. and it really has nothing to do with either...it's the newspaper sponsor and the snotty, stuck up kids at my school. actually it's mainly just the sponsor. grrr.

------------------
fondle, fuck, and forgive eventually.
this is how we taint our hearts.

Samsa
04-20-2002, 01:22 AM
what does her getting a 1370 on her sats have to do with whether or not she called someone a 'malicious junior' as a joke or not?

DeviousJ
04-20-2002, 01:24 AM
I swear, if I was back in high school... not that we had a paper, but I would totally *kick ass * over a lot of stuff

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 01:24 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
what does her getting a 1370 on her sats have to do with whether or not she called someone a 'malicious junior' as a joke or not?</font>

Whether or not you agree with testing as a means of measuring ability (I, for one, don't), I still think it's safe to assume that anybody with SAT scores that high is an intelligent human being.

Intelligent human beings are smart enough not to seriously call somebody malicious in a program, especially if they have been doing drama for six years.

Samsa
04-20-2002, 01:29 AM
well, the sats measure verbal and math ability, not the amount of logic (or lack thereof) one possesses. case in point: i did well on my sats and do you have any idea what a spaz i am? i'm not saying she did it in a mean way, i'ms ure she was just kidding around but i think it was lame of you to mention her sats as proof of this.

Injektilo
04-20-2002, 01:34 AM
my girlfriend is big into drama, she says she hates half the drama people she knows, and loves the other half.
she's pretty normal though, I think. I call her an attention whore all the time, and she admits it.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

sickbadthing
04-20-2002, 01:46 AM
welcome to life. if this pisses you off, there is a rough road ahead of you.

SPZero
04-20-2002, 01:46 AM
Cry me a fucking river.

jenniferkate
04-20-2002, 02:29 AM
heh, high school.

------------------
what she asked of me at the end of the day, caligula would have blushed.

VegasPumpkin
04-20-2002, 03:04 AM
Never date a drama major for obvious reasons.

bittertrance
04-20-2002, 03:51 AM
youll soon find out that life is like this everyday as an adult

Ihaman
04-20-2002, 11:43 AM
welcome to the world of graphic design, where clients are never happy with what you did, and misspellings are just the beginnings of the entire problem (they hate the layout, the colors arent what they had in mind, the theme was supposed to be different, "you cant put who made it there!")

*sigh*

meow
04-20-2002, 02:58 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by bittertrance:
youll soon find out that life is like this everyday as an adult</font>

He's right.

Ihaman
04-20-2002, 02:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by meow:
He's right.</font>

she's right

frail_and_bedazzled
04-20-2002, 03:02 PM
mmm, great, and i'm going to be organizing a fashion show for nypirg next year....w00T! i'm going to be totally over-worked and underappreciated. then again, what can you expect?

THRILLHO
04-20-2002, 03:20 PM
you are the drama club president and the editor-in-cheif of the paper.

+

you believe that drama kids are fucking primadonnas.

=

drama-bashing editiorial scanadal galore!

Ihaman
04-20-2002, 03:24 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
mmm, great, and i'm going to be organizing a fashion show for nypirg next year....w00T! i'm going to be totally over-worked and underappreciated. then again, what can you expect?</font>

DO YOU NEED FLYERS?!?!?!

Lie
04-20-2002, 04:32 PM
I used to get you confused with ******. Now I remember why.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

Lie
04-20-2002, 04:32 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ihaman:
she's right</font>

He's right.

------------------

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 04:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:
I used to get you confused with ******. Now I remember why.</font>

Because you didn't pay enough attention.

I'm not as naive as you'd all like to think. I realize that life is like this. However, I have noticed that those in drama are notoriously annoying with things of these nature, moreso than most. The post isn't a "FEEL MY ANGST!?!!" type thing. It's a, "Wow, I know this life, but this is fucking ridiculous and these people need to grow the fuck up" post. It was frustrating, and I just needed a forum to vent in. It's not like I expect them to stop being idiots.

bonsor
04-20-2002, 04:58 PM
Because you didn't pay enough attention.

I'm not as naive as you'd all like to think. I realize that life is like this. However, I have noticed that those in drama are notoriously annoying with things of these nature, moreso than most. The post isn't a "FEEL MY ANGST!?!!" type thing. It's a, "Wow, I know this life, but this is fucking ridiculous and these people need to grow the fuck up" post. It was frustrating, and I just needed a forum to vent in. It's not like I expect them to stop being idiots.</font> Are you implying I do all these things? Fuck you too, Chris.

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 05:00 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ******:
Are you implying I do all these things? Fuck you too, Chris.</font>

No. I was insulting Lie. Getting somebody whose handle was "raindrops + sunshowers" confused with somebody whose handle was "******" is an impressive feat.

<3 u, John.

Affectation
04-20-2002, 05:10 PM
<font color=00ff33>Yeah, creating a program is a bitch.

Retard.

bonsor
04-20-2002, 05:10 PM
No. I was insulting Lie. Getting somebody whose handle was "raindrops + sunshowers" confused with somebody whose handle was "******" is an impressive feat.

<3 u, John. </font>
I was referring more to the second paragraph. Particularly the "I'm not as naive as you'd all like to think" and "FEEL MY ANGST" comments.

Lie
04-20-2002, 05:13 PM
</font>

Not as much as you might think. I thought "raindrops + sunshowers" must just be his altar ego or something. And that's another thing about you little pubescent shits. You take everything so goddamn seriously. It was light jest, not an insult. I don't dislike either of you, but I do wonder.

------------------

Affectation
04-20-2002, 05:16 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:
Not as much as you might think. I thought "raindrops + sunshowers" must just be his altar ego or something. And that's another thing about you little pubescent shits. You take everything so goddamn seriously. It was light jest, not an insult. I don't dislike either of you, but I do wonder.

</font>
<font color=00ff33>Go clean your yaya, dirty ass bitch.

Lie
04-20-2002, 05:22 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
<font color=00ff33>Go clean your yaya, dirty ass bitch.</font>

It's getting a bit old, sweetie.

------------------

sickbadthing
04-20-2002, 05:25 PM
What do I see? A bunch of grumpy guses on a Saturday afternoon. You're all adorable.

TiaraGurl
04-20-2002, 05:28 PM
I won the senior drama award in high school but the muscials were another department altogether. Thank god...

bonsor
04-20-2002, 05:28 PM
p a g e t w o

bonsor
04-20-2002, 05:29 PM
And I think I'll add my two cents. If your girl isn't keen on being in Pippin, then maybe being president of the Drama Club isn't for her. I mean, it's kind of obvious that being president of any club comes with some heavy reponsibilities. She owes her time to the club by being president which means she has to put up with the bullshit of dozens of bratty drama kids. So even though she's president of the damn club, she's wanking off with some other drama organization.
From what I see, she brought it on herself. Suze is right. High test scores =/= good logic abilities.

sawdust restaurants
04-20-2002, 07:12 PM
John: Drama Club is separate from any production put on in school and thus, "wanking off with another drama organization" isn't quite it. She just happens to be the bitch for the drama sponsor and the drama boosters, and if she DID bring this upon herself, it's not that she's president of the club but rather that she doesn't have the moxy to tell them all to fuck off, which is what she should have done in the first place considering next to none of this was really her responsibility.

That said, though, she does realize what you're saying--she's just sensitive. For Christ's sake, she's a 17-year-old female, after all. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif And she realizes all this now, which is why we're both looking forward to getting the hell out of here in a month.

I still think she has every right to be pissed off, as do I--they are primadonnas, I'm not the only one who thinks so, and the entire thing is a completely asinine situation. Does it really matter in the long run? No, but I hate it to see somebody, anybody, upset over the ridiculousness of other people. You can't expulcate my girl from blame, but certainly the situation wouldn't be in place right now if the entire drama organization weren't so fucking egotistical.

bonsor
04-20-2002, 07:19 PM
I didn't try to make it look like all the blame should be on her. Both parties do have a right to be upset about it. She took a job she couldn't quite handle and the drama kiddies got their panties in a twist about it. Although, acting the way they did won't ever help any situation, and neither will calling someone a "malicious junior" in a cast bio without their consent http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif.

Just my $0.02

Aeroplane
04-20-2002, 08:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by TiaraGurl:
I won the senior drama award in high school but the muscials were another department altogether. Thank god...</font>

Amen. Musicals suck ass. BTW, being a professional actor (of course I had to plug myself shamelessly), I know that the primadonnas that you(Sawdust restaurant) are referring to don't ever change. But also like you said, all drama people aren't like that.

frail_and_bedazzled
04-21-2002, 01:41 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Ihaman:
DO YOU NEED FLYERS?!?!?!</font>

but of course!