View Full Version : Why did YOU start smoking (cigarettes)?

Nate the Grate
04-01-2002, 08:02 PM
I mean, I can see why someone would want to smoke pot or something. it has its obvious upsides.

I just have never fully comprehended why people start smoking cigarettes. sure, in school they tell us all those dorky reasons (peer pressure, to look "cool", ect), but I'm curious as to why YOU started. eh?

------------------
http://www.rbibaseball.com/images/player-bo.gif

Hyperbole
04-01-2002, 08:03 PM
i didn't start. mwa ha ha ha.

failure
04-01-2002, 08:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Hyperbole:
i didn't start. mwa ha ha ha.</font>

------------------
http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/images/ani/smb3/ani_smb3_raccoonmariofly.gif they let lisa go blind/the world was at her feet and she was looking down/they let lisa go blind/but everyone she knew thought she was beautiful/only slightly mental/beautiful/a bit temperamental/beautiful

failure
04-01-2002, 08:05 PM
anyone who would willingly give themselves cancer is an idiot.

------------------
http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/images/ani/smb3/ani_smb3_raccoonmariofly.gif they let lisa go blind/the world was at her feet and she was looking down/they let lisa go blind/but everyone she knew thought she was beautiful/only slightly mental/beautiful/a bit temperamental/beautiful <font color=black> <font size=1>

[This message has been edited by failure (edited 04-01-2002).]

trine
04-01-2002, 08:05 PM
The usual, typical reasons. Worst decision of my life. Seriously.

------------------
build a man a fire and he is warm for a day... set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life...

frail_and_bedazzled
04-01-2002, 08:06 PM
i wanted cigarette breaks at work (honestly). i smoked occasionally before that and really didn't think i'd get hooked.

------------------
i am a themepark
http://www.gladstonegallery.com/00/00imag/nara.jpg

Hyperbole
04-01-2002, 08:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
i smoked occasionally before that and really didn't think i'd get hooked.
</font>

hehe...the surgeon general's warning "cigarettes are addictive" written on the pack wasn't enough?

Affectation
04-01-2002, 08:08 PM
<font color=00ff33>When I was 10, mainly because it was unknown territory. I've been smoking periodically since, and haven't become addicted at all. I smoke maybe a pack every three or four months. Usually when I'm drinking, but sometimes when I get stressed at work.

Addiction is for the weak. Test yourself, and see if you are.<font color=000000>

[This message has been edited by Affectation (edited 04-01-2002).]

Mr Snatch-O-Rama
04-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Stress.

tear stained glass
04-01-2002, 08:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by failure:
anyone who would willingly give themselves cancer is an idiot.</font>My great, great aunt was over the other day for Easter. She's ninety-nine and really out of it. I asked my uncle if he aimed to live to such an old age. He pointed to his cigarette and said, "No, I've got these on my side."

Nate the Grate
04-01-2002, 08:10 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Hyperbole:
hehe...the surgeon general's warning "cigarettes are addictive" written on the pack wasn't enough?</font>

what does the surgeon general know about medicine?

Affectation
04-01-2002, 08:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by failure:
anyone who would willingly give themselves cancer is an idiot.

</font><font color=00ff33>You subject yourself to cancer with nearly everything that you come in contact with, idiot. You can either die at 65, after a boring life. Or at 60, after an amazing one.

frail_and_bedazzled
04-01-2002, 08:14 PM
i guess i'm weak. then again, i did manage to quit despite being a major chain smoker.

trine
04-01-2002, 08:21 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Affectation:
<font color=00ff33>When I was 10, mainly because it was unknown territory. I've been smoking periodically since, and haven't become addicted at all. I smoke maybe a pack every other month. Usually when I'm drinking, but sometimes when I get stressed at work.

That's ideal. I wish I could smoke moderately like that.

Addiction is for the weak.

Pure bullshit. sometimes you dont see it comining.

</font>

------------------
build a man a fire and he is warm for a day... set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life...

Jaggie
04-01-2002, 08:41 PM
<font color=00ff33>You subject yourself to cancer with nearly everything that you come in contact with, idiot. You can either die at 65, after a boring life. Or at 60, after an amazing one.</font>

Although I'm not really disagreeing, I don't think that smoking cigarettes makes your life amazing.

------------------
i wasted (http://www.jaggie.net) all my years, been chasing all my fears

Affectation
04-01-2002, 08:42 PM
<font color=00ff33>It doesn't make your life amazing, but the abstaining majority tend to not venture out much into the many outlets that life has to offer.

peabody
04-01-2002, 08:49 PM
that sounds stupid.

you need them to handle stress and you've been smoking for 9 years, yet you're not addicted?

hmmm.

nelifex
04-01-2002, 08:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by trine:
The usual, typical reasons. Worst decision of my life. Seriously.

</font>

Affectation
04-01-2002, 08:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by peabody:
that sounds stupid.

you need them to handle stress and you've been smoking for 9 years, yet you're not addicted?

hmmm.</font><font color=00ff33>You must not have read that carefully enough. I occasionally have a cigarette to calm me down. Occasionally as in once every other month.

I've been smoking for eleven years, not nine.

Having a cigarette every few weeks hardly sounds like addiction, chief.

failure
04-01-2002, 08:58 PM
You subject yourself to cancer with nearly everything that you come in contact with, idiot. You can either die at 65, after a boring life. Or at 60, after an amazing one.</font>
obviously you didn't read what i said, dipshit. of course there are numerous, uncontroleable ways that one can get cancer. however, anyone who would knowledgeably and willingly give it to themselves when they have the choice not to is an idiot. and since when does smoking make your life 'amazing'?

Affectation
04-01-2002, 09:04 PM
<font color=00ff33>Fag. The point is that you can either try your best to live inside of a protective shell, and experience nothing, or live a little. Chain smoking leads to cancer. Second hand smoke in a chain smoking house leads to cancer. Having a cigarette every so often DOESN'T lead to cancer.

But please, continue to live in fear. You'll meet your pathetic end soon enough.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
04-01-2002, 09:06 PM
I was 15 and had recently dumped my boyfriend. When I was 17 I got bored of the habit and quit.

------------------
I'm a member of the thought police and the Junior Anti Sex League. Double think that, BITCH!

AIM: ZeppieLed

trine
04-01-2002, 09:20 PM
<font color=00ff33>Fag. Having a cigarette every so often DOESN'T lead to cancer.

</font>

Sure it does, it's just that the odds of it diminish the less you smoke.

------------------

[This message has been edited by trine (edited 04-01-2002).]

spava
04-01-2002, 09:25 PM
<font color=crimson>I started smoking continually by the time I was 15. Why? I thought it was the cool thing to do.

I quit over a year ago.

------------------
http://content.communities.msn.ca/_Secure/0NgCuDmETGwswyohMDx13DSxpsXgrEMJi0oQBa4tQAQjkI3jqA aM!JiD*eznAwWoS5dsoOFwBfZJdwDWXBlTLeQ/LisaVisa.jpg it must be hard with your head on backwards

Travis Meeks
04-01-2002, 09:44 PM
I started I guess when I was about 12 when I was riding dirt bikes with older friends. Started smoking alot when I went to college because it seemed to go well with beer.

Affectation
04-01-2002, 09:46 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by trine:
Sure it does, it's just that the odds of it diminish the less you smoke.

</font><font color=00ff33>I like you.

bonsor
04-01-2002, 10:00 PM
I don't smoke often, but when I do, it's to look cool. Honestly.

Graveflower
04-01-2002, 10:24 PM
Looking cool, and dying before you're too old. This is what life is all about.

Random Female
04-01-2002, 10:32 PM
I can tell you why my brother just started. (he's 19) He's insecure and thinks that smoking will make him cool in the eyes of his stoner surfer friends while at the same time pissing off his parents and sister. SOUNDSL IKE A WINNER, DUDES!!!

Affectation
04-01-2002, 10:35 PM
<font color=00ff33>Sounds like someone with an open mind, and lack of the standard bigotry that the majority of people have.

Graveflower
04-01-2002, 10:40 PM
Oh, and other than that, I actually like it. It's something to do.

june33
04-01-2002, 11:02 PM
I also like taking smoking breaks at work... plus I work in a resturaunt, so that dosen't help any. Mainly, I smoke because I enjoy it. It calms me down and I genuinley enjoy sitting down to smoke a cigarette.

twice
04-01-2002, 11:22 PM
http://www.uiowa.edu/~commstud/adclass/camel/camel-vegas.jpg

i took one look at him. ^

Nothing cooler than a smoking camel. Nothing.

[This message has been edited by twice (edited 04-01-2002).]

frail_and_bedazzled
04-01-2002, 11:33 PM
it's sad to admit, but i do find smoking to be glamorous. of course it does horrible shit to your body, but the actual act and visuals are quite sexy and 'cool'. it's shameful to say. of course not everyone who smokes is cool, ha, who would ever think that? it makes the gesture cool, not the person. blue smoke slithering out of the corner of your mouth and nostrils is an undeniably stylish and sensual thing.

glued_on_wings
04-01-2002, 11:43 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled:
it's sad to admit, but i do find smoking to be glamorous. of course it does horrible shit to your body, but the actual act and visuals are quite sexy and 'cool'. it's shameful to say. of course not everyone who smokes is cool, ha, who would ever think that? it makes the gesture cool, not the person. blue smoke slithering out of the corner of your mouth and nostrils is an undeniably stylish and sensual thing.</font>

I kind of agree with you here. However the reason i started was partly to this, partly to get breaks at work, and pratly becuase of stress. It was the worst descion i have made, but i guess i will deal with it for the time being..

Rock On..

------------------
- I use music (http://www.gluedsboots.cjb.net) as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life... -
-We will miss you!! The Smashing Pumpkins (1988-2000) -
Sad Machines Audio Archive (http://www.crosswinds.net/~sadmachines)
Glued On Wings FTP (ftp://smashing:pumpkins@sadmachines.d2g.com)

Human Replica Droid
04-01-2002, 11:55 PM
No matter what reason anyone gives, the real reason was, "To look cool."

Graveflower
04-01-2002, 11:56 PM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c899/c89937xe4x9.jpg

sickbadthing
04-02-2002, 12:03 AM
I smoke because I want to give second hand smoke to you. I'm trying to murder you with my breath.

failure
04-02-2002, 12:36 AM
<font color=00ff33>Fag. The point is that you can either try your best to live inside of a protective shell, and experience nothing, or live a little. Chain smoking leads to cancer. Second hand smoke in a chain smoking house leads to cancer. Having a cigarette every so often DOESN'T lead to cancer.

But please, continue to live in fear. You'll meet your pathetic end soon enough.</font>

well i'm quite sorry that every smoker on this planet doesn't have the strong, anti-addiction blockade that such an amazing person like yourself has. but, it's pretty fucking commonly known that the good majority of people who smoke are addicted. it's also common knowledge that those people will more-than-likely get cancer. so, with the exception of such resilient and powerful people as yourself who fear nothing and live life to the fullest, these people are smoking knowing that they will probably get cancer, and i have no sympathy for that. so fuck off.

the_boy
04-02-2002, 01:09 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
I actually like it. It's something to do.</font>
Ditto.
I started out of boredom, literally. I went to a high school way out in the middle of nowhere. The ONLY thing to do during lunch or spares was hang outside and smoke. I didnt really do it to fit in per se, but it was definitely a social thing. And I liked it....still do. I think that if i didnt enjoy my first cigarette, then I probably wouldnt be a smoker today.

Oh, and you Canadians....have u seen the pack with the guy lying on his back with all those blue tubes goin into him? Its the "CIGARETTES CAUSE LUNG CANCER" one. That guy looks EXACTLY like me. Its pretty freaky, actually. Almost freaky enough to make me quit......almost.

BlueStar
04-02-2002, 02:23 AM
A little bit of boredom, a little bit of coolness, a little of other stuff. The first time I ever smoked was my senior year in high school. I spent all my time at the dance studio, and it was what all the professional ballerinas did. But, I didn't start smoking reguarly until my junior year of college. And it was basically to have a reason to stand outside the classroom buildings on the lawn inbetween classes...to see and be seen (thus, bringing in the coolness factor). On average, I smoke 0-4 cigarettes a day. For medical purposes, you generally have to smoke at least 10 cigarettes a day to be considered a smoker. And I would say that I'm not addicted...today was the first time I had a cigarette in over a week. And I do that a lot. I just kind of randomly smoke. It's more of a something I do at bars and concerts thing.

------------------
~~Samantha~~
AIM: MercuryAdore

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~sag249/sigankle.jpg

Silverstream
04-02-2002, 03:12 AM
boredom, and trying to look cool.
i wouldnt say i am addicted, i prolly smoke a pack a month.
i mainly do it when i drink.

Krafty
04-02-2002, 03:32 AM
Curiousity, and then I enjoyed it.

whiteSPider
04-02-2002, 05:55 AM
started smoking in 9th grade just to try it out...smoked for 2 years and then quit for 2 years and then started up again once i was in college just to pass time and have been addicted to cigarettes since...but im a quitter now! *must defeat cravings*

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
"so put your hands around my heart and squeeze me til im dry"

^{`;}^

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Ammy
04-02-2002, 03:36 PM
-i liked the slight high i used to get (before i smoked pot http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif)
-i am an idiot
-i felt like i was just too smart to get addicted
-i am an idiot
-i felt cool http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif
-I'm an idiot
-the differnt social circles that arose were fun
-i am an idiot
-i liked it
-i am an idiot
-boredom
-i am, infact, an idiot

[This message has been edited by Ammy (edited 04-02-2002).]

Massive Attack
04-02-2002, 04:07 PM
I was a bad kid
so I got grounded a lot
my mom smoked
so when I was pissed at her for grounding me...I'd take some of her cigarettes out of her purse and smoke them when she wasn't home
I even fucking smoked her butts before...sicke sick GROSS
ew
k so yeah...my first cigarette was when I was in 5th grade, I think

I wanted to grow up too fast ;-[

Delta
04-02-2002, 04:13 PM
i was 16 and on a construction site. i started just to fit in with the other guys, and quit before the end of the summer because i really didnt enjoy it

Helena Handbasket
04-02-2002, 09:16 PM
To get smoke breaks at work, to look cool, etc.. Also when I'm out in public, I tend to get kinda nervous and awkward feeling, and it helps.

Curiosity was a big factor, too.

Skye
04-02-2002, 11:10 PM
I had a smoking phase around exam time in 2nd year, I used to smoke DuMaurier's on study breaks. It ended once exam time ended.