View Full Version : Let's Talk Baseball: Twenty Questions for 2002

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-20-2002, 08:03 PM
<font color=#007AAA>You can answer as many or as few as you want. I'll wait to get some responses to reply myself.

1. Is the addition of Carl Everett, Chan Ho Park and the return of Juan Gone enough to make the Rangers competitive?
2. Are the Mets the next Baltimore Orioles (big spending on vets, little results)?
3. Can the Twinkies do it again?
4. Will the Yankees stumble?
5. Can the Boston Red Sox avoid injuries and be competitive?
6. Are the Sox good enough to beat the Yankees?
7. Is Cleveland gonna suck or what?
8. Can the A's stay competitive?
9. Is Ryan Anderson's career over before it even started (top Mariner prospect has suffered back to back season ending injuries, will miss this season)?
10. Does Vladimir Guerrero rock or what?
11. What will become of the Expos and the Marlins? Does anyone care?
12. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays suck, don't they?
13. Is Sheffield a difference maker for the Braves?
14. Can McGriff have another great year for the Cubs? Does the addition of Moises Alou make a difference or are they still the Cubs?
15. Are the Rockies wasting money on pitchers, i.e. is it possible to pitch in Coors Field?
16. When will the Dodgers give up?
17. How strong are the Pillies, really?
18. Is Derek Bell a joke or what? Does he think management really cares if he doesn't play? Why is he even still on the Pirates?
19. How competitive will the Cardinals be?
20. Who's gonna win the World Series?

------------------
We don't find truth, we create (http://www.livejournal.com/~mrrhinoceros) it.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Rhinoceros (edited 03-20-2002).]

neopryn
03-20-2002, 08:14 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros:
<font color=#007AAA>You can answer as many or as few as you want. I'll wait to get some responses to reply myself.

1. Is the addition of Carl Everett, Chan Ho Park and the return of Juan Gone enough to make the Rangers competitive?
2. Are the Mets the next Baltimore Orioles (big spending on vets, little results)
9. Is Ryan Anderson's career over before it even started (top Mariner prospect has suffered back to back season ending injuries, will miss this season).
14. Can McGriff have another great year for the Cubs? Does the addition of Moises Alou make a difference or are they still the Cubs?
15. Are the Rockies wasting money on pitchers, i.e. is it possible to pitch in Coors Field?
18. Is Derek Bell a joke or what? Does he think management really cares if he doesn't play? Why is he even still on the Pirates?

</font>
1. Fuck no
2. Hell yes
3. Absolutely
4. They'd better
5. No (duh)
6. In theory, yes
7. I like their new uniforms
8. With that rotation they can do anything
9. Probably
10. OFUKYA
11. No
12. Not as bad as us (Pirates)
13. I don't know
14. They're the Cubs
15. Yes
16. Soon, hopefully
17. Not strong at all
18. He is my least favorite person on the face of the planet. Craig Wilson hit 13 HRs in very limited play last year, and it's not like we have anything to lose.
19. Central Champs at least
20. Twins

Jaggie
03-20-2002, 08:38 PM

2. Are the Mets the next Baltimore Orioles (big spending on vets, little results)?
9. Is Ryan Anderson's career over before it even started (top Mariner prospect has suffered back to back season ending injuries, will miss this season)?

</font>

1. No
2. Yes (pitching wins and loses games, not aging batters)
3. Maybe
4. Absolutely not
5. They might take the wild card but the curse will continue
6. Not even close
7. Bring on years of shittiness
8. Yes they have the new decade's equivalent of the 90's Braves rotation
9. Haven't heard much of him
10. Too bad contraction didn't happen (yet)
11. I think it'll happen in the next few years, as it should
12. They got some good young talent but no good vets (cept for Vaughn) to lead them
13. Yes, without him it might have been the Phils and Mets battling for the east, now it will be the Phils and Mets battling for the wild card
14. He's getting old. Alou needs to stay healthy and if so the Cubs can be in the race for the playoffs
15. Possibly, or Mike Hampton could have just had a bad year
16. LoDuca has game, give them some hope
17. They will fall just short of the wild card with two strong teams in NY and Atl
18. He's a jerk. I'm sorry, when you haven't batted over 200 for 2 years, regardless of injuries, you not only will be fighting for a position, you will be lucky if you get it. He deserves to be cut and go begging to coach little league somewhere
19. They got Tino (still a fan) plus Pujols and some good pitchers. I think if Ankiel can get his shit together that they can be a dominant team
20. Yanks over Atlanta in 5

Thanks, fun poll.

------------------
i wasted (http://www.jaggie.net) all my years, been chasing all my fears

Jaggie
03-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Yea to clear up my views a bit: although the Mets will not live up to the hopes everyone has, I still think they will be a strong team. They wont run away with the east though.

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-20-2002, 08:44 PM
<font color=#007AAA>Thanks for reminding me Jaggie:

21. Ankiel's finished, isn't he?

------------------

Jaggie
03-20-2002, 08:46 PM

</font>

Unfortunately, I'd say yes. Too bad too, he had potential.

And if you don't mind, just out of curiosity (my roommate is a huge Seattle fan, I hate em):

How do you think Seattle will do this season?

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-20-2002, 08:58 PM
<font color=#007AAA>I don't think Seattle changed much in the offseason. They'll be strong again, and there's not much of a fight in their division, I don't care how good the A's pitching is...they did lose Sele though, and Ryan Anderson's career looks to be completely toast.

By the way, I think the Red Sox are going to kick ass this year. Curse, shmurse. Their lineup is bad ass, and they added Burkett and Dustin Hermanson. And they have a fantastic bullpen, with two top notch closers in Urbina and Lowe (although apparently they're gonna try starting them) Clark and Johnny Damon will help. They have a great 1 thru 5, and I think the Yankees are going to suffer from ancient pitching this year.

------------------

Jaggie
03-20-2002, 09:27 PM
<font color=#007AAA>I don't think Seattle changed much in the offseason. They'll be strong again, and there's not much of a fight in their division, I don't care how good the A's pitching is...they did lose Sele though, and Ryan Anderson's career looks to be completely toast.

By the way, I think the Red Sox are going to kick ass this year. Curse, shmurse. Their lineup is bad ass, and they added Burkett and Dustin Hermanson. And they have a fantastic bullpen, with two top notch closers in Urbina and Lowe (although apparently they're gonna try starting them) Clark and Johnny Damon will help. They have a great 1 thru 5, and I think the Yankees are going to suffer from ancient pitching this year.
</font>

I agree that the Sox have the potential to be a good team, but they did last year as well. I just dont think they can do it. As far as the Yanks go, their staff will still be top notch. The Rocket is aging, but remember he won the Cy Young last year. Pettite is only slightly past his prime, still a great pitcher. Mussina ia one of the top tier pitchers in the league. El Duque has been very strong this spring and may be a real sleeper. If you have David Wells (who I noticed lost a noticable amount of weight) and Sterling Hitch**** battling for a #5 spot, you're doing fine.

joe joe
03-20-2002, 09:34 PM
i fucking hate the metrodome for everything but the vikings(concerts included). the twins will be playing for serious pride. wouldnt it be crazy if they won the world series and the league got ridda them???

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-20-2002, 10:40 PM
<font color=#007AAA>1. The Rangers are daft. Didn't the mid 90s Seattle Mariners teach them that consistently good teams don't come from ridiculously powerful linups can only win so many games? I guess not. It's pretty ironic, however, that they re-signed Juan Gone, wich means the Tigers got absolutely nothing from that trade, and the Rangers got a 100% profit.
2. The Mets are a fucking joke. I used to like them, but then they got rid of all their homegrown talent to taste that World Series again. I'm still stunned they traded Alex Escobar, their top prospect. They're going to be in the same mess Baltimore is.
3. I'm surprised that they were still competitive without Matt Lawton. They have no power at all. The Braves have been lagging behind the last few years despite their legendary pitching staff, and they still had two more power hitters than the Twins do.
4. Yes. I'm pretty certain that the Rocket won't be as good as he once was. Sterling Hitch**** is good, but he's also old. I don't care if David Wells looks like Randy Johnson now, he's still injury prone. Moose and Pettitte are both great pitchers, but if one of them has an off year...besides, they lost a whole bunch of the hitters that made the Yankees the Yankees the past few years, that's gotta take a hit on team chemistry.
5. God I hope so.
6. Absolutely.
7. Yeah. And I'm pretty happy about that. Their pitching staff is pretty good though, for once.
8. I seriously doubt it. I bet one of their pitchers will have a bad year, and they have little offense to make up for it. Jermaine Dye is great, but after that they have a bunch of guys who overachieve.
9. Unfortunately, it probably is. Few bounce back from shoulder surgery. Having two in a row is career suicide.
10. I hope to god he doesn't end up on the Yankees.
11. Well I think it's kind of unfair that those teams are on the chopping block and not the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. They should just decide to euthanize or not the Marlins and the Expos now and stop fucking about.
12. Yeah pretty much. Their young talent isn't really good enough to make it look hopeful any time soon.
13. As long as he isn't a cancer in the clubhouse, absolutely. He should give Chipper and Andruw Jones some breathing room. He'll make everyone a better hitter.
14. I think McGriff will bottom out, and Alou won't be enough to offset that. The Cubs need a few more pieces before they can call themselves contenders.
15. I think it's a waste of time unless they assemble a real power hitting line up, then they'd be bad ass. As long as pitchers can keep their ERA's around five and the hitters can hit homers like mad even out of Denver, they'd be contenders.
16. They really need to just start over. They're trying to assemble a contender from nothing.
17. Not at all. Last year was a fluke. Their rotation is a fucking joke.
18. I think he's mentally handicapped actually. Does he really think that not playing is a threat when he bats under .200? What a dumb ass.
19. They'll do ok...I guess.
20. BOSTON RED SOX! YAY!

------------------

ModernCheeze
03-20-2002, 11:43 PM
<font color=#007AAA>
2. The Mets are a fucking joke. I used to like them, but then they got rid of all their homegrown talent to taste that World Series again. I'm still stunned they traded Alex Escobar, their top prospect. They're going to be in the same mess Baltimore is.
</font>

What homegrown talent? The Mets's farm system has blown for a good while...players that play well in Triple-A and then choke when the get to the majors. Case in point: Alex Escobar. He's been the Mets's "Top Prospect" for 5 years. Every time they test him in the majors he sucks hard. The only use he was anymore to them was a bargaining chip. And this season, he's injured himself already.

------------------
-JJ

"Everyone hates a sad professor. I hate where I wound up."
AIM: nu100

Jaggie
03-20-2002, 11:43 PM
Assuming from your posts, Mr. Rhino, that you're a Boston fan and I'm a Yanks fan, this thread has been remarkably civil.

------------------

raindrops + sunshowers
03-20-2002, 11:49 PM

No. The Rangers are forever tainted with the blood of a Bush. They'll never win the World Series from here on out.

No, because I like the Mets, even though I truthfully think that's what's going to happen. I'm pissed as hell that we traded Escobar, and I want to fucking smack Steve Phillips, but if (and this is a big fucking if) everything gels, we'll at least get one or two competitive Series runs in the next few years.

No, man. They're the fucking Twins. (In theory, yes.)

Depends on what you mean by "stumble." They're still going to be competitive; I still think they're going to make the playoffs and perhaps win the AL. Why? Because they're the Yankees. First Rule of Baseball: play with the Yanks and you get burned.

Yes.

In the regular season? Yes. In the playoffs? Possibly, but not likely.

It will be fun to finally see them wallow in mediocrity.

Yes, but they won't go over the top. Give them another two or three years, a few good personnel moves, and they can challenge for a ring.

No idea.

Fuck, yes. I want to be him. The coolest player in baseball behind Al Leiter. (Let's face it; Leiter is perfectly average in every way except baseball. It's wonderful.)

The Marlins are going to be better than you think, and I think that might save them from the chopper come next year. The Expos suck, but I want them to stay in the league purely for nostalgic purposes. Nix the Devil Rays.

See #11.

Yeah, but the Braves are getting older, too.

Possibly; it makes a difference, but not a big enough one. The Cubbies will be good, but not good enough.

In theory, it might pay off for them, but I doubt it.

When they finish dead last. Which may take a while, for obvious reasons.

17. How strong are the Phillies, really?

Not nearly strong enough.

Isn't that guy's in RBI Baseball?

They'll win their division.

Montreal. Duh.

ModernCheeze
03-20-2002, 11:57 PM

</font>

1. Hahahahahahaha....no.
2. They're not going to be as bad as everyone else in this thread is saying they'll be, but they're sure as hell not going to win the World Series (although I can still hope)...
3. Hahahahahahaha...no.
4. The Yankees have made buying the World Series an artform. What little "dead weight" they had either retired or was replaced. Until MLB introduces the salary cap, look for the Yanks to win countless more Series.
5. Better question: Will the Sox's third manager in two seasons be able to handle the bum situation he's been handed? No.
6. See above.
7. Is this even a real question?
8. I don't see why not. They've lost a few players, but the A's remind me of a Sandlot baseball team. They play for fun, they play with iron determination, and they play like a group of friends.
9. Does anyone care?
10. I <3 the Vlad and the 'Spos.
11. Is it still wishful thinking I'll soon be a part owner of the 'Spos? Ah well...
12. They sho do.
13. Not if there's a God...and even if there isn't, my only wish is for the Braves to be hit by a small Turner Field size asteroid.
14. Probably, but it won't make much difference.
15. Sure, its possible to pitch in Coors Fields. They only get hit 5 bajillion miles into the Canadian frontier.
16. When they look down at their jerseys, realize their the Dodgers, and then implode.
17. Not a girl, not yet a women.
18. Uh....Pittsburgh makes steel...
19. Competitive enough to get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.
20. In my dreams, the Mets. In real life, the Expos. Mark my words....

------------------
-JJ

Andrew_Pakula
03-20-2002, 11:58 PM
Well since this will probably be the last season for the Montreal Expos I will probably make a trip to Montreal this summer to go see them.

But who knows they have been saying for years they are going to get rid of them and yet they still have stuck around but I have a feeling this is the end for them since they have little local support at all.

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-20-2002, 11:58 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ModernCheeze:
What homegrown talent? The Mets's farm system has blown for a good while...players that play well in Triple-A and then choke when the get to the majors. Case in point: Alex Escobar. He's been the Mets's "Top Prospect" for 5 years. Every time they test him in the majors he sucks hard. The only use he was anymore to them was a bargaining chip. And this season, he's injured himself already. </font>

<font color=#007AAA>Yeah now that I think about it, the Mets never had anyone that was from the system on their teams the last few years...I didn't know that about Escobar. I always read good things about him in prospect reports. That shows you how much they know.

------------------

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-21-2002, 12:02 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Jaggie:
Assuming from your posts, Mr. Rhino, that you're a Boston fan and I'm a Yanks fan, this thread has been remarkably civil.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>That's because I'm from Texas and my facination with the BoSox is the same as most people's facination with the Cubs. It would be the greatest thing ever if the Sox won the series...

------------------

FearFactory
03-21-2002, 12:16 AM
<font color="orange">1. Is the addition of Carl Everett, Chan Ho Park and the return of Juan Gone enough to make the Rangers competitive?

No.

Yes. They're cursed to be in the same division as the Braves and are forever doomed to play for runner-up.

No. If they start hot, they'll just falter as spring turns to summer.

YES! God is going to punish them for not bringing up enough of their own talent and just buying last year's MVPs.

Yes. Look for them to finally get somewhere in the AL East.

They're not only good, they're better than good.

Probably.

Possibly, but it's going to be more difficult without Giambi.

Probably. He should become a telemarketer.

Yeah he does.

They'll probably contract, which is a real shame.

The only thing that Florida's known for is orange juice and death met@l.

Yeah. They're gonna have a fucking huge year with Sheffield in the middle of that lineup. Look for Chipper and Andruw to go absolutely nuts.

He'll probably have another solid year, Alou will contribute... but they're still the Cubs, as you said.

It's possible to pitch in Coors Field. They just need to focus on getting guys that get a lot of groundouts, not power pitchers. I really think they should have picked up Nomo.

I don't know - when will the rest of LA give up? I hate that place.

Take two and call me in the morning

Derek Bell's always been a whiny bitch.

They won't be.

How about............. the Braves? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by FearFactory (edited 03-20-2002).]

Calio6
03-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Oh Ryan anderson. You had so much potential......

But as long as Gil Meche gets better I will be ok with things. THat guy fucking rocks the house.

x-man
03-21-2002, 12:46 AM
1. not unless solo home runs count for double.

2. Shawn Estes has all the potential to be the next Jerry Koosman...but he stoled a cop bicycle once (he was 24 yrs old, mind you) and i've always wondered about his character since then.

3. Not unless shots off the glad-bag out in right count for a run.

4. no. Giambi gives them new life.

5. what's the difference...the curse of the Bambino still reigns.

6. the Babe says, "NO!"

7. they should have kept Rocker. lol.

8. A's have the best starting rotation in Baseball. Cory Lidle is the best starter you havent heard of. A's still rock.

9. ouch.

10. Vlady is a freak of nature. The best 5-tool player in the game (run, catch, throw, hit, hit for power).

11. Expos, Marlins, Twins and Devil Rays should all go.

12. see #11

13. Sheffield is a whiny over-paid cancerous bitch.

14. go Cubbies. Alou should help.

15. Rockies and D-backs should be extinct as well.

16. Dodgers have had more talent with less cohesion than any franchise in any sport ever.

17. ? Phillies? what about the Giants?

18. Derek Bell? How long can Dusty Baker manage with little criticism from fans and media no matter how bad the Giants choke?

19. If Stan Musial can come back and play, the Cardinals should be tough.

20. Giants over the A's. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Jaggie
03-21-2002, 01:54 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by FearFactory:
<font color="orange">

YES! God is going to punish them for not bringing up enough of their own talent and just buying last year's MVPs.
</font>

No homegrown talent? Look at Rivera (best closer in the game), Jeter (one of the 3 best SS in the league), Bernie (one of the top CF in the game), Pettite (excellent pitcher), Posada (establishing himself as a top tier catcher), El Duque (one of the best post season pitchers in the game, minus his injury-ridden 2001 season), Ramiro Mendoza (excellent reliever), Soriano (one of the hottest young players in the game, 2nd in best rookie voting behind Ichiro last year), as well as 2 of the hottest prospects in the game in Nick Johnson and Drew Henson. They have plenty of homegrown talent.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by FearFactory:
<font color="orange">

How about............. the Braves? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif
</font>

They'll make it to the WS and, as always, lose to the Yanks.

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-21-2002, 01:57 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by x-man:
2. Shawn Estes has all the potential to be the next Jerry Koosman...but he stoled a cop bicycle once (he was 24 yrs old, mind you) and i've always wondered about his character since then.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>I didn't know that. Shawn Estes is now one of my favorite players.</font>

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Crap about Dusty Baker</font>

<font color=#007AAA>The man works wonders with what he's given.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Rhinoceros (edited 03-21-2002).]

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-21-2002, 01:59 AM
homegrown talent...blahblahblah...El Duque</font>

<font color=#007AAA>No, I'm sorry. He doesn't count. He's a product of Cuba, not the Yankees. All the rest, yes, but not him. If you're going to take credit from him, you might as well take credit for that Japanese Fatass.

------------------

FearFactory
03-21-2002, 02:07 AM
<font color=#007AAA>No, I'm sorry. He doesn't count. He's a product of Cuba, not the Yankees. All the rest, yes, but not him. If you're going to take credit from him, you might as well take credit for that Japanese Fatass.

</font>

<font color="orange">It's okay, man... it's Jaggie. I love it when he and Wayne argue baseball.
</font>
<font color="red">

------------------
http://raversaregay.homestead.com/files/USA.gif
I'm bringing you down with me.

matt reeder
03-21-2002, 05:10 AM

Possibly, but you have to have more than one decent pitcher to win. In their division, forget it. Chan Ho might flop in that ballpark.

They'll probably be better than last year, but I don't think they have the pitching to win the East. I think the Braves should take it again.

Definitely. If Christian Guzman can stay healthy and their pitching can keep the ball in the park, they have as good a chance as any to win what looks to be the weakest division in baseball.

Hopefully. All signs point to doubtful though. However, losing much of their veteran leadership to retirement and free agency might have repercussions in the postseason.

Injuries or not, their pitching is still weak. They likely won't win any more than 85 games this year.

No.

They'll probably be better than you think, but I still don't think they have what it takes to win their weak division. If Sabathia is as good as last year, maybe. I'm still picking the Sox in the central though.

With their pitching? Absolutely. Remember the name Carlos Pena.

Given that he's 22 and lefthanded, I doubt it.

Yep. He has the most raw talent in baseball.

Your guess is as good as mine. I hope baseball doesn't contract though, and if it does, I hope it isn't the Twins, one of MLB's original 16 franchises.

They won't be as awful as you think. They went 35-39 in the second half last year and could surprise if they can avoid injuries. Regardless, if anyone should be contracted, its the Devil Rays. They're the newest franchise, they play in a shithole, and they have no tradition.

He'll make enough of a difference for the Braves to win yet again in the NL East.

The Cubs' offense will be improved, but their pitching won't be. Virtually every member of the Cubs staff had a career year last year, and duplicating such a feat is gonna prove difficult. Regardless of what their fans will tell you, they're still only the third-best team in their division.

You can never waste enough money on pitching. I think it is possible to pitch in Coors Field; the Rockies have just wasted money on the wrong pitchers. Instead of gambling with fly-ball pitchers, that entire organization should teach the sinker at every level.

They'll be better this year, as their pitching has improved despite the loss of Chan Ho Park. However, they don't have the offense to win their division. A wild-card berth is not entirely out of the question though.

17. How strong are the Phillies, really?

They'll field essentially the same team as last year, the only changes being that Omar Daal is gone with Terry Adams in his place, and Mike Lieberthal will be back. I think that, in time, they may be the new powerhouse in the NL East if they can keep their time together. That is, as always, easier said than done.

He'll be better this year than last-he couldn't possibly be worse. But his may be the worst free-agent signing in the history of baseball. Seriously.

Competitive enough to win 95-100 games and their division, if not the National League. You heard it here first, but the Cardinals are the strongest team in the National League BAR NONE. They have the hitting, the pitching, the defense, and the experience.

Of course, you might think I'm blowing smoke...I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan. But seriously...they seem to be the only National League team without any real weaknesses.

I think it will be the Cardinals and the Yankees in the Series this year, but who wins is anyone's guess. I'm afraid of my gut feeling though.

------------------
Nirvana list: http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-mirvana.txt (http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-nirvana.txt)
Other Bands list: http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-otherbands.txt

My boredom has outshined the sun.

matt reeder
03-21-2002, 05:21 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by x-man:

19. If Stan Musial can come back and play, the Cardinals should be tough.

</font>

Even a Cubs fan such as yourself can't downplay the fact that they have a better lineup, better bullpen, and better pitching staff than the Cubs. The only advantage the Cubs have is having the best heart of the order in baseball. If they can three stay healthy.

Here are my picks, division wise:

AL:
East-New York
Central-Chicago
West-Seattle

NL:
East-Atlanta
Central-St. Louis
West-San Francisco

------------------
Nirvana list: http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-mirvana.txt (http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-nirvana.txt)
Other Bands list: http://www.ilstu.edu/~mareede/bootlist-otherbands.txt

My boredom has outshined the sun.

I Ate My Hamster
03-21-2002, 05:41 AM
So many things I want to talk about in this thread, and so many people I want to throw shit at.

-Yes, With the lineup they have, Park can easily be a 20+ game winner.

-If the Mets are anyone they would be the 2000 Rangers..Baltimore made the mistake of wasting money in the past few years, in the wrong places..I.E. Johnson, Anderson..making Melvin Mora an every day player, losing Alomar, Palmeiro..basically they make the wrong moves all the time. The Mets made a huge improvement from last year..their pitching is significantly upgraded over last year, and the line-up is too good to overlook..Whoever said the Mets just added old players..a 33 year old and a 34 year old doesn't make your lineup old when they replaced a 34 and a 36 year old. The Mets are one of the teams to beat this year.

-Simply..yes..Great pitching, great young players..yes..

-not likely, but they may have some holes in their outfield with White, and Williams injured yearly..and Van der Wall in right? The 3 things they need is a healthy outfield, a continued improvement of Soriano, and Clemens not to look like a 40 year old man.

-Yes

-No.

-No..Great young pitching..even though Colon aged 2 years..

-Yes..Carlos Pena is a great pickup..so Is Justice..everything else is still in place. Great young team plus great young pitching.

9. Is Ryan Anderson's career over before it
even started (top Mariner prospect has suffered back to back season ending injuries, will miss this season)?

-Well..I wouldn't say over..hell Ruben Rivera is still getting chance after chance after chance and he is 28..He needs to get healthy..with his potention, plenty of teams will give him plenty of oppurtunities for years to come.

-One of the best players in the league.

-One will move, one will be dismantled. But if one of them has a great year, you never know.. Too early to tell.. And yes I do care.

-Yes.

-I don't think he is as big a difference figuring he is replacing Brian Jordan who has had an amazing couple of years for the Braves. But he is a huge pickup. The difference maker is Furcal coming back, Betemit and Giles emerging and the plattoon at 1b(Franco and Helms) being productive.

-I would be very scared of the Cubs. They are in a tough division though. Wood, Lieber, Sosa, McGriff, Alou...sky's the limit.

The Rockies were atleast trying when they picked up some ground ball pitchers..but they didn't think that ground ball pitchers can't throw their ground ball pitches as effectively when they don't sink in the thin air. They need power pitchers and/or pitchers with great change of speeds..Breaking stuff won't work..

- Tell me about it.

-Not strong enough.

He should not be allowed to play baseball ever again. He is horrible. An unnamed GM said it best, "Derek Bell lives on a boat, and steals money, he's the perfect Pirate." Yes, he lives on a boat.

-Probably the best team in the NL

So many good teams this year. Every good team has big questions though. I would put money on Cardinals or Yankees..

Yanks
Indians
A's
Texas

Mets
Cardinals
Arizona
Cubs

Who knows from there.

I Ate My Hamster
03-21-2002, 05:42 AM

</font>

He is way to young to count out yet.

I Ate My Hamster
03-21-2002, 05:51 AM
<font color=#007AAA>
</font>

The thing is the Mets know when to trade prospects when their trade value is way above their substance. Escobar is a free swinging, career 4th outfielder with no baseball instincts...Indians thought he was worth Alomar...Riggan will be a big pickup for Cleveland though.

The Mets have killed their farm system at the top levels. But they have done it in a very productive way. They have done a great job stocking their lower levels and in a year or two should have one of the best farm systems around. Phillips is trying to become more like the A's. Another plus is that Phillips is one of the few "Sabermetric" GM's in the majors..On base + Slugging is much more valuble than average.

I Ate My Hamster
03-21-2002, 06:05 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Yeah now that I think about it, the Mets never had anyone that was from the system on their teams the last few years...I didn't know that about Escobar. I always read good things about him in prospect reports. That shows you how much they know.

</font>

Payton
Alfonzo
Perez
Ordonez
Agbayani

And don't believe ModernCheeze about Escobar. Escobar has been only a september callup and hasn't really had a shot at the majors.

Basically what the Mets did here was..tell the world that Steve Traschel was actually Pedro Martinez and trading him for Randy Johnson..Guess you can call it Prospect Laundering?

I Ate My Hamster
03-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Brad..I can't stand some of your opinions on baseball. This Matt Reeder guy is alright though..

jenniferkate
03-21-2002, 12:56 PM
<font color=#007AAA>
20. BOSTON RED SOX! YAY!
</font>
</font>

no!

ModernCheeze
03-21-2002, 03:15 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by I Ate My Hamster:
Payton
Alfonzo
Perez
Ordonez
Agbayani</font>

Some of these aren't really Mets homegrown, despite the fact they broke into the Majors with the Mets. Agbayani and Perez both played in Japan before coming over to the Mets...would you consider Ichiro a Seatle home grown talent?

As for the other three, only Payton is a recent homegrown acquisiton...Alfonzo and Ordonez have both played for a good while now..I belive the reference wasto the Mets throwing away their CURRENT homegrown talent, which they have little (although I agree, losing Riggan was a blow).

And don't believe ModernCheeze about Escobar. Escobar has been only a september callup and hasn't really had a shot at the majors.</font>

Didn't you just say that Escobar was a freeswinging career 4th outfielder? Escobar has been the great farm hope of the Mets for years, and I think his moment has passed. As a Met fan, I'm more than happy to see him go for Alomar.

------------------
-JJ

Mark LeDrew
03-21-2002, 03:24 PM
The Phillies will surprise you all.

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/kid.jpg

This is just a modern rock song,
This is just a sorry lament,
We're four boys in our corduroys,
We're not terrific but we're competent.

Nate the Grate
03-21-2002, 04:25 PM
Let's take a look at the Red Sox and Yankees lineups side by side

C- Varitek vs. Posada- Varitek wins. Posada is weak defensively. Tek is one of the best catchers in the league.
1B- Clark vs. Johnson- Clark wins.
2B- Soriano vs. Offerman- hmmm...Soriano's young, Offerman's had a great spring. tough one.
3B- Hillenbrand vs. Ventura- Ventura's past his prime. Hillenbrand's an emerging solid player. Hilldenbrand gets the win.
SS- Garciaparra vs. Jeter- I can't stand Derek Jeter. he's overrated. Nomar wins.
LF- Ramirez vs. White- no question. Manny is better.
CF- Damon vs. Williams- both good. I say tie.
RF- Nixon vs. Spencer- Trot's my favorite player. he's a real baseball player. He gets the win.
DH- Daubach vs. Giambi- yeah yeah, Giambi wins.

<u>Red Sox rotation</u>
Martinez
Hermanson
Burkett
Lowe
Castillo/Oliver

<u>Yankees rotation</u>
Clemens
Mussina
O. Hernandez
Pettite
Lily

Sox win. hands down. Clemens is old. he should not have been the Cy Young winner last year.

ADVANTAGE- BOSTON

------------------
http://www.rbibaseball.com/images/player-bo.gif

Jaggie
03-21-2002, 05:40 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nate the Grate:
Let's take a look at the Red Sox and Yankees lineups side by side

C- Varitek vs. Posada- Varitek wins. Posada is weak defensively. Tek is one of the best catchers in the league.
1B- Clark vs. Johnson- Clark wins.
2B- Soriano vs. Offerman- hmmm...Soriano's young, Offerman's had a great spring. tough one.
3B- Hillenbrand vs. Ventura- Ventura's past his prime. Hillenbrand's an emerging solid player. Hilldenbrand gets the win.
SS- Garciaparra vs. Jeter- I can't stand Derek Jeter. he's overrated. Nomar wins.
LF- Ramirez vs. White- no question. Manny is better.
CF- Damon vs. Williams- both good. I say tie.
RF- Nixon vs. Spencer- Trot's my favorite player. he's a real baseball player. He gets the win.
DH- Daubach vs. Giambi- yeah yeah, Giambi wins.

<u>Red Sox rotation</u>
Martinez
Hermanson
Burkett
Lowe
Castillo/Oliver

<u>Yankees rotation</u>
Clemens
Mussina
O. Hernandez
Pettite
Lily

Sox win. hands down. Clemens is old. he should not have been the Cy Young winner last year.

ADVANTAGE- BOSTON
</font>

Wow, you're an idiot. I like how because someone is your favorite player it makes them better. Lets take a logical look at the rundown now:

Catcher - Last I checked Varitek only played 51 games last year. Lets see him come back and do something before you claim him as being better than Posada (who may I add is an All Star catcher).

1B - First off, Giambi is on first. Even with Johnson on first though, its not clear cut for the Sox. Johnson is probably the most touted prospect, anticipated as the frontrunner for rookie of the year. Clark is established, but would you call him a power hitter? He had only 75 RBI and 16 HR last year. This one is close.

2B - No contest. Soriano was runner up rookie of the year. He steals bases like crazy, has cleaned up defensively, shows power and has good baseball instinct. His main problem (strikeouts/plate discipline) is something that is easily correctable and comes with age/maturity. Offerman is a mediocre player at best.

SS - Hate to break it to you, even when Nomar is healthy, Jeter is better. That said, Nomar was out the entire season last year. Lets see what he does come April and then we can decide. Regardless, Nomar and Jeter are 2 of the 3 best SS in the league. I give this to the Yanks based on Nomar's injury.

3B - This one is close. Ventura is slumping, but he's still an amazing player. Hillenbrand is no prodigy. He put up deplorable numbers last year. Basically it's the best of the worst here.

LF - I'll give that to you.

CF - Not even close! Bernie is one of the best CF in the game. Damon had a horrible year last year. Unless he can get on base more often and move himself over with a good amount of SB, Yanks take this category by a landslide.

RF - I'll give it to you because although SPencer shows flashes of power he's inconsistant. VanderWal isn't anything that special.

DH - No contest. At least you admitted that. (This holds true considering Johnson will most likely DH).

Pitchers:

You have 1 stud coming off a season ending injury (and who is apparently showing stiffness in his spring outings). You have a 5th starter who is a converted closer. You have a couple people thrown together to resemble a bullpen.

No, just no.

For the Yanks, lets see. We have last year's Cy Young winner, who even I will admit wont do as well this year, but Clemens is still going to win 15-18 games. Mussina is one of the finest pitchers in the game. Pettitte is a stud. David Wells is a repeated 20 game winner who has lost weight, still a wild card though (as is Sterling Hitch****). El Duque has had an amazing spring and looks to regain his from from 2-3 years ago. Its funny that you didn't mention the bullpen in your original post. Because we basically own you. You have Urbina who is pretty good. We have the best closer in the game being setup by an All Star in Stanton, as well as solid relivers in Mendoza, Karsay, and Choate.

ADVANTAGE, AL EAST, ALDS, ALCS, WS CHAMPS - NY YANKEES

Game. Set. Match.

------------------

raindrops + sunshowers
03-21-2002, 08:01 PM
long, pro-Yankees post </font>

You're optimistic as hell.

I Ate My Hamster
03-22-2002, 03:34 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ModernCheeze:
Didn't you just say that Escobar was a freeswinging career 4th outfielder? Escobar has been the great farm hope of the Mets for years, and I think his moment has passed. As a Met fan, I'm more than happy to see him go for Alomar.

</font>

Yes, he is a free swinging career 4th outfielder. The reason why Indians are high on him is because they believe overwise. He hasn't had a chance at all really in the majors. But he had been awful in AAA.

He had been hyped as the great farm help for the Mets. But it became obvious that he isn't going to amount to those expectations and Phillips did the right thing and used him when his trade value was at his all-time highest and suckered Cleveland into giving up Alomar. Great move.

I Ate My Hamster
03-22-2002, 03:39 AM
Yeah, some of you are way to optimistic about your own favorite team.

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-22-2002, 03:40 AM
He is way to young to count out yet.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>Yeah, Mark Wohlers just bounced back from similar control problems.

The kid is fucked, Wayne. He can't throw with confidence ever again.

------------------

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-22-2002, 03:43 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by matt reeder:
Absolutely. Remember the name Carlos Pena.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>I already know it. I can't believe the Rangers lost him. They're running a Mickey Mouse outfit over there.

------------------

jenniferkate
03-22-2002, 03:48 AM
Yeah, some of you are way to optimistic about your own favorite team.</font>

(but that's what makes it fun)

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-22-2002, 03:57 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Nate the Grate:
Clemens is old. he should not have been the Cy Young winner last year.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED? THE MAN DIDN'T LOSE A GAME UNTIL AUGUST. Do you expect Cy Young winners to throw no-hitters every game?

If you don't count his potential, yes Offerman is "better" than Soriano. But not by much. Offerman is lucky to be playing every day on a team like the Red Sox.

I don't see how you think Derek Jeter is "over-rated", he's a much better fielder than Nomar and they are the same level of hitter. But I'd still take Nomar over Jeter and even A-Rod for his passion and his love.

I don't know what alternate reality you live in where Damon Buford is as good as Bernie Williams. I find this so humorous, I shall leave it in my signature all season long.

------------------
"CF- Damon vs. Williams- both good. I say tie." -- Nate the Grate

[This message has been edited by Mr. Rhinoceros (edited 03-22-2002).]

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-22-2002, 04:05 AM
SPencer shows flashes of power he's inconsistant.</font>

<font color=#007AAA>You're drunk. Just because the guy hit a cluch homer or two doesn't make him a good batter. The motherfucker can't hit righties, and lefties who can't hit righties are only good in clutch situations. Which doesn't make him better than Trot Nixon, one of the few hard working blue-collar hustle ball players left. Trotty-Trot-Trot-Trot.

------------------

I Ate My Hamster
03-22-2002, 04:12 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Yeah, Mark Wohlers just bounced back from similar control problems.

The kid is fucked, Wayne. He can't throw with confidence ever again.
</font>

I still think he can. The man is 22 years old. They brought him up when he was 20, which in my opinion was a big mistake, especially when he was labeled as a potential head case if not treated carefully.
Most potential "ace" pitchers are usually given until the age of 25 to start making some kind of major progress towards being an ace. As far as I'm concerned keeping him in AAA for three years isn't the worst thing you can for him. I think they should seriously keep him in the minors this year and the next, maybe even AA. Cardinals tend to rush their prospects..

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-22-2002, 05:09 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Dude, he throws wildly every time he pitches. He was demoted all the way down to single A if I recall, and he didn't even play that much. This is not the normal bump on the road to stardom, he thinks a tingling in his feet on the day he lost his control is the cause of it. He thinks he's cursed. He's FUCKED.

Perhaps he should hook up with Turk Wendell.

------------------
"CF- Damon (Buford) vs. (Bernie) Williams- both good. I say tie." -- Nate the Grate

I Ate My Hamster
03-22-2002, 05:20 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Dude, he throws wildly every time he pitches. He was demoted all the way down to single A if I recall, and he didn't even play that much. This is not the normal bump on the road to stardom, he thinks a tingling in his feet on the day he lost his control is the cause of it. He thinks he's cursed. He's FUCKED.

Perhaps he should hook up with Turk Wendell.
</font>

I just can't see a guy that throws high-90's great curve and great change of speeds just wasting away to nothing. Could you imagine being a 26 year old left handed bus boy with a 98mph fastball.

Nate the Grate
03-22-2002, 07:36 PM
<font color=#007AAA>ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED? THE MAN DIDN'T LOSE A GAME UNTIL AUGUST. Do you expect Cy Young winners to throw no-hitters every game?

If you don't count his potential, yes Offerman is "better" than Soriano. But not by much. Offerman is lucky to be playing every day on a team like the Red Sox.

I don't see how you think Derek Jeter is "over-rated", he's a much better fielder than Nomar and they are the same level of hitter. But I'd still take Nomar over Jeter and even A-Rod for his passion and his love.

I don't know what alternate reality you live in where Damon Buford is as good as Bernie Williams. I find this so humorous, I shall leave it in my signature all season long.

</font>

1. Clemens had lots of run support, okay ERA. if I find my Baseball Digest with the Cy Young stats I'll post more anti-Clemens
2. Nomar makes more errors because he goes after balls Jeter doesn't touch.
3. ...JOHNNY DAMON. NOT DAMON BUFORD!

by the way, no one should take my post seriously. there is so much Sox bias it isn't funny.

------------------
http://www.rbibaseball.com/images/player-bo.gif

Mr. Rhinoceros
03-23-2002, 01:34 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Damon Buford is funnier.

------------------
"CF- Damon (Buford) vs. (Bernie) Williams- both good. I say tie."

I Ate My Hamster
03-23-2002, 04:10 AM
<font color=#007AAA>Damon Buford is funnier.

</font>

Jay Payton is even funnier.

That fuck.