View Full Version : olympic bitching topic #3: CRYING BECAUSE YOU GOT A SILVER MEDAL!!!


pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:29 PM
oh boo hoo. you're only second best IN THE WHOLE FREAKING WORLD!!!1

oh, and a note on pairs skating, fuck that. russia deserved to win gold. because i almost fell asleep during canada's "flawlessly boring" performance and they looked so fucking smug whislt skating. and that stupid woman on the canada team was crying at the podium getting her silver.

i'll bump this thread again when canada wins silver in either mens' or women's hockey.

------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a fa<g>g</g>got, not unless you are a friend!

Eulogy
02-12-2002, 03:31 PM
You wouldn't be upset if you got fucking second place?

I think that would suck.

What would really suck would be getting fourth place. ouch

beever
02-12-2002, 03:32 PM
Canada sucks, indeed http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:32 PM
no i WOULDN'T be upset if i got second place. id' be like FUCK YES! SECOND BEST IN THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD! I AM QUEEN SHIT! it would rule.

plus silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.

------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

Eulogy
02-12-2002, 03:34 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
no i WOULDN'T be upset if i got second place. id' be like FUCK YES! SECOND BEST IN THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD! I AM QUEEN SHIT! it would rule.

</font>

Well, I'd be disappointed.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Eulogy:
Well, I'd be disappointed.

</font>


wow. you must be american.
MUST BE NUMBER ONE AT EVERYTHING!!!!!1

oh silver just sucks donkey's balls, indeed. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif


------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

smiling politely
02-12-2002, 03:36 PM
Of course there's nothing wrong with a silver medal - except if you really do deserve better. I'm sorry, the Russians were clearly not as good. They were great, but not #1. Saying "stop complaining, second is pretty good" isn't fair. They totally deserved that gold medal. It's different in hockey where it isn't judged and you either win or you lose.

Eulogy
02-12-2002, 03:38 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:

wow. you must be american.
MUST BE NUMBER ONE AT EVERYTHING!!!!!1

oh silver just sucks donkey's balls, indeed. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif


</font>

um

k

I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with silver...I'd just be disappointed that I didn't get gold. I think most people would.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:38 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
Of course there's nothing wrong with a silver medal - except if you really do deserve better. I'm sorry, the Russians were clearly not as good. They were great, but not #1. Saying "stop complaining, second is pretty good" isn't fair. They totally deserved that gold medal. It's different in hockey where it isn't judged and you either win or you lose.</font>


DUDE.
the canadian's routine was B-O-R-I-N-G. i lost interest well into it and it just went on and on and on. they didn't impress me at all. russia all the way. that was an extreme performance. arguing this is as useless as arguing dubya vs. gore ca. a year ago. i won't bother.

but whining about a silver is fucking pathetic. be glad you're good enough to be in the olymjpics.


------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:40 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Eulogy:
I'm not saying I wouldn't be happy with silver...I'd just be disappointed that I didn't get gold. I think most people would.</font>

well i'd see why americans would whine about not getting gold, for sure. but what the fuck? IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING TIN THAT WILL BE MEANINGLESS BY THE NEXT OLYMPICS.

smiling politely
02-12-2002, 03:42 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:

DUDE.
the canadian's routine was B-O-R-I-N-G. i lost interest well into it and it just went on and on and on. they didn't impress me at all. russia all the way. that was an extreme performance. </font>

Oh well, I disagree. So does everyone who was in the audience. But, yeah -

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">arguing this is as useless as arguing dubya vs. gore ca. a year ago. i won't bother.</font>

Eulogy
02-12-2002, 03:44 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING TIN THAT WILL BE MEANINGLESS BY THE NEXT OLYMPICS.

</font>

Ok, now I see that there's absolutely no point in arguing with you.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:44 PM
whatever.
some people are just so desperate for canada to get gold that they'll whine about anything.

boring. BORING!

Graveflower
02-12-2002, 03:44 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
well i'd see why americans would whine about not getting gold, for sure. but what the fuck? IT'S A PIECE OF FUCKING TIN THAT WILL BE MEANINGLESS BY THE NEXT OLYMPICS.

</font>

You're making a big deal out of said "piece of fucking tin" yourself, though, aren't you?

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 03:45 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:

DUDE.
the canadian's routine was B-O-R-I-N-G. i lost interest well into it and it just went on and on and on. they didn't impress me at all. russia all the way. that was an extreme performance. arguing this is as useless as arguing dubya vs. gore ca. a year ago. i won't bother.

but whining about a silver is fucking pathetic. be glad you're good enough to be in the olymjpics.


</font>


seems the entire crowd disagreed with you. Everyone else seems to feel the candians should have one, but got screwed out of it because of block voting. Telling them to be happy with second is a bit of a kick in the balls when they everyone else feels they should have won.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:46 PM
no. i'm just really fucking embarrassed that my whole fucking country is crying about this.

THE RUSSIANS WERE BETTAR!

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 03:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
no. i'm just really fucking embarrassed that my whole fucking country is crying about this.

THE RUSSIANS WERE BETTAR!

</font>

Well thats just the thing. EVERYONE BUT YOU THINKS DIFFERENT. and its not just canada, NBC and the BBC were also saying figure skating judging needs to be cleaned up.

besides, the canadians were flawless, while the russian guy landed a double axel on two feet. thats big, but the judges ignored it.

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 03:54 PM
e <font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
whatever.
some people are just so desperate for canada to get gold that they'll whine about anything.

boring. BORING!</font>

if its so boring, why the fuck do you care so much?

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
Well thats just the thing. EVERYONE BUT YOU THINKS DIFFERENT. </font>

not the judges, and that actually counts!



------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

Lie
02-12-2002, 03:55 PM
I would only be upset because that would be something that would happen to me. Not in a serious way, just in a, "Yep, I would've come this close," kind of way. But I see your point.

And yes, silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.

------------------
Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 03:57 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
if its so boring, why the fuck do you care so much? </font>


because i'm sick of seeing everyone thinking the canadians should've got it.

it was about whiny babies who cry about silver medals in general. i used that as an example.
like i said, i'll be back on topic when canada wins silver in hockey in either sex.

PhantomFM
02-12-2002, 04:03 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
no i WOULDN'T be upset if i got second place. id' be like FUCK YES! SECOND BEST IN THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD! I AM QUEEN SHIT! it would rule.</font>

haha- I'd be overjoyed for a bronze. Either way you get one medal, you get in history books, you get recognized by your country and remembered. It's not like other sports where second and third place get forgotten. hell I have a better chance of remembering a 4th-20th place American than a gold medal winning german

------------------
PhantomFM (http://www.unc.edu/~lawsonb)

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 04:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by PhantomFM:
haha- I'd be overjoyed for a bronze.
</font>

bronze also fucking rules!
you should feel honoured that you've even fucking qualified.

Crippler
02-12-2002, 04:07 PM
<font color="aquamarine">Half the fun of sports is the competitiveness...Unfortunately, some times it goes overboard, and situations like this happen.

That said, I agree with Shaunna.

It's true, it's true.

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 04:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
not the judges, and that actually counts!

</font>

well of cource thats what counts. The point is, the canadians have a valid complaint. They didn't mess anything up, the russians did. the problem is that figure skating has been plauged by biased judging for years, and no one likes to lose because of biased judging.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 04:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
well of cource thats what counts. The point is, the canadians have a valid complaint. They didn't mess anything up, the russians did. the problem is that figure skating has been plauged by biased judging for years, and no one likes to lose because of biased judging.

</font>

perfection isn't always a good thing, dear.
that's why they won a wickedass silver.

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 04:15 PM
see, when you're consistantly the best in the world at something, and then you get screwed by biased judging, its hard to console yourself by saying "at least we made it to the olympics". They are competitive people, and they have every right to be disapointed with their results. Whats wrong with wanting to be best in the world at something?

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 04:17 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
perfection isn't always a good thing, dear.
that's why they won a wickedass silver.

</font>


what the fuck? in a competition like this, perfection isn't the most important thing, its the only thing. They were technicaly better, and emotionaly better. again, what the fuck are you talking about?

smiling politely
02-12-2002, 04:17 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
you should feel honoured that you've even fucking qualified.

</font>

Yes, but you're also entitled to expect that you'll be recognized and rewarded appropriately for your performance.

Nate the Grate
02-12-2002, 04:26 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crippler:
<font color="aquamarine">Half the fun of sports is the competitiveness...Unfortunately, some times it goes overboard, and situations like this happen.

</font>

</font color>dude, don't you like wrestling?

ravenguy2000
02-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Crying because you got a Silver Medal is stupid. *nods*

PhantomFM
02-12-2002, 04:39 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
Yes, but you're also entitled to expect that you'll be recognized and rewarded appropriately for your performance.
</font>

fuck the gold, yo. The silver medal is the bombdiggityshiznit, jigga! All the gold medal does is make you more susceptible to being struck by lighting, standing high on that podium and all. And speaking of standing high on that podium, doesn't the SILVER MEDALIST in the snowboarding competition look high as hell all the time? I mean he was listening to AC/DC during his SILVER MEDAL run, for god's sake. ROCK

------------------
PhantomFM (http://www.unc.edu/~lawsonb)

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 04:40 PM
christ, do people here not understand what it means to be competitive? if they had skated worse than the russians they wouldn't have any reason to complain. But they put the last 4 years of their life into this competition, and they finished second THROUGH NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. I repeat, if they had skated worse than the russians, they would have no right to complain. But they didn't. They skated better, and therefore should have won.
I don't see whats wrong with trying to be best at something.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Lets clear this up :

Winning silver when you did your best, but were out performed : Nothing to complain about, you should be happy.


Winning Silver when you did your best AND WERE BETTER THAN EVERYONE ELSE BUT GOT SCREWED BY QUESTIONABLE JUDGING : you have every right to be pissed off.


some people don't like taking things lying down when they are in the right. And when you're talking about a place in history and tens of thousands of dollars in sponsorship money to be lost, they have a right to be pissed.

So very sad about me
02-12-2002, 04:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:


plus silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.

</font>

Exactly!!!! I hate gold! HATE HATE HATE. Silver (and platinum http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif) are much nicer


------------------
http://www.wsu.edu/~swinn/sex.gif
You want to sleep with common people like me (http://smampy.livejournal.com)

ZERO
02-12-2002, 05:00 PM
same shit happened in Calgary in '88. although i didn't see the actual performance, i did see the reaction of the crowd, and that was one upset reaction. that has to say something about the situation.

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 05:02 PM
For anyone who doesn't think there was anything done wrong by the judges :

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
The International Skating Union announced Tuesday an inquiry would be launched into the judging.
The ISU made a statement which read: “Following the reaction of the public and the media to the results of the pairs event at the Salt Lake Ice Center last night, and to respect public opinion, the ISU is doing an internal assessment to monitor if the ISU rules and procedures have been respected.
“Any further comment will be given when appropriate.”
The ISU made its statement after a routine judges’ meeting to look back at Monday’s voting.
There might be changes in the sport because of the decision, longtime coach Frank Carroll said.
“This is the worst thing that’s happened in a long time in figure skating,” said Carroll, who was Linda Fratianne’s coach in 1980, when Fratianne lost the gold medal to East Germany’s Anett Potzch amid allegations of judges trading votes along political lines.
</font>

The exploding boy
02-12-2002, 05:09 PM
Wow....suddenly i am reminded the name Sylvie frechette....

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:10 PM
their sponsorship is anything BUT fucked due to this fiasco.

they're getting worldwide attention.
it's probably better, in that sense, that they got silver. more exposure.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:17 PM
oh well face it. canada gets most of its stars out of controversy. ben johnson. ross regabliati. and these two here. then elvis stojko and donovan bailey just fuck up after doing great in their knee or soemthing.

Mayfuck
02-12-2002, 05:19 PM
I for one will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian's performance. The Canadian performance was pretty fun too. The Canadian performance was flawless, but the Russian performance was beautiful. I was moved to tears by the Russian performance in fact. And I expected the Canadians to win, however I was extremely pleased when the Russians won, because I LOVED their performance. In fact during parts of it I even said out loud, quite spontaneously "Beautiful. Simply Gorgeous. Wow." The commentators themselves said at one point that the Russian program was very difficult, choreography etc, and the Canadian program was much simpler and easier.

That said, I think everyone knows Canada probably should have one. But in many ways it is a subjective sport and there really is no *should*. Plus the Russian girl was fucking beautiful. I was like in love with her. And the Canadian girl was a snotty bitch. I couldn't stand her. And the Russians knew too that they didn't deserve a gold. All in all an uncomfortable situation for everybody. Etc. I probably would have cried too. It's not simply the idea "oh I got silver" it's the utter shock and the let-down. You saw everyone after they skated. "oh well they just won and they know it". Well they didn't win and it must have been unbelievably shocking. Anyways, so you have to feel bad for everybody basically.

I will once again repeat that I preferred the Russian performance a thousand times over and was hoping the Canadians would mess up. They had the most unbelievable spins and lifts and...i don't know. It was so graceful and pretty.

Anywyas, that all said, what the fuck is your problem Shaunna? Why the fuck do you keep bringing up Americans? You have no fucking reason to do that. How idiotically irrelevant.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:22 PM
you said exactly how i felt about the russians' performance.
the anti-american sentiment was made because i was in a pissy mood.

------------------
- shaunna.

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon8.gif don't call glenn a f4ggot, not unless you are a friend!

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 05:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
plus silver's a hell of a lot prettier than gold.</font>

I think this pretty much puts your weak "argument" in perspective.

You obviously know nothing (as I don't) about technical complexity of Sale and Pelletier's performance (that's their names, they're representing your country, if you're going to bitch about them, learn their names at least).

And if it was THAT boring to you, you could've . . . CHANGED THE CHANNEL! *shock*

Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media. You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria.

I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:25 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
I think this pretty much puts your weak "argument" in perspective.

You obviously know nothing (as I don't) about technical complexity of Sale and Pelletier's performance (that's their names, they're representing your country, if you're going to bitch about them, learn their names at least).

And if it was THAT boring to you, you could've . . . CHANGED THE CHANNEL! *shock*

Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media. You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria.

I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.</font>

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif what more did i expect.
i'm just stirring up shit, obviously. i mean, i don't fucking care about their names. all i know is i personally preferred the russians and silver is not bad at all.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 05:27 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
For anyone who doesn't think there was anything done wrong by the judges :
{ISU Quote}
</font>

buTT d00D!
It wuz soooo b-0-rr-ing!

(Just inserting the anticipated response, so we can hopefully move this along to some intelligent analysis, should someone be able to provide some -- I could quote off the innumberable people on TV rushing to their defence, but we can all turn on CBC ourselves.)

ravenguy2000
02-12-2002, 05:28 PM
WHo gives a fuck about the actual skating? Where there any funny commercials in between?

------------------
http://ravenguy98.homestead.com/files/Factory.jpg

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:30 PM
i watched the whole performance to see what the big deal was about. it wasn't as complex as the russians' routine and just looked... well... stagnant in comparison.

but hey they got exposure. they'll always be known as "those canadians who deserved it." more than they could ask for if they had won that oh-so-coveted gold.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:30 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ravenguy2000:
WHo gives a fuck about the actual skating? Where there any funny commercials in between?

</font>

just more of those CANADA SCORES AGAINST FINLAND!!!!1 bell canada commericals.

melancholia
02-12-2002, 05:31 PM
i would want silver over gold...just because silver looks nicer...

did anyone see that woman who skated on a broken foot? i felt so bad for her...

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 05:34 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mayfuck:
I for one will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the Russian's performance. The Canadian performance was pretty fun too. The Canadian performance was flawless, but the Russian performance was beautiful. I was moved to tears by the Russian performance in fact. And I expected the Canadians to win, however I was extremely pleased when the Russians won, because I LOVED their performance. In fact during parts of it I even said out loud, quite spontaneously "Beautiful. Simply Gorgeous. Wow." The commentators themselves said at one point that the Russian program was very difficult, choreography etc, and the Canadian program was much simpler and easier.

That said, I think everyone knows Canada probably should have one. But in many ways it is a subjective sport and there really is no *should*. Plus the Russian girl was fucking beautiful. I was like in love with her. And the Canadian girl was a snotty bitch. I couldn't stand her. And the Russians knew too that they didn't deserve a gold. All in all an uncomfortable situation for everybody. Etc. I probably would have cried too. It's not simply the idea "oh I got silver" it's the utter shock and the let-down. You saw everyone after they skated. "oh well they just won and they know it". Well they didn't win and it must have been unbelievably shocking. Anyways, so you have to feel bad for everybody basically.

I will once again repeat that I preferred the Russian performance a thousand times over and was hoping the Canadians would mess up. They had the most unbelievable spins and lifts and...i don't know. It was so graceful and pretty.

Anywyas, that all said, what the fuck is your problem Shaunna? Why the fuck do you keep bringing up Americans? You have no fucking reason to do that. How idiotically irrelevant.</font>

again, i think the problem was that the russians messed up one of the landings, which in a competition as close as this, means everything.



------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 05:44 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
but hey they got exposure. they'll always be known as "those canadians who deserved it." more than they could ask for if they had won that oh-so-coveted gold.</font>

Right!

Because that's JUST what they wanted: EXPOSURE!

If they wanted exposure, they'd have pulled a Harding/Kerrigan fiasco.

On the program being boring: If you actually take the time to listen (or happen to know the storyline of Love Story), the performance really moves quite nicely along the story with a lot of well done imagery.

It deserved gold -- but there's nothing they could've done differently to accomplish that. They were flawless. I think it's all best accentuated by the forced smile the Russian woman was giving on the podium, and the stunned look of the man. THEY knew they shouldn't have won.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:45 PM
exposure
=
sponsors.
all a sportsman needs, in the long run.
and hey, it makes them work even harder to do even better than their best in their next competition.

and they will always be champions to us, right?

Delta
02-12-2002, 05:46 PM
a) figure skating isnt a sport.

b) if i trained my whole life for one moment, gave it everything i had, and it still wasnt good enough, i think id cry on the podium too. whether i think figure skating is a valid life purpose or not, i think if you put that sort of devotion into something how could you *not* be devestated when you find out you're not the best in the world?

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:47 PM
because the world is a big place. we can't always win. and that drives us to try even harder, i suppose.

fuck, i don't even like sports. i was cheering for japan at skiing at one point yesterday.

PhantomFM
02-12-2002, 05:49 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
And if it was THAT boring to you, you could've . . . CHANGED THE CHANNEL! *shock*
</font>

irrelevant

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Stop playing armchair quarterback, if you think you can do a better job. The people who can intelligently analyze these things are in the media.[/quote

Hilarious!!!

You're ranting about one aspect ceaselessly on Netphoria. I understand you want to seem rebellious and different, but at least try to be intelligent when doing so.[/B]</font>

she's ranting about them ranting about it! And lighten up a bit! Saying humorously that the silver medal FuKiNgRuLZ doesn't equate to proclaiming one's self a figure skating expert

------------------
PhantomFM (http://www.unc.edu/~lawsonb)

meow
02-12-2002, 05:52 PM
I was watching that last night on the news... they were like "are they going to file a petition for the bad judging?" i was like oh yeah you did so fucking bad! 2nd best! so what! at least you came in first among the losers! that IS an accomplishment!

but seriously... who cares, its still awesome... get over it.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 05:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
because the world is a big place.</font>

What's funny is all this is coming from the person who was crying and carrying on about "not deserving" to be the first in line at the fucking autograph session.

If that kind of insignificance sends you into the throughs of emotion, why the FUCK can't you understand about the disappointment about not coming first in front of the entire world while representing your country?

Human Replica Droid
02-12-2002, 05:54 PM
I agree with Shaunna. Crying because you got the silver is only appropriate when you've gotten silver before and it was your last chance to win gold. Then it's sad and I'd cry, too.

I agree that silver is way prettier than gold.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 05:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
What's funny is all this is coming from the person who was crying and carrying on about "not deserving" to be the first in line at the fucking autograph session.

If that kind of insignificance sends you into the throughs of emotion, why the FUCK can't you understand about the disappointment about not coming first in front of the entire world while representing your country?</font>


http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif
SO two years ago.
oh so you don't like me because of insignificant things when you don't even know me personally... really, get over yourself. oh but just disagreeing and nitpicking everything i say and basing conclusions after meeting me once is really going to make you feel better about yourself.



[This message has been edited by pale_princess (edited 02-12-2002).]

tweedyburd
02-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Julian has laid it all out for you cretins and none of you really get it.

Figure skating is competition based on, above all, accuracy. The judges cannot place thier subjective opinion into their scorecards because emotional response is relative. What they can do (and are supposed to do) is judge based on how clean, precise, and elequent the performance was in terms of being technically accurate.

It's been repeated several times, but the Russians really fucked up on a couple doubles and the Canadians were flawless. It'd be interesting to set up a split screen of the performances and see just how more technically accurate the Canadians were in comparison...

I briefly saw a CNN program today that had several unbiased skating analysts discussing this whole thing, and each and every one of them were completely dumfounded as to why the Russians were given the edge on the score card.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
oh so you don't like me because of insignificant things when you don't even know me personally... really, get over yourself. oh but just disagreeing and nitpicking everything i say and basing conclusions after meeting me once is really going to make you feel better about yourself.</font>

Say what?

What makes you think that what I'm saying has anything to do with your fabricated notion of my disdain for you?

Don't flatter yourself, I couldn't give two shits about you. I'm not keeping score, but if I had to bet, I'd say I was in disagreement with you about most things we've both entered into discussion about on here -- so what? Anyone who doesn't share your opinion loathes you?

Get over yourself. Honestly. Spend some time away from Netphoria.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 06:10 PM
it's not a fabricated notion if you're petty enough to bring up something completely irrelevant as a personal attack on me when the point at hand is missed.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
it's not a fabricated notion if you're petty enough to bring up something completely irrelevant as a personal attack on me when the point at hand is missed.</font>

Okay. I hate you. Happy?

Now, back to my POINT: You could be emotional about THAT, but you can't understand how something of this magnitude would cause the skaters and their fans upset.

Makes sense to me.
You've clearly won this argument. Silver medal for you (because it's prettier).

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 06:15 PM
it's all about being NINETEEN and thinking selfishly at the time.

oo! people fucking change!

not to you though... nopenopenope...

ZERO
02-12-2002, 06:15 PM
i just saw it on CBC, it was rad. if only i could see that russian performance. but in all honesty, that run was so serene and just went by so smoothly.

emm. yeh.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:19 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
it's all about being NINETEEN </font>

You're right.
You've clearly matured so much since then. You're quite the big girl, now.

(By the way, I don't see how you'd construe a simple observation as a "personal attack." You're STILL missing the point, or perhaps don't wish to concede it.)

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 06:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
You're right.
You've clearly matured so much since then. You're quite the big girl, now.
</font>

well you obviously know, since you know me oh so personally.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:25 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
well you obviously know, since you know me oh so personally.</font>

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
You're STILL missing the point, or perhaps don't wish to concede it.</font>

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 06:27 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
</font>

fine.
the point is they had no mistakes.
obviously there was some bribing going on.
with all the media attention that is going on, it gives pelletier and that jamie chick a lot of noteriety (sp?). they're investigating this, and will probably hand canada over the gold medal. thus, controversy working in their favour.

Graveflower
02-12-2002, 06:29 PM
autumnNOCTURNE sucks ass. He gives you other Canucks a bad name.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
fine.
the point is they had no mistakes.</font>

That wasn't MY point. But let's move on.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">obviously there was some bribing going on.</font>

I think the reasons are more innocent than that. I'm thinking along the lines of over/under compensation in terms of what some judges were expecting the outcome to be.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">and will probably hand canada over the gold medal. thus, controversy working in their favour.</font>

I find that possibility highly unlikely.

I think we can agree on one thing, though: it must suck to be the Russians right now having their win cast aside like that. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. If they feel they deserved it (which they may or may not), I'd bet they're furious.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 06:33 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
autumnNOCTURNE sucks ass. He gives you other Canucks a bad name.</font>

I'm like Netphoria's Gold medal!

Thanks, fuckwit!

meow
02-12-2002, 06:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Graveflower:
autumnNOCTURNE sucks ass. He gives you other Canucks a bad name.</font>

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 06:35 PM
silver's a great accomplishment in my books. i'd be proud just to have my kid qualifying for the olympics.
the whole argument really is as futile as gore vs. dubya was last year, really.

but i digress. that was a poor example of the "don't cry over silver" argument.
remember in 88 how happy everyone was that liz manley won silver? gah.

Eulogy
02-12-2002, 07:01 PM
wow

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Sale and Pelletier will be on Leno tonight.

Now I REALLY feel bad for the Russians.

This has all gotten way out of hand.

pale_princess
02-12-2002, 07:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
Sale and Pelletier will be on Leno tonight.

Now I REALLY feel bad for the Russians.

This has all gotten way out of hand.</font>

whoa.

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 08:05 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
silver's a great accomplishment in my books. i'd be proud just to have my kid qualifying for the olympics.
the whole argument really is as futile as gore vs. dubya was last year, really.

but i digress. that was a poor example of the "don't cry over silver" argument.
remember in 88 how happy everyone was that liz manley won silver? gah.</font>

Jesus... how many times do i have to make this point.
IF THEY DIDN'T DESERVE GOLD, EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH SILVER.
but they deserved gold, and they got screwed out of it because of questionable judging. if they have a single competitive bone in thier body, they should be mad about it.
I think they're taking it better than most of the media to be honest, but I think the media is also amplifying it because they want a good controversy.

smiling politely
02-12-2002, 08:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
Jesus... how many times do i have to make this point.
IF THEY DIDN'T DESERVE GOLD, EVERYONE WOULD BE HAPPY WITH SILVER.
but they deserved gold, and they got screwed out of it because of questionable judging. </font>

Yes. And if you personally feel that the Russians actually were better, that's fine. 16,000 people in the audience, nearly everyone watching on television, TV commentators from Canadian, American, British, and other international stations, figure skating experts and analysts, and (seemingly) the gold medalists themselves disagree with you.

ZERO
02-12-2002, 08:27 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
..and (seemingly) the gold medalists themselves disagree with you.</font>

???

smiling politely
02-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Ah, I just threw that in for effect. I don't know if that's true or not, really. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/redface.gif

The rest is, though.

ZERO
02-12-2002, 08:40 PM
heheeeee

Samsa
02-12-2002, 09:09 PM
the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.

that's all it was. you cheer for the home-town team. heh. i'm real tired but i'm vaary tempted to stay up and watch them on leno. they talk like freaks. man.

and yeah. canadians are the only people i consistently root against. i don't know what it is???

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 09:35 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.</font>

You've got to be kidding.

That's the stupidest theory I've ever heard.

The exploding boy
02-12-2002, 11:02 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.</font>

don't be a dumbass.

Everyone worldwide agree we should have won.

And yeah about canadian gold medallists and controversy. I was actually talking about this to someone earlier. You forgot frechette. How she got a silver medal because of an ADMITTED error from a judge. They gave her her gold medal later though. But i think it was just symbolic.

raindrops + sunshowers
02-12-2002, 11:12 PM
This thread cracks me up. You all are arguing as if you know a second thing about figure skating besides what they tell you during the Olympic coverage, and maybe national and world championships.

However, one thing tweedy said has been ignored that is factual: the judging isn't based on subjective emotion but on objective technical ability and the presentation of a performance THROUGH how well somebody performs technically. Thus rendering Shaunna's entire argument in favor of the Russians moot.

The funny thing is, if it weren't the Olympics, nobody would care.

ZERO
02-12-2002, 11:19 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
the only reason the audience liked the canadian's performance better was because to americans, canadian = american.

that's all it was. you cheer for the home-town team. heh. i'm real tired but i'm vaary tempted to stay up and watch them on leno. they talk like freaks. man.

and yeah. canadians are the only people i consistently root against. i don't know what it is??? </font>

Injektilo
02-12-2002, 11:25 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by raindrops + sunshowers:

However, one thing tweedy said has been ignored that is factual: the judging isn't based on subjective emotion but on objective technical ability and the presentation of a performance THROUGH how well somebody performs technically. Thus rendering Shaunna's entire argument in favor of the Russians moot.

The funny thing is, if it weren't the Olympics, nobody would care.</font>


Exactly. You don't judge based on your personal reaction to each routine.

as for the second point... well no shit.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-12-2002, 11:26 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by raindrops + sunshowers:
This thread cracks me up. You all are arguing as if you know a second thing about figure skating besides what they tell you during the Olympic coverage, and maybe national and world championships.</font>

Well, all the real experts are saying what we're saying, so I don't see your point. We have national pride, we're cheering for those representing our country -- that's the essence of it -- you don't need to be an "expert" in the sport to cheer your country on. You don't even need to be an expert in the sport to know that they should've won Gold because there were glaring mistakes in the Russians' performance. What am I missing?

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">However, one thing tweedy said has been ignored that is factual: the judging isn't based on subjective emotion but on objective technical ability and the presentation of a performance THROUGH how well somebody performs technically. Thus rendering Shaunna's entire argument in favor of the Russians moot.</font>

Case in point.
We've all been saying that.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">The funny thing is, if it weren't the Olympics, nobody would care.</font>

OBVIOUSLY.
If they were skating in their backyards, it would be inconsequential, wouldn't it?
What are you trying to say here?

The Olympics are important to some people -- a lot of people -- that's why we care.

MisterSquishyHalo
02-12-2002, 11:34 PM
Heh.

All I keep on seeing is silver looks better than gold.

This isnt a fucking fashion contest. Gold=your the best. The canadians were the best, why? cause they didnt fuck up. The russians missed on at least 2 landings. That should have been the end of the story right there. Why else do you think that the ISU is going to do a investigation. Because of possiable Block Voting Thats where basically everyone votes according to the original cold war blocks, although France threw everyone off by voting for the russians as well.

Everyone who enters in the Olympics is there for one reason, and one reason only, To win the gold, everything else is secondary.

When you train and train for 4 years, for one night of glory, and having that glory, and then having it taken away by some biased judges, then yes, I too would piss and moan.

Its all about being competitive folks, if your not competitive, you wont be in the olympics.

------------------
livejournal (http://www.livejournal.com/users/superdeluxe)

ottorogers.com (http://www.ottorogers.com)

That's a School?

Where are all the damn Dennys!

tick
02-13-2002, 12:36 AM
w3rd. figure skating is like a pageant anyway...nothing is set in stone! it's always gonna be arbitrary when there are judges. where did the stupid canadians forget their sportsmanship? don't make a big stink about it you greedy bitches.

The Russian pair was far more superior in style & they've consistently been better over the years. They won the silver medal in the last Olympics. It was their shot this year and for good reason. For the Canadians to win would have been a fluke!
Real skating is in Russia.

Take it from an insider!

------------------
I could have danced all night, I could have danced all night, And still have begged for more. I could have spread my wings, And done a thousand things, I've never done before.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 12:44 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
don't make a big stink about it you greedy bitches.</font>

If you're not properly informed, please refrain from commenting.

The only thing Sale and Pelletier themselves have done is comment on how they were surprised at the result, but that they tried their best.

It is the media that has turned this into a giant fiasco (whether you agree with the result or not). Now, even Jay Leno has jumped on board.

Bottom line: the inquiry is being launched by the ISU themselves, not at the request of any Canadian authorities or the skaters themselves.

Sale and Pelletier have handled themselves well, showing sportsmanlike conduct in the face of immense disappointment.

Again, refrain from posting your so-called "insider" opinions until you get yourself informed.

tick
02-13-2002, 12:46 AM
I just saw their interview and they said something like, "our silver should have been a gold," etc.

You Canadians, keep lying to yourselves!

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 12:49 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
[Russia has] consistently been better over the years. They won the silver medal in the last Olympics. It was their shot this year and for good reason.</font>

Past results should have no bearing on this years results whatsoever.

Although, there is somewhat of a dynasty, it doesn't necessarily involve these skaters so the point is moot.

It's like how Montreal Canadiens fans harp on the "we've won the most Stanley Cups" argument. Who cares? Not one current player that ever won a cup with that team is still on the team. Therefore, what's the same except the patch on the jersey?

smiling politely
02-13-2002, 12:50 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
I just saw their interview and they said something like, "our silver should have been a gold," etc.

</font>

No, he said "sometimes a silver medal is won by a gold medal performance."

pale_princess
02-13-2002, 12:52 AM
not matter what you think of their scores, and who should've won, you gotta admit that this silver medal is sure giving them a lot of media exposure, most of it good.

i'd feel awkward if i were the russians.

TiaraGurl
02-13-2002, 12:54 AM
I just read that whole thread. Who knew that so many netphorians cared so much about figure skating.

*does double axel*

ZeroBullet
02-13-2002, 12:55 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
Not one current player that ever won a cup with that team is still on the team.</font>

Well one actually http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif Patrice Brisebois.


Everyone in this thread who said they'd rather get Silver over Gold because it looks better....you're an idiot.

Everyone who said they should be happy with Silver...you're right...IF they had put up a Silver performance, and were beaten. But they weren't, simple as that. They skated better. Everyone can see that and that's why there's such a big fuss about it.

tick
02-13-2002, 12:57 AM
I feel bad for the russians.

In '94 something similar happened when Gordeeva and Grinkov outsted Mishkotonouk and Dimitriev, but nothing came of it because both pairs were Russian.

I need to be handed the fool's gold medal like John Tesh.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 12:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ZeroBullet:
Well one actually http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif Patrice Brisebois.</font>

I stand corrected http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

But, gee, it was a LONG time ago, wasn't it?

ZeroBullet
02-13-2002, 01:01 AM
Too long! Go Habs! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

tick
02-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Stupid Olympics!
Cold War is over!

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 01:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
not matter what you think of their scores, and who should've won, you gotta admit that this silver medal is sure giving them a lot of media exposure, most of it good.</font>

The media exposure was self-perpetuated -- not the fault of nor caused by Sale and Pelletier. [He says as he watches Leno make jokes about this whole thing . . .]

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">i'd feel awkward if i were the russians.</font>

Yep. As I said before.

It must've sucked all the joy out of that Gold for them. It's a shame. It's just not in harmony with that Olympic spirit.

Ah well. Leave it to the media . . .

------------------
-&gt; fighting Netphorian stupidity since 04-24-2000 &lt;-

TiaraGurl
02-13-2002, 01:10 AM
The russians live in hackensack NJ and the woman almost died 2 years ago when she got cut inthe head doing side by side spins. It is not their fault this is happening they don't look like they passed the judge any benjamins or anything. I will say this all the costumes so far have been really horrible.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 01:12 AM
Jay Leno has just slapped Canada in the face.

(If you saw the Tonight Show intro, you know what I mean. WTF?!)

ZeroBullet
02-13-2002, 01:14 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by TiaraGurl:
I will say this all the costumes so far have been really horrible.</font>

They're always bad...the sequins always look silly. I thought Sale & Pelletier's looked nice though...very clean and not outlandish.

tick
02-13-2002, 01:21 AM
sorry to say this, but i haven't seen a decent costume since Nancy Kerrigan. Vera Wang worked wonders for her.

the canadian pairs costume was alright. He looked like he was wearing normal clothes. Aren't tights banned now, like the ones Brian Boitano used to wear. & I heard you get severe deductions for doing offensive moves because for some time it looked like sex on ice.

Skye
02-13-2002, 01:28 AM
curling better fucking be gold.

ZeroBullet
02-13-2002, 01:29 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Skye:
curling better fucking be gold.</font>

No doobt eh.

TiaraGurl
02-13-2002, 01:31 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
sorry to say this, but i haven't seen a decent costume since Nancy Kerrigan. Vera Wang worked wonders for her.

</font>

I am sure michelle kwan will have something tasteful her ice blue 1998 ensemble was nice but yeah youare right. The russian pair were not even color coordinated! anyway...

MisterSquishyHalo
02-13-2002, 01:34 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
not matter what you think of their scores, and who should've won, you gotta admit that this silver medal is sure giving them a lot of media exposure, most of it good.

i'd feel awkward if i were the russians.</font>


I would trade the exposure, for the gold, No one remembers who finishes second.

autumnNOCTURNE
02-13-2002, 01:36 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:

No one remembers who finishes second.</font>

Heh :-) Except this time.

Actually, skating (in my mind) has been like that. The only placements I know of are all silver medals: Nancy Kerrigan, Elizabeth Manley, Elvis Stojko . . .

Weird.

pale_princess
02-13-2002, 01:37 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:

No one remembers who finishes second.</font>

well this case is quite the opposite. everyone will remember who finished second.

and i was just reminded tonite the name of that oxana chick who won gold that time nancy kerrigan won SILVER.
but i digress.

tick
02-13-2002, 01:39 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by autumnNOCTURNE:
Heh :-) Except this time.

Actually, skating (in my mind) has been like that. The only placements I know of are all silver medals: Nancy Kerrigan, Elizabeth Manley, Elvis Stojko . . .

Weird.</font>

Oksana Baiul (didn't deserve it & her pink fur was just gross),
Katarina Witt (& her retarded sezzuality),
& Alexei Urmanov (Another Fluke. The tights and the blouse worked though!)

tick
02-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Oh, and who remembers Ilia Kulik and his giraffe outfit? His good Russian mother made it.

MisterSquishyHalo
02-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Sources say Russian and French judges made deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Cynthia Faulkner
ESPN.com


SALT LAKE CITY -- Sources within the International Skating Union have told ESPN/ABC Sports figure skating reporter Christine Brennan that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges helped spark the controversy that has the skating world and the Winter Olympics abuzz.


The Canadian Olympic delegation on Tuesday requested an investigation into why Russians Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze won the gold medal when many observers feel that Canadians Jamie Sale and David Pelletier were more worthy.

Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating, says that reliable sources within the ISU told her that a collaboration between the French and Russian judges did happen.

"When (figure skating officials) investigate, I think they're going to find out that the French judge worked a deal with the Russians," said Brennan, one of the world's leading authorities on figure skating.

"There's absolutely no doubt that the Canadians should have won. Their 'Love Story' program was just marvelous. The performance was perfect.

"The Russian pair made small errors including a small mistake on one jump. To me it's clear. It should have been crystal clear for the Canadians."

Brennan said she watched the tapes again and the Canadians' performance only gets better.

"I was shocked the moment I saw the scores and I'm still shocked," she said. "I ran into three international judges, all of them judging at the Olympics, within three minutes after the competition. 'This is an outrage,' they said in unison. I've never seen judges come up to a reporter -- as opposed to going away from them -- and say this is an outrage."

Until Monday, only a few diehard figure skating fans in North America knew who Sale and Pelletier were. That's all changed.

"Their agent told me he's had about a hundred calls," Brennan said. "I'm guessing they are now a household name, which never would have been if they'd won the gold medal with no controversy. I would imagine that they became millionaires in the last 24 hours. The sympathy factor is huge."

The scandal already is drawing comparisons to figure skating's most famous pair of all -- Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan. The story could grow if the United States were to get involved because it's conceivable that if Sale and Pelletier should have won gold, Americans Kyoko Ina and John Zimmerman could have won bronze, Brennan said.

"This is really starting to remind me of Tonya and Nancy, but it's not there yet," Brennan said. "There's something about this that's starting to build and there's the sense that the pace with which it's starting is like it was with Tonya and Nancy. Now there's an investigation and the story has legs."

Cynthia Faulkner is the Olympics editor for ESPN.com.


------------------
livejournal (http://www.livejournal.com/users/superdeluxe)

ottorogers.com (http://www.ottorogers.com)

That's a School?

Where are all the damn Dennys!

MisterSquishyHalo
02-13-2002, 01:47 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
well this case is quite the opposite. everyone will remember who finished second.

and i was just reminded tonite the name of that oxana chick who won gold that time nancy kerrigan won SILVER.
but i digress.

</font>

Well I remember that contest very well, Nancy Kerrigan Skated awesome, and I thought had a awesome run. But Oksana Baiul(sp) had a terrific program too. This does not compare to what happened yesterday.

tick
02-13-2002, 01:51 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by MisterSquishyHalo:
Well I remember that contest very well, Nancy Kerrigan Skated awesome, and I thought had a awesome run. But Oksana Baiul(sp) had a terrific program too. This does not compare to what happened yesterday.</font>

you'd be surprised. Baiul two footed her triple toe and doubled a lutz whereas Kerrigan nailed all her jumps. & Baiul didn't have a triple combination.

This is nothing new in the World of figure skating.

Someone kill me now.

TiaraGurl
02-13-2002, 01:51 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
Oh, and who remembers Ilia Kulik and his giraffe outfit? His good Russian mother made it.</font>

I do recall that (can you tell I watch the olympics?) one of the russian men this year has a bad mullet ew...)

He has a child now with ekatarina gordeeva.

tick
02-13-2002, 01:54 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by TiaraGurl:
I do recall that (can you tell I watch the olympics?) one of the russian men this year has a bad mullet ew...)
</font>
Alexander Abt! The boy with the aluminum foil outfit.
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">
He has a child now with ekatarina gordeeva.</font>Personally, I find this disturbing.



[This message has been edited by tick (edited 02-13-2002).]

MisterSquishyHalo
02-13-2002, 01:58 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:
you'd be surprised. Baiul two footed her triple toe and doubled a lutz whereas Kerrigan nailed all her jumps. & Baiul didn't have a triple combination.

This is nothing new in the World of figure skating.

Someone kill me now.</font>

I dont remember the collective group of announcers, experts and others saying how much of a tragedy it was.

TiaraGurl
02-13-2002, 02:13 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by tick:

He has a child now with ekatarina gordeeva.</font>Personally, I find this disturbing.

[This message has been edited by tick (edited 02-13-2002).]
why?