View Full Version : Act IV

lily1only
07-06-2002, 02:12 AM
My mini-review because I don't remember most of it:

Semi-automatic love slave: nothing really memorable. they weren't bad, but not good either...the singer doesn't have a very strong voice.

Neil Main with Glider: I don't know. he's british.

Rob Paterson (played in lost logic last year): wow. he was amazing- he did a great 'eye'. technology is awesome.

Analogue (the singer is the french guy, christophe thibault): I didn't like them at all. Christophe was wearing some sort of furry scarf- it looked like an animal. We got "What's up Chicago?" from the bassist about three times. some people tried to get them to play X.Y.U but they scoffed and played TOASE and fuck you instead. and a bunch of kids moshed.

Straylight: They weren't particularly good either. But their bassist was adorable in a James sort of way.

Underweb effect: Not too bad. lots of effort..and it was amusing that in the program they put as "Message to the Ghost Children: Smashing Pumpkins fans have got to be the most devoted and fanatical fans that we have ever encountered." lol. they also get points for playing Daughter.

Ketamine: From South Africa...I don't know when ketamine turned goth, I don't remember them being that way last year. I give them points for Silverfuck --> X.Y.U, but all the others were singles (disarm, bwbw, i of the mourning, etc). it was annoying- and they started with BWBW, for christ's sake. They had Lindsey Kuper (the keyboard girl from last year) play with them on Disarm. There's my biased opinion on that.

Overall: From what I remember, last year had a better variety of songs (highlight this year: galapogos) and Billy was a no show. Money for the make-a-wish foundation though.

[This message has been edited by lily1only (edited 07-06-2002).]

whiteSPider
07-06-2002, 03:23 AM
ooo...so thats what happened this year...i still wouldve loved to be there. instead, i just got off work and still have stomach cramps...

billy=no show? wow...did jimmy show up at least? did lindsey play keyboards for disarm?

what other songs were played for each band?

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
hella.

‹^›‹{`;´}›‹^›

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

Eulogy
07-06-2002, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a much better (or at least more interesting) setlist than last year.

Cherub Angel
07-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Quite frankly, I was pleasently surprised of how good this year's show was. I thought the acoustic set was better and the show ran a lot smoother this year.

Semi-Automatic love slave ~ (Love the name) I thought they were good. They did a really nice version of "Whir" and I wished they stayed on for one or two more songs.

Rob Paterson ~ I usually don't like when musicians appear totally solo, but wow, this guy was great. At first I thought "Ok, what the fuck is he doing" but he did really well. It was fun because he would start out with a simple beat and you had to guess what the song was. He did good arrangements with what he had. And yes, technology does rule.

Neil Main/Glider ~ Not bad. Acoustic Rocket was pretty cool and generally they did a good job.

Analogue ~ I thought they should of headlined. They were just really good. Nothing to really complain about....except for the guitarist's guitar being turned up too high thus making my ears ring like crazy.

Straylight ~ Not bad

Underweb Effect ~ I liked their remix at the end, thought that was pretty cool. Good Job.

Ketamine ~ Now as a musician, my advice to them is to get another guitarist and some pedals. They had basically the same setting throughout their set and some diversity in the guitar work would really help their sound.

Took some pictures, had fun, thought it was better than last year, wish I was further back because my ears are ringing like crazy.

all for now.

frenchy
07-06-2002, 10:20 AM
Analogue played TOASE !!!
Damn !! i need to hear that !

------------------
Jerome Conin (Frenchy)
[email protected]
Manager of the French speaking Smashing Pumpkins Community :
Les Citrouilles Ardentes (http://lca.fr.fm)

lily1only
07-06-2002, 01:41 PM
its possible that I was the only person who didn't like analogue.

whitespider: jimmy didn't show up, james didn't show up..etc. yes, lindsey played keyboards for disarm.

darcy_is_sexy
07-06-2002, 09:38 PM
I had been looking forward to the show for almost a year, as Act IV 2001 was one of the greatest shows I'v ever been to. So, here's my mini-review (stealing lily1only's format):

Semi-Automatic Love Slave: They were a nice big meh. They were enjoyable, just not extraordinary.

Neil Main with Glider: Points for playing LMGTWTY. Not the best, though they have great potential.

Rob Paterson: When he came out by himself with an acoustic guitar and a bunch of pedals, I imagined Lindsey Kuper redux. However, he blew me away with his live sampling, and the vague beats that kept you guessing. He is truly an excellent musician.

Analogue: They were excellent. Probably the best of the electric set. TOASE rocked my ass off, as did Geek USA (at least I think these guys were the ones that played it).

Straylight: Their bass player looked a little too much like James Iha. Disappointing followup to Analogue, though they weren't bad.

Underweb effect: They started off slow, but picked up at the end. They started improvising a little bit on the last song, which is definitely something I enjoy in a show.

Ketamine: I'm wondering how the band that was arguably the worst of last year's electric set came to headlining this year's show. I figured out that this band is the perfect example of how you can play every note correctly yet not sound right. The fact that they only had one guitar player made their performance suffer, especially on Today when one of the guitars hits a high note while the other keeps the rhythm (after "I wanted more"). IOTM and Disarm were good, but BWBW and Today definitely did not sound right. Her voice is definitely not suited to SP. However, XYU->Silverfuck (not the other way around) rocked hard (though I'm kinda biased because Silverfuck is my favorite SP song), even though this is the band I would have least liked to see perform it.

Other: The crowd this year wasn't anywhere near as good as last year's. The people around me were fucking annoying, saying that everything sucked nuts because they weren't playing "the hits" (as they called them). It was also probably because I was entering the show with a completely different mindset, as I didn't really know what to expect last year, and it was also my first show in two years. I did spend most of the show requesting Bugg Superstar.

Oh, I may or may not have been hit on by a guy. Being a straight male, this is a bad thing. I'm not sure if he was joking or what.

Overall: It was a fun show. It was worth the $12 I paid, but it wasn't anywhere close to last year's show. Probably the biggest problem with the show is that there wasn't any real draw. Ooooh, a band that wasn't very good last year is headlining this year, that really makes me want to go. I think Steve and Dave should have tried to get Local H to headline. That would have rocked my ass and certainly sold out the show.

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~hrglass/images/ringking2.gif

AIM: PibbDaddy

my shitty little bootlist (http://pibbdaddy.tripod.com/bootlist.txt)

nelifex
07-06-2002, 10:24 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by lily1only:
Neil Main with Glider: I don't know. he's british.</font>

Smashing Corgan
07-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Posted by darcy_is_sexy: Probably the biggest problem with the show is that there wasn't any real draw. Ooooh, a band that wasn't very good last year is headlining this year, that really makes me want to go.

That my friend is why I didn't go. And as I predicted the excitement of fans would not be the same. They are gonna need someone like local h to save this show next year, cuz otherwise the brief tradition of this show will cease to exist.

New Art Rioter
07-07-2002, 02:29 PM

Neil Main with Glider: I don't know. he's british.

</font>

pale_princess
07-07-2002, 04:24 PM
DID ANYONE DO JAMES SONGS?

JoaoMiguel
07-07-2002, 05:03 PM
Nice reviews! I wish I could be there...

This may sound like a "i.m.1.as.u.r.3" request, but does anyone happen to write down a setlist of which song the bands played?
I wanna see their song choices.

SPheart9
07-07-2002, 09:23 PM
i was the crazy girl running all over the place taking photos, so i missed a bit of some of the bands. but, eh, if anyone still cares what -i- thought:

Semi-automatic love slave: they were cute in a naive, little way. the girl has a great voice, and for what it was, major props. only really heard one of their songs, whir, and it was pretty good.

Neil Main with Glider: i didn't hear much of this band, either, but i remember their song being...big. i will say, however, neil is a very awesome person whom i was lucky enough to talk to for a bit. definately a cool person.

Rob Paterson : holy shit. i mean, amaaazing. this guy totally rocked the damn show. at first i was so scared he was not going to be good, being solo and so little looking on that stage, but as soon as the music started the whole world was better. aside from playing pumpking songs absolutely amazing, he had a little unplugged session in the hotel that nite that was beyond words. this guy is amazing.

Analogue: they were good, yes. very good. not as good a rob, but completely different. they had the lights going crazy, and the crowd seemed to dig them quite a bit.

Straylight: i don't remember anything about this band :/

Underweb effect: whoo! yay for canadians. this band got a standing ovation from everyone sitting in the balcony, and i will defiantely say they are good kids. the medly at the end defiantely made the show, and the fact that the songs were played with style was great. i think they should have headlined.

Ketamine: blah :/ i mean, in any other situation i think this band could be OK, or at least have a large fanbase. however, in the pumpkins aspect, i think they're not very good at all. however, i didn't care for them lat year, and they didn't play in any way to change my mind this year. oh well, they still get points for flying all the way in for this show and giving it lots of effort.

pictures soon.

lily1only
07-08-2002, 12:35 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
DID ANYONE DO JAMES SONGS?</font>

no! its been two years, and 0 james songs. i was upset.. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif however, during set changes blew away and the boy were played..

about the bassist from straylight: he was so adorable. <3 james lookalikes.

robbieP
07-08-2002, 12:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SPheart9:

Rob Paterson : holy shit. i mean, amaaazing. this guy totally rocked the damn show. at first i was so scared he was not going to be good, being solo and so little looking on that stage, but as soon as the music started the whole world was better. aside from playing pumpking songs absolutely amazing, he had a little unplugged session in the hotel that nite that was beyond words. this guy is amazing.
[quote]

thank you http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

i really appreciated everyone coming to see the show and being so warm and responsive to me and the rest of the bands...pumpkins fans are the best

and...it was awesome that you guys wanted me to play back at the hotel party thingy...truly an honor.

spheart9...when i come back to chicago to play i'll let you know

take care

rob

SPheart9
07-08-2002, 12:59 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by robbieP:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SPheart9:

[quote]

thank you http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

i really appreciated everyone coming to see the show and being so warm and responsive to me and the rest of the bands...pumpkins fans are the best

and...it was awesome that you guys wanted me to play back at the hotel party thingy...truly an honor.

spheart9...when i come back to chicago to play i'll let you know

take care

rob

</font>

ahahaa...i didn't know you read this? heh.

but most definately let me know-anyone who's down with sigor ros and vast is so good by me...chicago will love to have you back.

and uhm, sorry i was drunk and incoherent. :/ it didn't mean i wasn't in love with the music, anyway, i just say dumb things. i did photo at the show-when i get the pictures developed i'll send them your way.

-rachel

jukeboxphuckup
07-08-2002, 07:14 PM
Hey Rob, what songs did you play at Act IV? Do you have any mp3s online? Also, did you go to Ward Melville High School by any chance?

robbieP
07-09-2002, 02:27 AM
ummmmmmm...yeah, i went to ward melville...how did you know that haha

i played:

to sheila
galapagos
let go/ugly (let go is an original)
eye

i dont have any mp3's up now because i took them down when i was going thru the copywrite process, and never got around to getting them back up...however, if you go to the act 4 website my demo version of galapagos is on there...my website is currently being built, it should be up by the end of the summer

once again, how did you know i went to melville????

rob

THRILLHO
07-09-2002, 02:47 AM
hey, cool. i know one of the guys in underweb effect. if anyone has pictures of them, post them right now!

jukeboxphuckup
07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
ummmmmmm...yeah, i went to ward melville...how did you know that haha

i played:

to sheila
galapagos
eye

i dont have any mp3's up now because i took them down when i was going thru the copywrite process, and never got around to getting them back up...however, if you go to the act 4 website my demo version of galapagos is on there...my website is currently being built, it should be up by the end of the summer

once again, how did you know i went to melville????

rob</font>

Haha, kind of creepy, eh? I used to go to Gelinas three years ago, but then I moved. I still have friends who go to Melville (well they graduated this year). I was visiting them about two years ago and I saw your band playing a cover of The Aeroplane Flies High in the WM auditorium (It was amazing, by the way). And then last year one of my friends told me that she heard you were a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, and that's where I learned your name from. Haha, I hope you're not scared now.

SPheart9
07-09-2002, 10:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
hey, cool. i know one of the guys in underweb effect. if anyone has pictures of them, post them right now!</font>

hahaa....i picked travis up from the airport and we talked about you!

THRILLHO
07-10-2002, 11:36 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by SPheart9:
hahaa....i picked travis up from the airport and we talked about you!</font>

*gulp*

OK then! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Starla84
07-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Here are some pix from act 4, this is my webshots page so you have to click act 4 or else you'll be looking at other stuff. If anyone needs to use these pix for anything, I dont care as long as they're credited.
http://community.webshots.com/user/starla84

SPheart9
07-11-2002, 02:04 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by THRILLHO:
*gulp*

OK then! http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif</font>

call me sometime. we hardcore need to party-somehow..

lily1only
07-11-2002, 08:19 PM
i played:
to sheila
galapagos
eye
rob</font>

rob..you were the best there. seriously..galapogos was absolutely amazing.

MayonaiseOfTheGraySkies
07-12-2002, 02:25 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by SPheart9:
call me sometime. we hardcore need to party-somehow..</font>

the best part was when your drunk friend was unleashed by herself on the hotel.

Starla84
07-12-2002, 03:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by MayonaiseOfTheGraySkies:
the best part was when your drunk friend was unleashed by herself on the hotel.</font>
Hey this is Mahsa.....I just wanted to say sarah wasn't unleased by herself....she had to go to the lobby for something and we ended up going with her because of the scary british guy that wanted to crash our party...at least that's what I remember.

MayonaiseOfTheGraySkies
07-12-2002, 06:38 PM
no, this was a different time. she was really trashed, and left without people knowing. but i'm not ragging on her, she seemed very nice.

Starla84
07-12-2002, 08:33 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by MayonaiseOfTheGraySkies:
no, this was a different time. she was really trashed, and left without people knowing. but i'm not ragging on her, she seemed very nice. </font>

oh ok I guess I must have been a little fucked up too because I barely remeber that...lol

Sarahpalooza
07-13-2002, 01:37 AM
Enough talking shit "abooot" me on this board, y'all. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Knowing that Rob reads the board.. You were fantasitc. I have your version of "Eye" stuck in my head all the time.

Jaime, I'm glad your favorite part of the night was when I *wasn't* in the room.. What's that say

Sarah BC

robbieP
07-13-2002, 03:51 AM
thanks everyone...i really appreciate it http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

if anyone wants to be added to my mailing list so you can hear about news and upcoming shows i'm playing, send me an email at [email protected]

once again, it was a pleasure to play for all of you...even in the hotel http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

take care

rob

ps-i'm looking for another gig in chicago...any ideas?

Mood ring
07-13-2002, 06:45 PM
"Take me out to the Ballgame" @ Wrigley. gaurenteed.

DeviousJ
07-13-2002, 07:30 PM
This thread is disturbing

kurt rambis
07-14-2002, 12:44 AM
ya, rob is a rockstar,, maaaaad tone.. also, no you cant have my keyboard ;-)

nelifex
07-14-2002, 07:46 PM
baha

Oblivious
07-14-2002, 11:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by DeviousJ:
This thread is disturbing</font>

for some reason i'm glad that i didn't go this year.

supersonic
07-15-2002, 07:53 PM
Well, from Ketamine's side, we were really appreciative of the opportunity to play again this year.

Unfortunately it still seems that people miss the point of the show which is to get together and pay tribute to a great band plus raise funds for charity - when I read that people say they're happy they didn't go, it makes me wonder what kind of person overlooks supporting a cause that helps sick children, just because they think they'll be disappointed spending a mere $12.

Ketamine have never pretended to be a TSP cover band - they're an original band that play their own music - and are big fans of TSP which is why it has been an honour for them to have been part of Act IV.

Certain people (who's names we don't need to mention) have been working with them, developing the band, their sound etc. They've been together for one year, and have never pretended to be rock stars, just honest musicians playing their music. At the end of it all, Joe Shanahan made the final selections, and as he runs such an unsuccessful venue, he obviously got it wrong...?

When you meet someone like BC, and he is so honest , intelligent and down to earth, it is rather sad that a lot of fans are the opposite, and seem to think they own TSP.

Contrary to this, we did meet a lot of really nice people during our stay in Chicago, we think it's a great city!

We also thank Steven & David Pukin for all their support, Lindsey for joining in, and all the bands that spent their own money getting there to make it a great show. Only SALS was local.

PS: to Lily1only: TSP went from hippie to grunge to trendy to goth to cybergoth in looks/dress during their career (and even a cowboy hat in there somewhere), yet you are so conservative that it bothered you that Ketamine wore black clothes...really?

lily1only
07-16-2002, 01:18 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by supersonic:
PS: to Lily1only: TSP went from hippie to grunge to trendy to goth to cybergoth in looks/dress during their career (and even a cowboy hat in there somewhere), yet you are so conservative that it bothered you that Ketamine wore black clothes...really?</font>

nah, my friends and I were just surprised because we weren't sure if we forgot, or if you just changed your style. Didn't mean to offend or anything.

supersonic
07-16-2002, 05:18 AM
nah, my friends and I were just surprised because we weren't sure if we forgot, or if you just changed your style. Didn't mean to offend or anything.

</font>

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif

south
07-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Supersonic, back so soon, how was it?

south
07-16-2002, 03:30 PM
Black arm things http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/wink.gif Very cool!

lily1only
07-16-2002, 09:23 PM
yeah, supersonic- which one are you anyways?

supersonic
07-17-2002, 03:10 PM
yeah, supersonic- which one are you anyways?</font>

I'm not in the band - a TSP fan, that designed the playbill/flyers - and the K guitarist is apparently related to me? I do their website etc... http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/eek.gif

Eulogy
07-17-2002, 07:05 PM
I'm not in the band </font>

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Well, from Ketamine's side, we were really appreciative of the opportunity to play again this year. </font>

K

lily1only
07-17-2002, 08:15 PM
well...I see.

supersonic
07-18-2002, 04:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Eulogy:
K</font>

Well, you get a point for being bored enough to reply. Congratulations - I co-manage Ketamine with another woman (seems strange to use the word 'woman' when talking to kids)...and I do all their design...clear...?

------------------
whatever

Eulogy
07-18-2002, 11:39 PM
Well, you get a point for being bored enough to reply. Congratulations - I co-manage Ketamine with another woman (seems strange to use the word 'woman' when talking to kids)...and I do all their design...clear...?

</font>

All I was implying was that you shouldn't refer to the band as "we" if you're not actually in the band.

south
07-19-2002, 03:17 PM
Hey, Supersonic, you still haven't answered my question, how was the gig, what happened?
And, what the hell has happened to traffic?? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/frown.gif

lily1only
07-21-2002, 12:24 AM
(seems strange to use the word 'woman' when talking to kids)
</font>

what kids?