07-29-2007, 12:50 AM
you don't need to yell. i'm right here.. :erm:

dasuitekilla
07-29-2007, 12:51 AM
k whats oops stand for

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 12:58 AM
http://www.spaceyraygun.net/mp3/starzOOPS.mp3

i used an mp3 to make this... so it kinda warbles from the transcode/reencode (i think)

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 01:00 AM
http://www.spaceyraygun.net/mp3/pompOOPS.mp3

this one sounds kinda cool

dasuitekilla
07-29-2007, 01:04 AM
pomp dont work

dasuitekilla
07-29-2007, 01:05 AM
o ya it does

SlingeroGuitaro
07-29-2007, 01:15 AM
i try this with songs from just about ever record i buy. this is how i see if something is mp3 sourced or not.. you get all this nasty warble.

try starz- especially after the chorus where the vocals go 'STarz starz starz sta....' listen to all of the guitar parts on top of one another. its awesome.

edit: i see you already did starz....and mp3 indeed...

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 01:22 AM
this is how i see if something is mp3 sourced or not.. you get all this nasty warble.

that's a good way to check (without looking at a spectrum analyzer).

but do you mean to suggest that they're selling retail CDs that are mp3 sourced? have you ever found any?

that's pretty fucked up if they pull that shit... :-\

SlingeroGuitaro
07-29-2007, 01:25 AM
that's a good way to check (without looking at a spectrum analyzer).

but do you mean to suggest that they're selling retail CDs that are mp3 sourced? have you ever found any?

well, i more specificall meant things from oink, and the single leaks of zeitgeist and such... every other day or so somebody would post saying 'CD RIP OF TARANTULA!!!!' and there would be ten pages or so about how much better it sounded. this is a way to tell everyone to shut the fuck up.

the only mp3 sourced retail cd's ive found have been weird indie bands around austin. i recorded a band and they wanted to release 3 eps- one vinyl source, one analog tape source, one completely digital and mp3 sourced...

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 01:44 AM
You can do this easier with a plugin like Waves S1 or DUY Wide... and you can adjust the level of center to sides, etc...

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 02:21 AM
you can adjust the level of center to sides, etc...

I just tried this with DUY wide. 60% wide with a 30% boost at 440hz.

Here's a clip of Come On Let's Go... first the original, then the modified version. Notice that it brings up the backing vocals but pulls down the lead vocal.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fjrfv7l2yz1

Sigma
07-29-2007, 04:10 AM
This sounds pretty great on God and Country cause it removes that kind of cheesy synth.

1100ww
07-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Here's a clip of Come On Let's Go... first the original, then the modified version. Notice that it brings up the backing vocals but pulls down the lead vocal.

i love the "new" name of the track...

The New
07-29-2007, 04:42 AM

While you're on the subject, maybe someone here can suggest what might be going on here (http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost.php?p=2802674&postcount=11)

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 07:03 AM
You can do this easier with a plugin like Waves S1 or DUY Wide... and you can adjust the level of center to sides, etc...

this really isn't difficult to do at all.

all you have to do is take one channel, invert it, cut it, mix paste it into the other channel, copy the other channel, paste it in the blank channel.

it'll just make a pseudostereo mono track will everything that is the equal in both
channels phased out.

a long time ago, i trolled an MCR board with a bunch of these kinds of tracks and passed them off as incomplete studio demos of the album tracks. suckers.

MagicPie
07-29-2007, 07:07 AM
what a lame trolling

'hey i'll go through the effort of messing about with songs,my effort will be amusing on these suckers'

if you flooded their msg board i'd have more respect

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 07:29 AM
this really isn't difficult to do at all.

all you have to do is take one channel, invert it, cut it, mix paste it into the other channel, copy the other channel, paste it in the blank channel.

Uh, right. Destructive audio editing, anyone? Sucky.

I'm not saying you can't do it that way, I'm saying you can do it better.

DUY Wide, for example will allow you in realtime to adjust the level of the sides to the center, and then also switch in boost at whatever frequency you want to make up for the lost low end.

Waves S1 goes a step further, allowing you to mess with the left/right pan of the whole shebang.

smashapumpkin
07-29-2007, 07:40 AM
http://www.spaceyraygun.net/mp3/starzOOPS.mp3

i used an mp3 to make this... so it kinda warbles from the transcode/reencode (i think)
sounds pretty kewl

tcm
07-29-2007, 07:47 AM

DUY Wide, for example will allow you in realtime to adjust the level of the sides to the center, and then also switch in boost at whatever frequency you want to make up for the lost low end.

Waves S1 goes a step further, allowing you to mess with the left/right pan of the whole shebang.
uh huh, uh huh, uh huh... look, mister. whatever you're selling, we're not interested. [hangs up]

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 07:50 AM
what a lame trolling

'hey i'll go through the effort of messing about with songs,my effort will be amusing on these suckers'

if you flooded their msg board i'd have more respect

they still float around as legitimate demos today.

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 07:55 AM

isn't it always "destructive"? besides, why would i pay that much for either plugin just to goof around?

http://www.duy.net/duystore/product.asp?P_ID=162 ($313.88)
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=275 ($400)

if you want to send these to me for free, i'd love to give 'em a test drive.

Future Boy
07-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Its Secret Adore all over again! SECRET ZEITGEIST!

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 08:26 AM
isn't it always "destructive"? besides, why would i pay that much for either plugin just to goof around?

http://www.duy.net/duystore/product.asp?P_ID=162 ($313.88)
http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=275 ($400)

if you want to send these to me for free, i'd love to give 'em a test drive.

I happened to get all the DUY plugins free in a prize pack - but I'm sure that you could obtain them free through other means, Mr. Peter Quistgard.

I'm not saying you have to use the plugins either. I'm just saying - you CAN. If you fucking WANT to. Geez man. It is quicker for me to insert DUY Wide over a track and slam the "Wide" slider up to 100 than any copy and paste bullshit, that's all... but you can do it that way too if your budget or morals prevent you from using it. I was doing OOPS stuff almost a decade ago, this is easier to me and has other advantages.

BTW, "Destructive" means altering the audio file... "Non destructive" means altering it in realtime, so that you can remove the plugin or change the parameters and listen to the results as you change them. So I have realtime control over the plugin parameters, I can automate it so that, for example, when Billy's got backing vocals galore in the sides I can increase the ratio of the middle channel and lower the sides, etc...

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 08:36 AM
I happened to get all the DUY plugins free in a prize pack - but I'm sure that you could obtain them free through other means, Mr. Peter Quistgard.

I'm not saying you have to use the plugins either. I'm just saying - you CAN. If you fucking WANT to. Geez man. It is quicker for me to insert DUY Wide over a track and slam the "Wide" slider up to 100 than any copy and paste bullshit, that's all... but you can do it that way too if your budget or morals prevent you from using it. I was doing OOPS stuff almost a decade ago, this is easier to me and has other advantages.

BTW, "Destructive" means altering the audio file... "Non destructive" means altering it in realtime, so that you can remove the plugin or change the parameters and listen to the results as you change them. So I have realtime control over the plugin parameters, I can automate it so that, for example, when Billy's got backing vocals galore in the sides I can increase the ratio of the middle channel and lower the sides, etc...

my budget or morals wouldn't prevent me from using it. that's why i asked you to send it to me. i DO want to try it.

i tried a few quick searches on a bunch of torrent sites and didn't have any luck. do these plugins work with audition/cool edit?

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 09:14 AM
The Waves stuff should - even if you get an old version. Try Platinium bundle or something - check the Waves site for the bundle names.

Or just search "Waves Bundle"... there's a few hits on Diamond bundle here... not sure what that *******s.

http://torrentz.com/search?q=waves+bundle&x=0&y=0

You're out of luck on the DUY stuff, but Waves has most things you would want anyway.

spacey raygun
07-29-2007, 10:58 AM
i dunno dood, i'm pretty sure your method does not yield anything close to what i'm doing. i'm not tweaking frequencies or panning, i'm canceling out whatever is identical on both tracks and getting the remainder... i guess there is mathematics behind it not the human ear.

maybe i'm using this plugin (waves S1) wrong, but it definitely doesn't seem to do the same thing. it's still cool though.

any tips?

TheMilstead
07-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow, guys. You know that a lot of different headphone models will achieve this exact same effect if you plug them in your CD/MP3 player about halfway and carefully stop at a precise point. It's easy to pick out low bitrate MP3s this way, as it brings out all the imperfections. All it's doing is eliminating anything that's potentially coming from the center channel and leaving whatever pans out left and right. It's kinda funny when it's vocals because a lot of times you just hear the reverb and not the original voices. Same with some drums.

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 11:51 AM
i dunno dood, i'm pretty sure your method does not yield anything close to what i'm doing. i'm not tweaking frequencies or panning, i'm canceling out whatever is identical on both tracks and getting the remainder... i guess there is mathematics behind it not the human ear.

maybe i'm using this plugin (waves S1) wrong, but it definitely doesn't seem to do the same thing. it's still cool though.

any tips?

You can cut the entire common sound if you drag out the triangle so its completely wide... the plugin, and DUY Wide, both mess with the mid and side information. Common is mid. Everything thats left - your "OOPS" signal - is side. All the freaky shit that S1 can do to the signal is playing the Mid... mono... signal, against the Side... OOPS... signal.

But there's all the other shit as well - like all the points inbetween.

SlingeroGuitaro
07-29-2007, 02:33 PM
i like my way better:

2 channels on my trident- flip phase on one- pan to center.

milandejong
07-29-2007, 03:23 PM
tried it before in this thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showpost.php?p=2806090&postcount=37

T&T
07-29-2007, 05:13 PM
i like my way better:
2 channels on my trident- flip phase on one- pan to center.out of phase mono is the way to go...
I've seen stereo's with a button labeled "karaoke" that does this
kills the common centered channel

if you're really feeling daring, play it in reverse as well
after a 64mp3 transcode :blush:

brendo_91
07-29-2007, 08:39 PM
i like my way better:

2 channels on my trident- flip phase on one- pan to center.

psh, trident? you wish you had a behringer, dude.

anyway, the DUY and Waves plugs decode to M/S, give you control over the levels thereof, then reencode to LR... whereas your method is just decoding to S.

ToEachesOwn, i guess