View Full Version : Pumpkins bad blood with Pavement

mojo
06-10-2002, 08:04 PM
someone refresh my memory please - how did the bad blood between billy and stephen malkmas of pavement come about and what was the result - did the pumpkins throw them off a tour or did billy deny that? Anyone remember? They are two of the greatest bands of the ninties - but they're also about as different as it gets within the alt-rock spectrum...

Injektilo
06-10-2002, 08:16 PM
I don't remember if it started with the quote from the pavement song Range Life, but it might have. something about "on tour with the smashing pumpkins, I don't understand what they're saying, and I could really give a fuck" Or it might have originated from Malkamus feeling SP sold out,
er, something like that.

jamesey
06-10-2002, 08:17 PM
a shady lane. everybody wants one

Suck Smile
06-10-2002, 09:29 PM
I was told that Malkmus just didn't like the band's work ethic. I read an interview of his somewhere that he does like the music, but he thinks they're pretentious.

no surprise there. Though I think Malkmus seems to have a permanent bug up his ass about many things though.

pale_princess
06-10-2002, 09:31 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Suck Smile:
I was told that Malkmus just didn't like the band's work ethic. I read an interview of his somewhere that he does like the music, but he thinks they're pretentious.
</font>

i think it was more directed at b0lly, but yeah...

Suck Smile
06-10-2002, 09:51 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by pale_princess:
i think it was more directed at b0lly, but yeah...

</font>

could be, but I heard that it was just at the band in general. When you think about it, all of them have to be at least a little pretentious....how else could they have dealt with Billy for so long?

Oblivious
06-10-2002, 10:17 PM
it was "out on tour with the smashing pumpkins nature kids they aint got no function i dont understand what they're saying and i could really give a fuck".

but i don't remember them ever touring together - maybe lollapalooza? i don't remember.

------------------
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
...Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

Finsta
06-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Actually it's
Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
Nature kids... I, they don't have no function
I don't understand what they mean
and I could really give a fuck.

And that song's better than anything SP ever wrote.

sarmatianus
06-11-2002, 01:20 AM
The tour thing is that Malkmus then claimed that the Pumpkins got Pavement kicked off of the Lollapolooza tour, which Billy denied as complete and utter bullshit. Later Malkmus admitted that this was a malicious lie.

What I don't get is if he had such an indie credo (if that was his stance against the Pumpkins), why the fuck would he want to be in Lolla anyway?

CandyPotter
06-11-2002, 01:27 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sarmatianus:
What I don't get is if he had such an indie credo (if that was his stance against the Pumpkins), why the fuck would he want to be in Lolla anyway?</font>
I think Lollapalooza was cool once.

SP33
06-11-2002, 01:50 AM
Then didn't billy rip on malkmas about Pavement's songs sounding similar to SP...?

------------------
"We have the answer to your question. The answer to your guess is that we never fucking left!" 12.02.00

I have more than the regular shoes... (http://www.angelfire.com/co/mypumpkin/boots.html)

aomb1979
06-11-2002, 04:39 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by SP33:
Then didn't billy rip on malkmas about Pavement's songs sounding similar to SP...?

</font>

http://hoarder.net/splqa/1994/aug1994.html#8-2-94

Kumar Littlejeans
06-11-2002, 11:57 AM
That's Collective Soul, sir.

But back on topic, Billy hired a hitman to have Stephen Malkmus murdered. But Malkmus realized this and the plan was thwarted.

Raskolnikov
06-11-2002, 12:13 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Finsta:
Actually it's
Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
Nature kids... I, they don't have no function
I don't understand what they mean
and I could really give a fuck.

And that song's better than anything SP ever wrote.</font>

I've never heard that song before, but I guarantee you it's not better than "anything SP ever wrote". With lyrics like that, it's just not possible. C'mon, you have to resort to putting another band name in your lyrics to create a stir? What, is he Emimem or something?

Finsta
06-11-2002, 12:22 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Raskolnikov:
I've never heard that song before, but I guarantee you it's not better than "anything SP ever wrote". With lyrics like that, it's just not possible. C'mon, you have to resort to putting another band name in your lyrics to create a stir? What, is he Emimem or something?</font>

LOL you're dumb

happy peter pan
06-11-2002, 01:09 PM
LOL you're dumb</font>

Nah, iz U!

aomb1979
06-11-2002, 01:28 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Kumar Littlejeans:
That's Collective Soul, sir.

But back on topic, Billy hired a hitman to have Stephen Malkmus murdered. But Malkmus realized this and the plan was thwarted.</font>

What's the difference?

Suck Smile
06-11-2002, 02:14 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Raskolnikov:
I've never heard that song before, but I guarantee you it's not better than "anything SP ever wrote". With lyrics like that, it's just not possible. C'mon, you have to resort to putting another band name in your lyrics to create a stir? What, is he Emimem or something?</font>

It does its job, it calls attention. Nice little way of getting publicity. Works every time.

Datura
06-11-2002, 03:31 PM

And that song's better than anything SP ever wrote.</font>

go fuck yourself.

-Cansun

------------------
http://www.gbdesigns.com/freaksandgeeks/photos/misc/logo_freaks.gif

Graveflower
06-11-2002, 04:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Datura:
go fuck yourself.

-Cansun

</font>

He's wrong, but Pavement is great and Range Life is the best song on Crooked Rain.

Kumar Littlejeans
06-11-2002, 05:02 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by aomb1979:
What's the difference?

</font>

There isn't if you hate music.

Raskolnikov
06-11-2002, 06:05 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Suck Smile:
It does its job, it calls attention. Nice little way of getting publicity. Works every time.</font>

Yea, it might get publicity... but it reeks of ignorance. If you're out to get publicity, then grab 4 other guys and start a boy band or something.

Raskolnikov
06-11-2002, 06:10 PM
LOL you're dumb</font>

Now that's a great comeback. Any comeback involving the three letters "LOL" reeks of more ignorance than that Pavement "lyric" up there.

Finsta
06-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Maybe, but you guys, the pumpkins aren't good

Junebug
06-11-2002, 07:00 PM
nature kids? what is he talking about?

Sacred Age Of Innocence
06-11-2002, 07:07 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by happy peter pan:
Nah, iz U!</font>

Wrong again my friend

Kumar Littlejeans
06-11-2002, 08:34 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Junebug:
nature kids? what is he talking about?</font>

AHH THE SUBTEXT IS BLINDZ MEEEEE

Suck Smile
06-12-2002, 12:15 AM
Maybe, but you guys, the pumpkins aren't good</font>

so you're one of the idiots who hang around the fan message boards of bands they don't like.

You make a lot of sense http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/rolleyes.gif