View Full Version : Your Favourite Ten Seconds of Pumpkins Music

mojo
04-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Your favourite - i.e. one choice.

Last ten seconds of obscured before feedback brings it to a close.

ChoobieWoobie
04-24-2002, 04:38 PM
The part in Soma where it goes from a nice soft to a blistering loud. "Didn't want to lose you once again"

Datura
04-24-2002, 04:43 PM
last part of Ruby where it all breaks down,you know,the acoustic part...it's like a perfect orgasm for the ears.

-Cansun

------------------
I woke up to my cold sheets and the smell of New Jersey,when do I get to wake up to you?

zekix
04-24-2002, 04:52 PM
When Rhinoceros kicks heavy...Mm.

saferkefka
04-24-2002, 05:22 PM
hummer - 4:22 to 5:27 *sigh* it reminds so much of certain times in my life.

KrazeePumpkin
04-24-2002, 05:26 PM
I don't know if its ten seconds, but another Soma reference, when he says "one last kiss for me yeah, one last kiss goodnight" and then the music goes...that part always gives me chills.

severin
04-24-2002, 05:42 PM
drown, when it starts to get heavy and in thirty three the part where he sings "and for a moment i lose myself, wrapped up in the pleasures of the world"

The Gaddrow
04-24-2002, 07:05 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ChoobieWoobie:
The part in Soma where it goes from a nice soft to a blistering loud. "Didn't want to lose you once again"</font>Damn straight.

SpFission
04-24-2002, 07:41 PM
I like the very end of Farewell and Goodnight, when the piano kicks in. I think it ends the album perfectly.

Travis Meeks
04-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Glynis
2:20-2:30
I love Glynis

Mustard
04-24-2002, 07:51 PM
near the end of geek u.s.a. right before the last part comes in with the "she really needs to break." ya know, the part where there are no drums, only layers of feedback.

ModernCheeze
04-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Either For Martha, just as the drums build and then BAM, you get that elegantly simple but beautiful solo that always sends chills down my spine....OR...when the distortion kicks in during the last chorus of AOI...Whenever I listen to it, it gives me the mental image of a flower openeing...yeah

------------------
-JJ

"Everyone hates a sad professor. I hate where I wound up."
AIM: nu100

Reyngel
04-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Porcelina, the "seashell hissing lullabies" part, where that vocal sound fades in.

Jaggie
04-24-2002, 08:28 PM
Well it's :41, but The Groover clip from PM.

------------------
i wasted (http://www.jaggie.net) all my years, been chasing all my fears

BillyPilgrim
04-24-2002, 08:43 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Datura:
last part of Ruby where it all breaks down,you know,the acoustic part...it's like a perfect orgasm for the ears.

-Cansun

</font>

------------------
Can they hear what I think? Do they know what I hear?

"I'm a fuck-up, and I'm an outcast, and that's it. You come near me you're gonna get it. You're gonna get fucked over and fucked out."-Dog Day Afternoon

Bootlist (http://www.angelfire.com/band/SPboots/index.html)

Helena Handbasket
04-24-2002, 08:44 PM
When the guitar kicks in in Porcelina, duh. DUH nuh.. DUH nuh.. DUH nuh.. DUH nuh nuh nuh nuh.. dun nuh nuh nuh nuh nuuuuuuh

cashcarbodies
04-24-2002, 08:46 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
Originally posted by ChoobieWoobie:
The part in Soma where it goes from a nice soft to a blistering loud. "Didn't want to lose you once again"</font>Damn straight.

VegasPumpkin
04-24-2002, 08:47 PM
A couple of my favs have already been mentioned but the breakdown in Age of Innocense where billy starts to sing.

Age Of Empathy
04-24-2002, 09:13 PM
wow, i have several .....

siva: "all this pain that smothers me .. like a bomn that you can't see ..."

tristessa: do you ever wake up .. and find yourself alone?

hummer: ask yourself a question, anyone but me, i aint free ...

soma: didnt wanna lose you once again, didnt wanna be your friend, fufilled the promise made of tin, crawled back to you ...

landslide: ive been fretting cause i built my life around you

starla: serve yourself

blue: i lay with you, this velvet morning, stay with me, for a while, where we run to, is up to you, just stay with me, for a while

.... alright im stopping after pisces, i dont wanna even start getting into the demos.

------------------
all this rock (http://www.geocities.com/mikecranston18) that smothers me ...

New Art Rioter
04-24-2002, 10:22 PM
The end of Rocket where everything stops but Billy's riff. Also, the solo in Blew Away where the distortion kicks in.

ModernCheeze
04-24-2002, 10:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by New Art Rioter:
The end of Rocket where everything stops but Billy's riff. Also, the solo in Blew Away where the distortion kicks in.</font>

Other great 10-second James moments:

"Take Me Down," when the song builds under "when you sleep when you dream.." it to that lovely little plateau.

"Go," when the whole song stops except for James and the acoustic guitar, "we ran away, or so we thought..."

The short little E-bow solo in Stand Inside Your Love.

When the strings come in on "Believe."

The opening of Mayo (the first ten seconds and beyond). Even though Billy played it, we can credit it to James, yes?

------------------
-JJ

"Everyone hates a sad professor. I hate where I wound up."
AIM: nu100

ModernCheeze
04-24-2002, 10:53 PM
And yes, I'm well aware that in both of my posts I've ignored mojo's one choice stipulation.

todustiguess
04-25-2002, 12:54 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Age Of Empathy:

blue: i lay with you, this velvet morning, stay with me, for a while, where we run to, is up to you, just stay with me, for a while
</font>

yeah, that would have to be one of mine...

very hard to just choose one though - thats the whole point about why the pumpkins are so good!

relaxor!
04-25-2002, 03:23 AM
.58-1.10 of La Dolly Vita

I love that song

also, many many times in Glynis. that song just plain kicks my ass

JRiordan
04-25-2002, 04:46 AM
I was at a party in June of 1996, and I had to call someone. The stereo was on shuffle, and at the time, it happened to be on Zero. I remember that right as I reached the person on the phone, it was about 1:55 in the song, and it was LOUD. I clearly remember thinking, "wow, what an awesome party this is!" I couldn't hear anything on the phone, and as I looked back, all I saw was 40 kids crammed into a much-too-small room moshing and bodysurfing. So, I'm putting up Zero, 1:55 - basically end of song as a great fraction of SP.

-JR

Stupid Name
04-25-2002, 06:10 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ModernCheeze:
Either For Martha, just as the drums build and then BAM, you get that elegantly simple but beautiful solo that always sends chills down my spine
</font>

also, i cant beleive no one has mentioned the part between the end of the "bang bang you're dead" part and the part where it get's loud again in Silverfuck.

Oblivious
04-25-2002, 06:19 AM
fuck you: destroy the mind-destroy the body-but you cannot destroy the heart

xyu: that beautiful cacophony of noise that is "AND IN THE EYES OF THE JACKYL I SAY KA-BOOM!" <3 <3 <3 <3

bodies - :00 - :27 ( i KNOW that's 27 seconds)

jupiter's lament - Why have you left me?
Amongst the tall trees(more the inflection in his voice than anything)

feelium - the 7 second guitar piece that repeats itself throughout the song.

i could go on but i won't. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
Darwin on LSD. Darwin on speed. Throwing rocks around. Knocking cities to the ground. Wondering why it even lasted this long.

Assman
04-25-2002, 08:07 AM
the climax of For Martha...no question in my mind....has been my fave since i first heard it...incredibly beautiful + powerful at the same time

Mirror_Untrue
04-25-2002, 12:34 PM
The part in Behold the Night Mare "so may you come with your own knives you'll never take me alive with all the force of what is true is there nothing i can do?" and the music around it.

klamp
04-25-2002, 01:13 PM
The first note in the Cherob Rocl Solo or
"long horses we are born..." from For Martha

Smiley
04-25-2002, 02:00 PM
There are some great choices in this topic... we could compile a great 5 minute album out of this stuff.

In addition to what has already been said, I'd like to add the Fuck You solo. It's not very long, but it is very powerful and accents the song perfectly.

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Ensoul
04-25-2002, 03:34 PM
"She said... I'm dead."

darcy_is_sexy
04-26-2002, 12:01 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley:
There are some great choices in this topic... we could compile a great 5 minute album out of this stuff.
</font>

somebody please do!

Crono
04-26-2002, 12:45 AM
The first line of the second verse of 'To Sheila' (underappreciated IMO) when the drum kicks in.

Or in Soma when the distorition hits. Tis a tie. Fuck the one choice.

PauL

RedBarron4
04-26-2002, 01:02 AM
Here are 3 of my favorite

The end to bullet.... "and still believe that I cannot be saved"

Hello kitty kat.. "Slit my wrists and die a whore....."

Tales of a Scorched earth "everybody's lost just waiting to be found
everyone's a thought just waiting to fade
so f*** it all cause i don't care
so what somehow somewhere we dared
to try to dare to dare for a little more..."

Travis Meeks
04-26-2002, 03:16 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by RedBarron4:

Tales of a Scorched earth "everybody's lost just waiting to be found
everyone's a thought just waiting to fade
so f*** it all cause i don't care
so what somehow somewhere we dared
to try to dare to dare for a little more..."</font>

oh yes, I thought I was the last one to love TOASE

Marquis667
04-26-2002, 04:22 PM
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/cool.gif Farewell & G, outro http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/cool.gif

MstrGhost
04-26-2002, 11:35 PM
the start of bodies, after the fuzz when drums and guitar enter.

------------------
Love Is Suicide (http://mstrghost.home.sapo.pt)

SmashingZeppelins
04-28-2002, 08:09 AM
"The night has come, to hold us young"I love that part! I also enjoy the acoustic solo in Landslide, something about that just gets me every time.

BeautifulLoser
04-28-2002, 09:13 PM
Ooooh, I'm getting the warm fuzzies reading this topic. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

I love the intro to Stand Inside Your Love... I just smile when I hear it.

------------------
AIM: JenniferZero

censored25: Dont be sad, Jesus loves your ass

glamey_glamay
04-29-2002, 08:40 AM
"my love for you just can't explain
why we're forever frozen, forever beautiful,
forever lost inside ourselves"

------------------
There are no enemies, only dangerous friends

if there is a llama
04-29-2002, 08:57 AM

-Cansun

</font>

Thats exactly what I was going to say.

David

Junebug
04-30-2002, 10:13 PM
for today, I'd say just about any ten seconds of the Starla solo, but especially the part where the guitar (pardon my lack of jargon here, I don't play) just keeps building and building and building and you think that it's going to stop and it just never does. It always makes me feel like I'm about to explode from sheer, joyful contentment.

lily1only
05-03-2002, 12:04 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ChoobieWoobie:
The part in Soma where it goes from a nice soft to a blistering loud. "Didn't want to lose you once again"

</font>

and the beginning of the solo in mayonaise...man.

smiling politely
05-03-2002, 01:23 AM

</font>

Why is that like an orgasm? That's more of a nice denouement. An orgasm would have to be a musical climax - like "the impossible is possible tonight, tonight." With that whole string section going crazy. Now that is orgasmic.

And what is up with all you people mentioning the "didn't want to lose you once again" thing in Soma? Everyone knows that the best part of that song is the guitar melody just after "so let the sadness come again."

Aw fuck, I didn't want to reply to this topic, because it's pretty dumb. Now look what you made me do.

CandyPotter
05-03-2002, 02:03 AM
My kneejerk reaction was the "she really loves to pray" transition in Geek USA,

BUT,

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by klamp:
"long horses we are born..." from For Martha</font>

Hands down.

That album was huge, it was everything. The only reason why anyone here knows me.

TheHappiestBoyInTheWorld
05-03-2002, 02:17 AM
The crescendo in "Hello Kitty Kat".

Siamese33
05-05-2002, 11:44 PM
When the bass kicks in Set the ray...

Billy's deep breath right before muzzle

the whole bridge to Galapagos

------------------
http://www.alien8recordings.com/store/covers/shalabicover.jpg

AIM: Slunk777
WEB: Swiss Engineers (http://www.swissengineers.cjb.net)

Injektilo
05-06-2002, 12:03 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
[B]
And what is up with all you people mentioning the "didn't want to lose you once again" thing in Soma? Everyone knows that the best part of that song is the guitar melody just after "so let the sadness come again."

B]</font>

Yeah, yeah, the best part in soma is the solo followed by the "so let the sadness..." verse. goddamn, listening to that part on full volume... goosebumps the size of fucking tennis balls.

------------------
how'd this world get so fucking fun, all of a sudden?

Lie
05-07-2002, 04:43 AM
The part in Rhinoceros right after the guitar solo and before "Open your eyes...," where it builds with the first half of the same riff that's used at the very beginning and between verses, except halfway through it freezes, slows, and then crashes down in chords instead.

Duhduhduh-duh-duhduhduh-duh-duhduhduhduh-<font color=red>DUH</font>-<font color=green>DUH</font>-<font color=purple>DUH</font>-<font color=blue>DUH!!!!!!!</font>

I thought I was going to wet myself when they played it at the Metro.

wounded
05-10-2002, 10:26 AM
the end of glass and the ghost children.

luna_grl
05-10-2002, 02:04 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:
Yeah, yeah, the best part in soma is the solo followed by the "so let the sadness..." verse. goddamn, listening to that part on full volume... goosebumps the size of fucking tennis balls.

</font>

Bingo!!!

------------------
Hurt that's not supposed to show and
Tears that fall when no one knows

rubber
05-10-2002, 06:59 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
Why is that like an orgasm? That's more of a nice denouement. An orgasm would have to be a musical climax - like "the impossible is possible tonight, tonight." With that whole string section going crazy. Now that is orgasmic.

</font>

Ok, ok ... so the outtro to Ruby is more like when you are lying in bed with your limp cack in your hand and all is right with the world. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif (execpt for the mess on your chest.)
Ya that's it.

c

Mayfuck
05-10-2002, 10:22 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:
The part in Rhinoceros right after the guitar solo and before "Open your eyes...," where it builds with the first half of the same riff that's used at the very beginning and between verses, except halfway through it freezes, slows, and then crashes down in chords instead.

Duhduhduh-duh-duhduhduh-duh-duhduhduhduh-<font color=red>DUH</font>-<font color=green>DUH</font>-<font color=purple>DUH</font>-<font color=blue>DUH!!!!!!!</font>

I thought I was going to wet myself when they played it at the Metro.</font>

Mayfuck
05-10-2002, 10:24 PM
The solo and the "Destroy the mind destory the body..." part in Fuck You. All the best elements of that song just come together perfectly at those parts.

nevermind
05-10-2002, 10:50 PM
i want something new, what am i sposed to do? i, i love you. yeaaaahh iiii love you. its true...

duhn duhn duhn.....duhn duhn duhn..
..duhn duhn duhn......

lifes a bummmmer...when you're a hummer....lifes a draaaeeaaaeeaag.

*visits heaven for awhile*

leaf
05-11-2002, 07:54 PM
today

NegativeSleep
05-11-2002, 08:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lie:

I thought I was going to wet myself when they played it at the Metro.</font>

<FONT COLOR="gray">You read my mind, buddy!

------------------
Negative Sleep

"I pity the foo, thug or soul who tries to take over the world,
then goes home crying to his mama"
- Mr. T.

liquid slide
05-11-2002, 08:15 PM
when the sitar melts into the pumpkins sound in hummer. could there be a better 10 seconds/song/album/band???

------------------
the aeroplane moves whether you want it to or not. cram packed with fuel injected jet missile action, this is war motherfucker and don't you forget it for one second.

Mariner
05-11-2002, 08:37 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crono:
The first line of the second verse of 'To Sheila' (underappreciated IMO) when the drum kicks in.
</font>

Right on, amazing use of a drum loop.

-the first 10 seconds of Raindrops + Sunshowers; the first time I heard it a big smile spread across my face...it was all good.

-the intro to Speed Kills, the gentle ebow-ish guitar intermingling with the looped vocals, as Jimmy starts laying down that laid-back beat

-in Behold! The Night Mare, Billy's voice when he sings "the coarse tiiiiide"

-any ten seconds in 'Hope'

-the outro of Marquis In Spades; the build-up to it during "see where we can mmmmmmMMMMGO!" is perfect, and then the syncopated instrumentation and "angels/barbed wire/fuck you/desire" are a killer combination.

CandyPotter
05-11-2002, 11:22 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Mariner:
-the intro to Speed Kills, the gentle ebow-ish guitar intermingling with the looped vocals, as Jimmy starts laying down that laid-back beat</font>

God that should have been on the album. I know someone who even had the intro on their answering machine.

<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">-the outro of Marquis In Spades; the build-up to it during "see where we can mmmmmmMMMMGO!" is perfect, and then the syncopated instrumentation and "angels/barbed wire/fuck you/desire" are a killer combination.</font>

MWAH. Yeah. I wanted to see that song live so bad. So underrated. I felt so vindicated when it showed up on Judas O. Judas O couldn't have turned out much differently if BC had just asked me what to put on it.

[This message has been edited by CandyPotter (edited 05-11-2002).]

Pump-tastic!
05-14-2002, 08:50 PM
bang, bang, you're dead... hole in yoouurr head...

------------------
jiggawhat?!?

strange_one
05-15-2002, 11:08 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by wounded:
the end of glass and the ghost children.</font>

Castro
05-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Ha! It's often hard enough to have a favourite track....but a favourite ten seconds?!

There are so many...

-The last descending run of the Hummer outro which falls into that full D chord.

-The Mellon Collie reprise outro to Thru the Eyes of Ruby.

-The fading piano outro of Farewell and Goodnight.

Most of the best ones have already been credited. Anyway, great thread.

------------------
http://www.dribbleglass.com/posters/spiderman.jpg

smashing.ela
05-16-2002, 02:33 AM
in geek usa when everything go slow: " in a dream we are connected"

Mayfuck
05-16-2002, 02:40 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smashing.ela:
in geek usa when everything go slow: " in a dream we are connected"</font>

YES YES YES. How could I forget? About 1:40 onward I think when everything is going hard and fast "The disappointed disappear like they were never here" and then that soft chord comes in with the feedback drifting off into the distance. I remember listening to it for the first time totally caught me off guard and I was like Keanu, going "woah."

Travis Meeks
05-16-2002, 10:39 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Castro:

</font>

nice sig man

if there is a llama
05-17-2002, 02:34 PM
How could I forget! The outro to Beautiful when its trailing off and you can here "I'll be under your stairs forever..."

David

pale_princess
05-17-2002, 02:43 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ModernCheeze:
Other great 10-second James moments:

"Take Me Down," when the song builds under "when you sleep when you dream.." it to that lovely little plateau.

"Go," when the whole song stops except for James and the acoustic guitar, "we ran away, or so we thought..."

The short little E-bow solo in Stand Inside Your Love.

When the strings come in on "Believe."

The opening of Mayo (the first ten seconds and beyond). Even though Billy played it, we can credit it to James, yes?

</font>

iha reprazent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

metal machine
05-18-2002, 12:12 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by SpFission:
I like the very end of Farewell and Goodnight, when the piano kicks in. I think it ends the album perfectly.</font>
yeah, it concludes the circle. the album ends exactly the way it started. beautiful.

Rens
05-21-2002, 05:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by CandyPotter:
My kneejerk reaction was the "she really loves to pray" transition in Geek USA,

BUT,

Hands down.

That album was huge, it was everything. The only reason why anyone here knows me.</font>

I don't know you. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

-ONTOPIC-
Every 10 seconds listed above and the previous page.

------------------
Rens Lohmann - Trading Page (http://www.xs4all.nl/~alohmann/index.html)

Brazil.Virex
05-21-2002, 07:15 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Injektilo:

</font>