View Full Version : SP song that got you into the music

Electro
04-26-2002, 10:35 AM
With me, the first pumpkins song i heard was Disarm. i heard it on the radio and i really liked it because it was so much better and different than what was on the radio and what i liked ("higher" by creed etc, "wonderfull" by everclear) at the time and it just got my attention.

RedBarron4
04-26-2002, 11:15 AM
Bullet with Butterfly Wings. It is my all time favorite song. MCIS was the first cd I ever had and i got it so i could hear Bullet, Zero, and 1979. When I firs heard bullet i thought it was way to heavy for me.... yet at the same time it was totaly awsome!... and i just had to keep on listening to it. It was like the first time you get off, you feel really naughty but at the same time you like it.
I got MCIS for my birthday that year and to this day that album is like my bible. Every song on that album is amazing.
It wasn't long after getting MCIS that i had bought the rest of their albums and was impatiently awaiting the release of the next one!

Travis Meeks
04-26-2002, 11:39 AM
for me it was drown...then Glynis

Marquis667
04-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Back in 94 a friend of mine was playing Siamese Dream, I only had to hear Soma...

Dead
04-26-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm gonna reply to this o-boardy topic for the heck of it http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

One day I wanted to get a depressing cd cause I was depressed.. So I went and decided to grab MCIS. I suppose I thought of it as a depressing cd because I had heard BWBW.. this was before Tonight Tonight came out. I don't know if it was before Zero or after, because they NEVER played it anywhere. Anyway, I didn't get into SP I liked a particular song is my point. BWBW didn't really grab my attention or anything. Once I got home I started playing it, and I ended up playing the entire album 3 times in a row. It totally ruled!

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited 04-26-2002).]

Graveflower
04-26-2002, 12:18 PM
Disarm

pale_princess
04-26-2002, 12:48 PM
all of sd.

Smiley
04-26-2002, 01:31 PM
The singles and videos from MCIS got my attention, but it was Muzzle that got me hooked. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

------------------
"love does not always have to be quiet and graceful, it can be boisterous and loud and even rude, to shout above the din to be heard sometimes... if only to bring a little peace" -bc
http://www.suicidekiss.org

Mustard
04-26-2002, 01:42 PM
cherub rock was the first that captured me, back in the SD days.

ATOMBOMBboy
04-26-2002, 02:26 PM
I remember hearing Today back in the day and thought of it as a catchy little tune and didn't think to much of it, but when I heard BWBW for the first time I went nuts. I remember I was in michigan visiting the Grandparents and mom and pops had given me some spending money for the vacation and I wanted to buy the CD, but at the time didn't know it was a double disc, so when I got to the store and found out it was a double disc I knew I couldn't afford it so I had to buy the cassettes first. I listened to dawn til dusk so much that the tape broke, but I convinced grandpa to buy me the CD. So I guess BWBW was the groubdbreaker there for me.

The Gaddrow
04-26-2002, 02:40 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Electro:
... Disarm ...what was on the radio and what i liked ("higher" by creed etc, "wonderfull" by everclear) at the time....</font> You didn't hear Disarm until '98?

Zero23
04-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Mayonaise 9/5/94. Watching this song live for the first time is what officially got me hooked on SP. Not too mention about 5 feet in front of Billy during the solo. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

-Mike

*side note, is there even a slight chance that a copy of this show exists?

smiling politely
04-26-2002, 02:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
You didn't hear Disarm until '98?

</font>

Those songs came out in 1999.

Yup, they sure did.

Aeroplane
04-26-2002, 03:39 PM
*sigh . . . alright! sd (all of it too)

Reyngel
04-26-2002, 04:47 PM
The first SP song I ever heard was Today while coming across the music video back when it came out. Years later my friend played Zero in the car. But the first song that got me into them was Crestfallen. I borrowed my friend's copy of Adore the week it came out.

Stearnsie
04-26-2002, 05:11 PM
Definitely PUG. I was shocked and astounded when I heard it.
Sooo... I'm a late bloomer.

Civic Mice
04-26-2002, 05:18 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley:
The singles and videos from MCIS got my attention, but it was Muzzle that got me hooked. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

</font>

What he said.
I still remember hearing Muzzle on the radio, on some staticy, faded New York station, and being wowed.

The Gaddrow
04-26-2002, 05:37 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by smiling politely:
Those songs came out in 1999.</font>
Ok, you're right.

You didn't hear Disarm until '99?

sarmatianus
04-26-2002, 06:29 PM
I had heard some of the singles, but never really listened to them. The first SP I really got into was a live boot from the Adore tour.

sarmatianus

Electro
04-26-2002, 09:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by The Gaddrow:
Originally posted by smiling politely:
Those songs came out in 1999.</font>
Ok, you're right.

You didn't hear Disarm until '99?

yeah, ive only really listened to them since recently (like a year ago) so im still new. after i heard disarm, i thought it was only one of their experimental songs, and the rest of it was just Gen X weirdness (just go with me, i didnt know anything about them and i was about 13 and fruity at the time so everything older than me just seemed strange) but after i heard bullet
i just basicly wanted to hear everything else they did and im slowly getting to it.

Affectation
04-27-2002, 12:57 PM
<font color=00ff33>Landslide.

mpp
04-27-2002, 01:26 PM
i saw the cherub rock video at 3 in the morning and that is was great

the next day i bought SD and the rest is history

Death rock boy
04-27-2002, 02:55 PM
I too was a late bloomer. I remember my friend Daniel got into them around 96/97, and he brought a tape of them around my house and left it there by mistake. It used to have the first 7 songs of MCIS on it, and I used to listen to Tonite Tonite, Here is no Why and the verse of Zero up to the chorus. I thought his voice was funny and remembered I'd seen the tonite tonite video and he was bald. I didn't think much of it, his voice made it sound like the band was some funny cartoony thing, like a villain from Dexter's lab or any other Cartoon Network show.
Later on, I borrowed Siamese Dream because I saw it in my friends house, and liked the cover, and thought the song name "Silverfuck" was hilarious. I listened to Cherub Rock the night I borrowed it, and some part of me sent shivers up my spine, but I kind of chose to ignore them, and on the whole neglected to listen to the CD, only listened to Cherub Rock a few times, and gave it back ... I just couldn't seem to get into them.

Then, one night, at about 2am, I put on a TV music show called "Later with Jools Holland" that usually had good bands, and made a big cup of tea and a bowl of cornflakes, and set down to eat.

I noticed as the camera whizzed past a bald guy and a japanese guy ... I recognised these from the TEITBITE video that was quite popular when Batman came out .. and thought I'd leave it on (the stuff I had heard had been ok .. right?).

So, the camera stopped whizzing around, Jools Holland made his little introduction ... and called upon The Smashing Pumpkins to open the show.

Without warning, Billy launched into the opening riff to Ava Adore, and I was absolutely astounded ... completely and utterly bowled over. So much so in fact, my cornflakes fell off of my lap and half drowned my cat. I watched in complete amazement .. and the next day went up my friends house and got every piece of SP media he owned to watch/look/read/listen ... and suddenly everything clicked into place ... the cartoon voice suddenly became this amazing bald songwriter, the zany guitars suddenly became these beautiful and amazing sounds ... and I finally learnt to enjoy the Zero chorus I'd previously hated. That was 1998, I went on holiday a few weeks later (just after adore was released) and took a load of SP tapes ... and it was the coolest holiday I've been on.

2002, 4 years on, 4 years older, from 14 to 18 .. and I'm still a huge fan, all because I happened to catch them on TV one night ... and that performance made me want to like them.

Feeliums
04-27-2002, 03:38 PM
Cherub Rock! My cousin listened to them when I was little and when I was old enough to appreciate it I remembered the song... I think I was 10 or 11 when I got my first Pumpkins album though! It doesn't work anymore, it had to be replaced

The Gaddrow
04-27-2002, 04:23 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Death rock boy:
I too was a late bloomer...</font>Great post.

neopryn
04-27-2002, 04:49 PM
Believe it or not, it was The Everlasting Gaze. Although I was little during SD and MCIS eras, I still knew the singles and everything and watched all the videos. Of course, I didn't hear anything about them between Jonathan's death and this one cold December '99 night. I was alone in my house and really bored, so I flipped on the radio and they were saying "This is the new song from the Pumpkins." I thought, "Hey, I remember t****, so I left it on and was totally blown away. Since Machina wasn't out I had to rush out and buy MCIS. After being enthralled with that, I got Adore and found an old SD tape my dad had. I got Machina the day it came out and listened to TEG on repeat for a couple days.

SP33
04-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Zero

------------------
"We have the answer to your question. The answer to your guess is that we never fucking left!" 12.02.00

I have more than the regular shoes... (http://www.angelfire.com/co/mypumpkin/boots.html)

zekix
04-27-2002, 05:53 PM
Tonight Tonight got me to buy Lull, and Rhinoceros got me hooked.

------------------
http://www.angry-nerd.net/al/zoonie_black.jpg

Electro
04-27-2002, 06:07 PM
pretty much it seems like everybody had an amazing experience with them, like they didnt know anything about them but suddenly something clicked and they were a completely different band to them. thats what i love about this band, billy just seems to know how to touch stuff through his music that no other band can. If you first dont like his voice because it "just isnt a singer voice" then you will after you just listen, because his voice is perfect for his music: sometimes loud and angry, sometimes mellow and calm, almost a ****phor for life. his music is a ****phore, it always symbolises something.

DoctaSoma
04-27-2002, 06:17 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by RedBarron4:
Bullet with Butterfly Wings. It is my all time favorite song. MCIS was the first cd I ever had and i got it so i could hear Bullet, Zero, and 1979.

</font>

Yeah, I got MCIS for BWBW. It was the only pumpkins song I knew at the time. It was also my first CD ever. It took me quite a while to get into it though. The second song I fell for was Bodies, then Fuck You and then songs like Tonite, 33, In the Arms of sleep. After that I got into the whole thing and went hunting for all their other albums, which was surprisingly difficult in Tokoroa a small town in central New Zealand.

-Ben

Woody
04-27-2002, 07:17 PM
This is slightly embarrassing.

In 1996, I heard 'Tonight Tonight' on Top of the Pops (UK music show). I was in awe. I thought how amazing the song was, but was stunned that they had this really shitty singer.
Anyways, I remember seeing the single, and the album (limited edition box. Which I didnt fucking get) in a local record shop. Oh how i wish I had bought the album. But I didn't. Being rather dumb and foolish I considered the album to be too 'heavy' for me (based on a small clip of 'Zero' I had heard).

Yes, I was 14 at this time. Embarrassingly, I was ignorant of all things music.

Cue December 99. 3 years later. My musical knowledge at this point vastly expanded, I get Napster. Whilst talking to my mate about which song to d/l next, I remember the song 'Tonight', though the name of the band escaped me (Hard to believe, I know).
to cut a long story short...I d/l lots of SP songs after that, and thereafter bought all the albums and anything SP related I could get my hands on. Oh, and I also learned that the lead singer wasn't shit.

There. Now my dirty little secret is out.

------------------
no bodies ever knew, no bodies felt like you.

Graveflower
04-27-2002, 09:22 PM
It made me cry by the way. (I was 10, forgive me)

Ensoul
04-27-2002, 10:33 PM
I saw 'Today' on Saturday Night Live. I thought they were pretty good. I then saw the Tonight, Tonight video on MTV2 and the song rocked and it remains my favorite song of all time.

nickis
04-27-2002, 11:12 PM
Zero.

I remember in maybe 5th grade, my older brother borrowed MCIS from a friend and I can recall sitting on his bed listening to Zero and Tonight, Tonight and flipping through the liner notes. I really liked them, and eventually I listened to all of the first disc and loved it all, but for some idiotic reason (I was in 5th grade remember) I never even bothered to try the second disc except for 1979 once in a while. So anyway I was infatuated with that first disc for quite a while, Adore came out and my brother bought it but I never really cared for it much and I lost interest about there. I didn't pay attention when Machina came out or even know when they broke up, but then a little more than a year ago my brother (who I'm on the same network with) shared his harddrive and I was browsing through his MP3s. I found MCIS and not wanting to rip it for myself, copied it to my own harddrive. Now being significantly less moronic than I was in 5th grade, I listened to the second disc all the way through and found that I loved it every bit as much as the first, and decided I must acquire more from this band I had neglected for so long. From there I found all the other great music that existed and I was hooked, and here I am today. I still kick myself for knowing about SP much earlier but just sort of letting my interest dwindle, and then getting into them a few months after they break up. I have very poor timing I suppose.

metal machine
04-28-2002, 10:57 AM
bwbw. i found myself singing on that song, even though i hadn't heard it for a long while, and didn't notice it when i did. so i checked out the cd. and it kind of kicked everything else i knew's ass.

Salena Child
04-28-2002, 02:41 PM
i first heard drown in 1993 and had no idea who it was or the name of the song. i fell in love with it and use to wait for hours for it to come on the radio.
one day i decided to call the radio station and ask. i sang the song to the dj. he told me it was the pumpkins.
later i discovered that the killer in me is the killer in you song (disarm) and that today song was the same band. i thought all of those songs were awesome too.
i became addicted. thats my little story. that is all.

CandyPotter
04-28-2002, 04:19 PM
First SP song that I heard (saw): Siva on 120 minutes. I was either 14 or 15. I thought they were freaks. At that point in my life, though, if it didn't involve Robert Smith or Martin Gore, or Morrissey, I just didn't give a shit.

First SP song that made me buy an SP album (tape): Disarm. I think this directly coincided with the beginning my obsession with The Beautiful South.

Pisces Iscariot: Back in the day, Big Rick Stewart at Live 105 would play the cover of Landslide just to taunt people. Like, nah nah, it's import only! I think in 1994 I convinced myself that it must be on this bside CD called Pisces Iscariot. When I discovered it didn't, the CD stayed in my glove box, for, I swear, something on the order of 2 years. I only started listening to it after MCIS.

Siamese Dreamer
04-29-2002, 02:07 AM
<FONT COLOR="BLUE">It's funny becuase I try and remeber this and can't.... Why did I have to kill all those brain cells??

I recently thought that it was Tonight Tonight, the first time I went home to Canada and I was in the rockies with my childhood best friend and we were listening to it, an coincedently, the little town I lived in was on the shore of this real big lake... so now when I hear "in your city by the lake, the place where you were born" I almost cry becuase it is so like my life!!!

but I know I heard Today and Disarm b4 that so I have been a fan scince I was like....10 or something</FONT>

<HR COLOR="BLUE">

------------------

Nothing Left To Say,
And All I've Left 2 Do,
Is Run away From U

smashingjj
05-02-2002, 03:28 PM
I'm a late bloomer too. hmm...the first song I ever heard of them was 1979. that and tonight i thought were awesome. but the first album I bought by SP was Adore, and after quite a while it got me hooked.

people told me it was an album with only ballads on it. lol... after hearing it a few times in music stores I found out it wasn't, but some songs made it worth buying it. now it's maybe my favourite SP album.

------------------
Mallow (http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/mallow)

http://www.director-file.com/cunningham/5226.jpg

Digital Grey
05-02-2002, 03:51 PM
Plume and Starla the year PI came out.

niggaaz

/Max

CandyPotter
05-02-2002, 05:20 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Siamese Dreamer:
<FONT COLOR="BLUE">It's funny becuase I try and remeber this and can't</FONT><HR COLOR="BLUE"></font>

Ow.

whiteSPider
05-03-2002, 03:28 AM
long story short...1994: on vacation in new jersey, my cousin mentioned lollopalooza with the pumpkins headlining. i got home around the time of my birthday and right when i turned the radio on, it was spaceboy...and i thought it was disarm...and then when i got siamese dream for my birthday, it was the entire album...thank you pumpkins!

xoxo
r o b y n* 2002

------------------
"others conquered love but i ran. i sat in my room and i drew up a plan"

^{`;}^

IM:XoPumpkiNGurLoX

liquid slide
05-03-2002, 07:44 AM
mine was today, i remember being 10 and seeing the video of this weird guy driving round in an ice cream truck in the middle of the desert. of course the thing i loved about the song was the intro

------------------
the aeroplane moves whether you want it to or not. cram packed with fuel injected jet missile action, this is war motherfucker and don't you forget it for one second.

Frankie Machine
05-03-2002, 10:49 AM
I was breaking up with my bf, driving aimlessly late at night, depressed. Muzzle came on the radio and I stopped crying and fighting in my head to listen to the song. It was like...ahhhhh, yes. There's something better than this mess I'm in.

It's hard to describe in words.

[This message has been edited by Frankie Machine (edited 05-03-2002).]