View Full Version : the fiery furnaces - widow city

Shapan
07-19-2007, 07:51 PM
this has been leaked for about a week, how do you guys like it? there are links in the leak thread sticky.

ive listened to it quite a few times, i love it. i miss matt's vocals but ive always preferred eleanor's. clear signal from cairo, my egyption grammar, restorative beer, and cabaret of the seven devils are all instant fiery furnaces classics. this album is much more straightforward than bitter tea was(if you thought bitter tea was too drawn out they'll probably recapture you with this), the most accessible work they've had since EP. still conceptual and has its share of eleanor telling her stories.

Nidhogg
07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
I think it's their weakest album, but I'm a really big fan and I still enjoy it. I think it's weird that you say it's much more straightforward than Bitter Tea; the songs on that album had a much more traditional verse/chorus structure than Widow City.

Shapan
07-20-2007, 12:24 AM
bitter tea was one of my favorite releases from last year but often times song of the songs would lag. straightforward in a sense that its more engaging, ive never used verse/chorus structure to define FF since gallowbird's bark

Eiki
07-20-2007, 03:29 AM
am i the only person who can't stand this band?

Rockin' Cherub
07-20-2007, 09:26 AM
listening to the fiery furnaces is kinda like this

(3 minutes into the album) wow this is quirky and playful and cool and i dig it
(10 minutes into the album) hey didn't she just sing the exact same melody
(20 minutes into the album) oh i know that part, TEMPO CHANGE
(after track 45) wow i feel like i've listened to the same goddamn song about a billion times

oh i so can't wait for another overproduced album of theirs with the same brilliant formula

Nidhogg
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
To say that The Fiery Furncaes are formulaic is incredibly ridiculous.

Shapan
07-21-2007, 09:22 AM
different strokes, i really dont find them repetitive.

i just really love this band