View Full Version : Question about Zeitgeist iTunes version - is it "real"?

Somatose
07-12-2007, 10:05 PM
So I really don't know terribly much about iTunes. Yeah, I know about Apple and the iPod and all that stuff, but I've never "used" iTunes before or even been to their site before the anouncement about Zeitgeist.

As far as I can tell there is no actual physical CD you can buy from iTunes with a blue cover and "Stellar" on the tracklist - but I just wanted to ask here to make sure. The Wikipedia page on Zeitgeist has me a bit confused. It makes it seem to me like they are actually selling CDs instead of downloaded mp3s.

I appreciate the help!

gossamer1234
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
when buying off of itunes you get to download the songs. they aren't mp3's in the sense that you can play them in media player, winamp or musicmatch. i think you can only play them in itunes. you can, however, burn it to disc afterwards. and rip it as an mp3 then. eitherway, you are paying to do what you used to do for free from napster. i prefer to buy physical albums with inserts.

Somatose
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I prefer actual CDs with inserts as well, which is why I wanted to ask to be sure. Thank you very much for the answer gossamer1234. I would really like to have a copy of Stellar, but I suppose I'll just wait until it's a B-side.

It's a shame there isn't a "real" version of Zeitgeist with a blue cover, I kinda liked the look of that the best. I suppose I could buy another copy of the regular version and leave it out in the sun for a month to get the same effect. :P

Anyway, thanks again!

ScaresBums
07-12-2007, 11:16 PM
When you download from iTunes, you get the cd as protected aac files with attached cover art which is the blue cover. You can print the cover art - it will be cd size. You can burn the protected aac files as a music cd in itunes and it will lose it's protected status. it's worth it for the bonus track

ordinary apathy
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=145458

Smiley
07-13-2007, 12:25 AM
What do you consider a "real" album, anyway? Is it the packaging, or is it the songs? My iTunes Zeitgeist is real enough for me. I have it on two computers, two mp3 players, and CD for my car. All this talk about "what color is your Zeitgeist?" is nonsense. My Zeitgeist is something I listen to - not look at. Liner notes are nice, but secondary. The digital liner notes will do.

ordinary apathy
07-13-2007, 12:31 AM
I like having the physical album. Liner notes are one of my favorite parts of the whole CD purchasing experience. I'm not that hardcore of a collector, but I want to have Zeitgeist displayed on a shelf with all the other albums. Any other band and I wouldn't care, but when it comes to SP I guess I'm just old school. *shrugs*

al0137
07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I like having the physical album. Liner notes are one of my favorite parts of the whole CD purchasing experience. I'm not that hardcore of a collector, but I want to have Zeitgeist displayed on a shelf with all the other albums. Any other band and I wouldn't care, but when it comes to SP I guess I'm just old school. *shrugs*

Nothing on the internets is "real" silly... (plus it's lossy.. so it really only qualifies as an "online" version really..)

JRiordan
07-13-2007, 12:53 AM
MP3 = not real

a figment of the ipod generation's collective mind

bja1288
07-13-2007, 01:00 AM
you make me real.

Skylarq
07-13-2007, 01:08 AM
a door?