View Full Version : raw food diet

Boycott Graceland
07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
a friend of mine is living like this right now, and he lost like 80 pounds in just a few months. all raw veggies and fruits and nuts, nothing else. supposedly cooking vegetables kills off a ton of the vitamins and good stuff that you get eating them raw.

i also once met a kid who ate only raw meat, but was just a punk rock douchebag who was doing it for shock value. also, he claimed his tastebuds didn't work.

anyone here tried this diet?

Travis Meeks
07-12-2007, 08:28 PM
it's a all the rage in Hollywood right now
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/projects/hbe/Shauk%20Palmito4.JPG

fucking hipsters!

Sepiae
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I thought about it and then I looked at some recipes and realized that heat gives us a lot of very good things.

Boycott Graceland
07-12-2007, 08:41 PM
it's a all the rage in Hollywood right now
http://www.anth.ucsb.edu/projects/hbe/Shauk%20Palmito4.JPG

fucking hipsters!
those guys are eating wood?

Boycott Graceland
07-12-2007, 09:15 PM
ashley and i have done this a few times. its fucking hard as fuck and super expensive. we did it as part of a 'cleansing' thing, so you are supposed to take a bunch of vitamins and drink this like...disgusting green mixture that tastes like pond water. we didnt do that bit, just the vitamins and raw food. i stopped because i lost...way too much weight, and it had only been like a few weeks. i'm already dangerously thin so i don't need it.

you do lose a lot of weight even though you eat like nonstop throughout the day. i remember at night for dinner we'd make like raw cleaned mushrooms stuffed with finely chopped celery with like a drop of olive oil on it and it was delicious. you do take for granted what heat, salt and pepper add to food.
is it really that expensive? i bought at least like three days worth of fruits and veggies yesterday for about $10. big thing of celery, baby carrots, bunch of bananas, three apples and some orange juice.

did you feel good while you were doing it, or just faint and hungry all the time?

also, my friend who does this diet keeps trying to get me to eat a big piece of ginger, because "it will blow everything out of every hole you have".

Ever
07-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I eat all my vegetables and fruits raw and I suppose I don't like meat when it's too well done.

kristin xp
07-12-2007, 09:23 PM
when i had to fast for surgery i just drank a lot of broths and found that the ones with garlic in them help suppress your appetite better. if that helps heh.

but you still need fats and carbs for a lot of your neurotransmitters to work properly, so i don't see that being a very good diet for too long

Boycott Graceland
07-12-2007, 09:30 PM
i guess that sounds right. the people i know who've done it all seem a little flighty and tired all the time

Pantomime
07-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Everything in moderation folks. Have your fruit and veg and your pizza and beer.

wHATcOLOR
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Everything in moderation folks. Have your fruit and veg and your pizza and beer.

<i>everything</i> in moderation? that's a bit extreme

ohnoitsbonnie
07-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I am not moderating my air

Boycott Graceland
07-14-2007, 12:08 AM
i'll moderate y'lip

with my cleats

Mo
07-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Shit, this diet actually helps? I just have to try it out.

smurfing
07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
too much work. i would do it if i lived in a commune and there were others to work out the logistics. anyway everyday my family has tons of delicious food around for at least breakfast and dinner. its impossible to not overeat

murgle
07-14-2007, 02:52 AM
supposedly cooking vegetables kills off a ton of the vitamins and good stuff that you get eating them raw.

Yeah, but cooking also breaks down cell walls which allows your body to actually get to (and then absorb/use) all the vitamins and nutrients.

I suppose I could do a diet like this, but I don't have time to stand around at work and munch on carrot sticks in between making drinks.

brendo_91
07-14-2007, 03:09 AM
murgle, good point - but maybe thats part of why it works for weight loss, like your body has to do more work or something?

ammy
07-14-2007, 03:12 AM
cooking doesn't "kill" them, but releases them into the water/steam.
so uhh.. drink the water you cook them in?
i thought i had a point, but i'm pretty much just making shit up.

ohnoitsbonnie
07-14-2007, 03:14 AM
You could begin a stock with the water if that's the case

Boycott Graceland
07-14-2007, 05:51 AM

jenniferkate
07-15-2007, 03:32 AM
i had a boss who was way into raw foods. she dropped a ton of weight quickly, but it also seemed to emphasize the whole psycho cunt from hell thing. so yeah.

tear stained glass
07-15-2007, 03:51 AM
you know what's better at cleaning "toxins" out of your body than a bunch of raw vegetables? your <i>liver</i>.

kristin xp
07-15-2007, 04:10 AM
you know what's better at cleaning "toxins" out of your body than a bunch of raw vegetables? your <i>liver</i>.

that's what i'm sayin. if you're having that much of a problem with energy in that you have to seek out some crazy strange restrictive diet.....maybe you should get some blood work done?.... i mean i hate to say it, but there's a reason our diets have evolved to incorporate these foods i.e. raw protiens and carbohydrates.
maybe its to help you 'cleanse' your system, but even anorexics get a 'manic' stage in which they feel full of energy but it's just a psychosomatic symptom of deprivation and not an actual energy boost. come on now.