View Full Version : anyone got the 180g vinyl yet?

mccririck
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Has it been released yet? Anyone listened to it?

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Hello? Anyone??????????

Spaldz
07-09-2007, 05:20 PM
This message is hidden because mccririck is on your ignore list.

omz
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
don't you post about how shit Zeitgeist is in every thread? why would you care about the vinyl?

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:24 PM
don't you post about how shit Zeitgeist is in every thread? why would you care about the vinyl?

Because I want to hear it. Now can anyone answer the fucking question??????

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Doesn't the vinyl only come in one weight?

Yes and that weight is 180g.

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
It's not available yet

Right, thanks. I did wonder. people were saying last week that it was coming out same time as the CD.

Ben Linus
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
This got delayed. No one knows when its actually coming out now.

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I asked Steve Hoffman if he was mastering this, or if he knew who was mastering it, and he said he doesnt know, sometimes he only finds out he's mastering something on the actual day.

JRiordan
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
I asked Steve Hoffman if he was mastering this, or if he knew who was mastering it, and he said he doesnt know, sometimes he only finds out he's mastering something on the actual day.

So he hasn't actually done any work on it yet???? that sucks

How could anyone possibly have it currently then?

Cool As Ice Cream
07-09-2007, 05:48 PM
i peed on it and they were all fucked up. sorry folks, no vinyl for now. i really had to go.

mellon_c0llie
07-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I ordered mine from an actual record store and it's been delayed indefinately.

bja1288
07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
no worries. billy pinky sweared we'd get a 180g.

mccririck
07-09-2007, 05:58 PM
So he hasn't actually done any work on it yet???? that sucks

How could anyone possibly have it currently then?

Well I dont know if he's doing it!

JRiordan
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Well I dont know if he's doing it!

It was listed on "that one webpage" (which I'm conveniently forgetting now) that he was doing it. But that may not have been 100% confirmed, final info.

mccririck
07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
It was listed on "that one webpage" (which I'm conveniently forgetting now) that he was doing it. But that may not have been 100% confirmed, final info.

Yeah, well if he is he hasnt been told about it yet, looks like it wont be out for a month or two.

Hypno+Raygun
07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
I emailed Acousticsounds.com who I placed my order with. This is their reply.

The Zeitgeist LP does not have a set release date yet. When the record
company publishes a release date, we will reflect that on our site.
Until then, we'll continue to take preorders for this title.
Thanks,

jm9843
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
It's available. You just can't buy it anywhere.

telex
07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
guess i'm not buying zeitgeist! i already have a cd with a preferable track listing than any of the commercially available versions. the lp was my only bet.

brendo_91
07-10-2007, 12:58 AM
i hear that it was ruined by overcompression and other technical mumbo jumbo so the record label decided that they wouldn't release it

jimmy1974
07-10-2007, 01:00 AM
september
from a label rep

Fritter
07-10-2007, 01:09 AM
What's up with this mcirickckjk dude and sucking Steve Hoffmans cock.

brendo_91
07-10-2007, 01:32 AM
mcsucksdick likes to think he knows stuff and things where he's really just regurgitating words that he's learnt without knowing what they actually mean.

hey mckcrickscircmkscimerkcjerck, explain compression for me, in your own words.

Martyr
07-10-2007, 04:42 AM
mcsucksdick likes to think he knows stuff and things where he's really just regurgitating words that he's learnt without knowing what they actually mean.

hey mckcrickscircmkscimerkcjerck, explain compression for me, in your own words.

ha ha

*thread dies*

mccririck
07-10-2007, 05:48 AM
Compression is a techinique use to make the difference in volume between the quiet "subtle nuances" and the loudest parts of the music less, thus reducing the dynamic range. It has been used for decades, a notable example is the Beatles' Pepper album where the drums are compressed. It is used by a lot of radio stations, some compress more than others, to make the volume of tracks seem similar and also because it is quite useful in noisy listening environments like cars for example.

Since about 1996 it has been increasingly applied to CDs, both new releases and remasters. Some albums have ended up so compressed the musical dynamics are destroyed.

brendo you're going to have to ask me a harder question. Compression is quite a simple concept. I'm beginning to wonder how much of a sound engineer you are if you think concepts like compression are above non-engineers.

panopticon
07-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Ahh the internets

hcueva
07-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Compression is a techinique use to make the difference in volume between the quiet "subtle nuances" and the loudest parts of the music less, thus reducing the dynamic range. It has been used for decades, a notable example is the Beatles' Pepper album where the drums are compressed. It is used by a lot of radio stations, some compress more than others, to make the volume of tracks seem similar and also because it is quite useful in noisy listening environments like cars for example.

Since about 1996 it has been increasingly applied to CDs, both new releases and remasters. Some albums have ended up so compressed the musical dynamics are destroyed.

brendo you're going to have to ask me a harder question. Compression is quite a simple concept. I'm beginning to wonder how much of a sound engineer you are if you think concepts like compression are above non-engineers.

You still suck.

ChristHimself!
07-10-2007, 06:06 AM

amen.

mccririck
07-10-2007, 06:26 AM
You still suck.

I'm gutted you think so.

brendo_91
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Compression is a techinique use to make the difference in volume between the quiet "subtle nuances" and the loudest parts of the music less, thus reducing the dynamic range.

Ok, I guess that is.... kind of sorta right?

A compressor is a dynamics processing unit that reduces transient peaks over a set threshold by a user-defined ratio, reacting at a speed defined by the attack and release controls. Yes, it reduces dynamic range, increasing RMS voltage and decreasing peak voltage, allowing the entire signal to be turned up higher without clipping.

Now, explain the sound of compression. inculding references to "pumping" and "breathing". When does compression become limiting?

If you've really been reading that mastering forum for years, this should be childs fucking play to you. It seems though, that you're talking out your arse and don't actually know what compression when used within a mix instead of over an overall mix sounds like. For all you know that snare on Neverlost might just be turned up higher than normal, and not compressed like you think it is.

Awkward Pause
07-10-2007, 09:13 AM

Truth.

ChristHimself!
07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Now, explain the sound of compression. inculding references to "pumping" and "breathing". When does compression become limiting?

when i compressed her arsehole it made wet noises, i was pure pumpin it and breathin hard and fast

then i limited the bitch by saying she couldn't go shopping

brendo_91
07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
thats hot.

severin
07-10-2007, 09:21 AM
when i compressed her arsehole it made wet noises, i was pure pumpin it and breathin hard and fast

i feel so betrayed

Martyr
07-10-2007, 09:28 AM

There are a number of people who have him on ignore by the looks of things.

if there is a llama
07-10-2007, 09:34 AM

Best response I've read in a while.

ChristHimself!
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM

If you've really been reading that mastering forum for years, this should be childs fucking play to you. It seems though, that you're talking out your arse and don't actually know what compression when used within a mix instead of over an overall mix sounds like. For all you know that snare on Neverlost might just be turned up higher than normal, and not compressed like you think it is.

bump for mccririck

mccririck
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm not going to pander any more to brendo, he's a cock, as he displayed yesterday.

ChristHimself!
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm not going to pander any more to brendo, he's a cock, as he displayed yesterday.

as easy as it would be to write you off as basically having shat yourself here at the prospect of having to come out with some theory instead of buzzwords, plz point out where brendo was a cock yesterday

mccririck
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Read this thread:

http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=145501

I also think Brendo is just showing off now. I am aware of the terms he mentions but they are not the only times music is hampered by compression. He's obviously newly qualified or he's just started his sound engineering course, and he thinks he's above everyone else.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
he's shat himself completely and utterly, imho.

"it sounds compressed"... so explain the sound of compression.

simple, no? if you are stating that it sounds compressed, that means you can hear compression. and if you can hear compression, it's not that far to actually explain what you're hearing. there's a very simple explanation of the sound of compression which i still haven't seen you spit out. you've got the baaaasic general concept right, but no specifics at all that suggest that maybe you actually have any idea what the fuck you are talking about.

So, once more: Explain the sound of compression, inculding references to "pumping" and "breathing". At what point does compression become limiting?

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 09:01 AM
I also think Brendo is just showing off now. I am aware of the terms he mentions but they are not the only times music is hampered by compression.

You're saying it sounds compressed. I just want to know what you hear as the sound of compression. How you would define what you're hearing.

novenadross
07-11-2007, 09:05 AM
This was the only version i had planned on purchasing, but have decided against it because STELLAR is not on it, and this album is worth nothing without that song

ChristHimself!
07-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Read this thread

fucking hell, if i'd made it to page two of that thread i would never have replied

He's obviously newly qualified or he's just started his sound engineering course, and he thinks he's above everyone else.

Pretty sure he's been doing it for a while, he does come off as cocky at times, but at least he knows what he's talking about.

In conclusion: shat it!

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
This was the only version i had planned on purchasing, but have decided against it because STELLAR is not on it, and this album is worth nothing without that song
how do you know? is there a tracklisting for this? we know they've had different tracklistings for the vinyls in the past.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Pretty sure he's been doing it for a while, he does come off as cocky at times, but at least he knows what he's talking about.

I can explain somewhat: the cockiness comes from having taught this shit to over 25 students last year. As part of that teaching experience, I know how to work out if someone "gets it" or not, and right up to now I am certain mcjerk here does not.

theFoulLasagna
07-11-2007, 09:20 AM
the drums in neverlost sound really dry to me. it doesn't sound at all like a band playing in a room. it sounds like a drummer playing somewhere, and the rest of the band playing somewhere else. it really bugs me. in fact, the sound of zeitgeist in general bugs me. the songs are quality, but they made some very interesting mixing choices that ruin a few of the songs. mostly it's to do with the vocals, but a lot of times i can't distinguish the guitar from the bass....it's just a big mush. it's especially bad in the chorus to "orchid." Maybe it's just due to bad hearing on my part, but it is really hard for me to hear what is going on in that song.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 09:29 AM
theFoulLasagna, you're not wrong - they are fairly dry in Neverlost. If they were heavily compressed, that would bring the room tone UP, making them less dry - like in Blue Skies Bring Tears from Machina II. This is the basis of my argument.

Ben Linus
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Bitches, I just want to know when this damn thing comes out.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM
and you got your answer - "not yet, with no date set".

Ben Linus
07-11-2007, 10:20 AM
and you got your answer - "not yet, with no date set".

Was that ever made official tho? On certain sites they put up the TBA.

I dont understand why SmashingPumpkins.com or Reprise.com doesn't have any info on the vinyl at all, it's like it doesn't exist.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM
i don't know, i was too busy getting paid money to ruin sounds with compressors to pay full attention, but i think in one of these vinyl threads there was an email or something from reprise, not sure though.

i doubt they would put it up for sale if it weren't forthcoming - this doesn't seem to be a case like the dvd where amazon mistakenedly put it up, because there's many more sources on this one it seems.

trev
07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
how is "not yet, with no date set" any different to "TBA"?

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
it's not. that's the point. that's all we know at this point! ben's asking a question we can't answer.

ChristHimself!
07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
so mccririck has publicly shat it and all but admitted he was talking out of his ass, sweet

now everyone can put him on ignore!

Ben Linus
07-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I admit, I asked a question that was already answered. I apologized, move on.

The point I was trying to make, why don't we have more info on this? Any other time I have boughten a vinyl from a band, they will have the sale info on their site, or the record company will. This release really doesn't have anything on it, and there never was an official "delay" update.

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
have you tried emailing reprise?

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
bump for mccririck

+ one

markpregen
07-11-2007, 11:33 PM
letterman held up the CD version on monday, so must be a manufacturing delay.. he always holds up the vinyl for a band if available.. (he held up Interpol's vinyl last night)

brendo_91
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Yes - I was thinking this. I believe it's been mentioned once before, but good catch dude.

I really want to hear this on vinyl too, believe it or not. I'm not just keeping this thread alive to bash mccsadlcjsfjoewjfasjfosajfsahfiq3hifhfdslcck over the head with compression.

JRiordan
07-11-2007, 11:49 PM
I mentioned that I wished Letterman had the vinyl so he could make good jokes about how it could cause great bodily harm if you attempt to play it in your CD player, "OR EVEN DEATH!".

And he just held up the new SPOON vinyl 5 minutes ago. He has Puff Daddy on the show tonight, now known simply as "Diddy". So he goes "Spoon used to be known as 'Teaspoon' but now it's just 'Spoon'".. hahaha, Dave rules

ChristHimself!
07-12-2007, 07:40 AM
this thread should probably die now

along with mccricick

mccririck
07-12-2007, 07:43 AM
mccririck lives. What's this about compression?

ChristHimself!
07-12-2007, 07:49 AM
What's compression?

fixed.

brendo_91
07-12-2007, 08:08 AM
:rofl:

mccririck
07-12-2007, 09:08 AM
Yeah it cracked me up too.

trev
07-12-2007, 02:36 PM
if anyone still cares about the vinyl, from an ebay sellers add just now:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Smashing-Pumpkins-Zeitgeist-180gm-Double-Vinyl-LP_W0QQitemZ180138606478QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1592QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PRE-ORDER FOR 30.07.07 RELEASE DATE

maybe? might be bullshit, who knows....

brendo_91
07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Googling the catalogue number reveals this:

http://www.therecordshack.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1547