View Full Version : billy corgan really shouldn't be playing "daydream" at these shows

Boycott Graceland
06-06-2007, 01:52 AM
he wrote it and whatever, but it's so bastardy of him. we know he's super stoked on being able to play all his smash hits every night, but he really shouldn't be trying to completely nullify the past and act like "i am the only real member of this band!" the way he's doing. i think i'd rather see a lengthy quasi-shameful and embarassing court battle of james & darcy VS. billy over band name rights (ala the beach boys) than how things are happening now.

this is the way the song is supposed to be, warts and all:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlW0u_KWO50"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlW0u_KWO50" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

smashapumpkin
06-06-2007, 01:57 AM
shaky voice on the vid, but you have a point

markpregen
06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
Don't worry, next time Ginger will sing it.

Desolation_Disco_King
06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
brutal vocals

but yeah, who cares
i miss the original lineup

but...still love that billy did daydream on his own

JRiordan
06-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the clip, but that was BAD, except for the cello.

Is there any question that Daydream is the worst quality song on Gish/SD/PI/MCIS? I will defer arguing about later albums.

steelfaerie
06-06-2007, 02:05 AM
No. Fail. Billy's version was beautiful. Sorry.

Shapan
06-06-2007, 02:39 AM
i would be upset if ginger sang this song. im all for the reunion but that would make me a little sick.

JRiordan
06-06-2007, 02:45 AM
i would be upset if ginger sang this song. im all for the reunion but that would make me a little sick.

Agree.

smashapumpkin
06-06-2007, 02:55 AM
nothing agaist her but that would be wrong

D.
06-06-2007, 02:59 AM
anyone have a link to this? i would love to hear this.

Shapan
06-06-2007, 03:02 AM
link to what? ginger doing daydream? she hasnt, i think billy did it by himself. at least i think so.

by the way daydream is one of the most underrated pumpkin songs around, i love that song.

JRiordan
06-06-2007, 03:03 AM
1 min clip of Daydream:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21_XGaOvrag

^ This is from the "secret show" thread.

Shapan
06-06-2007, 03:07 AM
its easier to embed it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21_XGaOvrag"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21_XGaOvrag" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

its good, not the same. i dont think james or darcy would care enough to take action against anything like this.

any version of daydream from here on is just a cover.

Boycott Graceland
06-06-2007, 03:28 AM
its easier to embed it

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/21_XGaOvrag"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/21_XGaOvrag" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

it sounds like a zwan song when he sings it

Starla
06-06-2007, 04:22 AM
if d'arcy wanted to sing the song, she should have re-joined the band. otherwise - billy can sing whatever he chooses. I tend to see his doing so, maybe as a means of remembering what was......not so much as a big "fuck you"

Martyr
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
From what I've seen/heard of this performance of Daydream it was beautiful and I was delighted to hear it. It means more coming from Billy than it ever did from D'arcy anyway.

Hypocaust
06-06-2007, 05:47 AM
i dont think james or darcy would care enough to take action against anything like this. Take action? What the fuck are they going to do?

Martyr
06-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Take action? What the fuck are they going to do?

Go on the road playing Gish from top to bottom.

James: "This is I am One and I co wrote this shit bitches"

James: "Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme"

D'arcy: "Nothing"

James: "Straight threw your motherfuckin' heart"

New Art Rioter
06-06-2007, 06:06 AM
he wrote it and whatever

Thread ends here really to be fair. It's his song, he can do what he likes with it. Was it OK for him to tease it on the 2000 Euro tour because he didn't sing it?

zebramask
06-06-2007, 06:32 AM

I can't believe I laughed so much at that -_-

redchandelier
06-06-2007, 06:32 AM

I agree it would be like Jeff singing Blew Away.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
i dont think james or darcy would care enough to take action against anything like this.
r.

???

What action could they take? Billy wrote the song, Billy owns the song?

Luke de Spa
06-06-2007, 06:50 AM
no it wouldn't, although that would be hilarious

Martyr
06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
I can't believe I laughed so much at that -_-

:)

fluxequalsrad
06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
wow billy singing daydream was pretty cool. nice clip.

fluxequalsrad
06-06-2007, 06:54 AM
ew... b0lly ressurected 'CTOM'...

Martyr
06-06-2007, 07:00 AM
i think i'd rather see a lengthy quasi-shameful and embarassing court battle of james & darcy VS. billy over band name rights (ala the beach boys) than how things are happening now.

that's ridiculous.

fluxequalsrad
06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
billy still wrote daydream people.

redchandelier
06-06-2007, 07:08 AM
no it wouldn't, although that would be hilarious

I know it's not quite the same because Daydream is Billy's song, but it'd still make me feel weird/sick/sad to hear Jeff or anyone else sing that song in the same way that it would make me feel weird/sick/sad to hear Ginger or anyone other than Bill or D'arcy sing Daydream. It's just the way I feel, I'm not saying I'm right or anything.

Corgan Rules
06-06-2007, 09:20 AM
who really cares????? This is Billy's song, just liek the rest of them! He can play whatever the hell he wants!

Cherub Angel
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
i think i'd rather see a lengthy quasi-shameful and embarassing court battle of james & darcy VS. billy over band name rights (ala the beach boys) than how things are happening now.

that's a little much, no?

MisterSquishyHalo
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
James and Darcy would not win in that fight.

dudehitscar
06-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I never understood why he let Darcy sing it on Gish. She's a terrible singer... and I like terrible singers. He wrote it. He can play it. THE END.

trev
06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
i like billy's version of daydream, and he originally sang it when he wrote it too, but i agree with the topic post of this thread.

billy has so much of a back catologue to choose from, it's almost bitchy for him to choose songs that were really dependant/influenced by james and darcy. he could have sung snail, or bye june, or suffer, so many others.

you'd think a piece of him, even if he wanted to play it, would wait. just like how he didn't play any pumpkins songs on stage for 6 years, i'm sure at times he wanted to, but he waited cause it would have felt wrong.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-06-2007, 10:04 AM
well when he proclaimed that he wanted the pumpkins back. He stated that he wanted 'his' songs back.

Daydream is billy's always have been, always will.

Sigma
06-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Shut the fuck up OP. That video of D'Arcy is awful and you know it.

caliphornia
06-06-2007, 10:12 AM
it's his song, he wrote it, he can do whatever he wants with it. who the fuck are you to say he can't use his own song.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-06-2007, 10:27 AM
there is a reason d'arcy sung on the song.

Because she got tits?

Ginger has tits, so now she can sing it.

Superstarla
06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Don't worry, next time Ginger will sing it.

Yeah, we all wanna see their blood on our hands.

skipgo
06-06-2007, 10:49 AM
they wouldn't have any legal rights against them anyway, not even if billy sang Blew Away (which i feel pretty confident he wouldn't do anyway). It's not illegal to play a song that someone else wrote, but I'm guessing James would be entitled to some sort of royalty if they played anything he wrote. I remember hearing about some bar that got fined because some record label guys staked them out when they weren't paying whatever dues they were supposed to pay for bands who played covers. I'm pretty sure the venues are the ones responsible for that. And as for Billy singing daydream, there's nothing unethical about that in the least. It's his song, end of story.

brendo_91
06-06-2007, 11:01 AM
the venue pays a blanket fee to cover all music played and performed in the venue.

runnersdialzero
06-06-2007, 11:08 AM
what is a good example of where people just slowly accept changes that they would have never dealth with had it been implemented all at once? 1984? the patriot act? tone that down a bit and thats the complacency of people on this board. I am stoked to hear the album but i completely side with the faction that thinks some things should be sacred. People that even know the track daydream were most likely young teens when the pumpkins were huge, and the band is at least 50% nostalgia (in a good way). so yes, bill is shitting on my fuzzy warbles.

and to people that say that ginger and jeff are the new pumpkins (inclugind ginger herself), then why are you told to leave for the Q and A? they are total touring musicians.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-06-2007, 11:11 AM
and to people that say that ginger and jeff are the new pumpkins (inclugind ginger herself), then why are you told to leave for the Q and A? they are total touring musicians.

Umm lets see, Maybe because they didnt have anything to do with the making of zeitgeist.

Like it has been said many times, Once J & G start to be able to participate in the musical process of making music, they will be cemented as pumpkins. I think they will be able to be pumpkins for as long as their hearts are into it.

Like it or not, darcy and james are not coming back. They had already been asked, and it didnt work out.

theghostchild
06-06-2007, 11:14 AM
if d'arcy wanted to sing the song, she should have re-joined the band. otherwise - billy can sing whatever he chooses. I tend to see his doing so, maybe as a means of remembering what was......not so much as a big "fuck you"

I couldnt agree more...who really gives a shit if Billy sings these songs...James and Darcy cant do shit about it anyways. Besides, Daydream is a gem in its own right. If Corgan were trying to pretend "he's the only Pumpkin", he would completely ignore any song touched by James and Darcy. And like what was just said, if either of them wanted to sing the songs, they'd be back in the band.

Some of you people just need to get over the past. Move on and enjoy what we now have!

runnersdialzero
06-06-2007, 11:32 AM
also, i am sure i am in the huge minority but i am honestly way more interested in personality/presence and history than playing chops. albeit, since they need to replace some members, you may as well get a good player, but when people start saying "fuck yes jeff sounded wicked, screw james", i just don't see it that way at all. and ginger singing backup? i thought i was hearing girls allowed. ginger is the mall-pop influence the band does not need.

skipgo
06-06-2007, 11:41 AM
also, i am sure i am in the huge minority but i am honestly way more interested in personality/presence and history than playing chops. albeit, since they need to replace some members, you may as well get a good player, but when people start saying "fuck yes jeff sounded wicked, screw james", i just don't see it that way at all. and ginger singing backup? i thought i was hearing girls allowed. ginger is the mall-pop influence the band does not need.

now, i'm with you on it being stupid when people say "screw james and d'arcy". They're definitely an important part of the history of this band, and I've said many times that I'd love nothing more than to see the original line up back together. But having songs that are 'sacred' and untouchable doesn't really make sense to me. In the end it just comes down to a matter of opinion, and I respect yours, but i personally don't see any reason for the band not to play whatever they want to play. I've been into this band for 16 years, so I certainly understand your nostalgia, but I personally LOVE to hear these old songs BECAUSE of my nostalgia. I never expected to hear Daydream live again, and it was so cool to be able to...I for one hope they keep dragging out the old stuff, no matter who the song is linked to.

New Art Rioter
06-06-2007, 11:43 AM
One thing I do miss loads is the banter between James and Billy. Some of those 96/97 shows had some wonderful comedic moments between them.

runnersdialzero
06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I never expected to hear Daydream live again, and it was so cool to be able to...I for one hope they keep dragging out the old stuff, no matter who the song is linked to.

i concede this is not the best example. especially since private show, billy solo acoustic, makes it seem like a treat.

TuralyonW3
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
sorry boycott, fail. billy's version was beautiful.

MiNiMaRk
06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
its easier to embed it

its good, not the same. i dont think james or darcy would care enough to take action against anything like this.

any version of daydream from here on is just a cover.

Bolly + Acoustic guitar = a very good thing

D'arcy + singing anthing more than background vocals = a very bad thing

skipgo
06-06-2007, 12:26 PM
i concede this is not the best example. especially since private show, billy solo acoustic, makes it seem like a treat.

Yes exactly! It's definitely a treat, I love that they did it. Now as far as playing something James wrote entirely, I don't even think they would do that, you know? It would really be as if billy was sending a big "fuck you" to james, which would be pretty immature (well, not that billy is above being immature at times... unless of course it was like an homage to James... I don't know). But anyway, I'm not sure what else would be weird for them to play, aside from songs like Blew Away or The Boy. Songs they co-wrote, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that. I really do hope we hear Mayonaise at some point. Something like the vieuphoria version, that was really great (complete with billy's laughter near the end!) :)

starlaluna
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Weird, I was just listening to Daydream this morning and thinking that I still don't find Darcy's voice horrible like everyone here says. She has a hoarse voice but I think its blends nicely with Billy's and doesn't over power him.

That said, I do think Billy's acoustic version is beautiful. If he wants to do something like that - singing acoustic by himself at the future shows then I' fine with it. But I do NOT agree with Jeff singing Jame's songs or Ginger singing Daydream. That would just ruin it for me. It is nice to hear old stuff and feel nostalgia when played live but why take the risk of ruining what we loved in the past that wont be the same now?

SpFission
06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
someone embed that Dr. Cox clip of him singing "wrong!!"

hnibos
06-06-2007, 01:04 PM
horse voice

andrewface
06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
im glad to see gish finally coming out wooo!

starlaluna
06-06-2007, 01:09 PM

I saw that already so its ok.

Btw, I love your avator. I think I already mentioned it.

runnersdialzero
06-06-2007, 01:19 PM

Ya your avatar rules for sure, its definitly a pic worth a thousand words...

fluxequalsrad
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Weird, I was just listening to Daydream this morning and thinking that I still don't find Darcy's voice horrible like everyone here says. She has a hoarse voice but I think its blends nicely with Billy's and doesn't over power him.

That said, I do think Billy's acoustic version is beautiful. If he wants to do something like that - singing acoustic by himself at the future shows then I' fine with it. But I do NOT agree with Jeff singing Jame's songs or Ginger singing Daydream. That would just ruin it for me. It is nice to hear old stuff and feel nostalgia when played live but why take the risk of ruining what we loved in the past that wont be the same now?

on the album its nice, but have you heard that junkie live? horse babble.

ciGarski
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
he wrote it and whatever, but it's so bastardy of him. we know he's super stoked on being able to play all his smash hits every night, but he really shouldn't be trying to completely nullify the past and act like "i am the only real member of this band!" the way he's doing. i think i'd rather see a lengthy quasi-shameful and embarassing court battle of james & darcy VS. billy over band name rights (ala the beach boys) than how things are happening now.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlW0u_KWO50"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlW0u_KWO50" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
shit was that the show corgan played in his boxers and his nuts were hanging out?

Steve Holt
06-06-2007, 02:47 PM
the song sucks regardless of who sings it.

Shapan
06-06-2007, 06:13 PM
you guys know what i mean. not so much against something like daydream, but like soma or even go or songs like that. if billy did those songs i dont think james would take any action because he doesnt care, even though he cowrote/wrote them.

i still think daydream should be sung by darcy and no one else unless its "im going crazy," heh. i dont mind that billy does it by himself these days, but its not the same as it was with darcy.

regardless of however many times billy does daydream, when i think of that song ill think of darcy.

Ghost Children
06-06-2007, 06:18 PM

You are fucking retarded

skipgo
06-06-2007, 06:44 PM
if billy did those songs i dont think james would take any action because he doesnt care, even though he cowrote/wrote them.

he couldn't take any action even if he did care, there wouldn't be any infringement involved. You can't take legal action against someone for playing a song you (co)wrote.

Chuck=Zero
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
I've never heard "Daydream" live, but I like the track off of Gish, at least the part where D'arcy's singing. Once D'arcy's part of that song is over, I never listen Billy's part in it, I think it sucks.

As for complaining about it being played, I don't have a problem with it being played. Yeah, D'arcy provided the original lyrics, but the bottom line is it's a Smashing Pumpkins song. And as someone on this thread said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if Ginger starts singing the first half of the song.

Slug
06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
I've never heard "Daydream" live, but I like the track off of Gish, at least the part where D'arcy's singing. Once D'arcy's part of that song is over, I never listen Billy's part in it, I think it sucks.

it is a separate song

Boycott Graceland
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
You are fucking retarded
your goofy ass screen name is 1000x more retarded than any post i've ever put on this messageboard

Shapan
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
ghost children prove him wrong and look through his posts!

BollywanaCrackR
06-06-2007, 09:09 PM
you should really move on, the Pumpkins have and so have most of us here

Banana
06-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Oh shit she is terrible in that video

paranoid
06-06-2007, 11:42 PM

James and Dracy don't give enough of a shit about this band to ever bring it to court.

Dopamine
06-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Her singing fucking sucks.. Im not going to get into some fight about what the two
former pumpkins contributed to the band, but it sure as hell wasn't the few tracks
with either James or D'arcy that got past the filter.

How can you prefer the clip with her over the one with Billy?
Is it some kind of disorder that prevents you from liking anything
but the absolutely worst that came from an era where every bandmember
was either mentally ill, drugged out of their mind, or both,
playing at venues that strive to outsize and outshine the common shoebox?

Is it really more important who plays a song rather than how well the play it?

/Per

MMBKG
06-07-2007, 10:10 AM
if d'arcy wanted to sing the song, she should have re-joined the band.

pyrocus
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM

LOL - and, it's Billy's song so if he wants to get Courtney Love to sing it, then he can do so.

xmfi
06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah, it's Billy's song; he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. It's not like it's sacred. Unless Ginger sings it. Not that she can't sing-- she's way better than D'arcy ever was. But she better not sing Darcy's song. That'd be crossing a line. Not that the line is there anyway, that's why it's perfectly okay if Billy sings it! Retards.

Sure would love to hear a Bolly/Jimmy-only version of Farewell and Goodnight.

SpFission
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM

*barfs...

yeah ok tough guy.

theeggofhope
06-07-2007, 05:04 PM
you guys know what i mean. not so much against something like daydream, but like soma or even go or songs like that. if billy did those songs i dont think james would take any action because he doesnt care, even though he cowrote/wrote them.

i still think daydream should be sung by darcy and no one else unless its "im going crazy," heh. i dont mind that billy does it by himself these days, but its not the same as it was with darcy.

regardless of however many times billy does daydream, when i think of that song ill think of darcy.

why couldn't ginger sing this song? is it billy's fault the original bassist became a cracked out junkie and got arrested and then got kicked out of the band? If she could really do it justice I wouldn't mind heraing ginger sing it... I really enjoyed hearing billy do this song, I never thought this would be one of the songs they'd pull out...it was a very nice surprise...I don't think there should be any pumpkins songs that are off limits...the band is called the smashing pumpkins...in my personal opinion I don't want to see them play any of James' songs because most of them weren't the greatest smashing pumpkins songs ever...
but besides those everything is fair game...they are the smashing pumpkins and they will play smashing pumpkins songs....Pink Floyd didn't stop playing roger waters' songs after he left the group and he had a much greater influence in the song writing for pink floyd than James did with the pumpkins...

Dogfighter28
06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
the song sucks in any form

aztec litany service
06-07-2007, 10:41 PM
daydream's always been one of my favs, and i'm glad he played it [and played it right]
and he should continue playing it.

mayday
06-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Sadness and nostalgia. This song is drenched in Darcy and her energy and the beauty of what that was... it is so errie to have watched and listened to this and I felt sad in the pit of my stomache.

mayday
06-07-2007, 11:15 PM
this is just so strange this stuff...

MisterSquishyHalo
06-07-2007, 11:21 PM
this is just so strange this stuff...

you'll live.