View Full Version : SP2 = Spinal Tap

morespsoon
06-03-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm talking "This is Spinal Tap" here. After watching their latest performance of "United States", it dawned on me that Billy Corgan is now going through his "Spinal Tap" faze. It's all there: a big comeback tour starting in a foreign country, the ridiculous costumes, the new members, the "rocking" new music that sounds over the top and absurd, poorly planned promo ideas, the inability to stay relevant in a music business that's passed you by, etc.

SP2 is looking more and more like Spinal Tap and it hurts me to say it because I'm a big fan. :cry:

caliphornia
06-03-2007, 05:33 AM
boo fucking hoo.

this thread does not deliver.

Glowing Lights
06-03-2007, 05:35 AM
SP2 is looking more and more like Spinal Tap and it hurts me to say it because I'm a big fan. :cry:

If it hurts you so much, why labour the point?

morespsoon
06-03-2007, 05:37 AM
boo fucking hoo.

I remember Slash comparing Guns N Roses to Spinal Tap and that was when they were at their peak of popularity. Some of it is that it's just the rock world but it's sad to see it happen to your favorite band. I mean, Guns N Roses were supposed to be over the top. SP used to be down to earth. :cry:

morespsoon
06-03-2007, 05:38 AM

I look at this board like an open therapy session for all of us. :smoke: It's not all bad, I like "Gossamar" and "Starz", and "Doomsday Clock" will probably be good on the album. :smoke:

medellia
06-03-2007, 05:41 AM
SP was never down to earth, ok. machina was supposed to parody the irony; zeitgeist is embracing it. that's all; a logical progression, as always. Adore was (aside from, perhaps, the chicago songs) Billy's last serious artistic statement; it tanked, he blames us.

if the people are eating shit, then let's serve them shit. props to billy for catching on.

caliphornia
06-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I remember Slash comparing Guns N Roses to Spinal Tap and that was when they were at their peak of popularity. Some of it is that it's just the rock world but it's sad to see it happen to your favorite band. I mean, Guns N Roses were supposed to be over the top. SP used to be down to earth. :cry:
stop crying ya fucking baby.

medellia
06-03-2007, 05:46 AM
PS. billy has professed in interviews that he considers the frontman of KISS a 'consummate showman'. this is no accident.

morespsoon
06-03-2007, 05:48 AM
SP was never down to earth, ok. machina was supposed to parody the irony; zeitgeist is embracing it. that's all; a logical progression, as always. Adore was (aside from, perhaps, the chicago songs) Billy's last serious artistic statement; it tanked, he blames us.

if the people are eating shit, then let's serve them shit. props to billy for catching on.

I'm with you there. Nice analysis.

Despite
06-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Shit thread.

morespsoon
06-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Shit thread.

You spoke too soon, the voting is still too close to call. :cool:

Channah
06-03-2007, 08:02 AM
No.

theeggofhope
06-03-2007, 08:06 AM
I'm talking "This is Spinal Tap" here. After watching their latest performance of "United States", it dawned on me that Billy Corgan is now going through his "Spinal Tap" faze. It's all there: a big comeback tour starting in a foreign country, the ridiculous costumes, the new members, the "rocking" new music that sounds over the top and absurd, poorly planned promo ideas, the inability to stay relevant in a music business that's passed you by, etc.

I'm gonna say this in the nicest way I can....

you are a fucking moron...

have a nice day...

Phoenix Down
06-03-2007, 08:11 AM
i love spinal tap and a billy version would be absolutely hilarious. they've always been a little Tap anyway

The Melty Man
06-03-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm gonna say this in the nicest way I can....

you are a fucking moron...

have a nice day...
agreed

StrikeEagle
06-03-2007, 10:33 AM
ST - 'Jazz odyssey' - a free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

TSP - 'Gossamer odyssey' - a free-form guitar exploration in front of a festival crowd.

GlasgowKiss
06-03-2007, 10:55 AM

Only if jimmy dies in a freak <s>gardening</s> heroin accident.

andrewface
06-03-2007, 11:07 AM
idiots

they wont be spinal tap until jimmy explodes on stage

fluxequalsrad
06-03-2007, 11:15 AM
boo fucking hoo.

what were you expecting this thread to deliver by clicking on it?

fluxequalsrad
06-03-2007, 11:16 AM
ST - 'Jazz odyssey' - a free-form jazz exploration in front of a festival crowd.

TSP - 'Gossamer odyssey' - a free-form guitar exploration in front of a festival crowd.
ahahahahahah

This whole concept is pretty awesome.

Tournée d'adieu
06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
This actually occurred to me as well...something about their current stage setup reminds me of Spinal Tap. Granted, there aren't any cocoons, but, I dunno, I think it's the vent-like things behind them. Upon further reflection, I don't know where this association is coming from. :blush:

But I like the new music.

Rarely
06-03-2007, 12:30 PM
spinal tap is a good band

sp2 sucks

zsp77
06-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I just don't agree with most of this. I think the new album is gonna be great. I love at least half of what I've heard so far, and realistically that is about par for the course on most SP albums. As we've said many times before, the Pumpkins songs tend to GROW on you. Let's give the album a chance folks, the studio versions are sure to be much better and more intricate than the live versions of the new music.

zsp77
06-03-2007, 12:33 PM
And as far as the costumes are concerned, I could give a shit. I mean, it's not like they're wearing what appears to be white/transparent garbage bags, ya know? Er......wait......

And as far as the new members go, that new bassist is unbelievably hot, wow, god dammit she's smokin'.

shadow47
06-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Just enjoy the muzak. It doesn't need to change anything because it won't...it can't. If a band as popular as U2 can hardly make a difference, how is the long forgotten 40-something Billy Corgan going to??? His music is still enjoyable, he's not retreading. Can you imagine how hard it is to write new music without repeating himself at this point. Just enjoy it and be glad you've got a show that you can go enjoy (and that tickets are cheap), or a new album of songs to buy (or steal, depending on your practices). Don't worry if your friends think it's cool.

zebramask
06-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Spinal Tap reeks of awesome though so I do not see a problem here.

the mahatma
06-03-2007, 01:54 PM
I'M GONNA HAVE TO SEND YOU BACK TO BITCH SCHOOL

SpFission
06-03-2007, 02:00 PM
No

MisterSquishyHalo
06-03-2007, 02:00 PM
You spoke too soon, the voting is still too close to call. :cool:

runnersdialzero
06-03-2007, 03:47 PM
spinal tap is classic.

Spankarine
06-03-2007, 03:51 PM
yeah, but Spinal Tap kicked ass back in the day, yo.

ChrisChiasson
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM

+

Boycott Graceland
06-03-2007, 05:18 PM
i'm gonna beat that avatar right out of you

Nate the Grate
06-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Shut up troll

Ugly
06-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Shockingly, the thread points out that the Pumpkins are pretty glam. Did you just happen to suddenly miss any and all of the Mellon Collie shows? At least watch a bootleg.

The Pumpkins over-the-top. Its their bit. This never was a subtle band. Ev-er.

Screwjack
06-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I would have given anything to see Spinal Tap when their opening act was The Folksmen. :smoke:

caliphornia
06-03-2007, 09:08 PM

said badly...
06-03-2007, 09:26 PM
"It's your basic, you know, 'Behind the Music' story, you know? Band has nothing, band tries hard, band gets success, you know? Friends, drugs, wives- the whole thing falls apart. Everybody cries. It's your basic. We used to say in the beggining too, like when we would do interviews, we were determined not to become a cliche, you know? In the end of the day we've become every cliche you can imagine."
-Billy Corgan, 2000

You were warned. If you didn't see it coming it's your own fault.

Runsaber
06-03-2007, 09:28 PM
billy corgan sucks at talking.

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 09:32 PM

Awww, well... while we're making comparisons.

Spinal Tap = The Simpsons season 3
The Smashing Pumpkins = The Simpsons season 7

but maybe they're more like

Aerosmith = The Simpsons season 3

\nn/p

WhiteHotSoul
06-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Dude how can Adore be considered a failure? Didn't it sell over 3 million worldwide, and go platinum in the US?

It's not mega-success, but it's still pretty damn successful.

j.willard
06-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Same drummer as before. Close thread.