View Full Version : Are any of your SP CDs worn out?

mccririck
06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I treat my CDs with respect but even so my SD CD seems to have built up a good few scratches. The MCIS ones seem to scratch easier though, probably that stinking double case which no longer holds the discs in place. The Adore case got trodden on and busticated. I dont like the clear insert bits to cases though the teeth seem to snap easier. Machina never gets listened to often enough to wear out. And I have two Gish CDs because i thought I'd lost it once. :blush:

panopticon
06-01-2007, 07:13 AM
I have two copies of mellon collie, as one began to suffer from excessive wear and tear.

I have two copies of Gish, although one is the Caroline release...bought for the same reasons as mellon collie.

The others are surviving well enough, although a few of my singles have been trodden on throughout the years :(

Cool As Ice Cream
06-01-2007, 07:18 AM
i have at least ten copies of each pumpkins album.

Anvil Hands
06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
had to buy MCIS three times and Adore twice.

Those plastic teeth suck ass.

tcm
06-01-2007, 07:31 AM
their music is so sacred to me that i refuse to listen to them on any medium that wears out as easily as a compact disc, only the files i purchased from iTunes, so i have no physical copies of any Pumpkins album.

Queen Jeremy
06-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I have two copies of MCIS and Adore. MCIS seems to wear out easily.
I have two copies of the Ransom OST too, don't know why...

mccririck
06-01-2007, 07:49 AM
their music is so sacred to me that i refuse to listen to them on any medium that wears out as easily as a compact disc, only the files i purchased from iTunes, so i have no physical copies of any Pumpkins album.

Oh right, so you have lower quaility mp3s. Nice and sacred.

T&T
06-01-2007, 07:57 AM
my car must have eaten at least 10 SD tapes over the years.... and I"m on my 3ed Ipod now

oops a cd thread.

tcm
06-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Oh right, so you have lower quaility mp3s. Nice and sacred.
they're CD quality :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: fyi.

ideology
06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
the only cd that has stood the test of time for me has been PI, & i've played the crap out of it, i've had to replace the case a couple of times though, as mentioned before the plastic teeth suck, all the other ones i've bought a couple of times

ideology
06-01-2007, 08:05 AM
my car must have eaten at least 10 SD tapes over the years.... and I"m on my 3ed Ipod now

oops a cd thread.

there's nothing wrong w/tapes man, i still have a bunch

mccririck
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
they're CD quality :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: fyi.

How are they? Are they lossless?

waltermcphilp
06-01-2007, 08:14 AM
nah. i rip them and listen to the files on my hard drive. if for whatever reason i delete them i will re-rip the cds. other than that, they hardly get touched.

tcm
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
How are they? Are they lossless?
MP3
1. the file extension for MPEG Audio Layer-3, a set of standards for compressing and downloading audio files from the Internet in CD quality.
2. a file compressed in this format.

:rolleyes:

Saylam
06-01-2007, 08:30 AM
My SD CD has worn out but lasted me a long time and i had to replace my PI cos i lent it to someone and never got the record back.

McCarron
06-01-2007, 08:36 AM
My MCIS was shot, but I used the toothpaste trick on the back of it, and has been perfect ever since. But it gets a lot less play since I got a good rip of them.

devotchka
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
i'm on my fourth copy of MCIS and second copy of adore.
i've just stopped bothering to listen to the tangible discs now.

Villarelo
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
My SD tape has been in a closet for at least 12 years, I just played "Geek U.S.A." and it sounds exactly like "Pretty, pretty STAR"

Martyr
06-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I've replaced them all at least once but most twice.

soulofbass
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
i still have my original copy tape of SD with the f word and masterbating part recorded over (because I was a guilty little bugger at the time) and a third eye blind song accidentally recorded over for 2 seconds... it still works, still has the majic, but i have nothing to play it with...PI cd and MCIS are scratched to hell, as well as Adore because i had a shit discman that scratched them, i bought machina on tape.. i don't know where it is now. Zwan cd broke... forget how that happened, TFE still intact and perfectly scratch free... can't wait to buy Zeitgeist and find out what happens to it.

greedo
06-01-2007, 09:19 AM
MP3
1. the file extension for MPEG Audio Layer-3, a set of standards for compressing and downloading audio files from the Internet in CD quality.

Where did you get that info from?

I'm pretty sure that MP3 can never be technically CD quality, as I don't think you can have lossless MP3.

Most people can't tell the difference between about 192kbps MP3 and CD quality, but there is some of the 'information' removed.

Those who claim to be able to tell the difference between a good MP3 and a CD generally are dickheads who find it offensive that somebody would prefer the convenience of MP3s with an unnoticable sound quality loss.

I can't tell the difference between my MP3s at 256kbps and CDs, and I can carry 20GB of MP3s in my pocket/car, so lucky me.

tcm
06-01-2007, 09:30 AM
the dictionary, dude.

tcm
06-01-2007, 09:31 AM
doesn't get any more technical than that.

Allycat
06-01-2007, 09:56 AM
I have
Gish-2
PI-2
MCIS-3
Adore-3
Machina-1

I bought a couple because of scratches but the rest my brother stole and I then found them in his room all scratched up and took them back. After that I put my initals on my CD's so he couldn't say they were his.

whiteskwirl
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I had to use a disc cleaner and resurfaced my SD, MCIS, and Machina CDs. They were so worn my cd player wouldn't recognize them. I agree that the MCIS case sucks.

mccririck
06-01-2007, 10:13 AM
MP3

mp3 is not lossless and is therefore not CD quality. You lose data compressing to mp3. FACT.

MeAndMyLlama
06-01-2007, 10:18 AM
my mcis is getting up there in years. quite a few scratches but still seems to play all right. my machina copy was on the fritz for awhile there but seems to have bounced back oddly enough. havent had to replace any yet but give it a few more years

The Melty Man
06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
A girl I had a crush on when I was 16 managed to scratch my copy of Machina within 2 months of buying it. I didn't but another copy for another 3 years.

My Dawn to Dusk disc sometimes skips during Porcelina, and my Siamese Dream skips during Luna. Aside from that all in working order.

starlaluna
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I haven't replaced any of mine. They were like my babies. I tried not to scratch them by leaving them around but my old CD player won't recognize some of the cds. when i got a CD burner and ripped them to a cd and then when I got an Ipod, i put them on there.
However, if i see any SP cds in a thrift store, i tend to buy them even tapes. so i do (or did) have a couple copies.

JokeyLoki
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I've replaced mine many times over... I need to replace them again.

tcm
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
mp3 is not lossless and is therefore not CD quality. You lose data compressing to mp3. FACT.
i'm not some machine, i have human ears, i listen to music not data. nice try.

wildlight
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
the dictionary, dude. doesn't get any more technical than that.

well, it seems that your precious dictionary is very wrong then. MP3's cut out frequencies above 14-16KHz, where as cd's have them all up to 44.1KHz. Not cd quality. Not even close.

themadcaplaughs
06-01-2007, 10:36 AM
I have a vinyl copy of Siamese Dream that now comprises most of my listening to the album. CD is in perfect condition.

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (and yes, that case does suck) has very minor scratches on it, yet has a tendency to skip. On Dawn to Dusk, Porcelina of the Vastr Ocean skips; on Twilight to Starlight Tales of a Scorched Earth and Farewell and Goodnight skip. I have the enitre album ripped to my hard drive, as well as a dub cassette copy for my car.

Adore is in working order, although when I play it on my main CD player Behold! The Nightmare has a tendency to skip.

Machina/Machines of God is in perfect condition. I lost my burned copies of Machina II a long time ago (I was a DEDICATED fan downloading that whole thing on a dial up modem) but I hae the whole thing on my ipod.

mccririck
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM
i'm not some machine, i have human ears, i listen to music not data. nice try.

The music comes from the data, dumbass.

themadcaplaughs
06-01-2007, 10:38 AM
And since people seem to be talking about other Corgan related CDs, my Mary Star of the Sea CD and For Your Love DVD work fine. My copy of TheFutureEmbrace has NO scratches on it, yet on all CD players besdies my computer Sorrows (In Blue) and Pretty, Pretty Star skip horribly.

tcm
06-01-2007, 10:40 AM
good thing iTunes doesn't even use mp3s DUMBASSES. NOT EVEN CLOSE. NICE TRY.

tcm
06-01-2007, 10:42 AM
a hearty welcome to Netphoria to our newest member, wildlight.

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
The music comes from the data, dumbass.

He's joking.

Obviously.

waltermcphilp
06-01-2007, 10:45 AM
TCM knows he sound files. look at his avatar ferchristsakes!

mccririck
06-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio.

MonteLDS
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Lets see
2x SD
2x PI
3x MCIS (one was tape and gotten eaten up by the tape player)
3x Adore (one was stolen)

mccririck
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
He's joking.

Obviously.

No he's being a prick.

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 10:49 AM
No he's being a prick.

Either way, he's not being serious.

greedo
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM

iTunes uses AAC - essentially the same concept as MP3.

And the response re: MP3 being lossy was in response to your crappy dictionary being wrong.

InfinityNow
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Both discs of MCIS are almost in shreds. We've been through a lot together. The case is shattered, but the artwork still remains!

BTW, I think I've had to buy at least two copies of every SP cd since Siamese Dream... 3 of Machina.

myosis
06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
tcm is trolling you for christ's sake

tcm
06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio.
look at this chump copping my patented dictionary schtick.

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
look at this chump copping my patented dictionary schtick.

How dare he!

Cool As Ice Cream
06-01-2007, 10:58 AM
my bwbw single from the tafh box survived a horrible car crash. the car was total loss.

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 10:59 AM
my bwbw single from the tafh box survived a horrible car crash. the car was total loss.

SINE

FlamingCucumber
06-01-2007, 11:22 AM
All my Pumpkins CD burned.

Gish was burned by joints.

Siamese Dream was burned because I overplayed it.

Mellon Collie was burned while I tried to fuse both cd's into one good cd.

Adore was burned by my car tires after a couple of listens.

mayday
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
my original SD I think is slightly scratched... the mctis I dont know where it is or really care that much if it's scratched... I only like a handful of songs off of it

Duke
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and Machina cds are all scratched up. The only way I can listen to any of them is on my ipod or on the computer.

said badly...
06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
My Machina II vinyl has deteriorated so badly that the only song I can listen to without severe hisses and pops is In My Body. It's basically a coaster.

RopeyLopey
06-01-2007, 03:08 PM
i have at least ten copies of each pumpkins album.

and none of them are fake!

pete
06-01-2007, 03:33 PM
my SD is in pretty bad shape. my machina is practically mint.

Dogfighter28
06-01-2007, 03:38 PM
maybe if you guys listened to some good music besides spinning SP obsessively all the time you wouldn't have these problems?

SlingeroGuitaro
06-01-2007, 04:00 PM
i have purchased:

gish x2 needing a third
sd CD x2 vinyl x1
PI x2
MCIS x2...
adore x2
machina x1
msots x2 -i lost the first one

i bought mcis the day it came out and the second one in 2002. they skimped on the paper quality of the booklets big time at some point in time. my original mcis is printed on pretty thick card stock with raised print.... the second one feels like computer paper.

in comparison i have purchased the white album 3 or 4 times and pet sounds four or five times.

ordinary apathy
06-01-2007, 04:10 PM

My first car had a 'ZERO' license plate for the front that someone got me for Christmas. Car was totaled a few months later, but the plate was unscathed.

As far as CDs go, Machina is scratched to hell, SD was stolen from a friend's car, and Gish and 1979 were found broken in my backseat in an incident I still suspect involved foul play.

Cool As Ice Cream
06-01-2007, 05:17 PM
and none of them are fake!
are you hinting at something here?

bozo
06-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Weren’t mp3 bit rates standardized using double blind tests. I doubt they would have stopped at 320kbps for no reason, and they were probably being very generous at that.

tcm is right and you are all wrong.

It’s like they want 2 tablespoons of ketchup on their hamburger and insist like a child on being able to distinguish from one with 1.99 tablespoons of ketchup. The problem is they know which one is which, so they brain crave the “better” one even if it isn’t. Human nature at it’s finest.

As far as the data removal goes, perhaps you are a bit confused that a computer can sense the world better than you can, so you prefer to insist that you are the machines equal. Do you really think your ears won’t fall for tricks that a computer wouldn’t fall for? Are you at all familiar with the way optical illusions work?

As far as the compression goes, it’s not like trying to read a compressed .txt file in notepad, think of it more as a notepad that opens compressed .txt files on the fly.

Get a few cd audio files converted properly to high quality .mp3 then have someone else play them randomly while you’re in the other room.

mccririck
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
It is true that it is very hard to hear difference between 320 mp3 and wav, I just prefer to have the wav because it has nothing missing. I can definitely detect that 192 is lower quality. Not sure about 256.

ToEachesOwn
06-01-2007, 07:19 PM
The little nubs that hold the CD in place keep breaking in my MCIS cases and in turn scratching the CDs. I'm on my fourth one since '95. :(

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 07:22 PM
The little nubs that hold the CD in place keep breaking in my MCIS cases and in turn scratching the CDs. I'm on my fourth one since '95. :(

Does anyone use CD cases anymore?

My jewel cases sit on a rack, empty. All my CDs are in a case for ease of access.

saidsadly33
06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
mcis has been resurfaced but still doesnt manage to play in the arms of sleep, one of my favs, sd is is good shape- machina well is wrecked.... but i have machina, gish, sd, mellon and PI on vinyl so i guess ill be okay!

Kerosene
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
My copy of Zeitgeist is already starting to wear out. :cry:

bellis123
06-01-2007, 09:01 PM
your mom is worn out.

tcm
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
tcm is right and you are all wrong.
gotta disagree with you there, bozo.

thurston
06-01-2007, 10:28 PM
my zeitgeist album is holding up perty good :)

Kerosene
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
my zeitgeist album is holding up perty good :)

Wanna trade?

thurston
06-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Wanna trade?

i'd trade seitgeist for any album but machina anyday

BrokenGourds
06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
The only cds i had to repurchase were SD and MCIS. I lost them all at one time except for Machina but that's because I didn't have it at the time.

I still need to get Adore, Gish, and PI again. \nn/p

steelfaerie
06-01-2007, 10:50 PM
My '95 copy of MCIS has Dawn to Dusk broken, and the lyrics booklet (which has been to the tattoo parlor with me) has had iced tea spilled on it and been chewed by a lovebird. I think that one's the worst. The others all have broken cases, but are ok. I'm on SD #3 by now, and Gish #2.

bozo
06-02-2007, 03:00 AM
gotta disagree with you there, bozo.
^

tcm
06-02-2007, 03:08 AM
can't believe you thought i was serious, bozo. it's funny calling you a bozo and how it's also your actual name. anyway you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. i even fabricated that dictionary definition, bozo. touchè.

bozo
06-02-2007, 04:27 AM
can't believe you thought i was serious, bozo. it's funny calling you a bozo and how it's also your actual name. anyway you shouldn't believe everything you read on the Internet. i even fabricated that dictionary definition, bozo. touchè.^

tcm
06-02-2007, 05:03 AM
:D

Becky Sharp
06-02-2007, 05:10 AM
ive replaced all of mine except machina

Lyric
06-02-2007, 05:10 AM
I just played my australian release adore the day before last. Am very pissed to find out the second last track skips and 17 will only play for about 2/17 seconds.
I am ever so sure my japanese copy is still in mint condition - as is my melon collie and adore vinal.
A guy i dated stepped on my Machina 2 days after i got it, and Everlasting Gaze stopped playing. Believe me when i say that is the reason i broke up with him. His blantant disregart for my property - and my pumpkins cd's at that - was the last straw.
My siamese dream has a rather nasty scratch on the plainted surface, but it plays AOK as does MCIS.
I think my PI has seen better day's but i made a copy of it and listen to that since i am a cheap ass and cant be bothered buying a second copy although i think someone said it's *******d in B-sides and Rarities and i baught that from i-tunes the other day.
Gish plays fine. Not a single scratch. Wierd, but true. I play it alot too.
Greatest hits and Judus0 got milk spilt on them by my cat, but they also play ok and are almost scratchless.

tcm
06-02-2007, 05:12 AM
everlasting gaze isn't on machina 2, are you on crack lady?

Lyric
06-02-2007, 05:14 AM
i never said it was. i said TWO DAYS AFTER I GOT IT... want me to go back and edit for you?

tcm
06-02-2007, 05:16 AM
no trouble at all.

krackhead
06-02-2007, 08:37 PM
you guys need to put your cd's in the cd case after you use them....

thurston
06-02-2007, 11:07 PM
lol to krackhead...

unlachs
06-02-2007, 11:57 PM
my MCIS turned to utter shit within a year of getting it
funny thing is, 8 years later when i copied it to my itunes library, it played perfectly fine

i'd buy another one, but most stores seem more than happy to rip me off on this one

mojoro
06-03-2007, 12:13 AM
If you're actually buying a CD, why don't you retards just burn a copy of it as soon as you get it and store the original one away. That way if anything happens to your listening copy, you just burn a new one.

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 12:15 AM
If you're actually buying a CD, why don't you retards just burn a copy of it as soon as you get it and store the original one away. That way if anything happens to your listening copy, you just burn a new one.

It might be just me, but I'd feel like a whore if i did that.

mojoro
06-03-2007, 12:18 AM
Yeah, but you won't be wasting as much money when your CD is stolen, scratched, lost, etc...

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Yea, well my cds tend to last longer than my computers... soooo, i'm good to go

\nn/p

mojoro
06-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Yea, well my cds tend to last longer than my computers... soooo, i'm good to go

\nn/p

What the hell does the lifespan of your computer have to do with being able to burn a new CD when the old one shits the bed?

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 12:27 AM
What the hell does the lifespan of your computer have to do with being able to burn a new CD when the old one shits the bed?

i don't know where i was going with that actually.

Despite
06-03-2007, 06:30 AM
My MCIS cd's are fucked. I managed to get them on my itunes so I can listen to them through my ipod but they wont play on a normal cd player.

Methuselah
06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
The second disc of MCatIS was busted and wouldn't play a few songs anymore, so I bought that record again. All my albums are ripped on my computer so that I don't need to change my cd's so often and they are in a quite good condition.

I'm trying to rip all my cd's on hard disk, but that's something that takes up way too much time... :)

myosis
06-03-2007, 09:53 AM
because i bought MCIS in 1995, retard

Cool As Ice Cream
06-03-2007, 10:06 AM
because i have better things to do.

who's the retard now, eh? you sound like someone who would never buy a cd in the first place.

mojoro
06-03-2007, 11:42 AM
because i have better things to do.

who's the retard now, eh? you sound like someone who would never buy a cd in the first place.

How does the fact that you have better things to do make me a retard for not having to waste more money when something happens to my CDs?

What are these better things you have to do that take up about 2 minutes anyways? Logging on to this message board and replying to a topic stating that you have better things to do?

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 12:59 PM
How does the fact that you have better things to do make me a retard for not having to waste more money when something happens to my CDs?

What are these better things you have to do that take up about 2 minutes anyways? Logging on to this message board and replying to a topic stating that you have better things to do?

i take pretty good care of my cds to not have to worry about having copies.

if you're not good with your cds to the point you need multiple copies then that's no one elses fault but yours

Cool As Ice Cream
06-03-2007, 02:05 PM
the money i would have to spend on blanks to make a cd-r copy of every cd i own would be a lot more than the money i have ever spent on replacing the two or three cds i ever had to replace. who's wasting money now, eh?
maybe you only own ten cds, i have a couple more...

and then we haven't mentioned the time and effort it takes and the space to put all those copies. i don't even have enough room for all my cds as it is right now, without their cd-r copies.

BrokenGourds
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM
this copying idea is starting to sound more and more unnecessary.
unless you're going to pawn the original, then I can see getting a copy.
but who wants to do that?

caliphornia
06-03-2007, 02:29 PM
i've bought PI twice and MCIS twice