View Full Version : Zeitgeist revisited (promised drunken post)

Phoenix Down
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
I hope nobody minds me opening up a new thread for this?

Okay, so it probably wasn't fair to judge the album after 2 listens. Writing it all down was quite liberating, though.
I had a couple of drinks, put on my headphones and went for a walk.
And hey, this record is pretty fucking sweet.
I think the album has a pretty good flow. It seems short, cause it hasn't got many spacey moments...but hey, many thought machina was too long. Maybe it just feels strangely compact for an SP album.
About the production: it's not raw, but i don't think that anyone can accuse Zeitgeist of being overproduced. I believe most of you will be fine with the mixing. There is ony one Machina-esque moment in terms of production and that's That's the Way.

Doomsday Clock is hell of an opener ("Which for a monster!" :D). 7 Shades of Black is better than i first thought and i fucking adore Bleeding the Orchid. Also Neverlost is getting better with every listen. it's weird, but i even start to like Bring the Light, cause it's one of the rare uplifting sp rockers. it's a little cheesy in some 80s rock way, but what the hell. And the short Queen guitar solo sounds pretty cool, too. I'm also taking back what i said about Come On Let's go...it's not Zwan. The guitars are actually pretty cool and I'm starting to dig the melody. Come On Lets Go still remains a crappy chorus line, tho :D
God & Country will be such a surprise for you....it really doesn't matter what i say about it. I also wanna stress that there is no real sucker on this album.

@Whatcolor: About the drumming...yeah, it's not as free and jazzy as on the records you mentioned, but it definitely does the job. the sound is good and i think the bootlegs give you a pretty good idea of it. but i have to say i'm not an expert on drumming.

@Bram: You asked about the vocals - I guess they are layered..and there is some echo (Starz)..I do like them a lot anyway. I think the days of people complaining about billy's whiney voice are over. There's also a lot of background singing by billy going on (orchid, neverlost, that's the way, come on....) I'm not sure if I could answer your question....

bardy
05-31-2007, 08:15 PM
thanks for the review. is Doomsday Clock a worthy second single?

wHATcOLOR
05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
kids, keep in mind that a little booze brings girl who's a 6 up to an 8 :p

seriouly, thanks for the review, thanks for addressing the drumming question

thagor
05-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Cheers again, I was hoping it gets better with each listen. Just like every album before it!

hnibos
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
its probably because im stoned but i feel like there is some shenanigans going on here

no offense to anyone, just being cynical

Boseph
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Are the musical arrangements on the album interesting? I mean, a song like Doomsday Clock or 7 Shades Of Black (judging from the live boots) sound like they have potential. But in live form the guitars are just thick and chuggy and that's about it...not too much else going on. Are these songs more interesting or elaborate on the album?

Phoenix Down
05-31-2007, 08:25 PM

a definite yes, but so is Bleeding the Orchid. I'm also still amazed at the brutal catchiness of Come On Lets Go

davin
05-31-2007, 08:28 PM
fucking hell phoenix down...i can't wait to toke up and hear this cd on my home system! :smoke: :smoke:

Implosion
05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Alcohol + promo CD = leak?

Cherub Angel
05-31-2007, 08:36 PM
its probably because im stoned but i feel like there is some shenanigans going on here

no offense to anyone, just being cynical

Phoenix has a rep of being legit in these matters.

paranoid
05-31-2007, 08:59 PM
describe the instrumentation! strings anywhere? any suprises? give away some dirty details!

TheRevolver
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Alcohol + promo CD = leak?

haha...hilarious.

paranoid
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
hey phoenix.. i got your PM but couldn't reply because you need to empty your inbox.. so here's my reply..

right, i guess i'm looking for more specific details such as how each song is setup.. what the guitars sound like, the arrangements, instrumentation, how does starz start? how is it different from the live recording, etc.. some have done song by songs but they've been vague with details.. such as.. "this rocks, is a good song." How do the tunes start, end, does it all flow nice, does US have that jammy guitar solo in the middle, and on and on. I could ask tons of questions.. also what is the set up of pomp and circumstance? whats it like lyrically, instrumentation, how does the drumming sound, etc.

thanks for everything so far! it's nice to get some info about this record finally!

WhiteHotSoul
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
How was Starz on the second, drunken listen? Is it still softer than the Paris version?

queundoguero
05-31-2007, 10:08 PM
sounds like a great cd. i am so excited for this album! i cannot wait for the leak, of course i want the album to leak, but i think id be happy with doomsday clock leaking, to get me by for another month til the album hits. mmmmm...Doomsday Clock, C'mon Downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

hnibos
05-31-2007, 10:44 PM

T&T
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Billy used to use heavy phasing (eventide harmonizer) on his vocals during SD to make him sound sharp and soft. Is this vocal sound used?
is he using a lot of vocal harmonies? (not echo.... harmony)

JRiordan
06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the review. I think this will be the last one I read (I've only read you original one and the really early review that was posted here). I mean, I'm tired of having my opinion swayed in any way before I hear the album. I just want to experience it!!! It truly is the best way.

(Haven't listened to even 1 second of new material yet... holding out!)

wHATcOLOR
06-01-2007, 12:50 AM
we're going to post autoplay soundclips of tarantula or doomsday clock's clip in every thread on this board. we're gonna get you, JRiordan!!!

JRiordan
06-01-2007, 12:53 AM
^^ The hardest part yet will be avoiding the Rock Im Ring webcast on Saturday. But I think I have to. Else all this effort/motivation goes down the drain.

MisterSquishyHalo
06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
<3

Implosion
06-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Just heard bits of the album a few hours ago...

A little background; I've been a fan since Siamese Dream, was at the Metro show, and the Paris show. On the other hand, not a huge fan of Machina or TFE. My good friend works at a major magazine (not a music mag, but they have a music review section). They've had a promo copy of Zeitgeist for a week or two, and I finally got a chance to hear it tonight, although under poor circumstances. His band had just soundchecked for their (local) show, so he had about 15 minutes to play it for me in his car. I obviously didn't hear anywhere close to the whole thing, but I was able to scan through and at least hear the general sound/vibe of the album.

- Doomsday Clock sounds huge... like Phoenix said, great way to kick off the album, I love the guitar tone. It's also interesting that it starts off with a drum fill/intro (like the live performances) -- this marks album #3 where that's the case.

- Lots of vocal harmony, much more than I expected, and certainly much more than any other Pumpkins record. A good example is during the verse of Starz, the "We are stars" line has several layers. The vocals are kind of chorus-y in parts of some songs, but not in the dreamy angelic Siamese Dream way.

- Speaking of Starz, the drum break in the middle (stick on rims pattern, then fast snare roll and triplet tom fill) is just like how they do it live, and the drum tone sounds great. And right after, when the cymbals crash against the three guitar bends, it sounds amazing. I'm a drum/guitar geek, as you can probably tell.

- I had to fast fwd through most of the last half of the record, but I was surprised that Bring the Light and Come On (Let's Go) are up-tempo, guitar driven songs. You sort of expect the album to wind down towards the end, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

- Neverlost has a lot of cool instrumentation.

- I like Jimmy's drum sound a lot. I was kind of surprised at how piccolo-y his snare sounded on Doomsday Clock. Overall his drum tone is more reminiscent of the Complex record than anything he did with the Pumpkins.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. Like I said, regrettably, I didn't hear the entire thing. I'll probably have the chance to hear it more next week.

krackhead
06-01-2007, 02:11 AM
God dammit. Why can't one of you sons of bitches get it out there?

memories_unwind
06-01-2007, 02:15 AM
God dammit. Why can't one of you sons of bitches get it out there?

Maybe because they prefer their actual jobs over appreciation on the internet?!?

krackhead
06-01-2007, 02:22 AM
It makes no sense to talk about something when no one else can hear it. If your not going to get it out there, shut the hell up about it already. All these reviews are really pissing me off.

Gossamer
06-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for all the reviews guys.

This album is going to be great.

pumpkins
06-01-2007, 02:50 AM
I don't believe you

panopticon
06-01-2007, 03:32 AM
I can't believe it's not butter

Anvil Hands
06-01-2007, 04:22 AM
waiting for this album is like watching frozen chicken thaw on my kitchen counter.

Ever
06-01-2007, 04:36 AM
:S I hate feeling impatient like this. I should stop listening to the songs live.

bozo
06-01-2007, 06:13 AM
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/leakender2000/Leak%20Ender%202000.jpg (http://www.alexanderkharlamov.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/liar.jpg)

pumpkins
06-01-2007, 06:16 AM
http://www.seenontvproducts.net/leakender2000/Leak%20Ender%202000.jpg (http://www.alexanderkharlamov.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/liar.jpg)

I hope it works.

TimeZoneChecker
06-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Thanks alot for the reviews, really!

Just one quetion:
what's with the 8 guitars resonating into one big magnificent harmony -or something along that line- like Jimmy mentioned in one of his loveletters ?
Which song was he talking about??

darcy666
06-01-2007, 06:39 AM

Just one quetion:
what's with the 8 guitars resonating into one big magnificent harmony -or something along that line- like Jimmy mentioned in one of his loveletters ?

I was thinking that! Maybe a b-side of some sort?

Glowing Lights
06-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Billy used to use heavy phasing (eventide harmonizer) on his vocals during SD to make him sound sharp and soft. Is this vocal sound used?
is he using a lot of vocal harmonies? (not echo.... harmony)

his vocals sound so good on SD.

Phoenix Down
06-01-2007, 08:17 AM

Just one quetion:

i asked myself the same....dunno, maybe starz? i think starz sounds most like some big harmonic handshake.

i think the vocals really are superb on this one

thagor
06-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Maybe because they prefer their actual jobs over appreciation on the internet?!?

lol :rofl:

runnersdialzero
06-01-2007, 09:47 AM

for the record, that promo clip also played jelly belly so theres conclusive proof that thats the planned second single. just sayin'.

also, the days of saying billy's voice are only over because its an accepted fact... its way too late to change that impression. just sayin' about that too.