View Full Version : Old songs..no, I mean, really old

apetulantfrenzy
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
What better way to stop silly speculation about 20-30 second clips than to reminisce about such epics as C'MON???!!!??? What a weird, grungy tune - it's like Billy's puberty between new wave childhood and Gish.

Seriously - there's a treasure trove of weird old demos at http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/ that no one ever talks about, some of which are quite good.

My favorites:

The demo Rhinoceros (organ solo, yes?)
Snap
Psychodelic
Jesus Loves His Babies

Please make fun of his new wave voice whenever possible.

Gossamer
05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
C'mon is such a great song.

Haven't listened to it in years.

D.
05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Jesus Loves His Babies is good.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
JLHB is one of my favorite Mashed Potatoes songs; the phone call at the end kind of ruins it for me though. I love East and STP a lot, too.

reprise85
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
What better way to stop silly speculation about 20-30 second clips than to reminisce about such epics as C'MON???!!!??? What a weird, grungy tune - it's like Billy's puberty between new wave childhood and Gish.

Seriously - there's a treasure trove of weird old demos at http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/ that no one ever talks about, some of which are quite good.

My favorites:

The demo Rhinoceros (organ solo, yes?)
Snap
Psychodelic
Jesus Loves His Babies

Please make fun of his new wave voice whenever possible.

Stars Fall In makes me happy. It actually kinda reminds me of Starz, just the buildup chorus kinda part. Then again I haven't listened to Stars Fall In in awhile... I think I need to now. OOOH OOOH OOOH STARS FALL IN (that was me making fun of Billy's new wave voice)

edit: Also, everything on 'the smashing pumpkins' demo is amazing. Nothing and Everything, East, Sun, etc. All good.

apetulantfrenzy
05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Stars Fall In makes me happy. It actually kinda reminds me of Starz, just the buildup chorus kinda part. Then again I haven't listened to Stars Fall In in awhile... I think I need to now. OOOH OOOH OOOH STARS FALL IN (that was me making fun of Billy's new wave voice)

edit: Also, everything on 'the smashing pumpkins' demo is amazing. Nothing and Everything, East, Sun, etc. All good.
Right on, reprise. Back when Billy wasn't afraid to show his feminine side...oh...wait...

Yeah, East kicks.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Jennifer Ever is nice, too, and I've always had a certain fondness for There it Goes.

Gossamer
05-31-2007, 02:01 PM
There It Goes is another one of my favorites.

New Art Rioter
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
There It Goes holds up surprisingly well today. I really dig how happy Stars Fall In sounds.... but C'Mon is probably one of my least favourite SP songs.

I remember how excited I was when I discovered all the early demos, esp. whenever it was RTS leaked... good times!

reprise85
05-31-2007, 02:07 PM
Agreed on Jennifer Ever and There it Goes as well. It's actually amazing how good all of these songs are and that none of them ever saw the light of day (an album).

They could have a whole nother career with just the pre-Gish demos.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
There It Goes holds up surprising well today. I really dig how happy Stars Fall In sounds.... but C'Mon is probably one of my least favourite SP songs.

I remember how excited I was when I discovered all the early demos, esp. whenever it was RTS leaked... good times!

I remember when I discovered RTS. It was incredible, as reprise said, like finding a whole other SP album. It was so exciting. The same when MP leaked, although to the utmost extreme. The leak of MP was like... I don't know. It was the ultimate SP experience for me, I think.

Smiley
05-31-2007, 02:13 PM
My favorites: Nothing+Everything, C'mon, and Stars Fall In. Good stuff. I also really dig Opal, which is pre-Gish ('90) if my memory serves me correct.

Oh wait, I forgot about She and Bleed. Damn. There are too many good ones.

The Marked had some good songs, too. Half of their stuff was absolute crap, and unfortunately that's the half that most people are familiar with. There were at least three excellent songs: Mao Say Tongue, Mao Say Tongue #2, and Mastery + Conjecture. I swear Mastery + Conjecture sounds like it was a precursor to Nothing + Everything.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
hahaha holy shit it's Smiley. what's up Smiley. this is the artist formerly known as Sehki.

fluxequalsrad
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
C'mon is so unbelievably shitty its laughable.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YEAH! CAOME ON~!!1

I think I made a thread a while back talking about how they would open with that song and the reunion tour would be a disaster.

Peoples praise of the super oldies is what gives hardcore pumpkin fans zero-cred in b0lly's eyes. How is he suppose to listen to the fans when peple are like "LOL PLAY THERE SHE GOEZZ!1"

Smiley
05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
hahaha holy shit it's Smiley. what's up Smiley. this is the artist formerly known as Sehki.

Hey tafkas, what up? Yeah, I still lurk around here. The new music has brought me out of hiding.

Martyr
05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
East

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Hey tafkas, what up? Yeah, I still lurk around here. The new music has brought me out of hiding.

it seems to have brought a lot of people out of hiding. nicely done.

(edit) It took me way too long to decode tafkas. That should be my new name on here. Then I can just go back to Sehki, in around 2011.

JessiMercury
05-31-2007, 02:20 PM
BLEED

reprise85
05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
C'mon is so unbelievably shitty its laughable.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE YEAH! CAOME ON~!!1

I think I made a thread a while back talking about how they would open with that song and the reunion tour would be a disaster.

Peoples praise of the super oldies is what gives hardcore pumpkin fans zero-cred in b0lly's eyes. How is he suppose to listen to the fans when peple are like "LOL PLAY THERE SHE GOEZZ!1"

You really think Billy thinks these songs are shitty? He's progressed a lot, for sure, but most of the pre-Gish demos are average to excellent songs. I agree that C'mon is not a great song, but obviously some people like it, and I think it's alright.

Billy has always been a mixed bag with more good than bad (IMO), and it's true for the old demos as well. And while it would be a cool novelty to see them play one of these songs, I don't expect it and don't really care. The point is, the songs are good.

fluxequalsrad
05-31-2007, 02:23 PM
although to be fair if I had to pick I'd say:

Smiley
Jesus Loves His Babies
Translucent

thats it really.

reprise85
05-31-2007, 02:27 PM
although to be fair if I had to pick I'd say:

Smiley
Jesus Loves His Babies
Translucent

thats it really.

LOL I like how you picked some you'd like them to play anyway. Good list too.

Smiley
05-31-2007, 02:28 PM

What makes you think hardcore fans have zero cred in Billy's eyes (whatever that means)? And how exactly does this kind of talk hinder Billy from listening to the fans? I really don't get what you're saying. All I know is that on 12/2/00, they played part of Spiteface. Rock on.

telex
05-31-2007, 02:33 PM
East rules. I had the bootlegs Sounds of Turnips and Sunshine of Your Love in middle school and felt like a badass. There's some weird songs out there. "She" and "Razor" are pretty forgettable, but notable in the sense that they sound totally different from what people expect from Smashing Pumpkins. (Are those even the real titles?) That was my schtick when Adore came out - "Oh, this is just what they USED to sound like in the 80's. I know this because I am a true fan."

waltermcphilp
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
billy should just re-record the pregish demos and release that as the new album. i don't think anyone would notice/mind.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 02:38 PM
East rules. I had the bootlegs Sounds of Turnips and Sunshine of Your Love in middle school and felt like a badass. There's some weird songs out there. "She" and "Razor" are pretty forgettable, but notable in the sense that they sound totally different from what people expect from Smashing Pumpkins. (Are those even the real titles?) That was my schtick when Adore came out - "Oh, this is just what they USED to sound like in the 80's. I know this because I am a true fan."

I love She!! :erm:

zebramask
05-31-2007, 02:44 PM
like the sun, yeah, i am one
raising forth when i'm done
so high in the sky

and we'd say what we'd say
and we'd do as we please
and we'd break every rule
on our knees

like the sun, yeah, i am one
raising forth when i'm done
what you wait for in the sky, high, up high

and we'd break every rule
and we'd do as we please
and we'd take what we want
on our knees <----- i guess maybe billy is a lil gay but I still love this one

darcy666
05-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I really like Honeyspider, but I think my fave is Not Worth Asking.

NarcisPrince
05-31-2007, 02:46 PM
N00b thread.

telex
05-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Anybody remember NotWurthAsking ?

russian iha
05-31-2007, 02:56 PM
JLHC is a really gish tune imho. Very good song.

mccririck
05-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Jennifer ever she always waits for someone someone just like me

pale_princess
05-31-2007, 03:02 PM

elijah wood

Ghost Children
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
I also really dig Opal, which is pre-Gish ('90) if my memory serves me correct.

I'm listening to that right now at work. Great song.

Axis of Action
05-31-2007, 05:24 PM
Cinder is amazing. I always forget how good it is, but when I go through MP and listen to it, damn.

T&T
05-31-2007, 05:58 PM
does anyone one remember 1979?

redbull
05-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Jennifer Ever
Nothing + Everything
ALABASTER.
Not Worth Asking
Psychodelic

the sellout
05-31-2007, 06:50 PM
East could literally have gone on Siamese Dream AND been considered one of the better songs on there with very little changes to it.

its just that good

yoshinobu's revenge
05-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Nothing + Everything rocked my world.

I like a lot of the pre-Gish/Gish era stuff.

TheBigG753
05-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I'm going to punish you Billy!

mccririck
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Cinder is good. Those were the days, man. Fuck me, no internet, no mobile phones, just the Pumpkins on your stereo. Couldnt beat it.

skipgo
05-31-2007, 08:59 PM
nobody ever talks about Egg. That's my favorite pre-gish... along with jennifer ever and honeyspider. It would be awesome if they'd break out one of these songs on the new tour...

BrokenGourds
05-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Most of the songs from their first Metro performance were kick ass. I only heard a few of the studio versions though, not all of them.

mccririck
05-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Godzilla was good too. I have a live version of that.

redbull
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
Godzilla is a cover though. it is fucking awesome. I like their version of The Joker

davin
05-31-2007, 11:03 PM
Jennifer Ever :banging:
Nothing + Everything
ALABASTER.
Not Worth Asking
East
C'mon
Honeyspider

davin
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Godzilla is a cover though. it is fucking awesome. I like their version of The Joker

Tribute to BOC? i think that was my first store-bought bootleg purchased at the same times as pumpkin seeds. what a fucking ripoff.

reprise85
06-01-2007, 03:19 AM
Tribute to BOC? i think that was my first store-bought bootleg purchased at the same times as pumpkin seeds. what a fucking ripoff.

I fell for that shit too when I found my first 'import' store after pumpkin obsession started. Thank god I only got like 5 before I started trading tapes. Also, I seem to remember selling the ones I had on eBay and making way more than I bought them for. But I was like 13, so I don't remember it that well.

I don't remember the first one I bought, but the first boot I traded for was Tribute to BOC, I do remember that. At least you got ripped off for a good one.

telex
06-01-2007, 03:34 AM
i also bought tribute to boc. there was another commerical bootleg with a neat digipak case called virgins. it only had half a show, but i remember being excited that they played rocket way before siamese dream came out.

anyways, spiteface was incredibly difficult to reconcile upon first listen.

stumpycat
06-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Honestly, I find myself listening to the non-album Pumpkins far more than their actual albums. Production aside, these songs are far more varied and interesting! I love how you can chart the "evolution" of the Pumpkins sound from truly new-wave (1988) to a very unique pseudo-60's hybrid (1989) to chunkier and heavier, but more straight-up "jam rock" (1990), then to that transitional hybrid grunge sound with warm and buzzy distortion (1992.) In 1997, songs like "The End is the Beginning is the End" and "Eye" paved the way to stuff like "Ava Adore" and then "The Everlasting Gaze."

Oh yeah...and "I Am One pt. II" is a really strange and eerie song...kind of creepy, actually.

telex
06-01-2007, 03:43 AM
yeah, there are many "missing link" tracks. i think apathy's last kiss is one of these. totally bizarre, but sort of indicates the heavy studio work that was to come. only instead of moving from one production style to the next within one song, he overlapped everything. glynis and siamese dream are like this, too. i can't think of many other pumpkins songs like these.

telex
06-01-2007, 03:45 AM
Oh yeah...and "I Am One pt. II" is a really strange and eerie song...kind of creepy, actually.

this was one of the first mp3s i ever downloaded. i think it was on the original spaa. having never heard of the songs existence before, it sort of felt like i was uncovering some big mystery. it kind of freaked me out.

D.
06-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Jennifer Ever is nice, too, and I've always had a certain fondness for There it Goes.
:)

mistle
06-01-2007, 03:54 AM
I!! AM MY EEEEEEEEEEEND!!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

Starchildren
06-01-2007, 03:57 AM
oui henri

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Egg
Vanilla
My Eternity

darcy666
06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
I wonder if Billy will ever get confused when he looks down at the setlist and sees 'Bullet' , and starts knocking out Bullet Train To Osaka :)

Cool As Ice Cream
06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
oui henri
oh yes

waltermcphilp
06-01-2007, 10:01 AM
i am now going back to their live shows in 88. when i first heard this stuff i thought it was damn near unlistenable, but for some reason my music tolerance seems to have increased.

czr
06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I wanna hear billy practicing scales in 1984

exactlythesame
06-01-2007, 12:01 PM
i am now going back to their live shows in 88. when i first heard this stuff i thought it was damn near unlistenable, but for some reason my music tolerance seems to have increased.

It's entertaining seeing people go in the opposite direction of the present.

fluxequalsrad
06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
What makes you think hardcore fans have zero cred in Billy's eyes (whatever that means)? And how exactly does this kind of talk hinder Billy from listening to the fans? I really don't get what you're saying. All I know is that on 12/2/00, they played part of Spiteface. Rock on.
and they did so in a joking fashion in reference to how horrible it is.

Beta
06-02-2007, 12:38 PM
whats with satellites?

said badly...
06-02-2007, 04:29 PM

One of my favorite Pumpkins tunes.

spidersoma
06-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Not Worth Asking sucks.

I really like Jennifer Ever, Stars Fall in and Spiteface. They actually kind of did a Spiteface teaser right before the breakup at one of their shows.

Cruiser
06-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Jennifer Ever is nice, too

This reminds me of a story... when I was at the book signing in Toronto, this girl in line beside me told me about when she went to a Machina era signing. Her name is Jennifer. She asked Billy to sign her cd or whatever it was "To Jennifer Ever," but he didn't get it, and after she repeated it twice, he just wrote "To Jennifer Forever"

haha

stumpycat
06-03-2007, 02:13 AM
That's a very depressing anecdote, Cruiser. :(
(I guess that means we won't be hearing it any time soon, then...)

That was exactly my reaction when I first listened! But since I have become quite a fan of the more "overlooked" genres of 80's music--especially new wave rock (all flavors) and 80's dark "goth" rock as well as all the (non hair-metal) rock bands of the decade. The stuff the Pumpkins did in the 80's (except perhaps their first show with that drum machine...which just sounded too pop) now fits in perfectly within my range of musical preferences.