View Full Version : Are the Pumpkins destined to suffer from the Aerosmith syndrome?

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 06:43 AM
Let's face it, a band can't have a return to massive popularity in the rock business without putting out music that brings in new fans and 95% of the time that means that they must appeal to youth (barring an unusual case like Eric Clapton). When an established band who is trying to return to prominence is successful at appealing to youth (i.e. new fans from the current generation of youngsters), a lot of their old fan base are guaranteed to be pissed off. Why? Because the band in question has to produce music that will play on the radio today and that involves changing their style and it brings accusations of "selling out." I'm calling this the Aerosmith syndrome.

Basically, if Billy Corgan tries to appeal to the current younger generation he is guaranteed to suffer from the Aerosmith syndrome, IMHO.

Are the Pumpkins destined to suffer from the Aerosmith syndrome?

Martyr
05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
This has been brought up already...more than once too.

SP/Aerosmith comparisons trouble me.

You Said
05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
why do you do this?

Kahlo
05-31-2007, 06:46 AM
DEL

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 06:48 AM
This has been brought up already...more than once too.

SP/Aerosmith comparisons trouble me.

I haven't seen this issue of the Aerosmith syndrome dealt with yet and I think it needs to be. This is an open therapy session for all of us. :rofl:

stephen_bayne
05-31-2007, 06:58 AM
I think the difference here is that Aerosmith and bands like them kind of became uncool when grunge came in because grunge seemed to be the opposite of what bands like Aerosmith were seen to be about where the Pumpkins seem to have actually regained a lot of their lost stature due to todays bands siting them as an influence. I think as long as the album is good they've got a chance of brining in some new fans although I can see more old fans coming back then new fans coming in.

Martyr
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Hopefully this will always be a vital difference between the two:

Aerosmith had very little to do with writing their main comeback hit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Want_to_Miss_a_Thing

"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was written primarily by the credited songwriter, Diane Warren, although band member Joe Perry helped Warren in the songwriting process.

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 07:05 AM
I think the difference here is that Aerosmith and bands like them kind of became uncool when grunge came in because grunge seemed to be the opposite of what bands like Aerosmith were seen to be about where the Pumpkins seem to have actually regained a lot of their lost stature due to todays bands siting them as an influence. I think as long as the album is good they've got a chance of brining in some new fans although I can see more old fans coming back then new fans coming in.

Did you get that from a history book? It wasn't like that at all. Grunge didn't hurt Aerosmith at all. Remember, they regained their popularity when Guns N Roses and Metallica were the biggest bands in the world (Guns N Roses did their share of Aerosmith covers and Metallica claims that Aersosmith is one of their biggest influences and inspired them to become rock stars).

No, grunge didn't even touch Aerosmith's popularity.

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Hopefully this will always be a vital difference between the two:

Aerosmith had very little to do with writing their main comeback hit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Don%27t_Want_to_Miss_a_Thing

That wasn't their comeback hit! Their comeback was a cover of one of their classic tunes. The rest of the hits off of "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump" were written by the band mostly I think, I'll double check that.

Martyr
05-31-2007, 07:10 AM
That wasn't their comeback hit! Their comeback was a cover of one of their classic tunes. The rest of the hits off of "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump" were written by the band mostly I think, I'll double check that.

That's the trouble with these guys. They've come back too many times.

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
That's the trouble with these guys. They've come back too many times.

I can't find the writing credits for Aerosmth songs right now but this is interesting:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nicholas.clarkson/history.html

Incidentally, that's the first thing I've heard you say that sounds like Woody Allen. :rofl:

stephen_bayne
05-31-2007, 07:24 AM
Did you get that from a history book? It wasn't like that at all. Grunge didn't hurt Aerosmith at all. Remember, they regained their popularity when Guns N Roses and Metallica were the biggest bands in the world (Guns N Roses did their share of Aerosmith covers and Metallica claims that Aersosmith is one of their biggest influences and inspired them to become rock stars).

No, grunge didn't even touch Aerosmith's popularity.

No, just going from a questionable memory. I just remember that whole scene getting a bad rep back in the day for being too corperate and kind of dorky. I may be thinking of something else though.

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 07:31 AM
No, just going from a questionable memory. I just remember that whole scene getting a bad rep back in the day for being too corperate and kind of dorky. I may be thinking of something else though.

Some people may have felt that way but not most people by any means. Grunge didn't touch Aerosmith though, imho. The proof is simple: they came back to be bigger than ever before grunge hit and they had their biggest selling album ever "Get a Grip" in 1993-4 when grunge was peaking in popularity. Is that enough proof?

redbreegull
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Billy is not the type to sell out. So calm down. I can't even tell you how many times this has been discussed.

Trotskilicious
05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
i think bill took the artistic road and people laughed at him so now he's just gonna try and cash in and people will laugh at him

SlingeroGuitaro
05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
billy totally sold out......

this entire tour.

stephen_bayne
05-31-2007, 07:51 AM
Some people may have felt that way but not most people by any means. Grunge didn't touch Aerosmith though, imho. The proof is simple: they came back to be bigger than ever before grunge hit and they had their biggest selling album ever "Get a Grip" in 1993-4 when grunge was peaking in popularity. Is that enough proof?

Must have been a vocal minority like you said. My bad man.

Kahlo
05-31-2007, 08:06 AM

this entire tour.

i feel dirty and want to high five you.

Rider
05-31-2007, 08:18 AM

this entire tour.

Wow your he totally sold out tiny clubs. I mean come on, who could sell out a club that holds a whole 900 people.

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I welcome the support of MisterSquishyHalo and SlingeroGuitaro in this thread. :smoke:

What do the three posters who have voted "yes" in this poll have in common?

Three of the coolest animated gif avatars you'll ever see on this site!

You better listen to the cool animated gif avatar people! :cool:

We're coming at you with truth, bitches!

http://forums.netphoria.org/image.php?u=2077&dateline=1178733241 http://forums.netphoria.org/image.php?u=4954&dateline=1178512567 http://forums.netphoria.org/image.php?u=10450&dateline=1172578963

dora
05-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Of ALL bands to compare them to..Aerosmith..reeeally?

The Omega Concern
05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.gocontinental.com/photos2/rundmc2a.jpg

if the Pumpkins hooks up with 50-Cent for a re-do of Rat in a Cage, then ya...

Ugly
05-31-2007, 03:17 PM
That would actually be pretty awesome.

Also, Corgan singing "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" would also be pretty awesome. And if he had hair extensions.

Boycott Graceland
05-31-2007, 05:20 PM
hm

davskij
05-31-2007, 05:48 PM
aerosmith made their big come back in 1989 with the album PUMP. multi platinum. huuuge hit!

suncrashesdown
05-31-2007, 05:59 PM
"love in an elevator, livin' it up when i'm goin' down....for you"

GlasgowKiss
05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
I dont know much about aerosmith, but i get the feeling they didnt talk shit about being an artist and always wanting to be at the cutting edge, challenging everything and crap like that. Billy has, thats his problem.

He hasnt sold out, he's just set standards with his careless talk that he doesnt care to live upto.

Cherub Angel
05-31-2007, 06:08 PM
No. Steven Tyler was a poor man's Mick Jagger from the start and Aerosmith were always hacks.

You could call Corgan and SP a lot of things, but not hacks.

GlasgowKiss
05-31-2007, 06:11 PM
No. Steven Tyler was a poor man's Mick Jagger from the start and Aerosmith were always hacks.

You could call Corgan and SP a lot of things, but not hacks.
Can i call d'arcy a hack?

morespsoon
05-31-2007, 06:59 PM
People just don't get what I was saying in the OP.

Look, if someone gets Lou Gehrig's disease, do people start debating whether or not the person is like Lou Gehrig?

Of course not, it's 100% irrelevant. What's going on here? :rofl:

slunken
05-31-2007, 08:21 PM
wot you guys don't like aerosmith?

the arms of sleep
05-31-2007, 08:57 PM
People just don't get what I was saying in the OP.

Look, if someone gets Lou Gehrig's disease, do people start debating whether or not the person is like Lou Gehrig?

Of course not, it's 100% irrelevant. What's going on here? :rofl:

way to clear it up

RandyMolson
05-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Why? Because the band in question has to produce music that will play on the radio today and that involves changing their style and it brings accusations of "selling out." I'm calling this the Aerosmith syndrome.

People just don't get what I was saying in the OP. Look, if someone gets Lou Gehrig's disease, do people start debating whether or not the person is like Lou Gehrig? Of course not, it's 100% irrelevant. What's going on here? :rofl:

What is going on is that Aerosmith never changed their style. They equally sucked earlier and later, and very much the same way. That is why the suckiness of Aerosmith and not your syndrome theory is being debated.

Trotskilicious
05-31-2007, 09:52 PM
ok lets call it U2 syndrome, then

mccririck
05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
U2 syndrome is a pretty horrendous illness to get. Dont joke about it guys.

Boseph
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
U2 syndrome is a pretty horrendous illness to get. Dont joke about it guys.

Yeah I had a bad case of that a while back. I started wearing sunglasses indoors for no particular reason.

Cherub Angel
05-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Can i call d'arcy a hack?

well, it does rhyme with 'crack'.......