View Full Version : WEDNESDAY NIGHT LOST THREAD

yo soy el mejor
05-30-2007, 07:57 PM
:(

- geo.

GOD DAMN IT, ******.

Ugly
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
don't worry, its only 7 months away. reason to live.

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Can we discuss spoilers?

BTW, is it just me or has this show gotten really, fucking amazingly great over the last half season...?

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
It's not just you

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 11:02 PM
It's not just you

Have you heard about the "loophole" theory?

Best theory thus far, and its the one theory that I've heard that could actually be part of the explanation of whats been happening.

no more charlie... :(

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Noooo I haven't! Tell me all about it!!

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Noooo I haven't! Tell me all about it!!

The whole idea is that they are all on a loop. Read this post, its pretty fucking good for a fan theory!

Okay....I am only going to explain it once, because this show makes my head hurt from thinking. All the characters stories are on a loop. They have been running/living the same loop for who knows how long and how many times. Maybe hundreds. Don't ask me why, I was never good at science. The whole point to their madness is to figure out they are on a loop so that everyone doesn't make the same mistakes. Hence Jack's crappy future life for example. Locke is figuring this out, Ben knows this. That is why they do things that seem bad but really aren't. Like locke killing Naomi. Locke tried to stop Jack from getting them rescued because they are not supposed to, or at least not rescued yet or at that certain way or time. That's why flash forward Jack wants to go back, he knows they made another mistake, which is why he tells Kate "he is tired of lying!" Desmond's flashes are memories from all the times they have gone through the loop and all the mistakes they have made, except now he is remembering them ever since he turned the key and blew up the hatch and now he is trying to prevent these flashes. Every flash he has had of Charlie's death have been past loops that have gone wrong. Next season they will most likely go back to this moment again and he will prevent Charlie from drowning aswell, like one of those choose your own adventure books....plus if you haven't figured it out yet, it was Charlie that programed the code in the looking glass in first place since it was programed by a musician...all this happened on a past loop. A loop we have not seen yet, but am sure will see in the future. Which means Charlie will be back next season when they repeat the loop again. Yes Charlie is dead....he did die. So DM and the writers did not lie. But, they did also say that the reference to death on the show LOST should be interpreted in a way that the audience is not expecting. When they repeat the loop again, they will have to make different choices.

In the end each character will have to go through the loop until they realize what they are meant to know, they will eventually never get on the plane in the first place, and none of the castaways will ever meet each other in their lives even though their paths have crossed over so many times before. Which is what causes that moment between two people who have never met but feel like they are connected in a way they can never explain. Thank you and good night.

However, they have stated that Charlie is dead and not returning but that doesn't mean shit...

Fattening Ass
05-30-2007, 11:12 PM
why do you guys always get lost on wednesday nights :think:

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 11:13 PM
These are some of the follow ups others have posted:

Great theory.

"Locke is the chess master who programmed the flame, which is why he is the only one who can beat it."

And going along with this is the fact that a songwriter programmed the code to turn off the jamming equip and it just so happens that Charlie is the one to turn it off and he is a songwriter. Hummm...

The Pashing Smumpkin
Maybe the Loop is on so they will STAY on the island.

Jack said they had to go back. I don't think the loop is to keep them from getting on the plane.

And Locke is the only one who could beat the chess game, because he programmed it himself. And then the Flame station blew up, and in his past loop he programmed it with C4 so when he came back he could blow it up, and make it so the other Losties couldn't contact the outside world to save them.

And Locke kills Naomi because he dosn't want to get off the island, and Jack was supposed to go along with that - but he didn't. Like Locke said "You arn't supposed to do this Jack"

Ugly
time is flowing differently on the island as opposed to in the real world, though. For sure. Cuse and Lindelof pretty much dropped huge hints to that at ComicCon, Walt looking wayyyy older when he appeared to Locke, and that future-tastic looking cellphone/radio thingie that the chick had. Sayid said "I've never seen anything like this before."

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Yep...now you are talking. It all fits. Locke totally progammed the Flame Station, Charlie programed the Looking Glass, I am sure if we all thought hard enough there would be more of those all over the place....like Hurley probably came up with the numbers in the hatch that you had to type in, since those are his numbers. think about it...it is all making sense. The island has been living for a long time with them on it leaving clues for themselves. It all a recurring loop

Locke programmed the Flame Station.
Charlie programmed the Looking Glass.
Hurley came up with the numbers they had to type in

Oh fuck it, the posts go on for pages! Its at the folowing link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411008/board/nest/75295936?p=2

Fattening Ass
05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
whats with this font color shit

Fattening Ass
05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
<font color="font colors fucking suck">huh!~?</font>

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-30-2007, 11:22 PM
whats with this font color shit

Im posting other peoples opinions in different colors...

I was just trying to be creative!!! :(

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 11:24 PM
I appreciate it!!!

Fattening Ass
05-30-2007, 11:26 PM
<font face="Arial" size="2">
<b><font color="blue">w</font><font color="aqua">h</font><font color="lime">a</font><font color="lime">t</font><font color="fuchsia">e</font><font color="fuchsia">v</font><font color="gold">e</font><font color="gold">r</font></b></font>

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Those are some awesome theories, man. Thank you so much for posting them :)

tcm
what do you guys think of this Traveler guy. i think he's maybe like, an angel or something. an angel from the future?

avian chaos
I think you're an angel from the future.

tcm
05-30-2007, 11:31 PM
you are.

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you.

suncrashesdown
05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
I think the loop theory sounds like it could be the answer. Great find!

avian chaos
05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
I think you could be the answer, suncrashesdown.

tcm
05-30-2007, 11:51 PM
i'm sticking with the nexus-of-universes for now.

every perceivable possibility exists in one of an infinite or very large number of universes, and the island allows people to subconsciously tap into one of those universes and pull out whatever. that's the "magic box" property. probability is essentially out the window, hence a seemingly impossible number of coincidental occurrences - they're not impossible, just extremely improbable. apparently prophetic dreams and visions are in fact the causes of those events. back when the polar bears first showed up, it seemed like Walt had conjured them from his comic book. later it was shown to be DHARMA that brought them to the island. but perhaps it was both. DHARMA existed in one universe, and Walt summoned not only the polar bears but the entire DHARMA Initiative. of course that would essentially throw causality out the window too, but whatever. he's a special boy, after all.

time travel's been done to death anyway.

tcm
05-31-2007, 12:00 AM
^thunder courtesy of topleybird.

Ugly
05-31-2007, 03:01 AM
probability is essentially out the window, hence a seemingly impossible number of coincidental occurrences - they're not impossible, just extremely improbable. .

I read a really good theory on AICN that LOST is actually a biproduct of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" and the Infinite Improbability Drive on the Heart of Gold. All of it is possible, just very, very improbable.

If it turns out that Jacob is actually Arthur Dent and the 3-toed statue is a shrine to Zaphod Beeblebox, LOST would turn out to be the greatest piece of fan-fiction ever in existence.

I mean, think about it, in another universe that's possible. Just very, very improbable.

Rider
05-31-2007, 03:06 AM
I read a really good theory on AICN that LOST is actually a biproduct of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" and the Infinite Improbability Drive on the Heart of Gold. All of it is possible, just very, very improbable.

If it turns out that Jacob is actually Arthur Dent and the 3-toed statue is a shrine to Zaphod Beeblebox, LOST would turn out to be the greatest piece of fan-fiction ever in existence.

I mean, think about it, in another universe that's possible. Just very, very improbable.

5 people would think it was the greatest thing ever and the rest of world would pissed. It would be awesome. I almost hope they make it something stupid just to fuck with people.

Ugly
05-31-2007, 03:19 AM
5 people would think it was the greatest thing ever and the rest of world would pissed. It would be awesome. I almost hope they make it something stupid just to fuck with people.

That brings up a universal truth: everybody is going to be pissed at the ending. Somehow. Esp. when you have big followings, and a definitive ending, the result is never what everyone wants because they already wrote it in their heads. For example, check out the shitstorm that'll hit when 'Arry Potter 7 comes out this summer. Constant bitching. That even happened to The Dark Tower, something that I never read, but apparently people hated the ending. (Stephen King even dropped this nugget of wisdom to J.K. Rowling himself). Did anybody like the ending of the X-Files? Anybody?

This is going to be esp. true of LOST where the central point of the show is: What In The Everlovin' Fuck Is Going On This Island. Heck, even the very last line of the pilot episode (RIP Charlie) is "Guys... where are we?"

Whatever the answer to that question is, some people may guess it, some people may not, but its not going to satify everyone. Or even the majority of viewers, I'd guess.

Apparently, Lindelof and Co. said in a podcast they have a script under glass that says "BREAK IN CASE OF CANCELATION" and, in the script, a talking monkey outlines what the show is about. Personally, I think they should go with that.

tcm
05-31-2007, 03:48 AM
pretty sure i won't be pissed at the ending.

Rider
05-31-2007, 03:51 AM
That brings up a universal truth: everybody is going to be pissed at the ending. Somehow. Esp. when you have big followings, and a definitive ending, the result is never what everyone wants because they already wrote it in their heads. For example, check out the shitstorm that'll hit when 'Arry Potter 7 comes out this summer. Constant bitching. That even happened to The Dark Tower, something that I never read, but apparently people hated the ending. (Stephen King even dropped this nugget of wisdom to J.K. Rowling himself). Did anybody like the ending of the X-Files? Anybody?

This is going to be esp. true of LOST where the central point of the show is: What In The Everlovin' Fuck Is Going On This Island. Heck, even the very last line of the pilot episode (RIP Charlie) is "Guys... where are we?"

Whatever the answer to that question is, some people may guess it, some people may not, but its not going to satify everyone. Or even the majority of viewers, I'd guess.

Apparently, Lindelof and Co. said in a podcast they have a script under glass that says "BREAK IN CASE OF CANCELATION" and, in the script, a talking monkey outlines what the show is about. Personally, I think they should go with that.

Yep I've used the some of the same examples in other Lost. By the way the ending to the Dark Tower books was the shitiest ending spoiler warning......

Ok so in the dark tower books you follow a guy named Roland as he walks toward the dark tower. There are 7 drak tower books but it ties in with something like 20 other Stephen King books. So you have invested 20+ years and read tens of thousands of pages. When he fianlly gets to the tower and gets to the top he walks through the door and this is the pay off is it starts all over again at book one. There is no fucking ending.

Why did this happen because KIng spent years just making shit up, he never knew what was in the tower he could never think of it so he fucked up the ending. At least he warns you though.

This is what I'm afraid of with Lost they have no outline.

Ugly
05-31-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm pretty sure LOST has a very, very vague outline. They had the skeletons in S.1 in the caves, and that'll be answered (unless those are supposed to be DHARMA skeletons, but I dobut it). The 3-toed statue will be answered. They've said repeatedly they've layed this shit into the show so that when the Big Reveal Happens, they can point to a 3 second shot in season one and say "HA! SEE! WE KNEW WHAT WE WERE DOING ALL ALONG! NAYH-NYAH!!"

But, as I'd assume, the outline is probably like, 3 lines so they have alot of wiggle room to fill out individual episodes that'll, eventually, contradict each other.

Heard about the Dark Tower ending. Sounds kinda cool, very me<ta>ta-fictional-y, but could also piss people off, totally. Personally, I'm waiting until there's a one-jillion page Dark Tower Ominbus till I read it. Or King said he may pull a Lucas and go back and Special Editionize the earlier books to make the ending fit. From reading around online, Dark Tower does sound like a small project that got away from him.

I don't believe LOST is like that. But I do believe they're taking their sweet time getting there (the paced-for-trade storytelling, to steal a comic book analogy. Or paced-for-DVD-box-sets), and that'll screw up the overall storyline. And, in turn, piss people off about where its goin'.

Rider
05-31-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm pretty sure LOST has a very, very vague outline. They had the skeletons in S.1 in the caves, and that'll be answered (unless those are supposed to be DHARMA skeletons, but I dobut it). The 3-toed statue will be answered. They've said repeatedly they've layed this shit into the show so that when the Big Reveal Happens, they can point to a 3 second shot in season one and say "HA! SEE! WE KNEW WHAT WE WERE DOING ALL ALONG! NAYH-NYAH!!"

But, as I'd assume, the outline is probably like, 3 lines so they have alot of wiggle room to fill out individual episodes that'll, eventually, contradict each other.

Heard about the Dark Tower ending. Sounds kinda cool, very me<ta>ta-fictional-y, but could also piss people off, totally. Personally, I'm waiting until there's a one-jillion page Dark Tower Ominbus till I read it. Or King said he may pull a Lucas and go back and Special Editionize the earlier books to make the ending fit. From reading around online, Dark Tower does sound like a small project that got away from him.

I don't believe LOST is like that. But I do believe they're taking their sweet time getting there (the paced-for-trade storytelling, to steal a comic book analogy. Or paced-for-DVD-box-sets), and that'll screw up the overall storyline. And, in turn, piss people off about where its goin'.

Yeah he is going to be redoing it. Also read the comicbook it is awesome and a good intro. The comicbook is actually book 4 but it's where the story really should have started. And there are great little essays in the back of each issue which explain shit that I never picked up from the books.

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Those are some awesome theories, man. Thank you so much for posting them :)

No worries mate!

I think they are pretty much spot on. Im just hoping the post gets deleted from IMDB because then its like "bingo! Us fans figured you writer fucks out!" :D

It would be great to have some of the past castaways get another shot as well. I always felt Boone died alittle too early. They could still get rid of his cunt sister though. She was a fucker. Also, I know everyone hated that anna lucia chick but i liked her!

One thing I still haven't figured out though, was Walt actually on the island looking down at locke or was he a figment? I thought he was a figment (like that episode with boone appearing to Locke) but then again, the show is so completly fucked up, he could actually still be on the island somehow...!

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-31-2007, 09:01 AM
You know what ive fucking loved about season 3? The fact that they've played out the "OMIFUK WE"RE ACTUALLY DEAD AND IN HELL!!!" theory! Its almost like they've put that in just to fuck with the fanbase!

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM

Thats exactly the way I felt about the first half of season 3; or the whole 'Kate, Jack and Sawyer being held captive by the others' shit... It just pandered for way too long but then they get back to the rest of the crew and the show takes off like a motherfuck. Even some of the individual episodes were great, like the two love birds who poison each other but then end up being buried alive, fucking great!

Guess the real question is, after a brilliant season 3 wrap up, have they fizzled out for the rest of the show? (this is one of the reasons Im so hesitant to watch season 6 of 24. After the near-perfect season 5, Ive heard nothing but shit about season 6... :( )

Geek USA
05-31-2007, 11:59 AM
i love you guys.

HorseflyKing
05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
my father-in-law works with a dude named Sayid.
He doesn't pronounce it the same way.
He says it more like "sah-ed"
That makes me sad.

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-31-2007, 12:38 PM
i love you guys.

Save your pity for the weak! :mad:

yo soy el mejor
05-31-2007, 01:40 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaPy4SUO26M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DaPy4SUO26M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

FINALLY OUR WORLDS COLLIDE!

Ugly
05-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Thats exactly the way I felt about the first half of season 3; or the whole 'Kate, Jack and Sawyer being held captive by the others' shit... It just pandered for way too long but then they get back to the rest of the crew and the show takes off like a motherfuck. Even some of the individual episodes were great, like the two love birds who poison each other but then end up being buried alive, fucking great!

Guess the real question is, after a brilliant season 3 wrap up, have they fizzled out for the rest of the show? (this is one of the reasons Im so hesitant to watch season 6 of 24. After the near-perfect season 5, Ive heard nothing but shit about season 6... :( )

Actually, for all the hubabaloo about the finale and the ramp up towards the finale, I still say "Expose" was the best episode of the season. It didn't redeem the characters of Nikki and Paulo, or make them central to the mystery, but its a hellova fun night of TV. And shockingly self-contained. And it had Billy Dee Williams in it. And that chick looked sooo hot in every boob-busting top she wore. And they got burried alive at the end. I thought the episode was pretty good the first time I saw it, but now as time passes, I just think its fantastic. Then I'd go "Man Behind The Curtain" for the #2, and then onward.

As for 24 S6 - the first 4 episodes are boss as fuck. Interested and understated ending, too. Another great performance by Sutherland. And his big throwdown with the terrorist scum is nicely offset by comming at a different point than you'd expect it. "Say hi to your brother for me" is one of the best lines of the season. And also this little nugget from Jack at the end, "In case you’ve forgotten, I’m very good at disappearing. And if you try sending someone after us, I’ll kill 'em. Pretty good at that, too."

There's some real good shit in S.6, but it has a kind of rote attitude to it. Been there, done that. Feels like its on autopilot. After comming off S.5, that's kind of a downer. But, its 24 for fuck's sake. Even when its bad, it still more boss than 90% of TV out there. (but it does get pretty bad, but still funny, when Jack teams up with some retard for an entire episode. Hillarious.)

Warsaw
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
FINALLY OUR WORLDS COLLIDE!

**MARKS CALENDAR**

The Pashing Smumpkin
05-31-2007, 11:27 PM
As for 24 S6 - the first 4 episodes are boss as fuck. Interested and understated ending, too. Another great performance by Sutherland. And his big throwdown with the terrorist scum is nicely offset by comming at a different point than you'd expect it. "Say hi to your brother for me" is one of the best lines of the season. And also this little nugget from Jack at the end, "In case you’ve forgotten, I’m very good at disappearing. And if you try sending someone after us, I’ll kill 'em. Pretty good at that, too."

There's some real good shit in S.6, but it has a kind of rote attitude to it. Been there, done that. Feels like its on autopilot. After comming off S.5, that's kind of a downer. But, its 24 for fuck's sake. Even when its bad, it still more boss than 90% of TV out there. (but it does get pretty bad, but still funny, when Jack teams up with some retard for an entire episode. Hillarious.)

Im gonna give season 6 a go after my "entire-season-of-heroes-butt-numb-a-thon-fest" that Im currently undertaking. :p Ive just watched the first episode of Heroes and its pretty good, hope the other 22 episodes are the same.

I sort of thought they did the show (24) a bit of a disservice by killing off so many fucking people in season 5. As brilliant as it was, I kinda miss Michelle and felt she was one of the strongest characters on the show. Ive also heard that season 7 is going to be a complete departure from the rest of the show - literally. As its not going to take place with CTU or on American soil... Dunno what to make of that.

Ugly
06-01-2007, 05:01 AM
where'd you get a heroes s1 Download? I have the whole season as megashares links, but it only lets you DL 250 megs per session, and its 350 megs an episode (and this download manager, FlashGet, I got is complete garbage). my favourite site, Projectw, up and died on me, so I'm starting to wear thin.

The Pashing Smumpkin
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
where'd you get a heroes s1 Download? I have the whole season as megashares links, but it only lets you DL 250 megs per session, and its 350 megs an episode (and this download manager, FlashGet, I got is complete garbage). my favourite site, Projectw, up and died on me, so I'm starting to wear thin.

i just go to torrentz. Theres plenty of episodes on the following link but they're all pretty big files. Otherwise, you can try ipodnova, they are usually smaller files because they are formatted for your ipod (the quality is much lower then the regular files thouigh. Check the following link:

http://www.torrentz.com/search?q=heroes+season***

Travis Meeks
06-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I have a feeling that the writers read the theories and then say 'Damn, can't use that one now!" whenever they read a theory that they were working on. I just enjoy the show, thinking about it too much makes it fustrating.

avian chaos
06-01-2007, 12:29 PM
But it also makes it fun! ^

And yeah, for whomever said torrentz.com, that's where we go to get our Heroes episodes, too. Well, that's where we go to get our everything. Sometimes I like to go there and just look up axxo to see what movies he's put up recently. It's like being in a virtual movie store. :smoke:

topleybird
06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Why would Charlie program that code to be anything other than "You All Everybody"? Wouldn't that be a fantastic clue to himself that time was running in a loop? I think the fact that a musician programmed the code just indicates that Desmond's vision was indeed a sort of destiny. No one else would have been able to put the code in--it had to be Charlie. The musician in question is some anonymous Dharma person.

The Pashing Smumpkin
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Why would Charlie program that code to be anything other than "You All Everybody"? Wouldn't that be a fantastic clue to himself that time was running in a loop? I think the fact that a musician programmed the code just indicates that Desmond's vision was indeed a sort of destiny. No one else would have been able to put the code in--it had to be Charlie. The musician in question is some anonymous Dharma person.

True, but dont you think the loop theory also conveniently explains Hurleys numbers and the unbeatable chess game Locke played? Also, look at what Locke does at the end. He kills that chick without a moments hesitation and says to Jack something along the lines of "its not meant to happen this way". Locke is pretty much portrayed as a good guy and I thought it was out of his character to do that. Also maybe the reason why Charlie didn't put "you are everybody" could relate to what Locke was saying to Jack. Locke didnt give Jack a reason as to why it wasnt "meant to happen" and maybe for whatever reason, they're not meant to know the reason they're in a loop yet...

On a side note, it was great seeing that Black chick with the white husband again in the last couple of episodes, I wish they would make them permanents.

topleybird
06-06-2007, 10:29 PM
But the whole idea of the theory you posted is that they are supposed to realize they're in a loop. The jamming signal code being a song is supposed to mean Charlie deliberately set up that clue for himself. So why wouldn't he set up a better clue? And why wouldn't he, you know, set up some way to NOT DIE? What's the use of recognizing you're in a time loop if you aren't going to get out of it?

Unbeatable chess game: It wasn't unbeatable. Winning the game granted you basic, housekeeping-level options like requesting a food drop. It wasn't meant to be unbeatable. Mikhail only claimed he couldn't beat it because he didn't want Locke to play, win, and get access to the computer system.

Hurley's numbers are part of an equation unrelated to him, if we are to believe The Lost Experience. Regardless, they did not originate with Hurley, and simply sticking him in a loop on the island would not produce the timeline which led to him hearing about the numbers from a fellow mental patient, who heard the numbers from a listening station years ago.

Your loop theorist wrote, "Like locke killing Naomi. Locke tried to stop Jack from getting them rescued because they are not supposed to, or at least not rescued yet or at that certain way or time." This is a pretty basic misunderstanding of the episode. They're not about to get rescued. We know that Naomi is not who she claims to be. And who else is saying Naomi's a fake? Ben, who says she represents a group that wants the island for themselves and are willing to kill everyone to do it. Season Four is not going to start off with anyone being happily rescued. It's going to start with a bloodbath.

I think there's a lot of stuff about destiny on the show, and unfortunately a bit about time travel, so I can't rule out a time loop thing. But I've yet to see any actual evidence of it, certainly not in anything that theorist wrote.