View Full Version : So why Asheville, of all places? Well, I might have found out

DuessaDivine
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
The Pumpkins are possibly going to keep returning to Asheville for recording.

I heard this from a lady that fronts a band (Suttree) that has played all over the country with M. Ward and Cat Power... a really popular, connected band here locally. Everyone in town here is speculating about why exactly a mega-band would have a residency at a small venue in a town that hardly anyone has even heard of before. I have a lot of faith in what my friend told me, simply based on her band's resume. Although I admit I don't know where she got her information.

Kind of makes sense, though. Asheville is kind of like Jackson Hole, WY or something-- a small, remote town that can be very cosmopolitan, where celebrities can go to be a little anonymous. A lot of famous people have vacation homes here and such. And working downtown I've met many bands, actors, directors (Steven Spielburg!) etc. We also have several great recording studios, including a brand new one (Echo Mountain Studios) with lots of buzz surrounding it.

So maybe?
Who knows.
I'll just ask bill when I see him.

Ihaman
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Nobody care.

TylerDurden67
05-22-2007, 10:59 AM
interesting.

DuessaDivine
05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Nobody care.

JAMEZ??!!

solacematt
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
It's true, my friend lives up there and said that a lot of celebrities do go there to vacation. The people are real laid back as well. If you can stand the fact that it's real country, behind the times and everything is real spread apart it's fine for you. Asheville was actually reported as in the top 5 places to live in the united states last year actually. Nashville was number 1.

monkeyfritters
05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
fuck those rednecks and hicks.

Technocratic
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
eh fuck it....

kelsome
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Yeah guys! Maybe you can catch the drum circle on Saturday night!

DuessaDivine
05-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Have you ever been here? It's definitely not a typical southern place. I am originally from Pennsylvania, and there's more rednecks there than there are here.

Hey, I'm originally from Pittsburg. Nice.

Asheville is far more sophisticated than a lot of places I've lived. I also hate to see it written off as a hippie town-- I guess it is, but in the spirit of Portland or San Francisco or Santa Fe. It's an artists town, bottom line.

Also, it's not exactly in the middle of nowhere. 15 minutes from downtown is the quite schmancy (and currently expanding) Asheville International airport.

But hey, the more close-minded people write off Asheville as Bumfuck USA, the better for the people who already live here. And, possibly, for the Pumpkins as well.

papermoonpixie
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Asheville is a gorgeous place, people who've never been there don't understand that.

tweedyburd
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't think there's a big mystery as to why they chose Asheville - of course, I'm from here, so I guess I'm biased:)

But honestly, it's the perfect location for what they wanted, what they were shooting for. Geographically, it's a lot closer to a lot more places than New York, Philly, Atlanta, or other east coast cities they could've chosen. It's beautiful here, there's a lot of arts, culture... oh, and before I forget, this is the town Tom Waits chose to play recently as one of a tiny handful of U.S. shows. So it's not entirely random.

Above all, I think once people see the Orange Peel and visit the city they'll understand - the venue is without a doubt the best concert hall in the southeast in terms of class, intimacy and overall character. It kicks the shit out of the Tabernacle.

Having said that, the venue's sound is geared more toward regional acoustic acts, and the only time I've seen a rock show there (Interpol) the sound was kinda off. It'll be interesting to see how SP adjusts.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks Asheville is a hick town.... :rofl:

wHATcOLOR
05-22-2007, 08:58 PM
. And the Orange Peel has hosted many cool underground bands. Les Claypool plays here pretty regularly (I'm going to see him for the 4th time next month)

bro, the two gallants are opening, right?

Pheeew
05-22-2007, 09:12 PM
i hear there is a very challenging disc golf course in Asheville. i'm gonna be checking that place out.

slunken
05-22-2007, 09:19 PM
"And the Orange Peel has hosted many cool underground bands. Les Claypool plays here pretty regularly"

Laughing My Fucking Ass Off

Skylarq
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
the fact that you people need to try and validate Asheville by saying how nobody understands how cool it actually is need to just realize that nothing of significance has ever happened there and until something does, nobody gives a shit

ChrisChiasson
05-22-2007, 09:34 PM
... southern place ...
no

Technocratic
05-22-2007, 09:40 PM
and until something does, nobody gives a shit

uh... hmm. Smashing Pumpkins is playing 9 shows here :rofl:

penn darvis
05-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Asheville = approximate middle of the East Coast
SF = approximate middle of the West Coast

There's your reason folks.

tweedyburd
05-22-2007, 09:52 PM
the fact that you people need to try and validate Asheville by saying how nobody understands how cool it actually is need to just realize that nothing of significance has ever happened there and until something does, nobody gives a shit

There's a difference between trying to validate Asheville as a cool place and simply answering questions, or maybe you don't understand the difference? You guys are the ones asking us locals why they chose this city, what's so special about it - those of us who live here are just trying to fill you in on why we think it's pretty great. I love this area, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't.

Skylarq
05-22-2007, 10:04 PM
There's a difference between trying to validate Asheville as a cool place and simply answering questions, or maybe you don't understand the difference? You guys are the ones asking us locals why they chose this city, what's so special about it - those of us who live here are just trying to fill you in on why we think it's pretty great. I love this area, but it doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't.

I didn't ask any questions...the thread starter asked "So why Asheville?" and I'm pretty sure she is from Asheville based on her post from the traders forum. I'm sure Asheville is just fine, and I'm from a mid-size town myself. But it seems like most of this thread is people saying things like "well people don't understand that it is really sophisticated" and "jeepers I mean Les Claypool even plays here!" It sounds like people are frustrated that Asheville isn't highly respected and I simply gave my opinion that nothing significant has ever happened there so it isn't in most peoples frame of reference.

tweedyburd
05-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I didn't ask any questions....

I meant the board in general, as in other threads, other posters... or have you just missed those?

It sounds like people are frustrated that Asheville isn't highly respected and I simply gave my opinion that nothing significant has ever happened there so it isn't in most peoples frame of reference.

Who's frustrated? I'm not. I simply pointed out the positive qualities that make this town, and the venue, so unique, especially in the south. Many people have said they don't understand why the band chose the Orange Peel, and I'm just saying they might when they get here. Is that such a big deal?

Oh, and forget Les Claypool. When's the last time Tom Waits and the Smashing Pumpkins played in your city, within the same year? I think that's pretty "significant." ;)

DisconnectD
05-23-2007, 03:57 AM
[QUOTE=tweedyburd]

Having said that, the venue's sound is geared more toward regional acoustic acts, and the only time I've seen a rock show there (Interpol) the sound was kinda off. It'll be interesting to see how SP adjusts.

Oh, and for anyone who thinks Asheville is a hick town.... :rofl:

Now you see, that last little bit about the Orangepeel being geared torwards acoustic shows scares me more than a little bit. Can you elaborate on that?

I am going to be there for 2 of the 9 days and I'm hearing the Smashing Pumpkins for the first time, so I want to hear them in all their glory.

lolz at the populace and their generalizations about the south in general. Anyone who makes such a broad statement like that has never been to Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville... the list goes on. My point is: Broad generalizations are retarded regardless of the topic, be it cultural or otherwise.

tweedyburd
05-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Maybe I shouldn't have said "geared toward," seeing as how that makes it sound like there's a few tiny speakers there and not much else. It's a fully equipped concert hall, etc, I just don't think the club's sound engineers are used to handling a heavy rock show like this, but considering that SP will obviously have their own crew working on sound I don't think it'll be much of an issue. I just know when I saw Interpol there they sounded really... thin? Also, this is only my opinion. Someone else may have seen other heavy shows there and thought it sounded fine.

Travpumpkin
05-23-2007, 08:53 AM
People on this board make me so sick that is why i rarely ever come here. The childish, snobish, attitutde makes me sick. The igonorance is the worst. If you morons can not understand our point about Asheville then you are in idiot. I live 50 miles south of Asheville in Greenville SC. As much as a lot of you would like to think we are not all redneck hicks that have never seen a decent show. Everyone is right about how cool Asheville is. I have been to MANY Venues all over the country ok......I saw Sonic Youth twice at the Orange Peel, the sound was AMAZING so dont fret, they are one of the loudest bands you will see. It is a top notch venue, I also saw Kings of Leon there. Bob Dylan has also played a special show there. The venue "deserves" this show ok...Im sure they chose it for the reasons listed above. Maybee they are sick of playing oversprawled dirty crime infested citys most of which are in the north. As far as the guy who lived in Pittsburgh he is right about the redneck thing. When i first went up north i was shocked to find rebel flags in Ohio and Illinois and dirty trucks with rednecks i had been taught my whole life that the south was racist and redneck and dirty etc....and the north was some kind of noble classy seperate country. Asheville is amazing also one of The Black Crowes favorite places to play along with many other artists such as Thurston Moore who stated on stage that "they loved Asheville more than just about any other city in the country" So bottom line get your head out of the sand and quit being so arrogant. I was fortunate enough for my friend to score me tix to the last night i will be audio and videotaping the show. This will be a total highlight for me pumpkins career dating back to 94.

Hypocaust
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I also saw Kings of Leon there. Well, there went your credibility.

Travpumpkin
05-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Theres my point proven right there. This elitist, well you went to see the Kings of Leon so you must not know anything about music. Sooooo childish, yeah i am also a huge black crowes fan is that bad too?? Im glad Billy has finally decided to do some things like they do and some other bands such as:
---mix the setlists up each night
---play extended runs at smaller venues
---allow taping (finally)
I was ok with Sonic Youth but not Kings of Leon right? why dont you just give me a list of what artists are ok and which aren't to make it easier for me in the future

Dr B DDS
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Travpumpkin: I doubt the Black Crowes' love of Asheville comes from the venues.... I mean, Asheville has a reputation for weed...

Zucchini_Duke
05-23-2007, 03:12 PM
b0lly is coming to Asheville to visit the Biltmore House...the largest private home in US.

Pheeew
05-23-2007, 03:29 PM
christ, now <i>that</i> sounds exciting as hell.

Zucchini_Duke
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
christ, now <i>that</i> sounds exciting as hell.

it's a big fuckin house. bowling alley in the basement :cheers:

soma09
05-23-2007, 08:41 PM
moog is made in ashville. case closed.