View Full Version : hope for the new album

ChrisChiasson
05-22-2007, 10:42 AM
I think it is good that Tarantula isn't the first track on the disc, unlike TEG. Hopefully, this means the album is strong enough to not need that initial kick in the pants to get it started. Also I like Tarantula better than Cherub Rock and very slightly better than TEG.

Esty
05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
TEG wasn't supposed to be the first single if I remember correctly. Also, just because you like it better than Cherub Rock, is not reason enough for this to be a good album.

SpFission
05-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Also I like Tarantula better than Cherub Rock and very slightly better than TEG.

So you're saying TEG is better than Cherub Rock?

Opinion discarded..

Saylam
05-22-2007, 10:49 AM
I think 'Stand inside your love' was the first track to be released over here in the UK.

I think?

mpp
05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
billy has a hard time choosing first singles, it seems

to me, if i had to do mellon collie it would've been:
1. Zero
2. 1979
3. bullet
4. tonight, tonight

reprise85
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
I would make some changes myself if I had the chance to 'choose' the singles, but all in all I think Billy and Co. have picked pretty good ones consistantly.

enthusaroo
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
The first single for Adore should have been LMGTWTY, and at the very least it should have been on the album. And the second single on Adore should have been Perfect recorded in a more acoustic guitar (e.g: Viper Room, but with awesome production) sort of way. Then the third single should have been Pug. I really think this would have been the difference between commercial success and relative commercial failure.

SIYL should have been the first single for Machina (and not the second single), with Raindrops + Sunshowers or I Of The Mourning as the second single. Machina I didn't really have a lot of strong single-esque songs on it. I loved TEG when I first heard it, mainly because I was excited to hear new Pumpkins material. In retrospect, I had some good times listening to Machina and enjoy hearing it again from time to time, but all together I'd say the now that the album is disappointing.

shadow47
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Have to disagree on the R + S from Machina as a single. I love the song, but it doesn't strike me as radio friendly because of the repetition and length. SIYL is hands down the first single--Try x3 might've been a good second.

p.s. why everyone down on Imploding Voice? I like it more than the Virex style and overall one of the better tracks on Machina (coming from someone whose favorite SP album is MMOG)

garbanzo
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
So you're saying TEG is better than Cherub Rock?

Opinion discarded..

This.

/but i like tarantula, and think the album will be good.

Villarelo
05-22-2007, 11:57 AM
The first single for Adore should have been LMGTWTY, and at the very least it should have been on the album. And the second single on Adore should have been Perfect recorded in a more acoustic guitar (e.g: Viper Room, but with awesome production) sort of way. Then the third single should have been Pug. I really think this would have been the difference between commercial success and relative commercial failure.

SIYL should have been the first single for Machina (and not the second single), with Raindrops + Sunshowers or I Of The Mourning as the second single. Machina I didn't really have a lot of strong single-esque songs on it. I loved TEG when I first heard it, mainly because I was excited to hear new Pumpkins material. In retrospect, I had some good times listening to Machina and enjoy hearing it again from time to time, but all together I'd say the now that the album is disappointing.

please someone offer a job in the music industry to this guy...

SpFission
05-22-2007, 12:20 PM
This.

/but i like tarantula, and think the album will be good.

I like Tarantula too, but to say TEG is better than Cherub Rock is blasphemous.

reprise85
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM

You're right. They picked good singles up until Adore. I think you hit it on with the Adore singles... I don't think anyone can resist LMGTWTY.
I agree with SIYL + I of the Mourning. Not Raindrops though. As much as I don't really like The Imploding Voice, it might have been an ok 3rd single. That, Wound and TEG were the only choices, it seems to me.

BlissedandGone2
05-22-2007, 01:59 PM
TEG wasn't supposed to be the first single if I remember correctly. Also, just because you like it better than Cherub Rock, is not reason enough for this to be a good album.

whats your opinion of tarantula anyway?

Esty
05-22-2007, 02:12 PM
Its generic rock, for a generic rock band.

05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Labels get to pick the singles... That's the deal, the band makes music, the label does promotions, that's why the labels get a huge cut from album sales. The band relies more heavily on concertgoers.