View Full Version : tuning on the new songs?

herzogxyu
04-18-2007, 10:14 PM
this is a question i had been wondering about ever since the announcements (or lack thereof.) and from the brief and cryptic descriptions of what the songs sound like.

do you guys think the songs will be in the (pretty much) standard Eb (e flat) tuning, as on half of adore, most of mcis?
or do you think it might be just standard e tuning like Zwan, which gave it a 'happy' sound? (as well as the fact he tuned up to F# for heartsongs and of a broken heart).
or, as if billy's solo stuff and a lot of the machina stuff, will it be the dropped c tuning? to me this gave the original songs of machina a unique sound and great riffs (teg, hmm) but the way they redid some old ones, while still very good, like bwbw, zero, pug, they did lack dynamic.

personally i hope it's just back to the pumpkins tuning of Eb that gave us so many great songs from the MCIS, TAFH, and Adore eras.

-----COD

czr
04-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Well on all his latest acoustic songs they are all weirdo tunings

monkeyfritters
04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
i heard he's playing fretless guitars so he can use 64 tone scales.

fluxequalsrad
04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
ropped c tuning? to me this gave the original songs of machina a unique sound and great riffs (teg, hmm) but the way they redid some old ones, while still very good, like bwbw, zero, pug, they did lack dynamic.

define.

exactlythesame
04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
this is a question i had been wondering about ever since the announcements (or lack thereof.) and from the brief and cryptic descriptions of what the songs sound like.

do you guys think the songs will be in the (pretty much) standard Eb (e flat) tuning, as on half of adore, most of mcis?
or do you think it might be just standard e tuning like Zwan, which gave it a 'happy' sound? (as well as the fact he tuned up to F# for heartsongs and of a broken heart).
or, as if billy's solo stuff and a lot of the machina stuff, will it be the dropped c tuning? to me this gave the original songs of machina a unique sound and great riffs (teg, hmm) but the way they redid some old ones, while still very good, like bwbw, zero, pug, they did lack dynamic.

personally i hope it's just back to the pumpkins tuning of Eb that gave us so many great songs from the MCIS, TAFH, and Adore eras.

-----COD

I don't know if the standard tuning was what gave it the 'happy sound.' I think it had more to do with the rainbows and Jesus.

Maybe.

It's all about the way songs are written, not the tuning they're written in. Though I do believe Corgan does need to stay away from odd tunings. He does a fairly well job with them in standard. But I do guess after listening to guys like Andy Mckee I'm spoiled in that regard.

wHATcOLOR
04-18-2007, 11:16 PM
i hope he has an ibanez 7 string and paints his face and wears crazy shoes and has a colored goatee and metal spikes on his bracelets!!!

monkeyfritters
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
i hope he has an ibanez 7 string and paints his face and wears crazy shoes and has a colored goatee and metal spikes on his bracelets!!!

and SHOULDER PADS WITH SPIKE AND COLORS. lol !!!

TuralyonW3
04-18-2007, 11:53 PM
C

herzogxyu
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
define.

the machina tour versions were almost completely distorted all the way through and the song was tuned so low and the vox were also so low that it lacked the brightness and some of the dynamics were lost because the songs were played so fast. by dynamics i mean that the original melody was lost in the low tunage.

i was also thinking it would be good if the synths or keyboards that are going to be on the new album will be used tastefully and used as an instrument to fill out the track not guide the track like the heavy usage on adore. the way it was used on machina was pretty much this way, except for the songs that were keyboard centric, like try, ctom, soot + stars, still good songs though. a perfect example of how the keys were used to add element are with every light, glass and the ghost wah wahs. etc.

peace.

IM1SUR3
04-19-2007, 03:42 AM
I like the Eb-tuning most, but probably there will be a mix of different tunings.

Mablak
04-19-2007, 04:01 AM
Z#-tuning for Zeitgeist, make it happen Bill

Den
04-19-2007, 04:04 AM
the machina tour versions were almost completely distorted all the way through and the song was tuned so low and the vox were also so low that it lacked the brightness and some of the dynamics were lost because the songs were played so fast. by dynamics i mean that the original melody was lost in the low tunage.

Yep, I agree. When songs like Zero and I Am One were played with C tuning it sounded real sloppy. The fact that they were played faster than usual didn't help either.

Shroom
04-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Yeah, standard E tuning is not happier sounding than Eb tuning. Usually when things are tuned down a half step it has more to do with the key billy needs to sing it in, otherwise it doesn't make much difference.

Radiofred
04-19-2007, 07:13 AM
CGCGGD

'|' jIMMY '|'
04-19-2007, 10:09 AM
DGC

brendo_91
04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm hoping for Eb Standard, not because I'm hoping for MCIS, but just because I think Billy's voice works best in this register.

czr
04-19-2007, 12:14 PM
next time when i see him ill ask what tuning he plays in

Quiet CD
04-19-2007, 12:32 PM
ABBACAB

(if you know your Sega)

IWishIWasBlank
04-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Genesis rulz.. in more ways than one!

DeadOpera
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM