View Full Version : As opposed to Nursing Homes I suggest shotgun blasts to the head.

Ol' Couch Ass
03-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Seriously.

If I ever get old and decrepit enough for my family to consider putting me in a home I hope they will have the courage and decency to take me out behind the barn and put me down like Ol' Yeller.

I can't tell you have fucking depressing these places are. 90% of my opinions on these places are :erm: and I wouldn't let my fucking dog live at half of them.

I've walked in to see staff members performing CPR on a person that was completely stiff with rigor mortis after claiming "yeah he was fine like 5 minutes ago." Nobody knows what the fuck is going on and can never tell you anything about a patients history or normal mental status. Examples: "Yeah uh, this usually isn't my normal floor so I don't know if this guy shitting himself and not talking is normal or not so he better go to the hospital"..."I just got back from vacation, I'm uh....not sure....uh one second let me get you a facesheet."

It is fucking deplorable. To place a family member in a home which will actually provided "skilled nursing care" is so prohibitively expensive that nobody can afford it. We house our elders in these fucking death camps just waiting for the convenience of a meek death so that we no longer have to feign interest or make awkward visits in the fecal tinged halls of the prisons we have provided for them.

Let's have the fucking courage just to put these people down. I certainly hope that nothing on Netphoria is legally binding. However, I hope I am held to the statement I made. If I ever get super shitty due to age, an accident, or a misadventure take a shotgun and blow my head off. No nursing home for me.

Rarely
03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
I read this thread before. You didn't even change anything, you straight jacked this shit from someone

tcm
03-25-2007, 05:27 PM
"I think by the time I'm 80 I'd want to die"
-Ever

Ol' Couch Ass
03-25-2007, 06:06 PM
^ There is wisdom in those words. We have the technology to keep people alive long after they have outlived their happiness or usefulness.

RenewRevive
03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
i agree with you. it's an unpleasant subject and people avoid having to think/deal with it if at all possible.

pete
03-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Beyond 70 life becomes pointless

smurfing
03-25-2007, 06:14 PM
and what is your opinion on the hospice, roshi?

Ol' Couch Ass
03-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Beyond 70 life becomes pointless

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/men/hugh-hefner/pictures/hugh-hefner-picture-1.jpg

Not so fast. Some people do well into their 80s. I'm talking about people that have debilitating illnesses that make it impossible to care for themselves. We can keep these people alive with massive regimines of medicines, pacemakers, automatic defibrillators and the like... but what is the point. When you can't even take care of your own bowel movements (and nobody is willing to provide compationate care) you should take a final bow and exit stage left.

alisonmonster
03-25-2007, 06:20 PM
my grandmother has been living in a care facility for years because her alzheimers got bad enough that my mom couldn't physically take care of her mom anymore- though my mom still visits grandma 2-3 times a day to help her out. it's been extremally hard on my mom- Alzheimers is a terrifying disease and it frightens me to think my mom has a strong chance of developing the disease and then it will be my responsibility to care for her (3 women in my grandmother's generation have developed the disease- and two of them has also had breast cancer, same as my mom). So my grandma is in the care facility out of necessity.

I do hope that she passes away soon- she's still holding on at 91, but her mind has been fucked for almost 10 years now and its been emotionally hard on my mom to bear the brunt of it. Euthanizing (or shooting her in the head, if we don't get sentimental here) is not somthing i don't think my parents can do.

smurfing
03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
all of this could be avoided if we just cut our calorie consumption by a third and ate a nutritional diet instead of making the dinner meal out of beer pong

ravenguy2000
03-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Alzheimers is where I draw the line with just like.....everything. If I develop it I'll deal as long as I can but once I don't know who I am and who my family is or anything like that I hope I have someone in my life who loves me enough to just wheel me off a cliff.

Ol' Couch Ass
03-26-2007, 03:07 AM
I do hope that she passes away soon- she's still holding on at 91, but her mind has been fucked for almost 10 years now and its been emotionally hard on my mom to bear the brunt of it. Euthanizing (or shooting her in the head, if we don't get sentimental here) is not somthing i don't think my parents can do.

That sucks alison. I imagine it is a small torture to have someone you love get destroyed by this disease. It is good to hear that your mom makes the effort to visit so she can be assured that your grandma is being taken care of. The facilities that tend to be the worst are the ones where family members take no interest so the staff is free to be neglectful and uncaring.

redbull
03-26-2007, 03:09 AM
a nursing home is like the #1 employer of kids around here

alisonmonster
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
That sucks alison. I imagine it is a small torture to have someone you love get destroyed by this disease. It is good to hear that your mom makes the effort to visit so she can be assured that your grandma is being taken care of. The facilities that tend to be the worst are the ones where family members take no interest so the staff is free to be neglectful and uncaring.

oh yeah- plus even if she isn't entirely sure who her family is, i think she gets some comfort in having someone there.

wait for another 10-20 years, when boomers start crowding those places, it's only going to get so much worse.

mpp
03-27-2007, 05:23 PM
It is fucking deplorable. To place a family member in a home which will actually provided "skilled nursing care" is so prohibitively expensive that nobody can afford it.

And it's our fault that people live so long. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's one that will continue indefinitely.

mpp
03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
This thread has forced me to call my grandmother and take her out to lunch. She got her knee replaced recently and she's been in a bad shape since then. She's getting elderly and thinks that no one really cares about her anymore. My grandfather died in 2002, and since then she's just been getting worse and worse.

The problem is that she's not that nice of a person and she watches Fox News quite a bit. It's tough to take her out to lunch because she'll want to pick an argument, but I'm sucking it up and doing it because it's the right thing to do and she'll remember it happily far longer than I'll be steamed.

Thanks OCA.

Ol' Couch Ass
03-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Sorry for your discomfort MPP, but I'm sure the old gal had a grand time :)

MusicMan4
03-27-2007, 07:14 PM
i have a neurological disorder that basically ensures that i'm going to be fucked up beyond belief in old age

which means i have justification for my plan to off myself before 50
not so much for my other plant o do it before 30, but we'll see how i'm doing then

bardy
03-27-2007, 07:21 PM
This thread has forced me to call my grandmother and take her out to lunch. She got her knee replaced recently and she's been in a bad shape since then. She's getting elderly and thinks that no one really cares about her anymore. My grandfather died in 2002, and since then she's just been getting worse and worse.

The problem is that she's not that nice of a person and she watches Fox News quite a bit. It's tough to take her out to lunch because she'll want to pick an argument, but I'm sucking it up and doing it because it's the right thing to do and she'll remember it happily far longer than I'll be steamed.

Thanks OCA.

updates please

RenewRevive
03-27-2007, 08:49 PM
And it's our fault that people live so long. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's one that will continue indefinitely.

damn medical advances, damn them all to hell!