View Full Version : let's look death in the face and say, "whatever, man".

tcm
03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
(LOST thread)

great episode. nwlc.

redbull
03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
SATURDAY NIGHT LOST CLUSTERFUCK

tcm
03-01-2007, 01:14 AM
i'm so there.

topleybird
03-01-2007, 02:12 AM
I would stop well short of calling it "great" but it was entertaining enough. I like the way Sawyer was acting, like he was just deliriously happy to be back among his dudes. And I suppose I like that Hurley now stands in opposition to Desmond's fatalistic views. I wonder if Jumbotron will somehow be the linchpin to getting off the island, the person the Others underestimated. (Or maybe they gave him the role of messenger to encourage his feelings of inadequacy, so he'd never step up.)

Also, the return of "Vincent." The jig is up, "dog." We saw you leave on the boat.

BlissedandGone2
03-01-2007, 02:14 AM
i was just glad it was mostly funny and happy. it got sappy though for a little.

Rider
03-01-2007, 02:17 AM
One of the best episodes. No fucking clifhangers, no dragging out bad plotlines. JUst a nice story that actually developed the characters a bit.

tcm
03-01-2007, 02:30 AM
i'll stop you well short with my hand, topleybird. that's some kind of a threat.

Also, the return of "Vincent." The jig is up, "dog." We saw you leave on the boat.
we did not.

Warsaw
03-01-2007, 02:33 AM
Sorry but there is no way that van would have run after sitting there for any amount of time. Gasoline doesn't have a very long shelf life.

tcm
03-01-2007, 02:36 AM
the island, man, the island.

Warsaw
03-01-2007, 02:43 AM
the island, man, the island.

True. I sometimes forget.

wHATcOLOR
03-01-2007, 03:33 AM
damn. i thought this was going to be a thread about a new kind of boarding or something

Kanan Road
03-01-2007, 03:36 AM
sawyer was full of jokes and one liners tonight. he seemed like he was in a good mood. good episode full of dharma beer. mmm

tcm
03-01-2007, 03:55 AM
damn. i thought this was going to be a thread about a new kind of boarding or something
i didn't want this to happen, didn't want to mislead or entrap. doesn't everyone use the thread title hover preview feature? i tried to accommodate.

wHATcOLOR
03-01-2007, 03:56 AM
often i do, but the prospect of what i was imagining was so exciting that i rushed right in here. i guess that's how it goes sometimes

tcm
03-01-2007, 03:58 AM
c'est la vie and shit.

Irridescent Fairysex
03-01-2007, 03:58 AM
I haven't read too much about this thread because I don't want to spoil this episode, but any thread with tcm, redbull and whatcolore is a good thread so I wanted to take part in it.

topleybird
03-01-2007, 10:39 AM
we did not.

We did, too! Not on the episode as aired, but I believe that's how it's shown on the DVD. I have yet to purchase that particular set.

Either way, that dog is no dog.

And it seems the writers have adopted the Terminator model of Fate. One character claiming "No fate but what we make of it," another believing the future corrects itself. In the movies they knew how the apocalypse would happen, they tried to change it, but it happened anyway (in a slightly different way).

Which is a stupid model. Somehow the fact that Charlie dies is important, but the impact his death would have on his immediate surroundings and surrounding people is not. As long as he dies eventually, Fate is happy.

mistle
03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/amarcussen/Unavngivetskullnigga.png

tcm
03-01-2007, 11:01 AM
you only see Vincent on the boat in some behind-the-scenes/making-of thing. it's not presented as a "deleted scene" (which are generally canonish, i guess). if Vincent's on the boat then there's also a camera crew on the island.

i hear you, though. i believe he is innocent, but your concern is valid.

and i don't see that the writers have adopted one model or the other. if anything i'd say Hurley was more convincing than Desmond. maybe i misunderstood you, i was a dumb kid the last time i saw Terminator.

Geek USA
03-01-2007, 11:03 AM
sun is so hot.

neopryn
03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
mildly entertaining filler

topleybird
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
and i don't see that the writers have adopted one model or the other. if anything i'd say Hurley was more convincing than Desmond. maybe i misunderstood you, i was a dumb kid the last time i saw Terminator.

I guess what I mean is that, if Desmond's current view of the universe is correct, and I don't believe it is, then large moments "matter" somehow to the universe/Fate/whatever, but small moments do not. So, chaos theory, a butterfly flaps its wings in China and there's a hurricane in Florida? Fate does not care. The butterfly can do whatever the fuck it wants until it's time to die, and then Fate cares. It's just a screwy model that doesn't make much sense when you think about it in detail.

Like, Charlie was supposed to get hit by lightning. Had that happened, Claire would be traumatized, she'd have trouble taking care of the baby perhaps, they'd bury Charlie and dirt would be moved... all the atoms on the island, if you will, would be arranged in a certain way, and things would progress with Charlie being dead. Fate does not care about the arrangement of atoms and what consequences result, just that Charlie dies eventually. Like Fate is a person pressing some "smite" button and getting irritated when the victim in question dodges the falling piano.

I think Desmond has been led to believe this model and it isn't true (in the series). If anything I like Hurley's idea (or his dad's idea) better.

topleybird
03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh, and thanks for the Vincent correction. I suppose he might just be an overused plot device to get people to run into the jungle and so on, but I like to think there's something more going on there.

BlissedandGone2
03-01-2007, 12:27 PM
i keep expecting the show to turn really religious and im dreading that. the writers said that if they let the show go for 13 seasons they swear the 13th season will be about zombies.

Geek USA
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
i didn't want this to happen, didn't want to mislead or entrap. doesn't everyone use the thread title hover preview feature? i tried to accommodate.

:blush:

spoiler I gues:

im glad they're finally going to show eyepatch hatch man.

yo soy el mejor
03-01-2007, 01:22 PM
that's a great outlook on life. whatever, man. lol

kristin xp
03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
i agree.

tcm
03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
i'm with you, topleybird. but the course-correcting universe mumbo jumbo can still make for fine storytelling. it's not any screwier than, you know, God or karma or zombies.

spoiler I gues:

im glad they're finally going to show eyepatch hatch man.
finally? it's only been 6 episodes! the writers are getting soft.

avian chaos
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
sun is so hot.
I like how ridiculously long her hair has gotten. I know it's the third season of the show, but how long have they been on the island, exactly? A couple of months? Who's hair grows that fast?

I would hit it.

Geek USA
03-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I like how claire got a haircut.

:rofl:

tcm
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
the island made her hair grow fast, man.

Zerospaced
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Great episode.... the best part about it.... no JACK! It was good seeing them having fun. I hope they try to get the show back to its roots but answer some questions at the same time. What was the story about the sunlight shining on Eko's staff that showed them where to go?!?! WTF

tcm
03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
we saw that. Eko's funeral, Locke says, "i'd like to think you died for a reason; i just hope it's not too long before we find out what the heck it is." he starts pounding the stick into the ground and sees the "lift up your eyes and look north, John 3:05" carved on it.

avian chaos
03-02-2007, 12:49 AM
Oh yeah... I thought I enjoyed that episode more than usual. They should leave Jack out more often. And Juliet. And I could do without Kate, too. And Claire. And those two new bozos, Paulo and Nikki I think? Whatever, they need to just cancel Lost now and make a spinoff about Hurley, Charlie, Jin and Sawyer's island adventures together.

tcm
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
don't forget Roger.

avian chaos
03-02-2007, 12:54 AM
With special guests, Roger and Vincent...!