View Full Version : The Verve, their early stuff

Pretzel Logic
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm digging it. Very spacey/dreamy. Now I'm just waiting for someone to shoot it down.

TuralyonW3
01-30-2007, 02:08 PM
you go down on your own and you die on your own forget the love that you've known.....

dean_r_koontz
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
good stuff pretzel logic, the stuff from the second album that is, i haven't heard any earlier than that.

The Omega Concern
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
The Verve EP...

this was when I had high hopes for this band...then that wanker knocked off that Rolling Stones song and didn't give them credit for it...

bitter sweet symphony, indeed.

GlasgowKiss
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey, verve fans, anybody know if this is true.

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording; but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[1] Though only some of "Bitter Sweet Symphony"'s music and not a single line or phrase of the lyrics were contained in the original, it led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company, which owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled out of court, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

GlasgowKiss
01-30-2007, 06:55 PM
And i mean, that stuff about the rolling stones then licensing his song to be used in commercials against one of ashcrofts fundamental principles, and he had to go to the european court and stuff. Anyone know if thats true?

GlasgowKiss
01-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Anyone know if being raped in the arse by your musical heroes can lead to horrific depression?

GlasgowKiss
01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Ice ice baby sounds a bit like under pressure by queen and bowie. But apparently its not the same because a note is slightly later. Cynics say he ripped them off and changed it enough to avoid a lawsuit ( he didnt have to worry since david bowie and queen arent petty ). Richard Ashcroft didnt record something similar and change a note.

GlasgowKiss
01-30-2007, 07:06 PM
bitter sweet symphony, indeed.

BumbleBeeMouth
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording; but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[1] Though only some of "Bitter Sweet Symphony"'s music and not a single line or phrase of the lyrics were contained in the original, it led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company, which owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled out of court, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

Yeah this is completely true, they didnt get any money from what was their biggest hit, it contributed to the break up of the band which was instigated by http://www.desconcierto.com/fotos/discos/the-verve-urban-hymns.jpg

the guy looking the other way

>>

Fattening Ass
01-31-2007, 12:03 AM
what a good album that is.

dean_r_koontz
01-31-2007, 09:47 AM
i can understand why mccabe left, he was the biggest talent, aschcroft was a decent songwriter and horrible lyricisist at best and a complete asshole at worst and best and worst.

???
01-31-2007, 03:21 PM
suing for copyright infringement is always petty. if you're a successful musician and someone's taken a bit of your song, as long as they credit you for that bit, you should be wise enough to know they're spreading your influence for you and should let them get on with it. if you're an unsuccessful musician and another musician gets successful off a bit of music you wrote, then so long as they credit you for your contribution you should act the same way, because they're still acknowledging your work in the public sphere. its more than likely your own fault if you didn't find success with your own music, so appreciate the recognition. you can't expect to be praised as the only person to ever come up with a lyric or melody or riff until the end of fucking time, that's why people move on and (usually) try to write something else...if you're petty enough to value financial compensation over general creative appreciation, you've sold out, hard.

Mood ring
02-01-2007, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally, The Verve had negotiated a license to use a sample from the Oldham recording; but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used 'too much' of the sample.[1] Though only some of "Bitter Sweet Symphony"'s music and not a single line or phrase of the lyrics were contained in the original, it led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company, which owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled out of court, with copyright of the song reverting to ABKCO and songwriting credits to Jagger and Richards.

Glasgkow,

i had a talk with Bob Cutarella about this and I didn't really know the story beforehand...

im not sure if he knew all the detials other than the basic, "they ripped off the stones and the stones got mad" plot.

Katy Lied
02-03-2007, 05:04 PM
so I've been listening to The Verve EP alot lately and it's decent. A Man called Sun is my favorite on there. Hopefully, A Storm In Heaven will be a little better.

Rarely
02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
gay

ravenguy2000
02-03-2007, 05:17 PM
this is my fav song by them

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8xXBP5qR58"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A8xXBP5qR58" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>