View Full Version : Visa damage waiver on car rentals

pink_ribbon_scars
01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey people. I rented a car from Enterprise this weekend. $50 for a small car from noon on Friday through noon Monday (after taxes!!). Sweet. Anyway, I am planning on paying for it with my Visa card because I called and they have free damage coverage. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard anything bad about using Visa's free coverage instead of paying Enterprise $10-20/day. I'm guessing that if I fuck up the car, Visa will make me jump through more hoops, but I just wanted to hear any real life stories that you have. Thank you.

Ol' Couch Ass
01-18-2007, 04:57 PM
CRASH THIS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

pink_ribbon_scars
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
THAT'S THE PLAN

Ol' Couch Ass
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
While he is a total douche now, Bam Margera did have a pretty great skit on one of the CKY clips where he and Brandon completely fuck up a rental car. They remade the skit with knoxville for Jackass 1 but not nearly as well. In the skit on CKY, they accidentally light it on fire and actually explode the car. It is pretty priceless.

duovamp
01-18-2007, 05:02 PM
CRASH THIS MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've only insured a car through the rental company...

It was a Dodge Neon. That thing was so laughably shitty! I tried to kill it so badly... I'd swerve to the opposite lane just to hit road kill. In the first day alone I probably hit 4 dead animals. There must've been so much blood under that car. I would've loved to be at Enterprise when they got the car back and saw the blood. When I was driving back to the Acura dealership, I was going down hill, so I threw it in neutral and just bounced off of the rev limited the entire time until I pulled in. That thing's transmission must've gone through about 50% of its life in the 4 days or so that I had it.

Aeroplane
01-18-2007, 05:04 PM
go with what's free. if something happens, you have more of a history with your credit card than with enterprise. i've dealt with enterprise a lot, and though they are good in such circumstances, why pay for something you already have for free?

Ol' Couch Ass
01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
My buddy and I had a new Mustang when were in Vegas last month and we did the same sort of things to it. The car was fun to drive but would bottom out way too easily and we took every opportunity to do so. In addition, it was really easy to get the ass end to swing around (especially off road). Good times.

duovamp
01-18-2007, 05:07 PM
That's awesome. I would've loved to beat up a Stang for good measure. RWD would be so much more fun in a parking lot than FWD...

KrazeeStacee
01-18-2007, 05:07 PM
While he is a total douche now, Bam Margera did have a pretty great skit on one of the CKY clips where he and Brandon completely fuck up a rental car. They remade the skit with knoxville for Jackass 1 but not nearly as well. In the skit on CKY, they accidentally light it on fire and actually explode the car. It is pretty priceless.
My friend has all the old CKY stuff and I actually saw that - it was pretty hilarious.

KrazeeStacee
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
That's awesome. I would've loved to beat up a Stang for good measure. RWD would be so much more fun in a parking lot than FWD...
It's not if it's you're own vehicle. :( I hate RWD.

duovamp
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
It's not if it's you're own vehicle. :( I hate RWD.

RWD isn't so fun in the snow, but it handles better all around. My first car was RWD, now I'm driving a FWD vehicle. Luckily, I picked a FWD car that doesn't suffer from the commonalities that go with FWD cars, but my RWD car didn't have as much power. What do you drive?

KrazeeStacee
01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
RWD isn't so fun in the snow, but it handles better all around. My first car was RWD, now I'm driving a FWD vehicle. Luckily, I picked a FWD car that doesn't suffer from the commonalities that go with FWD cars, but my RWD car didn't have as much power. What do you drive?
Don't they have trucks that switch back and forth now or something? I don't know, I'm not too up to date on vehicles, but that would kick ass I think.

I drive a Dodge Dakota pick up - with a pick up there's never really any time that a rear wheel drive is better. I mean, it's fun for peeling around corners and scaring your friends - but other than that I find it to be pretty useless and challenging at times.

Edit: I also drive manual - I accidentally backed into a ditch once because I missed a driveway in Kentucky...my front wheels were on the road and my back ones were in a hole. I ripped up their poor yard. Fun times.

duovamp
01-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Yeah, you've got a lot more power than I had. Little Japanese sports cars from the 80s aren't really that good for peeling around corners (untuned anyway), and it wasn't a manual either. If trucks had their front wheels spinning, when you put weight in the back of them, traction would get kind of goofy. I'd probably prefer an AWD pickup, but that wouldn't be as fun, ha ha.

RWD and a manual, my kind of female driver.

Karl Connor
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM

lol. i thought that was pretty pretty funny on jackass too

johnny: "does this normally happen?"

car rental guys: " . . . "

*johnny takes blow-up doll, runs away laughing

KrazeeStacee
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, you've got a lot more power than I had. Little Japanese sports cars from the 80s aren't really that good for peeling around corners (untuned anyway), and it wasn't a manual either. If trucks had their front wheels spinning, when you put weight in the back of them, traction would get kind of goofy. I'd probably prefer an AWD pickup, but that wouldn't be as fun, ha ha.

RWD and a manual, my kind of female driver.
Yeah 90% of the time I love my truck, I love driving manual (I won't go back if I have a choice), I love having such a light but big vehicle - but goddammit as soon as it even drizzles I'm having a challenge trying to stay put on the road. Plus I live in Chicago and this winter so far it's been nothing but rain, then it all freezes at night - so by the morning I have a nice time trying to get to work without wiggling all over the place.

duovamp
01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
I can see how that'd be a bit of a hassle. You should autox your truck, learn to drift! (Assuming it comes with a limited slip differential) I never tried to drive my old car in the snow, but I'd imagine it would really be rough keeping it straight and on the road, and if it were even bigger... well I'd probably have wrapped it around a telephone pole by now.

Travis Meeks
01-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I know somebody who knows a manager of a nearby Enterprise and he said that the additional insurance is a huge rip off and they try to push it onto people because it's a huge money maker. Just use your credit card or personal car insurance. I get rentals for work all the time and we just use the corporate credit card insurance, no additional.

pink_ribbon_scars
01-19-2007, 10:38 AM
thank you for the info