View Full Version : Final Destination 2

Ghetto_Squirrel
02-01-2003, 02:24 AM
I went to Erie with a bunch of friends, and not having seen anything of the first one, didn't know what to expect.

What I got was the most horrendous excuse of a movie that I have ever had the misfortune of watching. The creators apparently didn't feel like creating a believable plot, so they thought the audience would be content in seeing someone beheaded or impaled every six minutes.

We saw the least believable father-daughter relationship acting ever, heard some dialogue that a horny 11-year old would be capable of pulling off more effectively, were exposed to abundant profanity, drug use, stereotypical vapid teen movie banter, explosions, fire, a log going through someone's head, bare breasts, a car flipping over before exploding, and a storm of fire and flames engulfing a semi which careened down the highway only to splatter someone helplessly trapped in a mangled car.

...And then we entered the fifth minute of the movie.

Junebug
02-01-2003, 02:36 AM
That's what it looked like from the previews, yep. Sorry you had to suffer through it. Remember when Devon Sawa was some hot teen idol? Poor guy.

Ghetto_Squirrel
02-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Junebug
Remember when Devon Sawa was some hot teen idol? Poor guy.

I remember when other people perceived him to be a hot teen idol. There was a photo or something during the course of the movie and he looked bloated and haggard. Time was apparently rather unkind to him.

severin
02-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
..abundant profanity, drug use, stereotypical vapid teen movie banter, explosions, fire, a log going through someone's head, bare breasts, a car flipping over before exploding, and a storm of fire and flames engulfing a semi which careened down the highway only to splatter someone helplessly trapped in a mangled car.this movie is going to get big

INFECTED
02-01-2003, 09:36 AM
why didnt you go see "the recruit"?

avian chaos
02-01-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
exposed to abundant profanity, drug use, stereotypical vapid teen movie banter, explosions, fire, a log going through someone's head, bare breasts, a car flipping over before exploding, and a storm of fire and flames engulfing a semi which careened down the highway only to splatter someone helplessly trapped in a mangled car.

...And then we entered the fifth minute of the movie.

Cool, I'm going to like this movie. Just because it doesn't make sense or is unbelievable doesn't mean it's not good. Some of my favorite movies are my favorite solely because they're retarded. I'm going to see this & Darkness Falls on Sunday afternoon. I hope they're awesome (by awesome of course I mean not).

Ugly
02-01-2003, 04:02 PM
I heard Final Destination 2 has some good-over-the-top gore in it. I'm always down with that. there was a good review of it on AICN.

(there's a review for American Wedding {ie. American Pie 3} in there too)

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14339

<B>FINAL DESTINATION 2</B>

<I>Director David Ellis is one of those guys you might not know... but you should. You know his work. This summer, when you’re sitting wide-eyed in the movie theater, jaw on the floor, trying to process the car chase in THE MATRIX RELOADED, keep in mind that Ellis was the second-unit guy who put that together. He’s an expert stunt director, and a quick glance at what he’s done over the years (the “killing box” sequence in CLEAR & PRESENT DANGER, among others) reveals a guy who is able to coordinate chaos.

Can’t think of a better choice for this film.

FINAL DESTINATION 2 picks up exactly a year after the end of the first film, and thankfully Devon Sawa is already dead. True, I would have taken great delight in watching Mr. Puffy catch a stray brick in the head, but this film’s loss was EXTREME OPS’s gain. Instead, we start with Kimberly, played by the adorable A.J. Cook. She watches some of the anniversary footage of Flight 180, and it freaks her out a bit as she prepares to leave on a road trip with some friends. She’s not prepared for what happens when she actually gets out onto the freeway, though. If you’ve seen the first film, then you remember how the plane crash was handled. There was a massive fake-out, the audience is led to believe something has actually happened, and then we learn it was all just a vision. Kimberly has the same sort of premonition here, and what we see is one of the most harrowing car crashe pile-ups ever staged for a movie. There’s some of it that should make anyone who went to BNAT 4 this year howl in recognition, as it seems to be lifted shot-for-shot from NIGHT WARNING, but this goes so much further and is so incredibly visceral that even if you’re a gore fan, it may shake you.

Oh, yeah... I guess we should address the gore issue right now. If you like gore... if you’re a fan of make-up effects and extreme imagery... then FINAL DESTINATION 2 is a fanboy’s dream come true. If you’re not into graphic up-close fantasy violence, then stay away, because that’s pretty much the reason this film exists. You see, Kimberly manages to evade the car accident thanks to her vision, and she also keeps an entire on-ramp of cars from joining traffic. That means there’s a whole group of people who are lifted out of Death’s design, and Kimberly’s actions set off a chain of events just as deadly as those in the first film, eventually leading her to seek out the help of Clear Rivers (Ali Larter), the only survivor from the original movie. One by one, they each confront their mortality in elaborate sequences designed to fake the audience out as many times as possible before delivering money shots that you won’t believe you saw. I found myself laughing out loud and even applauding twice at the sheer audacity of the film’s big sequences. This is the kind of movie you need to see with a huge crowd because the fun is infectious. You’ll end up cheering right along with your friends at each new atrocity, and you won’t even feel guilty about it afterwards.

This film is an improvement over the original in pretty much every way. Ellis has a much more confident eye as a director than James Wong did, and the script by Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber obviously impressed the studio so much they let the writers direct their own script for THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT. It takes the preposterous premise of the first film and twists it just enough that it makes sense for this sequel to take place. It also plays dirty. No one is safe in this film. They kill characters you don’t think they can possibly kill, and they do it with a certain amount of glee. The result is a film that flies by, that will elicit major responses from the audience, and that delivers exactly what it promises. It’s a winning combination, and it makes me want to go all Joe Bob Briggs for a minute and say something like, “FINAL DESTINATION 2 is this year’s red-meat masterpiece, a boatload of gore that’s executed with real brains... and guts... and eyeballs and severed spines and all sorts of other organs, too.” If that sounds like your sort of movie, then I’ll bet you enjoy this weekend mightily.</I>

Urban_Ideation
02-01-2003, 04:07 PM
I'll still probably go see FD 2. It'll give me something to do and at least I might get a good laugh out of it.

neopryn
02-01-2003, 04:47 PM
The local reviewer went to great length to make sure we knew about the bare breasts. They must be attractive. Other than that, I'm not too intrigued.

sickbadthing
02-01-2003, 04:56 PM
AICN seems to be full of nerds who like anything.

FUCK THEM.

aspecialkid
02-01-2003, 04:59 PM
i knew that movie was gonna suck bad.seems like most movies that come out now are PG-13 and suck ass.

INFECTED
02-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by sickbadthing
AICN seems to be full of nerds who like anything.

FUCK THEM.

they liked the daredevil movie.. there are 2 good reviews there

avian chaos
02-01-2003, 07:47 PM
The Ring was PG-13 & it was pretty good. Visually, anyway. The storyline sucked.

Ugly
02-02-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by aspecialkid
i knew that movie was gonna suck bad.seems like most movies that come out now are PG-13 and suck ass.

Final Destination 2 is an R for sure.

the only flick I remember AICN collectively hating was rollerball.