View Full Version : madd...

redbull
11-21-2006, 01:11 AM
http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_324223626.html

Nov 20, 2006 9:25 pm US/Central
MADD Pushes For Hi-Tech Drunk Driving Devices

Jay Gormley
Reporting

(CBS 11 News/AP) IRVING Irving-based Mothers Against Drunk Driving wants every state to pass a law requiring DWI offenders to install new technology, like alcohol-detecting devices, in their cars.

The organization, along with the U.S. Department of Transportation, is pushing for such devices along with tougher enforcement measures around the country.

North Texan Toby Tylus has a special device in his 2006 Honda Civic. For the past five years Toby has been blowing into a tube to start his car. As a repeat DWI offender it's part of his probation.

The 'interlock device' can detect if a driver has the slightest amount of alcohol... if so, it prevents the car from starting.

"It's helped me, mind set wise. You know, it's there and it really helps you change your whole life," says Toby. "There's not a reason to drink and drive."

MADD's plan *******s working with state officials to require breath-test interlock devices in vehicles for all those who have been convicted of drunken driving — even first offenders.

"Using technology, tougher enforcement, stronger laws and mobilization, the goal of eliminating a primary public health threat that has plagued the United States is within our reach," said Glynn Birch, president of MADD, in a statement prepared for a news conference.

The organization also wants states to implement more sobriety checkpoints. It also wants to establish a panel of safety experts to explore other technology options that would help prevent drunk driving.

"If we can't stop drunks from driving, we'll stop vehicles from driving drunks," Birch said.

Former District Judge Vic Cunningham presided over thousands of drunken driving cases. Cunningham says a law requiring interlock devices would save countless lives. "The interlock device has prevented more DWI's than you can possible imagine. It's a wonderful tool."

Each year, nearly 13,000 people are killed by drunk drivers with a blood alcohol concentration of .08 or above and countless others are injured, according to MADD.

Other organizations joining the campaign ******* the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Distilled Spirits Council and the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Currently, New Mexico is the only state requiring interlock devices for first-time offenders.

civil liberties? queue constitutional law debate

Starla
11-21-2006, 01:41 PM
It's against the law to drink and drive, so why would it infringe upon civil liberties? Driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Nate the Grate
11-21-2006, 01:53 PM
I think it's a pretty brilliant idea.

Nimrod's Son
11-21-2006, 04:00 PM
It's ridiculous. As low as the BAC has to be these days, and considering the incredible costs already involved (I know someone who got a DUI on a BICYCLE for being .002 over the legal limit, and had to pay $9000 in court fees and fines) there's no need to further punish a first offender

MusicMan4
11-21-2006, 04:04 PM
"
The organization also wants states to implement more sobriety checkpoints."

no on this

neopryn
11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
maybe they should do a better job raising their kids

Andrew_Pakula
11-21-2006, 04:16 PM
MADD are a bunch of wackos

Nimrod's Son
11-21-2006, 04:48 PM
MADD are completely off their rockers. It's typical though, a good cause forms and organization, and then that group gets too much power and that's what you get today. MADD wields surprising power in California. They're a huge lobby and a political powerhouse, but they start with the word "Mothers" so there's a false perception that they're all sweet old ladies baking pies.

MusicMan4
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
nobody should take either madd or sadd seriously

college students go to school for the purpose of drinking as much as they can and mothers stay at home all day drinking glass after glass of cheap wine and popping valiums while waiting to prepare a frozen steak for her husband

christian zombie vampires
11-21-2006, 05:50 PM
if you kill someone while drinking and driving in singapore you get excecuted
no one drinks and drives there
the roads are safe, problem solved (seriously)

phaedrus
11-21-2006, 06:24 PM
(I know someone who got a DUI on a BICYCLE for being .002 over the legal limit, and had to pay $9000 in court fees and fines)

lol. wtf did he do? i ride my bike to and from bars fairly frequently, so you can imagine how many times i've been sloshed while riding.

christian zombie vampires
11-21-2006, 06:37 PM
DUI on bicycle is gay to the max, i've never heard of that

drunk biking is the best, it's all the bliss of driving drunk without the paranoia of not knowing if you just ran over a kid... hell drunk driving wouldn't be a big deal at all if the only person you could hurt was yourself

Starla
11-21-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm not for stiff penalties on first time dui. I think a fine and victim impact panel is enough.
One of the states I lived in had a zero tolerance law. If you dui the first time, you go to county for up to 90 days then probation for six months after you get out. Second time you lose your license for a year with up to six months in county. Third, you lose it for good plus up to 2 years in prison. I'm not sure what ca does...but I know the cops in fremont are fucking sadistic on minor offenses.

Nimrod's Son
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
lol. wtf did he do? i ride my bike to and from bars fairly frequently, so you can imagine how many times i've been sloshed while riding.
Oh thanks to MADD, any vehicle carries the same penalties as a car - a bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, horse, etc. That is the power of MADD. If you decide to take a skateboar dto the bar because you know you'll have one too many drinks, they fine you and suspend your licence. Shit, mught as well drive! The only difference in penalty is the impound fee which is about $150.

Mayfuck
11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Drunkards should be commended not penalized for riding a bike instead of getting behind the wheel. I never understood that law.

Corganist
11-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Oh thanks to MADD, any vehicle carries the same penalties as a car - a bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades, horse, etc. That is the power of MADD. If you decide to take a skateboar dto the bar because you know you'll have one too many drinks, they fine you and suspend your licence. Shit, mught as well drive! The only difference in penalty is the impound fee which is about $150.
What's even worse is that you can even get a DUI for sleeping in your car while drunk. You don't even have to be behind the wheel. If you're in the back seat trying to sleep until you're sober enough to drive and you've got the car keys in your pocket, a lot of courts will say that you're in control of the vehicle enough to warrant a DUI charge.

Mayfuck
11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
oh fuck i do that all the time.

i wish the MTA kept the trains running until 3am. the city can do its part to curb drunk driving.

MusicMan4
11-21-2006, 08:15 PM
in philly the trains and subway close at midnight
thats absolutely ridiculous
it means i have to drive downtown or take a cab
i guess theres limitied bus service but theyll be so ridiculously crowded and youd have to take some convoluted route so fuck it

ravenguy2000
11-21-2006, 09:01 PM
nobody should take either madd or sadd seriously

college students go to school for the purpose of drinking as much as they can and mothers stay at home all day drinking glass after glass of cheap wine and popping valiums while waiting to prepare a frozen steak for her husband

wow

MusicMan4
11-21-2006, 09:16 PM
pretty sure thats how it works

Trotskilicious
11-21-2006, 11:06 PM
I think it's a pretty brilliant idea.

Are you even of drinking age?

Nimrod's Son
11-21-2006, 11:13 PM
if not i'm sure smitty and sully and sully can buoy up a sixah a millah lites

alisonmonster
11-22-2006, 02:48 AM
they should just go the extra mile and put them in every car in production in order to insure drinking and driving to be wiped out entirely, so we all can be potential criminals.

They used to ticket the shit out of cars left in bar parking lots overnight in my home town and for a few summers have the cops trolling the bars for potential minors (even though legally the servers have to check for ID anyway). Even a few bars during peak tourist season installed a drink minimum, i guess they got sick of young patrons only ordering coffee. Totally fucked up mixed messages in my town.

Toast
11-24-2006, 01:56 AM
I don't see a problem with this. You're getting what you deserve you drunken asshole.

MADD sucks though.

TuralyonW3
11-24-2006, 02:56 AM
what a dumb fucking idea. what if you have an emergency or something, are slightly buzzed, and need to drive?

gurr8
11-24-2006, 07:55 PM
MADD are completely insane and bad for the country.

Here in Ontario the law says you lose your license (one or two years, can't remember off the top of my head) and when you do get your license back then your car has to have the interlock device. It doesn't strike me as a severe punishment, but I do think the whole drinking and driving issue is a little bit out of control.

Nate the Grate
11-25-2006, 03:17 AM

I'm not sure why this matters. I don't think habitual offenders of the DUI law should be able to drive, period.

edit: I guess the first offenders thing is a little much, but still.

Nimrod's Son
11-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure why this matters. I don't think habitual offenders of the DUI law should be able to drive, period.

edit: I guess the first offenders thing is a little much, but still.
IRRELEVANT! *makes strong statement*

oh, wait, *backtracks on strong statement* *but strong statement still pretty much applies*

I just summed up 90% of his politics posts for you everyone

Nate the Grate
11-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I just summed up 90% of his politics posts for you everyone

shut up you loser. at least I'm not enough of a jackass to not admit when I'm wrong. you're one of those assholes who always thinks they're right. nobody likes people like you, ya know.

Nimrod's Son
11-25-2006, 06:22 PM
lots of people like me

actually most people either love me or hate me which is fine by me

Karl Connor
11-25-2006, 06:42 PM
this shit is too orwellian to happen anytime this century

Despite
11-30-2006, 08:35 PM
I think it's a good idea to put this device in the cars of convicted drink-drivers, but this shit about breaking the law and being fined for cycling is so stupid.