View Full Version : Prediction: How many albums will the reformed SP produce?

Katy Lied
10-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I believe this is a legitimate topic for discussion that I don't remember showing up before in a past thread. If I'm wrong just shoot me. I predict that they will only have one album (if that!) because this one will wind up being a dud and the money hungry b0lly will just give up his musical pursuits and go in hiding. Jimmy would probably continue with the Complex and slip away into addiction as James laughs and laughs and laughs. D'arcy is oblivious to what's going on even now so no one cares about her.

Anyway I just see this as a one album project. What are the statistics anyway on a reunited band's number of albums?

TuralyonW3
10-23-2006, 06:15 PM
There will be a series of "reunited" incarnations that will release one album and break up and then do it all again, SP2, SP3, SP4, and so forth, until jimmy is 60 and can't rock anymore

Channah
10-23-2006, 06:15 PM
It's difficult to imagine this album being a big commercial success, but then neither of them are going to get more commercial success anywhere else, so maybe they'll stick with it anyway. I'll say 2.

Katy Lied
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
There will be a series of "reunited" incarnations that will release one album and break up and then do it all again, SP2, SP3, SP4, and so forth, until jimmy is 60 and can't rock anymore
and we'll all still be on netphoria

Katy Lied
10-23-2006, 06:19 PM
It's difficult to imagine this album being a big commercial success, but then neither of them are going to get more commercial success anywhere else, so maybe they'll stick with it anyway. I'll say 2.
Could you imagine if SP actually gained the commerical status they once had? A few hit singles on every rock radio station, a daily MTV circulation, late night talk shows, award shows, merchandise? If ANY of that happens then I'll die happy, but chances are it won't and i'll die a miserable Pearl Jam fan.

pete
10-23-2006, 06:27 PM
2, after which no major label will wish to sign them and so they will crawl to James Iha begging to be on Scratchie records.

Quiet CD
10-23-2006, 06:28 PM
considering how crappy music is on rock radio stations and mtv, i would really be disappointed if they made music that fell in line with that shit... if the music is genuinely good and unique it will be successful through non mainstream channels.

redbull
10-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Phoenix Down
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
i don't think billy is naive enough to actually believe they will gain the commercial status they once had.
What reasons are there for another breakup? Internal problems? No way, he's best friends with jimmy and everybody else is replacable. Bad Sales? that's relative....they'll always find a decent record label and if not they just release via internet.
I don't think this reunion is primarily about the money....i think it's just the easiest way for billy to justify playing the old songs again and getting more public attention and be respected again.
also i don't think they're gonna do this full throttle....they might release an album, tour for a while and then go back to their other projects like the complex or billy writing movie scores or whatever...and when they feel like it they get back together and record new stuff.
it would certainly surprise me if billy would get back to his massive output of the earlier days.

wHATcOLOR
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
i agree with 1

Phoenix Down
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
we all know that one album would not be enough. unless billy wants to make a fool of himself (again) he has to keep the pumpkins alive for at least 2 albums.

Mablak
10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Probably continual albums until Billy gets really old, he's a workoholic and can't live without making music, and since he wants to be able to play his sickening repertoire of songs he'll stick with the pumpkins :erm:

alisonmonster
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
1 album and a tonne of unreleased stuff that'll slowly leak for a few years while they decide what to do next

Banana
10-23-2006, 07:55 PM
I could see 2 albums happening.

wolfo147
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Two albums. If he had only wanted to make one album of pumpkin-esque music he wouldn't have gone through all this trouble to do so, he just would have made an album and put it out as a solo album even though Jimmy was playing drums on every track.

Then again, who knows, the guy's crazy.

fluxequalsrad
10-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Could you imagine if SP actually gained the commerical status they once had? A few hit singles on every rock radio station, a daily MTV circulation, late night talk shows, award shows, merchandise? If ANY of that happens then I'll die happy, but chances are it won't and i'll die a miserable Pearl Jam fan.

Pearl Jam is balls

WEEEEEEELLLLL ... WELL ITS THE BIG SHOW

^^
thats what eddie vedder sounds like

Liffey
10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I think five albums. I think the breakup marked the halfway point in the total career, so they have five more to go.

Katy Lied
10-23-2006, 11:34 PM
5 albums is a lofty amount. think the b0llster's still got it in him?

Pheeew
10-23-2006, 11:55 PM
2 or 3 studio albums with another b-side/unreleased comp... a live DVD. Greatest Hits Vol 2... and finally the quintessential smashing pumpkins box set in which we will finally get the adore version of LMGTWTY

Sigma
10-24-2006, 01:51 AM
I think they'll continue to make albums sporadically and do other stuff in between. Basically release a pumpkins album every time they have enough good matterial together.

Ever
10-24-2006, 02:18 AM
Five more albums guys, five more.

Garlic Wolf
10-24-2006, 02:47 AM
It's hard to say. If the new album is something that is genuinely good and rocks then I can see the Pumpkins putting out another 5 albums. If it's something like TFE the 2nd coming then two albums at the most. I just want to see rock music from Billy again, something that will rock me and the entire crowd. At the TFE concert in Philly there was no great reason to move around or rock out.

If the new Smashing Pumpkins have an album that rocks then I can see more albums down the road. My least hope is for a decent rock album. My greatest hope is for a rock album that blows me away.

kingy
10-24-2006, 03:26 AM
I think 2 sounds like a reasonable estimate atm. We haven't actually heard anything yet, for all we know it could be every bit as good as their previous work, it could be better it could be worse, who knows? I think all we can do is wait and see. I also think provided whoevers in the band don't have a falling out then they could continue to release albums sporadically over the next decade or so, as some people here have alluded to. Its far too early to tell at this point anyway.

Although I actually think its pretty safe to say we'll see more than 1 album though, Billy has too much pride for the reunion to go down the toilet after just 1 album. He'll keep it together atleast for a second. You could argue that the Pumpkins were heading towards a break up ever since Jimmy was originally kicked out, and yet they still produced good music for another few years before they actually broke up, Billy can keep it together methinks. I mean even look at Untitled, while not exactly their best song ever it was still a great little song, if the new SP is at that quality I will be completely satisfied and they should last atleast a couple of albums.

Hammerite
10-24-2006, 04:10 AM
i think theres a possibility that the first album will be more of a thing to try and get james in (if he's not in already) and if james DOES join, they'll make more and if he doesnt: then they'll split again.

kingy
10-24-2006, 07:43 AM
I think your overestimating Billy's need for James to be in. The Smashing Pumpkins is more of a lifestyle for Billy that extends beyond just the members of the band. Its more a style of music and songs written in the past that he wants to come back to and continue the legacy of. Well something like that anyway is what I gather from the things he's said both in the advertisement announcing the reunion and since then.

I'm sure he would like James to be a part of the reunion but I don't think he sees James as the make or break of this reunion. After all hes probably in the studio at the moment with just Jimmy and possibly some other session musicianists they've brought in (Eric Avery), realistically James is in all likelihood NOT in the studio with Bill and Jimmy but that doesn't mean he could decide to join them at a later stage of recording or on tour.

pineapple*soul
10-24-2006, 08:23 AM
He could join, but i don't think James is the kind of guy who wants to be seen jumping on bandwagons

Cool As Ice Cream
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
2 x 5 = 10

The New
10-24-2006, 09:18 AM
1 album and a tonne of unreleased stuff that'll slowly leak for a few years while they decide what to do next

I'm expecting something along these lines, although i don't think they would put out that much unreleased stuff

slunksoma
10-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I think he'l release under the pumpkins name forever. I agrre with the earlier post that he doesnt need any of the other members (in his eyes at least) and he will just put out under that name, Jimmy will stick around cos he's got nowhere else to go, like a stray pup feeding off the Corgan scraps.
I love Jimmy though.

pineapple*soul
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
jimmy's the best musician the pumpkins ever had (including Garson)
he could do whatever he wants, the fact that he wants to do pumpkins says good things to me
asshole

boynameddarcy
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
The only people buying pumpkin albums are the people who became obsessed before Adore...I didn't see a surge of new fans afterwards. So as long as the old fans continue to like the pumpkins...then they can keep making music.

brendo_91
10-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Eric Avery

Out.

Cool As Ice Cream
10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
jimmy's the best musician the pumpkins ever had (including Garson)
he could do whatever he wants, the fact that he wants to do pumpkins says good things to me
asshole
asshole?

pete
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM
You wouldn't be able to watch somebody die, feel partly responsible, and still want to be with the same people and be part of the same band. That takes real guts.

People under-estimate the effect of Jon Melvoin's death must have had on Jimmy.

You dont have the right to slag Jimmy off ever.

tcm
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
guts or sociopathy.

The New
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm not a sociopath...there's nothing wrong with me! - JC

Anvil Hands
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I think they are good for 2-3 albums in the next say six years.

Music sucks so bad these days that if they do make a good album and have a good video or two then it will be successfull enough.

Corgan just has to continue keeping his mouth closed like he is now , because most people i know who hate the Pumpkins hate Billy for the way he has talked in interviews and things like that.

HorseflyKing
10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
No one has said 0 albums yet...