View Full Version : are your parents computer dumb?

Irridescent Fairysex
10-19-2006, 01:54 PM
not my dad, but my mom she is computer dumb though, it makes me so mad cause she cant do anything. she couldnt figure out how to download a file from an email and open it and she only does it like a million times a day.

Geek USA
10-19-2006, 01:55 PM
my dad is pretty bad at it, but he's never on it. my mom doesn't touch the things.

they're like 60 though

alisonmonster
10-19-2006, 01:57 PM
my parents have absolutely no clue and no matter what i say to convince them otherwise, they just don't like computers. Or any technology for that matter (ie they don't own a microwave and bought their first vcr in 1998). My dad's almost 70, i think he thinks he's too old for that stuff.

avian chaos
10-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Geo, are your parents really 60 or were you just exaggerating?

My mother-in-law is incredibly computer illiterate. When we were on our honeymoon we went to Disneyland and on the new Buzz Lightyear ride it takes your picture and you can email it to whomever you'd like. We thought it would be fun to send it to her, so we did, and we called to make sure she got them (We rode it two or three times...). Not only did we have to walk her through how to open the file, but her inbox filed it under her junk mail, and when we got home the files had been deleted because she never moved them to her inbox. :(

Irridescent Fairysex
10-19-2006, 01:58 PM
ha thats wild

Geek USA
10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
my mom is gonna be 60 she had me when she was 39. my pops is a year younger :cool:

avian chaos
10-19-2006, 02:02 PM
^ Dang girl, that's crazy! I hope I don't have kids that late, simply because I'd hate for them to grow up and post on Netphoria about how technologically retarded I am :(

Tchocky
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
My dad is kinda computer-saavy, but my mom is totally naive. She's so worried about the EEEEEEEVIIIIILLSSS of the internet that she won't let my brother in elementary school participate in online quizzes and the like given by his school because she's not there to regulate it. My parents, needless to say, don't have internet at their house and have no plans on getting it...too afraid of the HOOOOROOOORRRRSSS!

alisonmonster
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
my mom had my little sister at 46 :( (she wasent supposed to be able to have kids-oops)

Geek USA
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
^ that's insane!

avian chaos
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I wonder what kind of technology we'll be fumbling around with when we're old... Or if we'll be fumbling at all for that matter.

avian chaos
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
my mom had my little sister at 46 :( (she wasent supposed to be able to have kids-oops)
I had a teacher that was 50-something and had a little boy. :erm:

TuralyonW3
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
my dad's on every day almost and he still doesn't understand basic windows principals

alisonmonster
10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
^ that's insane!

yeah - she was pretty surprised when she got pregnant (my dad was 50 at the time). I think my sister had like a 50% chance of being born handicapped mentally or physically (she wasent)

Tchocky
10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
my dad's on every day almost and he still doesn't understand basic windows principals

StrongBad much?

Probably too much computer and not enough typewriter for him. :banging:

waltermcphilp
10-19-2006, 02:09 PM
my dad is 62 and he works with computers practically everday. he knows the basic stuff but every now and then i have to help him, like when the wireless internet goes down and he cant do any work.

Geek USA
10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
yeah - she was pretty surprised when she got pregnant (my dad was 50 at the time). I think my sister had like a 50% chance of being born handicapped mentally or physically (she wasent)

this is what everyone said about me. :mrpimp:

:beatup:

Dead
10-19-2006, 02:40 PM
It took me 15 minutes on the phone to walk my mom through copying and pasting a file with windows explorer. But the thing is when you aren't there helping them they become much smarter at figuring things out. But as soon as you're there to help they turn braindead. It's like this with anyone I try to help. :think:

teh b0lly!!1
10-19-2006, 03:17 PM
hey, dead's back everybody

Trixter
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
My Mom had me at 42 and I'm only sixteen that means when I have kids she'll be 70

Orenthal James
10-19-2006, 04:45 PM
My Mom had me at 42 and I'm only sixteen that means when I have kids she'll be 70
that's ncie and everything but how is she with computers?

Mo
10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Both my parents know how to handle a computer. My dad is really good about it, and my mommy knows everything she needs in everyday use as well. Only sometimes she will call me and ask to change this or that setting (or how to remove that stupid Word paperclip :erm).

Mo
10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Both my parents know how to handle a computer. My dad is really good about it, and my mommy knows everything she needs in everyday use as well. Only sometimes she will call me and ask to change this or that setting [or how to remove that stupid Word paperclip :erm:].

Dead
10-19-2006, 05:54 PM
My Mom had me at 42
You are a beautiful miracle :love:

Xteenmachine
10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
deaddy is your daddy

ohnoitsbonnie
10-19-2006, 06:46 PM
that's ncie and everything but how is she with computers?
She doesn't even go near the thing.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
10-20-2006, 01:11 AM
My mom isn't so bad. She calls occasionally for help, but in general she gets by fine. Her keyboard is disgustingly filthy from chip grease and fluff from her knitting, but she's not completely retarded with technology; she uses Firefox instead of IE, but she keeps erasing her toolbars in Windows Explorer and calling me for help.

My dad is an idiot. He writes me emails in caps locks and makes me cringe.

My grandmother is cringe worthy (but I'm proud of her for trying). She made me drive with her all over southern BC last summer trying to find some weird adaptor for her digital camera that doesn't exist, she wouldn't let me into her house to look at her computer. Finally after 6 hours of driving, she lets me in and it turned out that despite her computer being ancient, it had some perfectly good USB ports on the back of the tower, and we completely wasted a day. :(

murgle
10-20-2006, 01:52 AM
My mom can usually get done what she needs to. She's a lawyer, so she usually only uses MS Word and stuff. She also bought me a book on Amazon with no help :)

My dad, however.. said the famous words, "Make the letters big again!" (caps loc) To his credit, though that was years and years ago when we first got a computer. He's a little better now, but he'll do something 1,000 times (like saving a picture or downloading an attachment from e-mail) and then on the 1,001 time, he'll forget what he's doing and call me for help. heh. I'm soooo glad I don't live there anymore. He'd knock on my door at 3am, "Kate! How do I get this to do this? Why am I not on the internet?" "...because you're carrying the laptop around the house and you don't have wireless?"

brendo_91
10-20-2006, 02:44 AM
My dad was 69 when I was born.

Neither parent ever picked up the whole 'technology' thing.

I once walked my mum through starting up my VNC server on my laptop, over the phone.

Somehow she managed to press one of the crazy side buttons instead of the left mouse button and it didn't launch. In hindsight I should've gotten her to press the one trackpad button (this was my iBook).

D.
10-20-2006, 02:56 AM
my parents are like, 51 and my dad can manage and my mom would have no clue what to do.

but they don't have the internet, although my dad checks email at the library (mainly to hear from my brother in iraq).

Ever
10-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Wow I used to think my mom was computer stupid but after hearing some of these things then, I guess I reconsidered. My dad's good though, like, he's been working with computers since before I was born,

avian chaos
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
"That's nothing you guys, my mom can't even use her teleportation machine! I had to teleport all the way over there to show her how to use it."
hahah, no kidding. "Sure, she can use a computer great, but does she have to call me everytime she accidentally erases her robot maid's programming. JEEZ!"