View Full Version : oh, what a saint he must be...

Johnny Zoloft
10-17-2006, 01:38 AM
ugh.

i think it's pretty naive to say that corgan is motivated solely by artistic expression, with no regard to how much fucking money he's gonna make when a hundred thousand idiots run out and buy his new album, or see a smashing pumpkins show. Billy Corgan thinks about marketability, undoubtedly. and he's relying on you, angsty teenagers/nostalgic twenty-somethings, to put another pool in his backyard. this new record deserves about as much buzz as a new Poison cd.

tcm
10-17-2006, 01:40 AM
UGH!!!!!! OHMGHGYUGH!!!!!!! whew.

Johnny Zoloft
10-17-2006, 01:47 AM
i mean, that's not to say that i'm not one of those who's gonna buy that shit....

i'm just trying to say that, no, he's probably motivated by money to a degree, and to get up in arms about how he's putting out another album out of the goodness of his heart is just crap.

benjamin619
10-17-2006, 02:09 AM
If money were his prime motivation, and I know you aren't suggesting it is, Smashing Pumpkins would appear on far more television, commercial and movie spots. Not too mention Now! Compilations and film soundtracks. To help gauge Smashing Pumpkins financial interests, compare the choices made during their last active year with the choices the Pixies (a band admittedly re-united for profit) made during their last active year.

Sure, money plays an important factor - it plays an important factor in any business undertaking, but compared to other popular musicians today - I think it's safe to say that Smashing Pumpkins have placed less emphasis on money. That, or they've decided the highest profits come from being really fucking weird, like the SIYL video. What the hell was that, anyway?

tcm
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
it's pretty naive to think he's motivated by money more than ego. ego is not going to feed the children, and Corgan knows this. he doesn't care about the money and the children. that's something to get up in arms about.

benjamin619
10-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Say, does anyone know SP's royalty breakdown by member? As in, what percentage of each play goes to each member? Some band's divide royalties equally, others give 90% to the frontman and split the rest equal.

firewoman
10-17-2006, 02:21 AM
I think Billy gets more, a percentage as a performer in the album, a percentage for songs co-composed, and of course full composer's fee for all his solo compositions. That's per cd sold.

Phoenix Down
10-17-2006, 02:57 AM
firewoman is right, for those very reasons billy gets more

Johnny Zoloft
10-17-2006, 03:45 AM
If money were his prime motivation, and I know you aren't suggesting it is, Smashing Pumpkins would appear on far more television, commercial and movie spots.

maybe no one wants them for tv spots, etc. they weren't that huge to begin with...

pineapple*soul
10-17-2006, 03:55 AM
the adore tour = charity goodness

benjamin619
10-17-2006, 04:02 AM
maybe no one wants them for tv spots, etc. they weren't that huge to begin with...

That's just speculation. Factually, Corgan has mentioned declining opportunities to sell his songs; I think he recently refused allowing 1979 on the Clerks II soundtrack. You have to agree that he could have made far more money commercially, had he cared.

The Melty Man
10-17-2006, 04:22 AM
How many swimming pools does he need? When he can afford to blow cash on taking out full-page ads in major newspapers, you've got to wonder how making more money could be a priority for him.

Bleakest Harves
10-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Surely after selling upwards of 20million records pretty much means you'll have more than enough money to last you a lifetime? Particularly if you got the majority of the royalties because you're the guitarist, singer and wrote 99% of the songs?

cork_soaker
10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
ah
so

pineapple*soul
10-17-2006, 08:45 AM
...yeah...

smashingjj
10-17-2006, 09:15 AM
huh.

aurel
10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
The question is, how many threads are more shit than this, and the answer is none. None more shit.

Effloresce
10-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Huh? Billy Corgan is no doubt a mainstream artist, he needs to make his money like they all do. It's just that he was very good at selling out but also staying true to the music back in SP's prime. And I'd argue he even did just as good of a job with the Zwan live show and to an extent, TheFutureEmbrace. It's like he said in an interview, there were tons of indie bands who were afraid to make it big because they weren't confident enough. The Pumpkins started out as a band like that, but had the confidence to get some serious recognition but also stay true to what they wanted at the end of the day.

Advertising the likely return the Pumpkins ad right after TFE's release was smart, and it generated hype.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Billy doesn't have any business sense in him and only strictly a creative, artistic state of mind. That's just silly. I admire the fact that he's been able to pull off being both so very well, but yes, this Pumpkins reunion is gonna line his pockets with gold.

Anvil Hands
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Of course billy wants to make money who doesn't ?

but you can't say the guy is greedy or anything, he gave out Machina 2 for free and that was more than a whole albums worth of stuff not to mention all the demos and things floating around.

And Yes there was also the charity tour.

Money has to be generated to some extent so he can keep doing what he wants to do. nobody is going to sponsor a tour or put out your albums if you aint going to make them some cash.

The world sucks but hey what can you do.

douglas78
10-17-2006, 10:36 AM

he denied some commercial or company the use of tonight, tonight and today i thought. :o

douglas78
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
billy has integrity and only allows a little bit of himself to be whored out

Reyngel
10-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Everyone, Billy i ncluded, is drawn to making money. But you certainly can't say it's definitely a motivating factor with regards to the new SP. Seriously, he has so much more money than most of us give him credit for.

Think about the following:

-He's sold tens of millions of records
-He's cashed checks from thousands of concerts
-He still gets royalty checks
-He had a NYT best-selling book
-He donated all U.S. leg Adore tour money to charity
-He paid for a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune
-He financially supported Matt Sweeney all throughout Zwan
-He sold his painted lady Victorian home for way more than he originaly paid
-He bought a new home for over $2 million
-Other than his Ferrari, the nicest car he's owned is an Infiniti
-He charges about half the ticket price for his shows when compared to other popular artists

With all of those things considered, and many more, and it's clear that he hasn't wasted all his money on some bad tip at the horse track or something. He's set for life, and then some.

Cool As Ice Cream
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
-He charges about half the ticket price for his shows when compared to other popular artists
Not when he was on solo tour he didn't! Friggin' expensive ticket. And now that I think of it, the final tour show I saw back in 2000 was almost as expensive.

Reyngel
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Not when he was on solo tour he didn't! Friggin' expensive ticket. And now that I think of it, the final tour show I saw back in 2000 was almost as expensive.

Compared to other tickets, it's pretty decent. With TM charges and such, it gets up there, but he has no control over those things.

Quiet CD
10-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Compared to other tickets, it's pretty decent. With TM charges and such, it gets up there, but he has no control over those things.

Many artists go through alternative ticketing agencies in addition to Ticketmaster, so fans who are buying tickets first don't have to pay an extra heap of cash for no reason.

The BC solo show was the most expensive show I saw at the Fillmore, should have gone to see Sufjan at the GAMH instead.

benjamin619
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
should have gone to see Sufjan at the GAMH instead.

yeah but did he have an electric wall?

DeviousJ
10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
If money were his prime motivation, and I know you aren't suggesting it is, Smashing Pumpkins would appear on far more television, commercial and movie spots. Not too mention Now! Compilations and film soundtracks.

Bitch please. I've seen people canoeing to Mayonaise on some travel show, heard people talking about their sad pet stories to MCIS - and Sabrina the Goddamn Teenage Witch for christ's sake. There is no artistic integrity involved with this shit, movies sure but not 'Puffin was such a nice dog he waited for me to come home every day *plinky plink*'

To help gauge Smashing Pumpkins financial interests, compare the choices made during their last active year with the choices the Pixies (a band admittedly re-united for profit) made during their last active year.

You could just as easily have said this before the Pixies reunited, and said 'well look what they did during their last active year, surely they won't reunite purely to make a profit from it'. But they DID, bj.

I think the upcoming pumpkins tour will be like the Joker's street party from the first Batman movie, except instead of throwing out wads of cash Billy will be sucking it from the audience

wHATcOLOR
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DeviousJ again.

fuck!!!

Fathoms (unadored)
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the upcoming pumpkins tour will be like the Joker's street party from the first Batman movie, except instead of throwing out wads of cash Billy will be sucking it from the audience

I won't have a single unhappy moment all day now!

davin
10-17-2006, 04:29 PM
he denied some commercial or company the use of tonight, tonight and today i thought. :o

billy has integrity and only allows a little bit of himself to be whored out

here is the article, so everyone can be reminded of his "integrity" and views on "selling out".

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4971815/site/newsweek/

Lord Lemons
10-17-2006, 04:41 PM
ugh.

i think it's pretty naive to say that corgan is motivated solely by artistic expression, with no regard to how much fucking money he's gonna make when a hundred thousand idiots run out and buy his new album, or see a smashing pumpkins show. Billy Corgan thinks about marketability, undoubtedly. and he's relying on you, angsty teenagers/nostalgic twenty-somethings, to put another pool in his backyard. this new record deserves about as much buzz as a new Poison cd.
If billy really did it for the money, he'd be churning out Siamese dream 2, 3 4 ...

killtrocity
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
ITS ALL ABOUT THE EGO!!!

wpc33
10-18-2006, 01:20 AM
I can disagree with everything but my uproarous laughter

davin
10-18-2006, 02:38 AM
if you gotta go, go with a smile...

Corganist
10-18-2006, 03:30 AM
:rofl:

This deserved to be quoted again. I hope you're not correct, but the image you describe strangely strikes up a feeling of plausibility.

plastic ninja
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Everyone, Billy i ncluded, is drawn to making money. But you certainly can't say it's definitely a motivating factor with regards to the new SP. Seriously, he has so much more money than most of us give him credit for.

Think about the following:

-He's sold tens of millions of records
-He's cashed checks from thousands of concerts
-He still gets royalty checks
-He had a NYT best-selling book
-He donated all U.S. leg Adore tour money to charity
-He paid for a full page ad in the Chicago Tribune
-He financially supported Matt Sweeney all throughout Zwan
-He sold his painted lady Victorian home for way more than he originaly paid
-He bought a new home for over $2 million
-Other than his Ferrari, the nicest car he's owned is an Infiniti

With all of those things considered, and many more, and it's clear that he hasn't wasted all his money on some bad tip at the horse track or something. He's set for life, and then some.

Hooray for mentioning he financially helped Sweeney.

He has owned other luxury cars over the years. He had a Jag at his solo show and let's not forget the sporty Benz on EBay. Both better than an Infinity IMO.

Reyngel
10-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Hooray for mentioning he financially helped Sweeney.

He has owned other luxury cars over the years. He had a Jag at his solo show and let's not forget the sporty Benz on EBay. Both better than an Infinity IMO.

The Jag was about as much as the Infinity. I didn' t know about the Benz on Ebay. But even if so, the point is he sold it on Ebay, so now he has money from it.

j u n e
10-21-2006, 12:50 PM
psssh, billy knows people are just going to download the new album..

and i think if money were the sole/primary objective, TFE wouldnt have come out.. :beatup:

he has a norshore mansion and several cars if he gets desperate after all.