View Full Version : Boner, Trotsky, Eulogy and the Netphoria COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 25

Boner
10-15-2006, 11:50 AM
My top 25 to follow.

Here's Trotsky's. If we get 5 or more Top 25s submitted, I will take time out of my busy Football watching schedule to calculate the official NP Top 25.

TROTSKY TOP 25:

TROTSKY'S TOP TWENTY-FIVE!
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan - oh boy the season ender is gonna be a doozy
3. Texas - Oh you think maybe it should be...no, you're wrong.
4. USC - I cannot in good conscience pick USC at 3 after being unable to hang at least 41 points on AZ State like Texas could. Margin of victory does matter in my vote, especially when picking top 5.
5. Auburn - I would like to put Florida at 5 but I have a hard time justifying a higher ranking than the team that beat them. Besides, I only dropped Auburn down to 9 last week because the SEC is a gauntlet.
6. Florida
7. West Virginia - Play somebody good already, god. I really hate ranking them in the top five when I have no idea if they can actually play with people this year. They beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl last year, but basing current performance on last years performance is how a team like Georgia ended up in the top ten in the first place.
8. Tennessee
9. California - See? Tennessee beat Cal at the beginning of the year and they're just behind the Vols.
10. Clemson - ACC champs.
11. Louisville - nice near miss against Cincy. I still think they're good, they just had some problems Saturday.
12. LSU - Better than Georgia, by a large margin.
13. Notre Dame - If you remember (and you probably don't) Notre Dame moved up to 10 last week. I can't justify any kind of top 10 position by ND when they don't play anyone worth playing until they go to Los Angeles
14. Georgia Tech - Weird how many schools that played each other are next to each other on my vote.
15. Oklahoma - Either them or Boise State and Oklahoma would beat Boise State. I don't know why they're so much lower on the AP poll, it's not fair really since Oregon was exposed by California.
16. Arkansas - EDIT: I can't believe I forgot to put these guys in.
17. Boise State
18. Oregon - Ranked below OU because they did win that game with help from the zebras.
19. Wisconsin - With the Iowa loss to Indiana, definitely the third best team in the Big 10.
20. Missouri - Still a good team, I'm interested in seeing how they'll play Nebraska. I think Mizzou can win the game. I know they lost to A&M but at the same time they were playing at Kyle Field.
21. Iowa - Geez guys, don't join the VT, FSU, Miami and UGA club as teams that were highly ranked at the beginning of the year and have since been exposed as totally overrated.
22. Nebraska - Still underwhelming. Sadly, if they beat Mizzou it won't push them up any further.
23. Rutgers - I really actually hate putting them in the poll. I don't believe in this team and they will lose next week.
24. Tulsa - Give Conference USA some love.
25. Pittsburgh - Getting ready for next week's win over Rutgers.

Also recieving consideration - Texas A&M, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Alabama, Boston College.

Out: Virginia Tech, Georgia

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I really wish I could put Texas A&M in the top 25. They're a fluke bomb away from being undefeated.

earthquake!
10-15-2006, 12:00 PM
here's mine

1. Ohio State
2. Texas
3. Michigan
4. USC
5. Auburn
6. Florida
7. West Virginia
8. Tennessee
9. California
10. Clemson
11. Louisville
12. LSU
13. Notre Dame
14. Georgia Tech
15. Oklahoma
16. Wisconsin
17. Boise State
18. Oregon
19. Missouri
20. Arkansas
21. Iowa
22. Nebraska
23. Rutgers
24. Tulsa
25. Pittsburgh

Boner
10-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Alright, signficant changes in the BONER TOP 25 this week.

The big drops are Florida, Georgia , Mizzou. I only had Iowa at 22, so a pretty small fall outta the top 25 for them.

The big jumps are Rutgers (who based on the chief principle of the Boner Top 25 --ranking teams based on what they have done this year not what they did last year or are projected to do this year -- actually merits a higher ranking than fellow undefeated Big Easter West Virginia), Texas, and Wisconsin.

1. Ohio State: You wouldn't expect an obvious No. 1 when there are 7 undefeateds, but this is simple.

2. Michigan: Hail to the motherfuckers, Hail to the big cocksuckers, Hail, Hail to Michigan the cesspool of the world... Hail to their racist law school, hail to Lloyd Carr's anal pustule, Hail, Hail to Michigan the assholes of the world.

3. Texas: They just beat the Big 12's fourth best team within an inch of their lives. I still harbor realistic hope that they lose in Lincoln on Saturday, but boy are they loaded on D and at the offensive skill positions other than QB.

4. USC: There is a clear line of demarcation between the top 2 and everyone else. I put them a hair behind Texas despite Texas' one loss because USC has looked so pedestrian this season.

5. Tennessee: They're the best team in the best conference in football. That anal plunging of Cal looks really good right now.

6. Louisville: The worse Miami keeps playing, the less that victory means. Add in two mediocre-looking wins over Middle and Cincy, and I have to drop them a couple spots this week.

7. Rutgers: Yes, Rutgers.

8. West Virginia: I was so high on these guys to start the year, but they have failed to impress lately. That win over Mississippi State was much closer than the score indicates. And MSU sucks.

9. Arkansas: They went into Auburn and stomped the Tigers' testicles. They beat Vandy in Vandy. They beat a decent Bama team. While the critics will point to the USC debacle, McFadden was at 50 percent with a toe injury and Robert Johnson was the starting QB.

10. Auburn:

10. Cal: They will beat USC. You can put it on the board. YES!

11. Florida:

12. Clemson: Whoulda thunk the ACC showdown would be this weekend between Clemson and Beorgia Tech? Not this Tech diehard.

13: Notre Dame: No comment.

14. Georgia Tech: Dear God, please let Tech win above-referenced game.

15. Boise State: Well they're undefeated. And there's not that much beyond the top 15 in college football this year anyway.

16. LSU: Apparently Miles may lose his job if this team doesn't win out. The trip to Fayetville will cost him his job.

17. Wisconsin. They're defense has shutdown everyone other than Michigan in the 2nd half of that game.

18. Nebraska: They have a top 5 D and a mediocre offense.

19. Boston College: They've beat Clemson, Virginia Tech, BYU, and (don't laugh) Central Michigan. They're pretty decent.

20. Oregon: I guess. They're a fraud though.

21: Missouri: Losing by 6 at Kyle Field is not a bad loss. Let's see what happens from here though.

22: Tulsa: What up Clint.

23: Pitt : The Big East is back.

24: Texas A&M : Sure to get blasted for this one.

25: Oklahoma : They're in deep doo-doo without AP.

DROPPING OUT: Iowa, Georgia

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Rutgers hasn't done anything of note that warrants inclusion in the top ten. Oh Boner, you're such a cad.

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 01:23 PM
P.S. Colt McCoy set a record for most TD passes in one game by a Texas quarterback and he's a freshman so your claim that they are lacking at the QB position is laughable man, ha!

Boner
10-15-2006, 01:40 PM
what has West Virginia done to merit inclusion in the top 10?

pretty sure Rutgers SOS is better than WV's.

Boner
10-15-2006, 01:44 PM
P.S. Colt McCoy set a record for most TD passes in one game by a Texas quarterback and he's a freshman so your claim that they are lacking at the QB position is laughable man, ha!

let's see what happens in Lincoln next week.

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 01:52 PM
See, the way I make my poll is that the #1 team in the country are more likely to beat everyone on the list and each progrssive step down is fewer and fewer teams they can more than likely beat, you know? In effect I'm saying WV can beat everyone but OSU, Michigan, Texas, USC, Auburn, and Florida. Your top 25 on the other hand seems to have no criteria that can be readily defined* other than your whim. Which is cool but Rutgers this week, Mizzou last week. These teams aren't in the top 10% talent wise or results wise. Rutgers offense isn't as good as WVU.

*I will note that you said this:

the chief principle of the Boner Top 25 --ranking teams based on what they have done this year not what they did last year or are projected to do this year

Which is then refuted when you say this:

25: Oklahoma : They're in deep doo-doo without AP.

Boner
10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
OU is an exception because I hate them and refuse to give them credit.

I stand by the chief principle of the Boner Top 25. It's not pics on a whim. We give strong credit to being undefeated. I would rank the undefeateds 1 through 7 but there is no way you can put Boise in the top 7 and no way to keep Texas or Tennessee out.

By your own definition, the Trotsky poll is entirely subjective. It's just a you call em as you see em.

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Top 25s are by nature almost entirely subjective.

Boner
10-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Not the computer polls.

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 02:06 PM
I barely know how those work, but I do know they use the subjective poll numbers as part of the final product.

beef curtains
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
USC is getting far too much credit by you people

TuralyonW3
10-15-2006, 03:39 PM
West Virginia loss Louisville + USC loss to both Cal and Oregon + Michigan loss to OSU =
TX + OSU rematch in AZ

The only obstacle I can see is an undefeated Louisville.

The BIG question is, if Michigan beats OSU, who the HELL is going play them in AZ? Talk about a huge fucking BCS debacle.

And yeah Boner your Rutgers position is laughable. You know about the Navy QB situation right?

Netphorian Gadabout
10-15-2006, 03:42 PM
OK, here's mine:

1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Southern Cal (I don't know why I have them this high)
5. Tennessee
6. Auburn
7. Lousiville
8. Florida
9. West Virginia
10. California
11. Clemson
12. Arkansas
13. Notre Dame
14. Boise State
15. Nebraska
16. LSU
17. Georgia Tech
18. Wisconsin
19. Oregon
20. Pitt
21. Missouri
22. Tulsa
23. Georgia
24. Rutgers (they're junk but I can't leave an undefeated team out altogether)
25. Wake Forest

Boner
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
The only obstacle I can see is an undefeated Louisville.

And yeah Boner your Rutgers position is laughable. You know about the Navy QB situation right?

Right because Navy is such a pass-oriented offense. No wait, they rank 116 in passing offense.

And how bout the obstacle that is two road games against Nebraska. GL.

I think it's time to repost your sister's phone number for these idiotic comments.

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 04:33 PM
1. Ohio St.
2. Michigan
wow, there really is no solid #3, is there?
3. USC (by default)
4. Texas
5. Auburn (gotta give them credit for bouncing back. i didn't even give them a chance against the Gators.)
6. Florida
7. Tennessee (It really is difficult to rank these SEC teams. ugh.)
8. Notre Dame (eh. why not. the fact that they had obvious jitters against GT and still took care of business gives this some justification, I think)
9. California
10. Arkansas (how impressive does that Auburn victory look now??)
11. Clemson
12. Louisville (ability to overcome injuries puts them ahead of WVU)
13. West Virginia
14. LSU
15. Oregon
16. Nebraska
17. Wisconsin
18. Boston College
19. Oklahoma
20. Texas A&M
21. Iowa (man, they disappointed me yesterday)
22. Georgia
23. Rutgers
24. Wake Forest? why the hell not
25. Pitt

Fuck Boise St.

Boner
10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
im not understanding how Iowa is a top 25 team

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 04:42 PM
my picks for 3-7 could be entirely inverted and i'd be pretty cool with it.

I just have a tough time knocking USC down for not blowing teams out. wins are wins. i'll keep them up there until they lose. which will happen soon. And I really like Tennessee....but Florida beat them. hard to justify putting Tenn ahead of Florida when you look at that. and then Auburn beat Florida, and so I can't feel good about putting them behind Florida. you know?

I really think Florida, Tennessee, OSU, Michigan, and Auburn are the best teams in the country. But the Arkansas loss creates problems for me. blah.

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
im not understanding how Iowa is a top 25 team

me neither. but....there just aren't 25 really solid teams, in my opinion.

fuck, i just realized i don't have a #11.

dammit.

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
to be honest, no one outside my top 10 impresses me very much.

Nate the Grate
10-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I love how you guys brag about how accurate your top 25's are, yet you can't justify having Notre Dame as low as they are. it makes a ton of sense to put them lower than a team they beat. just admit you guys don't like them, mmmkay?

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I love how you guys brag about how accurate your top 25's are, yet you can't justify having Notre Dame as low as they are. it makes a ton of sense to put them lower than a team they beat. just admit you guys don't like them, mmmkay?

Putting them behind GT is pretty ridiculous. But, I can see them being anywhere from 8-15. They haven't really done much this year. If they beat USC, it will be a different story.

Boner
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Putting them behind GT is pretty ridiculous..

5. Auburn
10. Arkansas

11. Clemson
18. Boston College

Boner
10-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Do you need a refresher course on the outcomes of these games?

Nate the Grate
10-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, it's not like GT has really done anything this season that warrants them being ahead of a team they lost to.

Boner
10-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, it's not like GT has really done anything this season that warrants them being ahead of a team they lost to.

They put a pretty good licking on Samford.

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 05:31 PM

If GT had beaten Florida (or any good team for that matter), then I'd see why you would put them ahead of ND. But they haven't.

You know your logic is flawed here.

TuralyonW3
10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Right because Navy is such a pass-oriented offense. No wait, they rank 116 in passing offense.

Last time I checked the quarterback was a pretty integral part of the triple option offense.

I'd love to see Rutgers beat up on Auburn.

sppunk
10-15-2006, 05:33 PM
1. Michigan
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. USC
5. W. Va
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn
8. Florida
9. California
10. Notre Dame
11. Ga Tech
12. LSU
13. Clemson
14. Louisville
15. Oklahoma (they are DONE now though, and will be lucky to win 3 more games this season so they will drop out of the Top 25 very quickly)
16. Arkansas
17. Wisconsin
18. Oregon
19. Nebraska
20. Rutgers
21. Boise State
22. Pittsburgh
23. Boston College
24. Texas A&M
25. Wake Forest, I guess

Boner
10-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Auburn didn't have an answer for the best RB in the country - Darren McFadden - and they wouldn't have an answer for the 2nd best RB in the country either in Raymell Rice. Rutgers would beat Auburn on a neutral field.

TuralyonW3
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Auburn didn't have an answer for the best RB in the country - Darren McFadden - and they wouldn't have an answer for the 2nd best RB in the country either in Raymell Rice. Rutgers would beat Auburn on a neutral field.

Yeah I'm sure Rutgers O-line would really give Rice alot of opportunities against the little pushovers on Auburn's D-line.

TuralyonW3
10-15-2006, 05:48 PM
holy shit why I am wasting time arguing that Rutgers isn't the 7th best team in the country

Netphorian Gadabout
10-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Rutgers would beat Auburn on a neutral field.
That... just... wha--...

Eulogy
10-15-2006, 09:28 PM
1. Michigan
2. Ohio State

I'd like to hear the reasoning behind this.

Trotskilicious
10-15-2006, 10:09 PM
I love how you guys brag about how accurate your top 25's are, yet you can't justify having Notre Dame as low as they are. it makes a ton of sense to put them lower than a team they beat.

I don't think anyone is bragging about accuracy. I'm pretty sure I talked about how entirely subjective these polls are in the first place. Besides, is there anyone that Notre Dame beat that is any good? The answer is no, they were dusted by Michigan, struggled against Georgia Tech, and almost lost to Michigan State save a miracle. I put them no lower than any team they beat.

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
1. Ohio State - DUH! Camel Knees and co. won't be truly tested until the U of M game, however.

2. Michigan - No fucking way USC should be ahead of them. I'm worried about the Iowa game, though...

3. USC - Overrated but still undefeated. That's gotta count for something.

4. Texas - Looking better and better

5. West Virginia - See USC

6. Auburn - Bouncing back with a nice win over Florida.

7. Louisville

8. Tennessee

9. Cal

10. Florida - Chris Leak better watch out.

11. Clemson

12. Notre Dame - On cruise control until the last game of the season.

13. Georgia Tech

14. Boise State

15. Arkansas

16. Wisconsin

17. LSU

18. Rutgers

19. Oregon

20. Nebraska

21. Boston College

22. Oklahoma

23. Missouri

24. Iowa - Who the fuck loses to INDIANA?!

25. Georgia - A reluctant vote

Eulogy
10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
12. Georgia Tech

13. Notre Dame - On cruise control until the last game of the season.

again....why?

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 10:16 AM
again....why?

Fixed.

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I don't think anyone is bragging about accuracy. I'm pretty sure I talked about how entirely subjective these polls are in the first place. Besides, is there anyone that Notre Dame beat that is any good? The answer is no, they were dusted by Michigan, struggled against Georgia Tech, and almost lost to Michigan State save a miracle. I put them no lower than any team they beat.

Yup. They'll make believers out of me if they beat USC, which suddenly seems possible given the fact that USC almost lost to Arizona State.

Trotskilicious
10-16-2006, 10:38 AM
The comptor says ND is better than Texas. *sigh*

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
The comptor says ND is better than Texas. *sigh*

Well, we all know what happens when we leave the thinking to the 'puters.

http://www.bcs-sucks.com/images/nobcs3.gif

Trotskilicious
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Really. The computer can't see that Notre Dame was awful for 50 minutes against a terrible MSU team.

Eulogy
10-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Really. The computer can't see that Notre Dame was awful for 50 minutes against a terrible MSU team.

MSU experienced its yearly meltdown in the second half of that game. They were not at all terrible before that point in the year.

Trotskilicious
10-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Well ok I'll grant you that but Notre Dame looked like shit.

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
ND isn't TERRIBLE, but they're not top 10. Their offense, though potent, lacks a running back (sorry, but Darius Walker sucks) and their defense is a joke. Zbikowski should stick to Toughman competitions.

How 'bout my hometown Broncos holding Heisman candidate RB Garrett Wolfe to 25 yards on the ground in a 16-14 homecoming victory over Northern Illinois!! :D

Trotskilicious
10-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Notre Dame isn't terrible, no, but they haven't played very well against good competition. I still don't understand how they beat Michigan State. I watched the game on repeat, knowing what happened, and I still don't understand it. Maybe the Catholic Church really is the one true faith.

Crippler went to Western Michigan. I can't believe how well they played against Wolfe, I guess they just totally keyed in on him. The Broncos D played better against Wolfe than OSU did.

Tchocky
10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Notre Dame isn't terrible, no, but they haven't played very well against good competition. I still don't understand how they beat Michigan State. I watched the game on repeat, knowing what happened, and I still don't understand it. Maybe the Catholic Church really is the one true faith.

Crippler went to Western Michigan. I can't believe how well they played against Wolfe, I guess they just totally keyed in on him. The Broncos D played better against Wolfe than OSU did.

Who's Crippler? That the nickname of some football player I should know about?

Trotskilicious
10-16-2006, 11:37 AM
A former netphorian who liked wrestling way too much.

Boner
10-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I adjusted my rankings to move up ND. I think that Eulogy and Nate the G are correct that GT has not done anything to merit being ahead of ND.

I considered moving up Oklahoma since you guys moaned about that, but then realized the best win they have is UAB if I'm not mistaken.

Eulogy
10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
I adjusted my rankings to move up ND. I think that Eulogy and Nate the G are correct that GT has not done anything to merit being ahead of ND.

I considered moving up Oklahoma since you guys moaned about that, but then realized the best win they have is UAB if I'm not mistaken.

I realized this morning that I had Nebraska at 16 and 19. I don't know what the hell is wrong with me this week. So I threw Pitt in at #25.

Eulogy
10-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Well ok I'll grant you that but Notre Dame looked like shit.

not in the second half. aside from that two-fumble possession, they looked incredibly efficient on offense, and the defense didn't look too bad either. I think the first half shows just how rattled they were after that ass-beating that Michigan gave them. I think they let the media attention get to their heads, and when Michigan showed them that they weren't a top-5 team by any stretch of the imagination, they lost all faith in themselves. But I think they're getting it back, and I'm starting to believe that they will be the team to finally take down USC. Unless Cal does it first, of course.

Boner
10-16-2006, 12:17 PM
i will calcluate the first Netphoria top 25 tonight while watching the Bears stomp AZ's testicles. get in your votes pre 7 CST.