View Full Version : The Information

waltermcphilp
10-05-2006, 03:56 PM
anyone get this cd? its pretty decent, not Beck's best but i appreciate some new tunes, and the dvd is rather entertaining. Thoughts?

Karl Connor
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
i downloaded it yesterday. usually he'll make a quirky pop record and then a more somber, folk act. after guero i thought we were getting the successor to sea change. i dont think this is the case

but i like a lot to the songs. its pretty psychedelic and complex

waltermcphilp
10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
i wonder why he started to do some stuff on this album back in 2003 then stop and do Guero instead

davin
10-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Yes, The Information has exceeded my expectations.

I think a couple songs could have even fit on Guero, in terms of stlye, etc. But overall there's more use of guitar, acoustic guitar, guitar strumming, etc. than on Guero. So it kinda has that mutations/sea change elements, but definitely more upbeat and radio-friendly overall.

You have to give props to Beck for cranking this material out. He is a hard working guy, especially putting this new CD together when just coming off the Guero tour....which was great btw, except for the comatose crowds. Either way, Beck is a welcome necesity in today's music scene.

Anyway, who produced the last few Beck albums? Does he produce himself?

I love how he throws in all sorts of standard casio keybopard sounds and presets and uses them to his advantage. Is this new CD available in 5.1 like Guero was? Guero 5.1 was fucking awesome.

davin
10-05-2006, 04:15 PM
i wonder why he started to do some stuff on this album back in 2003 then stop and do Guero instead
:think: tell me more...

Karl Connor
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM

i think its because he wanted to take the opportunity to work with the dust brothers. collaborations can be hard to schedule in for professional musicians, i'd assume

waltermcphilp
10-05-2006, 04:18 PM
i don;t know, im pretty sure he was working on the information first, then just sorta stopped or something and moved onto Guero. the guy who did the information, Nigel Godrich, did Mutataion and Seachange, the dust brothers did Guero i believe

davin
10-05-2006, 04:35 PM
i don;t know, im pretty sure he was working on the information first, then just sorta stopped or something and moved onto Guero. the guy who did the information, Nigel Godrich, did Mutataion and Seachange, the dust brothers did Guero i believe

that makes perfect sense. and helps describe some similarities between the works. thanks.

waltermcphilp
10-05-2006, 04:49 PM
no problem

waltermcphilp
10-05-2006, 10:41 PM
this doesn't deserve its own thread but i was curious if anyone knew anything on the deluxe version of odelay thats supposed to come out sometime this year?