Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Glad Theo made that deal to "Help the Sox in 2006" and also "in the future."

Sanchez ERA 3.22
Beckett ERA 5.11

way to throw in Ramirez, Boy Genius

EastCoastDouche
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
This may go down as a worse trade than the Bambino trade.

Hanley is a stud too. Fellow Sox fans like sppunk point out how his numbers are comparable to Alex Gonzalez. I'd say Hanley is doing quite well hitting lead-off full-time in his first big league season.

Anibal and Hanley will both be perennial all stars.

I think I may no longer be a Sox fan after tonight.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:24 PM
This may go down as a worse trade than the Bambino trade.

Hanley is a stud too. Fellow Sox fans like sppunk point out how his numbers are comparable to Alex Gonzalez. I'd say Hanley is doing quite well hitting lead-off full-time in his first big league season.

Anibal and Hanley will both be perennial all stars.

I think I may no longer be a Sox fan after tonight.
Hanley makes less, has better offensive numbers, is under control for 6 years, and will improve every year, so I'd say he's a lot better than Gonzalez, who at his best is only as good as a rookie.

hey stop breaking character

EastCoastDouche
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
how crazy would that be if the Unit got a no-hitter tonight too.

5 innings inthe book.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:27 PM
yeah, i'm watching. i was going to go to the store, but i'm waiting.

too bad he's walked a guy

EastCoastDouche
09-06-2006, 08:28 PM
hey stop breaking character

yeah i missed a great opportunity to offer my passionate support for the worst trade in recent baseball history.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:30 PM
exactly.

oh and i'm sure sppunk's answer would be the same as the arroyo deal: "well he wouldn't have pitched well in boston!"

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:31 PM
i think sppunk has prof. farnsworth's "What If?" machine

EastCoastDouche
09-06-2006, 08:36 PM
actually he will deny this but we talked about the trade 2 weeks ago and he still supported it. his main schtick was that sanchez wouldnt be doing this well in the american league, especially at fenway. also kept saying ramirez is just alex gonzalez but younger. also said the money factors don't matter in boston because they have to spend spend spend to keep up with the yanks anyway.

EastCoastDouche
09-06-2006, 08:47 PM
3 more innings

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
actually he will deny this but we talked about the trade 2 weeks ago and he still supported it. his main schtick was that sanchez wouldnt be doing this well in the american league, especially at fenway. also kept saying ramirez is just alex gonzalez but younger. also said the money factors don't matter in boston because they have to spend spend spend to keep up with the yanks anyway.hahhaha

wrong on every count. also theo claiming the SOx "couldn't afford" Abreu and crying poor was fucking hillarious

sppunk
09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
The Sox are under a self-imposed cap. Whether I agree with this or not is beside the point - it's there and that's how they will operate. They have quite a bit of debt from past failed ownership groups or something, I guess. With that cap in place, they will not throw cash for a player like New York can and will.

Congratulations to Anibal Sanchez - kids pitched better than anyone could imagine. He spared it up in AA for a good bit of this season then came from nowhere. I still believe Mr. Gopher has more upside than Sanchez, but he sure as hell hasn't shown that much this season.

Arroyo has greatly regressed to the mean this season. For injury sake we surely could have used him, but you could never imagine you'd have the injury issues Boston has had with its pitching staff this season.

Anyway, again, great job for Sanchez. I hope he doesn't lose again this season and Florida makes it to the World Series. People bitched about their ownership, but they clearly knew what they were looking for in the firesale and have gathered a tremendous amount of talent.

Nate the Grate
09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
hindsight 20/20

no wait, you guys are baseball geniuses. my bad.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
He spared it up in AA for a good bit of this season then came from nowhere. .

he had a 3.26 ERA in 85 innings at AA this year. walked 27; struck out 92.

care to retract?

sppunk
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
3-6 at Carolina - compared to how lights-out he's pitching now, that's sparing it up.

Nate the Grate
09-06-2006, 09:55 PM
he had a 3.26 ERA in 85 innings at AA this year. walked 27; struck out 92.

care to retract?

you do realize that that's not really that good at AA, right? I mean, it's not ace of the staff, no-hitter good.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Nimrod, where are you?

sppunk just cited a picther's minor league record to back up claims he "spared" it up at Double A when in fact he pitched stellar at Double A.

sppunk
09-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Anyway, Florida's the best story of the season and that trade looks asinine right now.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 09:58 PM
you do realize that that's not really that good at AA, right? I mean, it's not ace of the staff, no-hitter good.

sppunk said he "spared" it up.

3.26 with that K to BB ratio is hardly sparing it up.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Anyway, Florida's the best story of the season and that trade looks asinine right now.

Anyway, you have zero credibility in sports threads cuz you make shit up, talk out your ass, and distort stats.

Billy Corgan expects more from you when discussing sports on a Smashing Pumpkins messageboard.

Nate the Grate
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm not even sure what the hell "sparing it up" means exactly, but a 1.27 WHIP at AA is not stellar.

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:01 PM
sppunk said he "spared" it up.

3.26 with that K to BB ratio is hardly sparing it up.
For a AA pitcher, that's not "OH MY GOD HE'S THE NEXT STEVE CARLTON" good. When you pitch better in the majors than you did in AA is odd - that's where my 'spare' comment comes from.

Nowhere did I say he was bad or struggled.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
sparing it up means "sucking."

sppunk thinks that because he went 3-6 he sucked.

you, sppunk, and east coast douche need to go jack each other off while looking at nudes of theo.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
For a AA pitcher, that's not "OH MY GOD HE'S THE NEXT STEVE CARLTON" good. When you pitch better in the majors than you did in AA is odd - that's where my 'spare' comment comes from.

Nowhere did I say he was bad or struggled.

Can you just admit you talked out your ass.

Because I'm not gonna let this go till you do.

Your rationale makes no sense.

You said he was sparing it up at Double A. You then were confronted with the fact that he wasn't sparing it up at Double A. You're trying to talk your way out of it but it's not working.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
3-6 at Carolina - compared to how lights-out he's pitching now, that's sparing it up.
records are completely useless statistics.

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't use spare as a form of suck. I use it as a replacement for "nothing great."

Moving on. What are the chances FLA reaches the playoffs?

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
hindsight 20/20

no wait, you guys are baseball geniuses. my bad.
how is it hindsight when i said at the time, on this board, that it was a horrible trade

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
sox fans can't admit when their team makes a terrible deal. especially since Boy Genius took over. everything is francona's fault.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
especially at double a where they don't even go deep into games and middle relief guys are often dude with zero major league potential.

there was just a game tonight a friend had money on where a team blew a 9-run lead in the ninth. only to win in the bottom of the ninth.

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:06 PM
This is funny though. From yesterday through tonight:

Brandon Arroyo: 9 IP, 3 H, 0 ER
Anibel Sanchez: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 ER
Derek Lowe - 8 IP, 3 H, 0 ER

lol

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
sox fans can't admit when their team makes a terrible deal. especially since Boy Genius took over. everything is francona's fault.
I'm not on that bandwagon. I don't think Francona has done much to hurt the team. When he's not been giving decent players to work with, you can't expect miracles from any manager.

Epstein has really made some awful moves in the past few years. Dude simply can't build a bullpen. Granted, he's had bad luck with recent FA signings, but still he's sucked.

Nimrod's Son
i thought arroyo had "regressed to the mean"

you probably mean the fact that he wasn't winning as many ballgames, which as wel all know is the most important stat to judge a pitcher's performance

coffee spoon
I don't use spare as a form of suck. I use it as a replacement for "nothing great."

Moving on. What are the chances FLA reaches the playoffs?

we both know that's a lie.

and i say pretty good.

san diego can't hit. they can't keep getting this good of production out of woody williams and clay hensley. although it is happening again tonight. if the pads win it will be because of their bullpen and timely hitting.

i like florida to win the nl wild card

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
His stats have regressed back to his Boston-esque numbers since the first month of the season when he was pitching so great. I sometimes wonder how much the NL can make a mediocre AL pitcher look better, and how much the AL can make a very good NL pitcher look better.

Anyone ever seen a number on that type of thing?

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
we both know that's a lie.

and i say pretty good.

san diego can't hit. they can't keep getting this good of production out of woody williams and clay hensley. although it is happening again tonight. if the pads win it will be because of their bullpen and timely hitting.

i like florida to win the nl wild card
Hensley has actually been better than his record would reflect. I've been watching them all year - the guy has been a victim of a lot of bad luck, poor defense, and no run support.

I fully believe San Diego can not only make the playoffs, with Peavy/Wells and that bullpen they can beat the Mets

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
His stats have regressed back to his Boston-esque numbers since the first month of the season when he was pitching so great. I sometimes wonder how much the NL can make a mediocre AL pitcher look better, and how much the AL can make a very good NL pitcher look better.

Anyone ever seen a number on that type of thing?
It's called ERA+

sppunk
09-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Right, but I haven't seen a league average ERA+, just individual pitchers. I haven't looked really, granted, but have not seen one.

And it's time to sleep. I have to wake up at 5 a.m. Kill me now.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Right, but I haven't seen a league average ERA+, just individual pitchers. I haven't looked really, granted, but have not seen one.

And it's time to sleep. I have to wake up at 5 a.m. Kill me now.
You don't understand how ERA+ works.

League average would be 100. Anything lower is worse, higher is better.

ERA+ is league and park adjusted.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Hensley has actually been better than his record would reflect.

yeah i lost money on that monday night game where he gave up 1 run in 8 innings of work but the pads got shut out by hennesey and benitez/

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:29 PM
the padres are doing it again tonight

Sepiae
09-06-2006, 10:30 PM

You must deal with a lot of fucking Sox fans in your daily life. In San Diego.

What the fuck? I'm just glad he hasn't bled to death at this point.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
i think the mets better pray that they don't draw san diego, la, or florida in the first round.

coffee spoon
09-06-2006, 10:33 PM
which essentially means rooting for san fran or philly and even if philly wins then they have to hope st louis finishes lower than the nl west champ. mets would take out stl in a five-game series and probably any nl team in a 7-game series.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
which essentially means rooting for san fran or philly and even if philly wins then they have to hope st louis finishes lower than the nl west champ. mets would take out stl in a five-game series and probably any nl team in a 7-game series.
The Phils can't play the Mets in round one.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
You must deal with a lot of fucking Sox fans in your daily life. In San Diego.
Yes and no.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
btw amy when I say "sox fans" I am generalizing to the mentality of the standard SoSH poster.. someone like Nate the Grate... certainly not you.

Elvis The Fat Years
09-06-2006, 11:06 PM
hey ace. do you have the white sox in the playoffs? also, how many wins are you putting the bulls on this season?

and mike. have you been watching the wsop? i just caught up on it tonight and that nobles guy is out of his mind. and it sucked to to daniel go out, he was playin good last week.

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 11:08 PM
hey ace. do you have the white sox in the playoffs? also, how many wins are you putting the bulls on this season?

and mike. have you been watching the wsop? i just caught up on it tonight and that nobles guy is out of his mind. and it sucked to to daniel go out, he was playin good last week.
Nobles is a dumb piece of shit. He's one of the reasons I don't really play online anymore. Racers are bad poker players. They can get exteremely lucky and build up a stack but they'll piss it away, as he did. 90% of online players will go all in on a pot where their stack is 10x the size. It's fucking stupid.

For every Nobles still left on day 3, 100 have been knocked out.

Elvis The Fat Years
09-06-2006, 11:16 PM
have you been watching high stakes poker?

Nimrod's Son
09-06-2006, 11:53 PM
have you been watching high stakes poker?
I have never seen it. We don't get GSN here