View Full Version : Hispanics Now Outnumber Blacks in U.S.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 01:21 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Hispanics have surpassed blacks as the nation's largest minority group, the Census Bureau said Tuesday.

The Latino population grew to 37 million in July 2001, up 4.7 percent from April 2000. The black population increased 2 percent during the same period, to 36.1 million.

The estimates are the Census Bureau's first statistics on race and ethnicity since results from the 2000 census were released two years ago.

Census Bureau demographer Roberto Ramirez said it has long been expected that Hispanics would someday surpass blacks because their birth and immigration rates are higher.

``And the trend shows it will clearly be increasing more in the future,'' Ramirez said.

Hispanics now comprise nearly 13 percent of the U.S. population, which grew to 284.8 million in July 2001. That's up from 35.3 million, or 12.5 percent of the country's 281.4 million residents in April 2000.

Blacks make up 12.7 percent of the nation's population, up from 12.6 percent in April 2000. The black population grew by 700,000 in the 15 months after the census was released.

Whites remained the largest single population group, numbering about 199.3 million in July 2001, nearly 70 percent of all U.S. residents.

Asians are the next largest minority group after blacks and Hispanics, at about 12.1 million, or 4 percent of the population.

The 2000 census, for the first time, allowed people to check off more than one racial category, increasing the number of possible choices for racial origin from five in 1990 to 63.

A separate question also asks if someone is of Hispanic ethnicity. The federal government considers ``Hispanic'' an ethnicity instead of a race, so people of Hispanic ethnicity can be of any race.

On the Net:

Census Bureau release: www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2003/cb03-16.html

SO BASICALLY, MOVE BITCH GET OUT THE WAY.

SuckSuckStyle
01-22-2003, 01:25 AM
word.

I love living where I do. There are more minorities than white people.

Samsa
01-22-2003, 01:27 AM
oh man. won't it be cool when the foreign people outnumber us <i>real</i> americans??? :D like, hopefully it will happen while we're still a superpower, we'd be the first foreign superpower EVER i can't explain it :D

Samsa
01-22-2003, 01:31 AM
i'm gonna have foreign babies :D

they're gonna be all brown and speak with a lisp and have an accent, and they're gonna carry magnums with them and sell crack in their free time :D

Ihaman
i fucking hate articles like this.
i mean...who the hell cares?

spa ced
Originally posted by Samsa
oh man. won't it be cool when the foreign people outnumber us <i>real</i> americans??? :D like, hopefully it will happen while we're still a superpower, we'd be the first foreign superpower EVER i can't explain it :D

??? WHAT THE FUCK?
Minorities are REAL Americans.
I'm hispanic and I was BORN in San Antonio, Texas.

Samsa
01-22-2003, 01:33 AM
aww to me you will always be foreign and unnatural :D

jared
01-22-2003, 01:39 AM
they pump out babies like every 10 months, whenever i am out i see like 10 groups of 15 mexicans more than half being under 10 years old

Samsa
01-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
someone's gonna make a jewish joke or comment soon, i can feel it.

is it too late for me to make a rabbit with a pancake on his head comment?

Toast
01-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Buenos dias, senoritas!

spa ced
01-22-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Ihaman
i fucking hate articles like this.
i mean...who the hell cares?

It's important douche.
Maybe not as important as a rabbit with a pancake on its head...:rolleyes:

SuckSuckStyle
01-22-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by killtheyouth
someone's gonna make a jewish joke or comment soon, i can feel it.

what do you think of when you think of jewish people? I think of ovens.

Samsa
Originally posted by sp_aced

It's important douche.
Maybe not as important as a rabbit with a pancake on its head...:rolleyes:

oh my god just the phrase "rabbit with a pancake on its head" makes me crack up

spa ced
Originally posted by bittertrance
they pump out babies like every 10 months, whenever i am out i see like 10 groups of 15 mexicans more than half being under 10 years old

Not all families are like that asshole.
My parents only had four kids.

SuckSuckStyle
01-22-2003, 02:21 AM

My parents only had four kids.

mine had two.

surrealist
01-22-2003, 02:23 AM
Actually the population is 12.9 on most days, then 13% on Tuesday mornings for an hour when I feel hispanic instead of asian. Damn, I keep fucking it up. Mutts always fuck it up.

Ihaman
01-22-2003, 02:24 AM
IT ISNT IMPORTANT!!!! AT ALL!!!

it's like saying "brunettes now outnumber red heads in the US"
or "green eyed people's population on rise!"

surrealist
01-22-2003, 02:27 AM

Shiiiieeeeet. I know damn well I'll hire me a red head before I hire a brunette. Those people are so fucking lazy. I need to know this info.

Ihaman
01-22-2003, 02:29 AM
so what do these statistics say? that employers will now be FORCED to hire hispanic people...because their population is on a rise?

surrealist
01-22-2003, 02:31 AM
so what do these statistics say? that employers will now be FORCED to hire hispanic people...because their population is on a rise?

There aren't enough Taco Bells on this side of town. With this info, I now have hope there will be plenty more.

Ihaman
01-22-2003, 02:35 AM
in new mexico the hispanic people make fun of the white people.

whites=minority

surrealist
01-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by surrealist

There aren't enough Taco Bells on this side of town. With this info, I now have hope there will be plenty more.

Ah oh, I'd like to point out my comment is only half racist. Damn halfy immunity!

bonsor
01-22-2003, 02:36 AM

My parents only had four kids. fuck, you are stupid.

surrealist
01-22-2003, 02:37 AM
in new mexico the hispanic people make fun of the white people.

whites=minority

:confused: I would have thought the smallest minority gets the most immunity say in making fun of people.

hereisnowhy
01-22-2003, 02:37 AM
"Visible minorities" are now half/more than half of the population here.

Conclusion: we have great food.

Boner
01-22-2003, 02:40 AM
Joy. We outnumber Blacks on Netphoria too, right?

As if the white trash of California don't do the same thing. I grew up around more white trash then Mexicans and it was pretty much a general rule that the poorer the person I went to school with the bigger his family.

Plus the whole Catholic factor that killtheyouth alluded to. Mormons are obviously the same way.

So basically poor, uneducated people regardless of race populate like crazy and certain religious groups populate like crazy.

Note: The Catholic Hispanic side of my family is about 5 times as big as the Jewish Pole side of my family.

jared
01-22-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
Joy. We outnumber Blacks on Netphoria too, right?

As if the white trash of California don't do the same thing. I grew up around more white trash then Mexicans and it was pretty much a general rule that the poorer the person I went to school with the bigger his family.

true

oh well i guess its a good thing we have seperate neighborhoods set up for these kinds of situations

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by ******
fuck, you are stupid.

Fuck you hippie.
It's a good thing I don't give a fuck about your opinion.

I hate people who make wide generalizations like "all Mexican parents have 10 kids."
That's why I *******d the example that my parents only had four kids.

01-22-2003, 03:15 AM
I, for one, welcome our new Hispanic overlords. Bienvenidos.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:19 AM

This change will shift interest in economic policies (federal funding, WELFARE HAHAHAHALOLOL!!), the business market will start catering more to minorities and product marketing/advertising will shift to capture more of the market.
These are just a few of the examples of things that will change.
Sure they're not going to change tomorrow, but they will change slowly over the course of the future.

jared
01-22-2003, 03:22 AM

product marketing/advertising will shift to capture more of the market.

half the billboards in sacramento are in spanish

Lie
01-22-2003, 03:22 AM
the business market will start catering more to minorities and product marketing/advertising will shift to capture more of the market

What the advertising market perceives as <i>catering</i> to minorities is going to be atrocious, believe you me.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:24 AM

half the billboards in sacramento are in spanish

You don't think I see that also in San Antonio? San Antonio is the Mexican New York of The USA.

The majority of USA doesn't see it.
They will in the future though...

aspecialkid
01-22-2003, 03:24 AM
good old USA, the day will be here soon when there are 10 taco bells, for every 1 burger king. ;)

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Lie

What the advertising market perceives as <i>catering</i> to minorities is going to be atrocious, believe you me.

The Chihuahua dog from Taco Bell was pretty bad, do you think they can top that?

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by aspecialkid
good old USA, the day will be here soon when there are 10 taco bells, for every 1 burger king. ;)

I dislike both of those.
Do you have Taco Cabanas, there?

aspecialkid
01-22-2003, 03:47 AM

I dislike both of those.
Do you have Taco Cabanas, there?

nope, sure dont, but we have taco boy though ;)

spa ced
01-22-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by aspecialkid

nope, sure dont, but we have taco boy though ;)

Taco Boy? Hmm...
Just wait until you get Taco Cabana.
You will never eat at Taco Bell ever again.
Well unless you want to continue eating artificial Mexican food.

Boner
01-22-2003, 04:07 AM
I ate at Taco Cabana while I was in North Mexico, aka San Antonio. I agree that it completely destroys Taco Bell, Taco Johns, and Taco USA. But I still eat that horseshit known as Taco Bell because it is open late and cheap as fuck.

Taco Cabana is open 24-7 and they serve alcohol by the way. Best fast food restaraunt evar. I think.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
I ate at Taco Cabana while I was in North Mexico, aka San Antonio. I agree that it completely destroys Taco Bell, Taco Johns, and Taco USA. But I still eat that horseshit known as Taco Bell because it is open late and cheap as fuck.

Taco Cabana is open 24-7 and they serve alcohol by the way. Best fast food restaraunt evar. I think.

Oh man.
I'm craving tacos now.
Thanks.
:mad:

noir cat
01-22-2003, 04:27 AM
Taco Boy? Hmm...
Just wait until you get Taco Cabana.
You will never eat at Taco Bell ever again.
Well unless you want to continue eating artificial Mexican food. Tacobell food is to real Mexicans as "Chinese" food in the US (excluding Chinatown in Cal. and NY) is to real Chinese people. I keep trying to tell people, and they don't understand.

Oh. Also. I wish people would make a unanimous decision in the US to have ENGLISH as the national language. Not Spanish or Spanglish. NO. ENGLISH. YES. Godmotherfuckinggoddammit.

Oh, and to kill 50% of the Cubans over here, thanks.

noir cat
01-22-2003, 04:28 AM
Oh, so now that the white men are the minority, are the rules going to change now in hiring for jobs?

Ihaman
01-22-2003, 04:33 AM
undivinemartyr, are you joking?

like...about anything you said in those posts.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by undivinemartyr

Oh. Also. I wish people would make a unanimous decision in the US to have ENGLISH as the national language. Not Spanish or Spanglish. NO. ENGLISH. YES. Godmotherfuckinggoddammit.

I agree about this but I don't think you can ever make speaking English a law.
There are entire communities that run like "Little Mexicos" with sole Spanish speaking business owners and things run pretty smoothly.
You have to understand that a great part of the Southwest/central was initially Mexico and because of Manifest Destiny was overtaken and deemed US land. Now I'm not even going to go into that whole bullshit about complaining about the USA because I'm NOT. What I'm saying is that you have to understand that for some Mexicans the BORDER crossed THEM, they crossed no border.
So why should they have to conform when they never left their original land?

Cubans? I don't know any Cubans.
My post is solely about Mexican Americans.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Oh, so now that the white men are the minority, are the rules going to change now in hiring for jobs?

NOOOOOOOOOO.
White men are not the minority.
Hispanics only make up about 13% of the US population.
There are 200 million white folk out there with only 37 million hispanics and 36 million blacks.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 04:54 AM
Okay more history but personal this time.
I'll give you my personal history from what I've put together.

Okay so Mexico used to have a state called Coahuila y Tejas.
My parents were born in Coahuila when it was Mexico but my parents were given permission to come to America because my father told whoever that he wanted his children to have a good education and life.
So he asked permission to come back to what was initially Mexico, just under a totally different flag now.
My parents don't speak English.
I don't think they should have to.
They're good hard working citizens who I'm very proud of.

This is flag of Coahuila y Tejas.
http://alamo-de-parras.welkin.org/resources/images/tejascohuila.jpg

sawdust restaurants
01-22-2003, 04:55 AM
Stop embarrassing yourself, Matt. To generalize what sp_aced was getting at, this sort of thing matters because it means the cultural fabric of America is changing. Hispanic culture isn't the same as African-American culture which isn't the same as Anglo-Saxon, Caucasian American culture. There's no INHERENT difference between Hispanics and Caucasians, sure. But there's sure in hell a cultural difference and a socio-economic difference--differences that don't exist between blondes and redheads, for example.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
Stop embarrassing yourself, Matt. To generalize what sp_aced was getting at, this sort of thing matters because it means the cultural fabric of America is changing. Hispanic culture isn't the same as African-American culture which isn't the same as Anglo-Saxon, Caucasian American culture. There's no INHERENT difference between Hispanics and Caucasians, sure. But there's sure in hell a cultural difference and a socio-economic difference--differences that don't exist between blondes and redheads, for example.

Yeah, I wanted to say socio-economic changes but felt intimidated and didn't do so...:erm

sawdust restaurants
01-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Yeah, I wanted to say socio-economic changes but felt intimidated and didn't do so...:erm

Why? It's not a racist thing to say or an inaccurate thing to say. It's factual, and it's an important change.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

Why? It's not a racist thing to say or an inaccurate thing to say. It's factual, and it's an important change.

Oh yeah I know it's not a racist thing to say.
I just figured I would be using the word just to sound really smart and that I truly didn't understand the implications "socio-economic" stood for.
It's just a very broad, all encompassing type of vague term and I dediced rather to give two examples.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 05:22 AM
I'm frustrated with my inability to state the feelings I have inside.
I did a very sloppy job on that history of Mexico thingy...

The point I was trying to make involved LAND.
How Texas and California (the 2 most populated states) used to be MEXICO and that when people cross borders they are going to back to land that at ONE POINT belonged to them.
Yes I know the American government is better than the Mexican government.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 05:27 AM
No one gives a fuck. Cool.
Then you all agree with me. Wonderful.

noir cat
01-22-2003, 05:38 AM
Oh, so now that the white men are the minority, are the rules going to change now in hiring for jobs? YES, that was a joke.

noir cat
01-22-2003, 05:40 AM
undivinemartyr, are you joking?

like...about anything you said in those posts. I was definitely NOT joking about the language thing. I mean. At least TRY to learn English!!! And DON'T fucking ruin a perfectly good language by mixing it! Goddammit.

bonsor
01-22-2003, 09:01 AM

Fuck you hippie.
It's a good thing I don't give a fuck about your opinion.

I hate people who make wide generalizations like "all Mexican parents have 10 kids."
That's why I *******d the example that my parents only had four kids. do you really think 4 kids in a family helps at all? You guys fuck like rabbits. That's the point. Want proof? Look at your god damn balooning population.

ava transformer
01-22-2003, 12:33 PM
I HAVE 2 CATS!!! :D

spa ced
01-22-2003, 01:33 PM
I was definitely NOT joking about the language thing. I mean. At least TRY to learn English!!! And DON'T fucking ruin a perfectly good language by mixing it! Goddammit.

Sigh
Did you even read ONE of my posts?

spa ced
01-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ******
do you really think 4 kids in a family helps at all? You guys fuck like rabbits. .

4 kids at one point was the standard for white parents.
Some Hispanics do fuck like rabbits, but then again some don't.
You have to take into account that more immigrants come from Mexico than any other country in the world and that's a major factor in the rise of population.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Oh and French is the 2nd official language of the USA.
What the fuck?
It should be Spanish.
I'm sure there are more Spanish speakers than French speakers.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 07:31 PM

Not important HUH?
I was watching CNN today and they had two hispanic senators talking about what this would do.
It was also on the front page of many newspapers.

So HAH to you!
Oh and your similar examples are just stupid.

Lie
01-22-2003, 07:43 PM
I can see Matt's point, though. Not that I believe these things aren't important, but with all the focus on socio-economic changes people could tend to stereotype even more, feel more threatened, and break into more defined groups. There are plenty of people from mixed race **********s and **********s in which they are techinically one thing but have been raised in such a way that they are really part of a different culture, and yet are still treated and categorized according to their race. It is interesting in a sociological sense, but whereas minorities have always been made to either live in separate communities or to learn to learn the ways of mainstream American culture, now it seems that there may be more actual FOCUS on minorities, and therefore, ironically, more misunderstanding. That much focus could be a very bad thing.

Lie
01-22-2003, 07:45 PM
I was definitely NOT joking about the language thing. I mean. At least TRY to learn English!!! And DON'T fucking ruin a perfectly good language by mixing it! Goddammit.

It's difficult enough getting by not knowing English in this country without having to also deal with people yelling at you to learn English.

King of the Horseflies
01-22-2003, 07:50 PM
my girfriend is mexican, but i'm regular.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Lie

Finally someone steps up to bat.
Let me digest what you said and I'll get back to you with my opinions.
I have some opinions related to your points but they don't directly address your statements.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 07:56 PM
OOPS okay I misread what you said Lie.
Anyways this is a good time to bring up a point here.

I think sole Spanish speaking Hispanics are probably more embarressed that they don't speak English than angry at the fact that English speaking Americans don't speak Spanish also.
My mom worked at a factory where a woman made her cry by telling her off because my mom didn't speak English.
The intolerance goes both ways.

bonsor
01-22-2003, 07:57 PM
As much as I'd like to agree with Ihaman and say it doesn't matter, it does. While green eyes and red hair are just another physical trait along with brown skin, cultures don't vary based on things like eye color as much as they do on ancestry and skin color. For instance, Jazz, Blues and Rap all came from Negros. Salsa and Flamenco guitar came from spain.

The comparison you made is similar to 'if a woman is raped by a person who is left handed, does that mean she will fear all left handed people?'. Of course not, because people who are left handed don't congregate in the same churches, go to the same concerts, eat the same foods or have the same values.

So, unfortunately, generalizations do apply when predicting the economic trends. Mexicans <I>generally</i> work very hard for very little money, and when mexicans pour into America via the Rio Grande, it will ultimately affect the economy. If that doesn't matter, then I don't know what does.

Though, I'm more disenchanted by the fact that 12.5 percent of my friends aren't hispanic.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Good points ******.

spa ced
01-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Lie
I can see Matt's point, though. Not that I believe these things aren't important, but with all the focus on socio-economic changes people could tend to stereotype even more, feel more threatened, and break into more defined groups. There are plenty of people from mixed race **********s and **********s in which they are techinically one thing but have been raised in such a way that they are really part of a different culture, and yet are still treated and categorized according to their race. It is interesting in a sociological sense, but whereas minorities have always been made to either live in separate communities or to learn to learn the ways of mainstream American culture, now it seems that there may be more actual FOCUS on minorities, and therefore, ironically, more misunderstanding. That much focus could be a very bad thing.

As the hispanics become the largest minority the politicians will try to rally them and get their vote and more of the issues important to Hispanics will come to the fore front and consequently change mainstream American culture.
That is positive focus.

jared
01-22-2003, 11:00 PM

As the hispanics become the largest minority the politicians will try to rally them and get their vote and more of the issues important to Hispanics will come to the fore front and consequently change mainstream American culture.
That is positive focus.

great then they will soon learn politicians dont give a shit about anyone but themselves