View Full Version : Attn. Gamers, FFVII: A.C.

DiscoJon
04-22-2006, 07:19 PM
So I took home a copy of the English-Dub of FFVII: Advent Children last night.

It was...alright... It looks great, I wish I had a larger high-def tv to showcase the amazing job they did. The sound effects and music are superb if you've got a decent 5.1 system like I do. The VOICES though, are not as good as you would hope. Most of the characters are borderline annoying at times.

The saving graces from it being a typical bad anime are the great graphics and the Cloud/Sephiroth battle at the end.

If you like the FF series you'll most likely enjoy it.

PkPhuoko
04-22-2006, 07:20 PM
you should buy the subtitled version (or d/l it)

i didnt like the ending... the fight was ok.... best fight of the movie was neo-bahamut vs everyone

DiscoJon
04-22-2006, 07:29 PM
I should have been more clear. I work in a local "indie" video store. Videos and Cds are released every Tuesday. Retailers recieve stuff to go on Tuesday the Friday before. The American release of FFVII: A.C. is on the 25th. The copy that I have is the "official" American release which has Japanese and English Audio, and more subtitle options than you can shake a stick at. It also has a second disc with some bonus materials.

COG
04-22-2006, 07:30 PM
You know you pretty much blew the one suprise in this movie in your next to last sentence.

That also ruined the movie (actually, it ruined the game), but to each his own.

COG
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
The saving graces from it being a typical bad anime are the great graphics and the Cloud/Sephiroth battle at the end.

This is the line I spoke of.

PkPhuoko
04-22-2006, 07:37 PM
If you didnt know cloud and sephiroth were going to battle you must not keep up with FFVII stuff

I'm looking forward to Crisis Core myself... only downside is it seems like its going to be all about Zaach

DiscoJon
04-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Dude, do you want me to edit it? Don't you think EVERYBODY would have figured out that the main villain is going to show up at some point?

Karl Connor
04-22-2006, 07:41 PM
i heard it was a huge letdown in terms of following up the FF7 mythos in terms of sheer storytelling ... but just from the trailers you can see that the CGI effects are so fucking good its something you can get baked and enjoy despite the cheesiness

PkPhuoko
04-22-2006, 07:56 PM
i heard it was a huge letdown in terms of following up the FF7 mythos in terms of sheer storytelling ... but just from the trailers you can see that the CGI effects are so fucking good its something you can get baked and enjoy despite the cheesiness

yeah the story is pretty fucking lame... without any spoilers

the bad guys story is lame

basicly story starts with cloud kickin ass

some bad shit happens

cloud trys to take on bad shit but cant do it alone

all the old characters show up (even cat sith (cat shit) and help cloud out

cloud fights the bad guy alone

the end

COG
04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
If you didnt know cloud and sephiroth were going to battle you must not keep up with FFVII stuff

I kinda figured that they would, but I was hoping they would make a good solid story to live up to the legacy of the game. Instead they made a Bukkake party for the fan boys. In terms of the story. The visuals were great, and the score is one of the best I have heard, but I wish I could forget the story because it tarnishes the game.

Ugly
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
About 10 years ago, Final Fantasy VII blew up the RPG videogame genre in North America. But, if you’ve invested hours in the game the ending left you a little bit … wanting, for lack of a better term. So, just shy of the decade anniversary, Square Studios have made a direct-to-DVD CGI animated movie sequel to that seminal game: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Picking up two years after the game ended, a deadly virus has descended upon the survivors of Migar, and only Cloud (sort of the Clint Eastwood of video gamming, but with more emotional hang-ups) can save the day while a spirit from his past threatens to tear him apart. Looking even more amazing than the already-amazing looking Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (the first feature effort by Square) Advent Children has a lot of energy and coolness to it, even if it’s a little obtuse plot-wise. Hell, I beat FF7 only a few weeks ago and I still had no idea what was going on at times. Advent Children looks real purty though, and makes the head-scratching plot forgivable. This’ll probably go down as some of the craziest and best looking action you’ll see all year (the final swordfight is downright eye-popping). The action moves at a nearly headache inducing pace, so bring some Aspirin. However, if you just roll with the style, you’ll see dozens of bits of coolness crammed into shots that last only seconds. For Final Fantasy VII gamers, you’ll weep tears of Pure Nerd Joy seeing old crew comes back to kick some ass. For non Final Fantasy gamers, this’ll have less appeal and probably be borderline incomprehensible, but still worthwhile on visual whiz-bang level. Definitely recommended for anyone who wants to see what CGI animation can do aside from talking fish and toys.

...all that being said, I'm excited to see how the English dub turned out (did that review off a fansub bootleg) because the translation was a bit too ... litteral. Alot of "I feel much shame" kind of lines. Also, I wants me DVD quality as opposed to 700 meg xvid quality. And I wanna see what the spec. features work out.